Formula Drift Championship | General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 145 comments
A double post, and maybe off topic with regards to the actual thread, but I did manage to find this 20+ minute look into the RMR team circa 2005:

Lets also remember the other Dodge drift car Sam Hubinette used in this era:

130_0704_23_z%2B2006_d1gp_series_final_drifting_irwindale_speedway%2Bdodge_charger.jpg

(This was D1, I know)

there used to be an RC body of this exact car. I've been searching for it for years.
I know but as @Silver Arrows showed that is the more profound time I remember a Viper, when Sam Hubinette ran them for Dodge, and Rhys ran the GTO. I haven't noticed the viper from recent cause it's not nearly as memorable as the more consistent front runners.

I also remember the 69 Camaro under Falken that was used for a short time. That was interesting.
I remember the 69 Camaro. That was bad azz. Wonder what happened to it? Also, someone NEEDS to try running Formula D in a 3rd gen Camaro now.

Stop Y'all. The Pontiac longing is too much! Now I wish they made RC bodies of the Millen GTO. I'd have about 10 of those things now lol.

Oh, **** just got real. I always felt DeNofa was held back by the reliability problems his cars had... well, he's got the best shot he'll ever have to show what he's all about this year.

I really don't like Gushi's livery this year.

Dai Yoshihara's new livery, on the other hand, doesn't look too bad.
17436289_10154950097888280_3565635719658543040_o.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't like Gushi's livery this year.

Dai Yoshihara's new livery, on the other hand, doesn't look too bad.
17436289_10154950097888280_3565635719658543040_o.jpg
Opposite on my end here, I loved Dai's livery last year, but this year looks uninspired.

In this case it's probably more about Toyota trying to make the Corolla cool and hip again for the kids and forcing Papadakis Racing to use that platform, since that's pretty much what they did with the tC.

In this case it's probably more about Toyota trying to make the Corolla cool and hip again for the kids and forcing Papadakis Racing to use that platform, since that's pretty much what they did with the tC.
I figured with the tC out they would have just switched him over to the GT86. Must be too many of them already or something. Should be interesting...

Aasbo is running an iM this year.

I...uh, yeah.

I hate this thing. If you're gonna allow this thing then where are the drivetrain swapped, V8 powered Pontiac Sunfires, Chevy Cavaliers, W body Olds Cutlasses and Dodge Stratuses. GT86, RWD Lexus product or GTFO,

--end rant

I hate this thing. If you're gonna allow this thing then where are the drivetrain swapped, V8 powered Pontiac Sunfires, Chevy Cavaliers, W body Olds Cutlasses and Dodge Stratuses. GT86, RWD Lexus product or GTFO,

--end rant

It's a loophole in the FD regs that allow cars that offered 4wd in some regions to be converted to rwd, and since the Auris as it's called in Japan is available as a 4wd car, it's legal. That's also why we had guys like Stephane Verdier running WRXs in the past with hit or miss success. Same deal with the tC, but yeah, it's not really fair IMO and that rule should be abolished, especially since stuff like that is allowed yet trucks are still banned. A 2JZ swapped Tacoma would be absolutely epic.

It's a loophole in the FD regs that allow cars that offered 4wd in some regions to be converted to rwd, and since the Auris as it's called in Japan is available as a 4wd car, it's legal. That's also why we had guys like Stephane Verdier running WRXs in the past with hit or miss success. Same deal with the tC, but yeah, it's not really fair IMO and that rule should be abolished, especially since stuff like that is allowed yet trucks are still banned. A 2JZ swapped Tacoma would be absolutely epic.
That rule needs to go, bad. Though, if GM brought back the El Camino as a Pontiac like they planned, there would probably be a truck based class centered around it.

At any rate, get rid of the drivetrain loophole or else start allowing in RWD converted cars and pre '90s classics

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, the tC was never offered with AWD. And the 2017 rule book doesn't say anything about AWD either. It just says:

1.1 VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY
A. Eligible models must be considered a “production vehicle” and have had a minimum build run of 600 units in each model year.
B. Eligible body styles include: coupe, sedan, convertible or wagon and have no more than 5 doors.
C. Vehicles must maintain the original OEM steel unibody and/or steel frame structure between the OEM front and rear suspension mounting points.
D. No trucks or SUVs will be allowed.
E. Vehicles that do not meet the above eligibility criteria must petition for approval from FORMULA DRIFT.

I know it was in the 2010 rulebook when the first tCs made their apparition, ie Ken Gushi's car, that in order to be elligible the car had to have a rear differential of some sort from the factory somewhere around the world, but looking at it it seems they've changed it indeed.

It looked much better in the render. :indiff:

In other news, Danny George is coming back to FD this year with an E36 most likely powered by an LSsomething, but since he'll never get over Top 32 it's not really important.

As far as I am aware, the tC was never offered with AWD. And the 2017 rule book doesn't say anything about AWD either. It just says:

I know it was in the 2010 rulebook when the first tCs made their apparition, ie Ken Gushi's car, that in order to be elligible the car had to have a rear differential of some sort from the factory somewhere around the world, but looking at it it seems they've changed it indeed.
So is the nonsense rule dead or...what? and if it's dead, why is there a twin turbo Corolla about to take the track( ain't gonna lie, I'd like one in the show room lol)

So is the nonsense rule dead or...what? and if it's dead, why is there a twin turbo Corolla about to take the track( ain't gonna lie, I'd like one in the show room lol)
Because it's a production based car with less than 5 doors. All else is pretty much open. And I'm not so sure it's twin turbo unless you read something I didn't.

There's a chance there won't be an actual top 32 at LB this weekend because I'm not sure there's actually 32 entries...

Not competing this year for various reasons:

Forrest Wang
Andy Grey
Tyler McQuarrie
Kenny Moen
Mad Mike Whiddett
Pat Mordaunt

And maybe more but we'll have to wait for the official entry list.

Engine troubles for Forsberg during media day, his crew is switching over to their spare engine as we speak... I hope they didn't sell that VK56 just yet.

Not competing this year for various reasons:

Forrest Wang
Andy Grey
Tyler McQuarrie
Kenny Moen
Mad Mike Whiddett
Pat Mordaunt
Forrest quit, not sure why though I'm sure the politics got to him again. Andy is concentrating on the events in Japan (he lives there). Kenny hasn't been competitive anyway. Mad Mike needs to stop screwing around with the short wheelbase MX-5 which is doing nothing but hurting him and bring his FD over. Sucks to see him out though. No idea about Pat.

But, we're getting a few new drivers to take their places (with good equipment too) so it should be OK.

Engine troubles for Forsberg during media day, his crew is switching over to their spare engine as we speak... I hope they didn't sell that VK56 just yet.
According to his post on instagram, they built 3 engines and they are always prepared to swap out for an extra. Should be fine. Teething issues expected with a new setup that was completed a week before Long Beach. I never understand why they wait that long though...

Back