2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
Show me were that is written down. I have seen nothing saying that in the Sporting regs.

Show me the price list for a Caddilarra DPi program.

Lets be real here, this series is not supported by the entry fees of JDC and PR1, OEM's are paying the tab and expect the ROI from that expense. On top of that there is way more involved in these programs than air restrictors and boost levels. Engineering programs, sim work, shaker tests, shock programs, etc all cost money.

Sebring test entry list. http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/news/2017/02/34_entries_set_for_sebring_test_next_week/2017_sebring_test_pre-event_entry_list.pdf

Marino Franchitti in a Mazda.
Got mixed up on that one. They aren't required to.

Dallaralac can be bought, as I was told that specifically from a friend that is involved in the programme...and they wont be $1.5m each like the GT3 cars.

They will keep the cars balanced between ACO and DPi, at least car to car will be balanced, as they want to appeal to the world for other cars. Plus with SoD running a world car, they wouldn't dare not balance them. ;)

The test session at Sebring next week has 34 entries. 10 DPi entries, 1 PC, 8 GTLM, and 15 GTD. Notable entrants include the 10 including new WTR endurance driver Alex Lynn, both Nissan DPis, the 66 Ford GT, the 4 Corvette, and the Alegra Motorsports Porsche GT3. The lone PC is from BAR1.

The test session at Sebring next week has 34 entries. 10 DPi entries, 1 PC, 8 GTLM, and 15 GTD. Notable entrants include the 10 including new WTR endurance driver Alex Lynn, both Nissan DPis, the 66 Ford GT, the 4 Corvette, and the Alegra Motorsports Porsche GT3. The lone PC is from BAR1.
1 Prototype Challenge entry? Really?

And the award for most hilarious glitch goes to this guy right here

This glitch as been going on for a while in the game, it's pretty hilarious

I'm not so sure Honda's shortcomings are HPD's fault.

No they're not and I even say I feel the culprit to Honda never winning is Honda themselves back in Honda HQ Japan. I can't blame HPD for the lack of ability to win when all those they face have more money coming in. I know people will say that money doesn't win and point to F1. But f1 is a money pit, so just cause Ferrari or Mercedes spend 10 million less in a season doesn't mean they'll lose. Just means they were more efficient and designed better. I don't think the same can be said for other series, where the margins are that much closer.

So HPD shouldn't be blamed, just like many other times in racing when a somewhat factory effort lost to full factory efforts. If Honda are going to win they need to be serious. It's why I feel Nissan wont win because it's not a full on effort.

A recent history of Honda:

F1, 2015-present: getting worked over. We all know the various reasons, but in short, they aren't winning.

WTCC, 2015-present: Honda and everyone else got their asses handed to them by Citroen. Some cheekiness from Citroen, but again, Honda wasn't winning (all the time, or championships)

Indycar: can't remember how long it's been, but Honda has been getting worked in Indycar (of course, that's HPD)

SuperGT: without going into detail, the NSX concept in GT500 has basically been a complete dud. Obviously Honda tried something different, going MR in the Dallara chassis with a hybrid system at first...but the end result was Honda at the back of the grid for more than a couple years.

For all the major racing Honda is involved in, they have been on a miserable streak lately. About the only things they're winning of late is TCR/BTCC races (and those cars are built in Italy/England respectively), or 2 wheeled stuff in MotoGP or AMA series (and even last year, Honda's 450F was really nowhere compared to KTM, Husky, Kawi...about even with Suzuki and Yamaha for back of the grid).

It's almost like they've been cursed :lol:

I mean Honda only ever seems assured wins in Motogp, WSBK they've fallen behind a factory group that long left MotoGP so that's sad, they lose in Dirtbikes to that same team and KTM as you pointed out.

As for F1, I blame the token system, and Honda for learning the obvious that track time is far more important than extra in house testing/simulating.

WTCC everyone is beat, it might as well be F1 of the touring car world with how good those Citroen are. I mean they were winning something before and I agree, Citroen seemed to have played the rules to their advantage but still I feel Honda and others just didn't think it hard enough.

SuperGT I don't know much about cause I don't follow it but I have heard that Honda failed themselves here, so I have to agree with you.

I agree with you on most of this other F1, where the token system failed everyone. And where an engine rule change so massive as the one we saw in 2014, shouldn't have brought an automatic freeze. That was asking for thinks to go in favor of who ever spent the most time and money building up to that point.

I feel at this point all Japanese teams are cursed when you look at global efforts. I mean you switch out Honda with Toyota, Nissan or even Mazda and you just have to shake your head in disbelief at all the the shortcomings.

This glitch as been going on for a while in the game, it's pretty hilarious

No they're not and I even say I feel the culprit to Honda never winning is Honda themselves back in Honda HQ Japan. I can't blame HPD for the lack of ability to win when all those they face have more money coming in. I know people will say that money doesn't win and point to F1. But f1 is a money pit, so just cause Ferrari or Mercedes spend 10 million less in a season doesn't mean they'll lose. Just means they were more efficient and designed better. I don't think the same can be said for other series, where the margins are that much closer.

So HPD shouldn't be blamed, just like many other times in racing when a somewhat factory effort lost to full factory efforts. If Honda are going to win they need to be serious. It's why I feel Nissan wont win because it's not a full on effort.

I mean Honda only ever seems assured wins in Motogp, WSBK they've fallen behind a factory group that long left MotoGP so that's sad, they lose in Dirtbikes to that same team and KTM as you pointed out.

As for F1, I blame the token system, and Honda for learning the obvious that track time is far more important than extra in house testing/simulating.

WTCC everyone is beat, it might as well be F1 of the touring car world with how good those Citroen are. I mean they were winning something before and I agree, Citroen seemed to have played the rules to their advantage but still I feel Honda and others just didn't think it hard enough.

SuperGT I don't know much about cause I don't follow it but I have heard that Honda failed themselves here, so I have to agree with you.

I agree with you on most of this other F1, where the token system failed everyone. And where an engine rule change so massive as the one we saw in 2014, shouldn't have brought an automatic freeze. That was asking for thinks to go in favor of who ever spent the most time and money building up to that point.

I feel at this point all Japanese teams are cursed when you look at global efforts. I mean you switch out Honda with Toyota, Nissan or even Mazda and you just have to shake your head in disbelief at all the the shortcomings.
I agree that in F1 the system screwed Honda as much as they did themselves. In the big picture tbough, it's just another piece that follows a trend.

In regards to the other Japanese manufacturers, the one I would exclude from that group is Nissan. Yes, they've had their episode at Le Mans, and haven't been above average in V8s, but they're doing well in other areas. The GT3 program has been pretty successful, and during Daytona, the RLM guys were talking about how NISMO currently has 4 bespoke engines in LMP competition across different categories. In LMP2 racing of late, Nissan engines have been doing really well.

I agree that in F1 the system screwed Honda as much as they did themselves. In the big picture tbough, it's just another piece that follows a trend.

In regards to the other Japanese manufacturers, the one I would exclude from that group is Nissan. Yes, they've had their episode at Le Mans, and haven't been above average in V8s, but they're doing well in other areas. The GT3 program has been pretty successful, and during Daytona, the RLM guys were talking about how NISMO currently has 4 bespoke engines in LMP competition across different categories. In LMP2 racing of late, Nissan engines have been doing really well.

If my memory serves me right, there were around 15 LMP2 cars or more at Le Mans last year were powered by the Nissan engine,

Nissans GT3 car mainly won the title because it couldn't be overtaken at any power circuit, BoP favored it big time, since then BoP has dialled it back a bit and the car has been semi unsuccessful in Blancpain, had some successes I PWC and usually performs strong at the Bathurst 12h, again a power circuit,

Honda on the other hand, seem to abandon their ducks when they have them in a line, the HPD LMP2 program wasn't as successful as it should've been, their F1 campaign through the mid 2000s started out well with Jordan then BAR, but the BAR buyout was just a downward spiral from 2006-2008, they dropped development almost instantly on the 2008 car and started on the 2009 chassis, then departed the sport to which led to Brawn GP, a story to its own,

Toyota's F1 campaign was more or less the same, they did join kinda at the right time but was as well the wrong time, changes to qualifying, tire and fuel management would've sent costs out of control for a group scratching the surface of proper understanding, then when rule changes meant an equal playing field they started getting results, then left because of results over costs,

I dont know what it is with the Japanese outfits, but they expect to be on pace or setting the pace almost instantly, its not really the correct philosophy,

So they need a stronger shoulder for the bus-stop to banking transition there where the back right is under so much load. In addition, some teams need to follow others examples and learn how to better run on wet tires in the difficult conditions of the 24 (light rain/mist for what, 10 hours?).

It was nice of IMSA to go with my recommendation that the Caddy should get a 1.5mm reduction.:cheers: It's interesting that they also lost 7L of fuel and now have a smaller fuel restrictor too. It is interesting that the Riley now has a 2mm bigger fuel restrictor than the the rest of the P2's.

So... who's looking forward to Sebring?
*raises hand and nearly jumps clear of chair*

The only thing that I hate about the WSCC season starting with Daytona is that its such a tease, because of the 2 month wait. :P Especially since (despite the Ford ****ers winning) it was such an awesome beginning to the season yet again.

I'm waiting for the first real track, Watkins Glen. After this is a street track or two and I hate those.

Edit: they moved COTA up so I'm waiting for that

I've been complaining about there being no race in February.

Come on, we can't sneak a race in between Daytona and Sebring?
Bring back the Miami street race. It's just too difficult to turn cars around in such a short time now.

THINGS I FIND HILARIOUS : People who thought the Corvette DP was an abomination to the Corvette name, but were totally cool with the Corvette GTP and its turbo V6.

THINGS I FIND HILARIOUS : People who thought the Corvette DP was an abomination to the Corvette name, but were totally cool with the Corvette GTP and its turbo V6.

"ERMEGERD DA CORVETTE DP LOOK SO UGLY MAAAAN IT NOT CORVETTE" - People's reactions to the Corvette DP

"ERMEGERD DA CORVETTE DP LOOK SO UGLY MAAAAN IT NOT CORVETTE" - People's reactions to the Corvette DP

And lets not forgot the so snobby argument that it is "Not a real Prototype" (even though technically, the cars that race in the WEC or IMSA are as a real a "Prototype" as a NASCAR Stock Car is a "Stock Car").

The teams might get lucky and get a chance to test the new and improved Conti wets on Thur. Either was the track will be green with heavy rain forecast for Sebring on Wed with a chance the rain carries over into Thur. morning.

I'm interested in how far below the 1:50 mark the new P cars get. Current IMSA pole record was a 1:51.1 and the best previous P2 time I have found is a 1:47.6 from the HPD in 2009.

Cars will be on track Thur. at 9AM.

Back