2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
It makes people mad. It's awesome.

I think people are confused more than mad. BMW's art car program has turned out some insanely good liveries over the years so to see a plain white car with some clipart and "FAST" written on it is a tad underwhelming, especially after last years great schemes.

Lord almighty, that Lexus sounds a lot better than I originally thought it would.

Can't wait to see the DPIs out on track. Tis going to be a great year, if I do say so myself.

That Lexus though! :drool: Went back and watched the clip, man that V8 is awesome. Just completely epic.

I think people are confused more than mad. BMW's art car program has turned out some insanely good liveries over the years so to see a plain white car with some clipart and "FAST" written on it is a tad underwhelming, especially after last years great schemes.
It's complete trash compared to their actual art cars. They have such a great history of amazing designs...and then they let an intern play with GIMP for 5 minutes to make this one. Worse than the 2015 Aston Martin art car #97 that ran at Le Mans. :crazy:

I was curious and googled his name for images of his art. It's mostly pictures of other things with colored circles over people's faces. Yea, that kind of art.

I was curious and googled his name for images of his art. It's mostly pictures of other things with colored circles over people's faces. Yea, that kind of art.
bd717095e0e1bab5048660e38290caba241182690eeaf36fdb68d15aed317454_kindlephoto-25336508.jpg

The only thing missing is that the car on the door doesn't have the same car on its door... which would then have a car on its door... which would then have a car on its door... and on and on to infinity until the universe collapsed in on itself. :)

I get that the image can have a meaning that the artist is trying to portray, but to say any work went into making it is just false.

I seriously thought you were joking and sadly, you aren't:

View attachment 611373

Literally, all his art in a nutshell.
His art looks like stuff I made on Paint when I was a 5 year old.

On another note, are you planning on making the driver profile pictures for IMSA teams? I might look into one downline if I decide to change my picture if you do.

His art looks like stuff I made on Paint when I was a 5 year old.

On another note, are you planning on making the driver profile pictures for IMSA teams? I might look into one downline if I decide to change my picture if you do.

I can if anyone wants. Actually as I post this, I got Photoshop open so I can do it now if necessary.

It's supposed to be bad and tacky, that's the joke. Have FAST on the side of the car because it's literally fast, and a picture of the car on the other side. I think it's one of the best liveries ever. :lol:

It's supposed to be bad and tacky, that's the joke. Have FAST on the side of the car because it's literally fast, and a picture of the car on the other side. I think it's one of the best liveries ever. :lol:

Wait, so the whole thing is purposely lackluster?

If BOP'ing the two different cars wasn't working out, then why not just put them in separate classes?! Why try to make this DPi thing (it looks great, don't get me wrong), but why basically make them all LMP cars and also get rid of the classes?
They did, the tube framed DP has been relegated to the historic class and ebay. The last gen P2 car is still eligible to run this year but will have to run last years BOP which put them 40-50 hp down and 3yrs behind on aero. 2017 DPi and P2 are all based on the same 4 chassis made by Oreca, Onroak, Dallara, and Riley/Multimatic. The global spec P2 car will be powered by 4.2L V8 built by Gibson. That car will be the new P2 car for the WEC and ELMS and is allowed in IMSA. The IMSA DPi is a 2017 P2 car that has been modified by a OEM with one of their engine choices, has modifications to the standard issue bodywork, and different engine electronics. The visual differences between the P2 Dallara and DPi Dallara/Cadillac were posted yesterday.

BOP the new DPis and the current LMPs, then keep the DPs in a separate class.
That's the plan, using the global P2 as the baseline for all DPi's. The DPi engines are heading to Charlotte next week I believe for dyno testing at the R&D center to see where everybody is at. The aero kits have already been into the wind tunnel for comparison. In theory :lol: the 2 versions of a prototype are supposed to be on equal footing but we wont know if they are until the cars hit the track for testing on Dec. 13-14 at Daytona. The worry for some is that IMSA will be constantly changing the BOP of the DPi's and real racing will be happening back behind the hauler kind of like a catcher working the ump for pitches on the outside corner. If the downforce and drag numbers are close to the same and the engine HP numbers are all within 15hp then lets hope they just leave it alone and let the best team/car win.

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

....what is this at all :confused:
Hmm, I'm torn. On one hand, I'm happy there is a new art car and that it will be racing at Daytona. On the other hand, I kinda take the idea of art on wheels seriously, so I guess you could say that I'm disappointed that it's just a few mismatched decals. However the red/green dots are kinda funny when the car is viewed head on. Frankly though, I wanted it to be flashier and more aware that it's a piece of art and not merely a special livery like in NASCAR

eh I wish the Art car went with a theme that was only visable at night and at all other times looked like a plain white car for the surprise effect.
If I did an art car. (for some reason, I wish GM would open up Corvette Racing as a canvas) it would be this. Or a huge, bombastic, classical Andy Warhol tribute as I am a huge fan of his and consider his art car to be pretty much my favorite.

EDIT: No one has used glow in the dark technology or special ink & paint. I got an idea now

It seems like a lost opportunity. Glow paint looks like an off-white cream in daylight so the livery should have other colors and whatnot but glow paint streaks where you'd put white. At night it would look awesome.

It seems like a lost opportunity. Glow paint looks like an off-white cream in daylight so the livery should have other colors and whatnot but glow paint streaks where you'd put white. At night it would look awesome.

Didn't somebody do a car a couple of years ago with some kind of paint that only showed under the lights...or at dark...or something? Or was that just a bad dream, or a flashback from the 60's.

No idea, but my brother and I are already talking about going to The Glen this year and camping with his pick-up so we can get woken up by race cars.

Back