2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
More insight from MP. http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...-vastly-different-racers-for-the-same-series/

gallery-1480519122-porsche-919-to-caddy-rear-comparo.jpeg

gallery-1480518088-caddy-vs-mazda-dpi-side-rear-comparo-rt-pruett.jpg

gallery-1480519176-caddy-vs-porsche-919-side-comparo.jpeg

landscape-1480517957-caddy-vs-mazda-dpi-side-comparo-rt-pruett.jpg

Dallara P2
lemans-racing-team-nederland-voorstelling-le-mans-2016-dallara-lmp2-van-racing-team-nederl.jpg

Last edited:
Was expecting a more defined 'Cadillac' look at the front end, but other than that it's not too bad. Can't wait to see it on track in January.

I doubt it. No Cadillac bodywork, no GM engine, no Silver drivers, and no ROI. Winning the 2nd prototype class in a rented Dallara with a Gibson engine does not sound like a great achievement for GM's flagship brand.
I had actually meant that to go under the Continental question but forgot to quote it.

I know Cadillac will not go to Le Mans, but with teams going from IMSA to France, I figured using tires theyre familiar with (and have been developed with their chassis in mind) would work the best.

The Cadillac doesn't seem to have as much road-car resemblance in the styling as the Mazda, however since it's a Cadillac that's a good thing.

I had actually meant that to go under the Continental question but forgot to quote it.

I know Cadillac will not go to Le Mans, but with teams going from IMSA to France, I figured using tires theyre familiar with (and have been developed with their chassis in mind) would work the best.
Well as the article said they are now free to develop a tire specific to the P2 chassis w/o having to compromise to fit the DP. For teams that might go to Le Mans they will likely be leasing a chassis from one of the constructors anyway so they will have access to data fro Dunlop or Michelin.

How many manufactures are running in DPi?
Cadillac, Mazda, and the ESM backed Nissan so far with more coming later.

BTW right now on the Weather channel a tornado is heading straight for Road Atlanta.

and this.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b6e79722557dbe87e7da99cbf&id=18c678acba&e=a1f496517a

Last edited:
I'm a little frustrated knowing that I watched the stream on Facebook with curiousity only to see that that car was the end result.

I shall (hopefully!) be going to the 24 this year... looking forward to it as always!

The thing I really don't get about the LMPs and the DPs is this:

If BOP'ing the two different cars wasn't working out, then why not just put them in separate classes?! Why try to make this DPi thing (it looks great, don't get me wrong), but why basically make them all LMP cars and also get rid of the classes?

If they don't sound the same, I'm going to miss that growl of the DPs that kept me up all night...

This is what I would have done:

BOP the new DPis and the current LMPs, then keep the DPs in a separate class. GTLM and GTD (hopefully another Corvette/Porsche fight happens... and Porsche wins this time around!) should be kept the same.

Also will the Deltawing be there, and will the PCs cause about 9 trillion Safety Cars?

I've never seen a race car with a picture of itself on the side...
It's like Steve-O with a tattoo of his face on his back.

That's the worst Art car ever. A 7 year old could have done that on Forza in all of 10 minutes.

In a rare day when we get two good reveals, we get one more just to balance things out a little bit. IMSA's gone a little too far with the whole BOP thing...

If BOP'ing the two different cars wasn't working out, then why not just put them in separate classes?! Why try to make this DPi thing (it looks great, don't get me wrong), but why basically make them all LMP cars and also get rid of the classes?
They want to bring more of a sense of manufacturer pride by making the prototypes resemble the manufacturer's road going cars.

If they don't sound the same, I'm going to miss that growl of the DPs that kept me up all night...
The Caddy has a 6.2L V8, so it should roar. Road & Track's write up talked about how it sounded a bit different from the Corvette DP's 5.5L, but it still had that grumble.

Also will the Deltawing be there, and will the PCs cause about 9 trillion Safety Cars?
The DeltaWing will not be there, and who knows about the PC's. There'll be less of them, so hopefully they'll cause less issues this season.

The Caddy has a 6.2L V8, so it should roar. Road & Track's write up talked about how it sounded a bit different from the Corvette DP's 5.5L, but it still had that grumble.

Well, we shall see when it comes to the race...

Back