2017 Formula 1 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 338 comments
To an extent yes, but being an extension of the podium celebrations (and taty they stay on the podium) makes it less severe than the crowd surfing. If I said no you'd say I have a double standard lol

I don't not like Lewis, just the way he goes about things sometimes.

First time I've seen someone pissed at anyone winning in a sport celebrating said win with his fans. I think that F1's prestige really went down when sponsors started to take over the bodywork of cars - I find the clean, unsponsored 60s and earlier cars much more prestigious than anything after.

I just realized I left in a tangent; anyway, by your logic, F1 should be a super-exclusive event none of us should be able to watch, as it's more prestigious that way.

You guys are really making this out to be more than it is.

It's just a little thing that irks me. I have no hatred nor am I vehemently pissed off about it but you seem to have that feeling towards me just for having an opinion.

It's just a little thing that irks me. I have no hatred nor am I vehemently pissed off about it but you seem to have that feeling towards me just for having an opinion.
You did say you want Hamilton to leave F1 because he is more connected to his fans that most other drivers. It irks us that you don't want something that pretty much every F1 fan wants just because it damages the sports arguably non-existant prestige.

I can't wait for Lewis Hamilton to retire.
That gets interpreted as "I want him to leave the sport"? Absolutely not. I'm just looking forward to 5-10 years from now when who knows what the sport will look like. I am not actively wishing anything. That's a conclusion you drew in your own mind. Can we move on now? This thread loves to pick away at every little thing...

That gets interpreted as "I want him to leave the sport"? Absolutely not. I'm just looking forward to 5-10 years from now when who knows what the sport will look like. I am not actively wishing anything. That's a conclusion you drew in your own mind. Can we move on now? This thread loves to pick away at every little thing...
Well, I think you could have worded your post a bit better to avoid confusion, but anyway I do agree we should move on now, and I apologize for being rude myself.

So, I love how no one even bothered to point out Alonso retiring from the race, as if it was a normal thing. Oh wait, it is!:lol:
Has it been confirmed what it was? Although, both the fuel thingy and the oil thingy are made by Honda, right?

I think Red Bulls are being cheeky about upgrades. I think they got a bit more power this week. Look how Ricciardo was swallowing up the field in the second half of the race.

Hamilton got involved with the crowd all weekend and it was great to see the extended celebration. A very nice reward for thousands of loyal F1 fans.

Nothing wrong with an Englishman being on such a high either. We're not all "stiff upper lip".

Shocking luck with the tire's letting go so close to the end.

It's utterly perplexing how some people let one person get to them so much that they lose all sense of things.
It's because there are grossly biased opinions and analysis towards him. Let aside the fans because they are always base their opinions emotionally, but to have a channel that should broadcast professionally, they are doing otherwise. Even if he's your countryman you should remain professional as it will effect the credibility of your products.

You said yourself that you were ranting so hardly surprising it met with the response it did. I'd also add that the thousands of fans who had paid their hard earned cash to attend the GP seem pretty happy with the way he celebrated.

Not to me. Show boaters are rude.

Showboating would have been spinning the car 180 and crossing the line backwards to take the win. Celebrating with your fans in a way that many of them will never forget is not showboating.

It's because there are grossly biased opinions and analysis towards him. Let aside the fans because they are always base their opinions emotionally, but to have a channel that should broadcast professionally, they are doing otherwise. Even if he's your countryman you should remain professional as it will effect the credibility of your products.

Cool story bro.

It's ironic that people complained about Hamilton for not showing up at a fan engagement event that wasn't mandatory and are now complaining because he celebrated this victory by celebrating with the fans. It was clearly damned if you do, damned if you don't for him in this instance. He was pretty much doomed regardless just because of the fact that he's such a polarizing figure in the sport.

It's ironic that people complained about Hamilton for not showing up at a fan engagement event that wasn't mandatory and are now complaining because he celebrated this victory by celebrating with the fans. It was clearly damned if you do, damned if you don't for him in this instance. He was pretty much doomed regardless just because of the fact that he's such a polarizing figure in the sport.

I think a lot of people view it as him awkwardly trying to make up for not being at the London event, like a "look, I can be a fan favorite"!. Not saying that's actually the case, just probably many thinking that's what's going on.

I find the clean, unsponsored 60s and earlier cars much more prestigious than anything after.

Are you confusing prestigiousness with purity? Those were the days when marshalls would use their own Ford Cortinas to tow cars off tracks, when injured drivers would have to get a lift to the hospital if any available ambulance was already busy and families would eat packed lunches on the outside of Parabolica. Raw, yes. Technically pure, maybe. Prestigious, no.

Not for nothing, but for a few years, Lewis used to walk around, hands behind back, quiet. Whether he got pole or a win, did the same thing. Now, he wins 4 times!, at home, with talk of this event being scratched from the calendar, let the man celebrate.

Are you confusing prestigiousness with purity? Those were the days when marshalls would use their own Ford Cortinas to tow cars off tracks, when injured drivers would have to get a lift to the hospital if any available ambulance was already busy and families would eat packed lunches on the outside of Parabolica. Raw, yes. Technically pure, maybe. Prestigious, no.
Um... Didn't know any of that. Yeah, it doesn't sound very prestigious. I actually meant something different with that. I don't know how to say it, I'm not even sure what I really was trying to say.:dunce:
I'm not this stupid, I swear, but maybe my brain finally melted after today's race:lol:

So, I love how no one even bothered to point out Alonso retiring from the race, as if it was a normal thing. Oh wait, it is!:lol:
Even when he finally scored points, it got buried within all the other Baku storylines. Poor Alonso can't win.

This race feels like a turning point, not just for Hamilton but also for Mercedes overall. At the least, whatever edge Ferrari had at the start of the season isn't really there anymore.

These cars are the pinacle of Motorsport and it doesn't come cheap. All that time and effort all the one off pieces of carbon fibre bodywork it all adds up.
Even the big teams would be bankrupt by Tuesday if they had to pay for it all themselves. So the only way to do it is convince a load of multinationals to give you what is technically known as a $#[+ load of cash.

Wikipedia says the weather was "Sunny, mild, dry, Air Temp: 10°C".

Okay, so it was a little cold. But it wasn't cold and wet and miserable.
Actually read any info you can find about it apart from the weather on race day. It was a total weather disaster and the car parks were quagmires.

It was a total weather disaster and the car parks were quagmires.
Haven't they improved the drainage since then? It was a farce a few years ago - around the time the circuit was reconfigured - and I seem to remember promises to fix it at the time, but I don't know if they were ever made good on.

Haven't they improved the drainage since then? It was a farce a few years ago - around the time the circuit was reconfigured - and I seem to remember promises to fix it at the time, but I don't know if they were ever made good on.
Do you ever contribute to a conversation about something like this without finding a way to abuse Silverstone?

Do you ever contribute to a conversation about something like this without finding a way to abuse Silverstone?
No, I'm genuinely curious. It was a problem because there were large puddles of standing water on the surface of the circuit. It's always been an issue because the circuit is in a large catchment area, so it takes a long time for the water level to drop. But on this occasion, there was unseasonably heavy rain. I remember Autosport running a story about the congestion and chaos because people were missing practice and qualifying. There were promises to fix it, but I don't know if anything was done - the British Grand Prix is the only major event that I see at Silverstone (I don't have the patience for the WEC and we don't get coverage of anything else), there hasn't been a seriously wet race since, and there was no follow-up reporting done. I assume the drainage was improved, but I haven't seen any confirmation of it.

Also, if I were to go to a Grand Prix for three days, it would cost me at least a week's pay (blowing my budget for a month) and I would need to take two days off work. If I then couldn't get into the circuit for Friday practice because poor drainage limited access, you'd better believe that I would be pretty damn upset about it. Especially if proper drainage wasn't figured into the design of a major reconfiguration.

Now that I think on it, I suspect the work was done. When Kimi Räikkönen had his massive accident a few years ago, it was because he hit a drainage culvert when rejoining the circuit at Aintree. He was criticised at the time because he hadn't done a walk-around to inspect the circuit; if he had, he would have known about it becauelse the culvert was new. That suggests the work was done.

Last edited:
Whats your opinion of Dan getting people to drink champagne from his shoe on the podium. Does that denigrate the prestige of the sport?

The ritual adds an unnecessary fungus to the sport. Socks toe think it made Brundle sick.

I know...I know. *gets coat*

I rarely post here because I don't know nearly as much as you guys but I can't help myself with this.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130785

Kvyat thinks that Sainz is equally to blame for their collision. Really?
"I left him room [in the first right of Becketts] and I expected him to collaborate with me [in the next left]."

Which is what Sainz did. But you still crashed into him.

To me, it seems like that whole incident could have been avoided if Kvyat didn't flick to the right for that split second.

I really want Kvyat to do well, especially after his demotion last year, but after today, I'm not expecting him to have a ride next year.

Kvyat thinks that Sainz is equally to blame for their collision. Really?

He's right in part of what he says - he didn't leave the track and therefore couldn't have "rejoined the track" as the penalty suggested. Kvyat did however fail to stop his car from going across to the right of the track and collecting Sainz. To half my mind he could have been eligible for an "avoidable accident" penalty but to the other half it was racing, albeit with a prat. Had it not been for the involvement of a third car I wonder if the stewards might have been tempted to let the team sort it out.

According to Kvyat's precedent he might now be swapped with one of the truck drivers for the next race.

Back