2017 Suzuki Swift!/2018 Swift Sport

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 124 comments
Here we have it, the Suzuki Swift Sport:
ss_06.jpg

ss_03.jpg

ss_07.jpg

As expected, it is powered by a Turbocharged 1.4 litre engine which is good for 138hp.

Now one thing that really caught me by surprise is the 0-62 time; The Sport can hit the benchmark in just 6.2 seconds, which is even quicker than the Yaris GRMN with 209hp! :eek: I guess that is one advantage of a potent turbocharged unit in a sub-tonne package.

Well my guess of 950kg wasn't far off - 970kg isn't bad at all for a 140bhp warm hatch. It looks better than I thought it would as well.

Trouble is I'm still misty-eyed over the old naturally aspirated rev-happy little wizzbox.

Still, this is way more interesting to me than all the other new hot hatchbacks coming out.

Still, this is way more interesting to me than all the other new hot hatchbacks coming out.
Yessssssssss.

Dang it! There just isn't enough garage space.

Here we have it, the Suzuki Swift Sport:
ss_06.jpg

ss_03.jpg

ss_07.jpg

As expected, it is powered by a Turbocharged 1.4 litre engine which is good for 138hp.

Now one thing that really caught me by surprise is the 0-62 time; The Sport can hit the benchmark in just 6.2 seconds, which is even quicker than the Yaris GRMN with 209hp! :eek: I guess that is one advantage of a potent turbocharged unit in a sub-tonne package.
Quicker than an MX-5 ND as well... and half the price. :sly:

Anyway, spectacular! I wonder if the exhaust snaps, crackles and pops. I'd almost argue this Swift, to be the "pinnacle of the ICE sports car"(you can tell I'm hyped). I want to just about drive it in a video game, so I can drive it any/all the time. I love it that much! :)

Aside from the Honda concept, this was probably my favourite car of the show. The weight figure really sold it to me. Intrigued to see how much it costs when it arrives. £15k would make it very good value indeed, but I'm not sure it'll dip under that figure since a Boosterjet SZ5 already pretty much costs £15k.

Few crummy pics I took:

image-uploaded-from-ios-17.jpg
image-uploaded-from-ios-18.jpg
image-uploaded-from-ios-22.jpg

Eh, mine might take 8.7 to 60, but at least I'll be making peak power at 6,900...

Seriously though, that's an awesome benchmark time.

Please, Suzuki. Please make/import cars, back in the U.S., again...

I REALLY want the Swift Sport to come back, to go against the Hot Hatch market, with a vengeance. And, looking at its weight and 0-60 time, this could be the "Lotus of Hot Hatches."

(Oh, and also, bring back the Jimny/Samurai and Vitara.)

I don't normally like red, but that looks friggin' dope.

Now if only that 1.4 was naturally aspirated and made the same power at something ridiculous like 8,000rpm. But alas, emissions exist.

I'm actually not that bothered about it not being naturally aspirated. It's a shame there are no more NA hot hatches, but Suzuki's turbocharged engines at the moment are really damn good, and I reckon it'll suit the car's character.

Think I'd go for the yellow, personally. It's going to be the car's signature colour and it looked great in the metal.

Very borderline in terms of a hot hatch, but what about the Honda Jazz Dynamic? VTEC could be enough to make 128hp from 1.5 litres sound exciting.
I must have walked past that half a dozen times at Frankfurt and didn't realise it existed...

Could be a candidate though. The current Jazz isn't actually too bad to drive and has a nice gearshift, but feels quite underpowered. Will have to investigate it when they get one on the press fleet.

The Sport might be one of the few brand new cars I'm interested in. I'll take a black one, please.

The current Swift Sport is a real hidden gem. Lots of fun. While the engine is nice though this is one occasion where I'm not too unhappy about it going turbocharged, because that Boosterjet engine is probably one of the best downsized turbo units I've tried. Had a go in the new Baleno with it earlier in the year - really smooth, and surprisingly powerful.

Suzuki might not make anything that really wows, but they have a really solid lineup of cars at the moment. I expect the Swift will continue to be a car that you could legitimately pick over a Fiesta whenever you remember it exists...

I bought mine last year BECAUSE of the NA engine. Turbos aren't for the mileage I do a day.

You could say 136 hp are a joke compared to the power even a Fiesta features today. But hey, who cares when moving only a ton of car. And what you get for the price..its a bargain.

But I must say: I don't like the look of the new model at all. Its too bulky for my taste. And to be honest: without the option of a high power NA engine left I would always pick the Fiesta. The new one looks awesome.

Oh and what I like most : the simplicity. The current SSS is no driving computer. Its still a CAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
With only yellow, red or white as the bright colours, I'd get the yellow.

I still think the base model at 855kg, has still got to be fun with some coilovers and aggressive rubber.

But I must say: I don't like the look of the new model at all. Its too bulky for my taste. And to be honest: without the option of a high power NA engine left I would always pick the Fiesta. The new one looks awesome.
Having seen both Swift and Fiesta in the metal, there's no way I'd pick the Ford over the Suzuki. Pictures don't quite do the Swift justice I think - in real life it looks a lot lower and wider.

Not driven the current Fiesta - I imagine it'll be fine, as the old one was - but not a fan of the styling. At the front it's little different from the old car (which I've never really liked the look of), and at the back it looks like a B-Max.

As for simplicity, it's certainly something I can appreciate (even the old Swift Sport is pretty much an S-class compared to my 106 Rallye - you get aircon, electric windows, central locking, a hydraulic clutch, alloy wheels, ABS, stability control, power steering... all sorts of fancy new-fangled kit!) but the new car doesn't strike me as being particularly complicated.

It's still got a manual gearbox for instance, and aside from a new look inside the only real technical advancement is the touchscreen (which worked fairly well in the mild-hybrid Swift I drove).

And for me I just can't ignore that the new car is 80kg lighter than before. That's absolutely massive, and makes it a good 150-200kg lighter than cars like the Fiesta ST and 208 GTI. You can probably add power to the Swift quite easily thanks to it being turbocharged, but it'd be rather more difficult to try and cut 200kg from a Fiesta or 208...

Personally I can't stand Fiestas. As a valeter, I've found that just about all Fords have odd, low quality carpets that hold in dust like nobody's business. My interest in a car I can't keep clean is zero. Yes it's absurdly OCD but I like a clean car. Also, I've never been struck on the way Fiestas look, and the size of the swift suits me much more (not that I'd ever buy one because I'd go straight for an '05 model).

Frankly, 130BHP is more than enough. I've driven the current Swift Sport and it's utterly brilliant fun on British roads. I never wanted for more power.

The weight figure really sold it to me.

Pretty much the above, resonate with this so much.

It's pleasantly surprising to see how light the Sport is, certainly so relative to the other hot-hatches in the segment which have become comparatively weighty. To me at least, the Sport is what I'd a call a "standard weight" for a small hot-hatch, as I've always been used to small hot hatches being all about low weight and not that much power. Think Saxo VTS/106 GTi, Lupo GTi etc, etc. That's why I love the Swift Sport, as it stayed very close to that formula. To be honest what gets me about the lightness, is that it doesn't seem that small in size, least it doesn't compared to say a Fiesta or a Polo, especially with the lower models being sub 900Kg, which is a rarity in the current super-mini market. But I haven't see one in person so can't really comment :lol:.

Though I will admit, much like @lbpomg95 I do prefer the revvy nature of the old N/A Sport. However the new Sport being Turbo'ed joining the "revolution" if you will doesn't ruin it for me, granted if it was N/A it'd be better IMO, but it still a far more interesting package as a whole than the other hot-hatches on the market personally.

Pretty much the above, resonate with this so much.

It's pleasantly surprising to see how light the Sport is, certainly so relative to the other hot-hatches in the segment which have become comparatively weighty. To me at least, the Sport is what I'd a call a "standard weight" for a small hot-hatch, as I've always been used to small hot hatches being all about low weight and not that much power. Think Saxo VTS/106 GTi, Lupo GTi etc, etc. That's why I love the Swift Sport, as it stayed very close to that formula. To be honest what gets me about the lightness, is that it doesn't seem that small in size, least it doesn't compared to say a Fiesta or a Polo, especially with the lower models being sub 900Kg, which is a rarity in the current super-mini market. But I haven't see one in person so can't really comment :lol:.

Though I will admit, much like @lbpomg95 I do prefer the revvy nature of the old N/A Sport. However the new Sport being Turbo'ed joining the "revolution" if you will doesn't ruin it for me, granted if it was N/A it'd be better IMO, but it still a far more interesting package as a whole than the other hot-hatches on the market personally.
To be honest I think those hot hatchbacks of old were a much better fit (for this country at least). I mean, the general point is to get the fun of a sports car into a practical package with low running costs. Driver involvement seems to be something that was common among things like the old Nova GTE, 106 Rallye, Fiesta XR2 and others. I think 'warm hatchback' is probably more fitting, but the Swift Sport seems like the closest thing in spirit to those older more involving cars.

Something tells me a new Civic Type R or Focus RS (okay so they're more like hyper-hatchbacks but bear with me) isn't cheap from any perspective, be it insurance, fuel, starting price (30 grand for a hatchback?!) or servicing costs. And according to the reviews, a lot of the more powerful ones (RS3, A45 etc) feel kind of isolated, comfy, vague etc.

While there's no doubt that cars like the Golf GTi or Golf R etc are incredibly talented vehicles with a near clinically perfect balance of performance, ease of use and comfort, there's something a bit boring (to me at least) about that no-compromise best-at-everything approach. I don't want a hot hatchback to be an accomplished daily driver. I want it to be exciting every time I drive it. The Swift Sport is one of those cars, like the bad influence persuading you to be mischievous.

If money was no object I think I would take a Swift Sport over any other new hot hatchback even if I could go for an A45 AMG or an RS3 (though 5 cylinder noise is hard to resist...).

I've driven... probably most of the hot hatchbacks launched in the last five years or so.

In general, you're pretty much spot on, at least with my own views on them, and you hit the nail on the head with the "exciting every time" comment. Hot hatches don't generally interest me that much - the quality that allows them to be great all-rounders (being based on regular family cars) can also make them a bit dull when you're not driving like a loony.

I bought my Peugeot for good reason. Aside from the fact I've always liked them, I've also been increasingly craving a more basic driving experience the more and more I drive modern vehicles. It's about as close as I could get to the interactivity of driving a proper classic while keeping some more modern attributes like ease of use, decent brakes, good body control etc.

You're also right on the Golf R. I've spent a lot of time in those, and they're astonishingly capable (and hugely quick) but I just can't get excited by them unless I'm driving at the sort of speeds I really don't feel comfortable driving at on public roads. Same goes for the RS3, five-cylinder or not.

However...

Not all the modern stuff is like the Golf R. Some of the smaller stuff can be brilliant fun, if you can stomach the gradual decrease in ride quality we seem to be getting (see: outgoing Fiesta ST, 208 GTI Pug Sport). Get them on a good road - ideally one twisty enough that you can exploit their chassis without necessarily using enough performance to break speed limits - and they can still be wonderfully interactive, turbo'd engines, power steering, aircon, satnavs and all. (Cheeky snap from a recent shoot to demonstrate...)

208crop.jpg

Also, I'd say that while I like a car to be exciting and interesting to drive even when I'm not driving quickly, by its very definition a hot hatch does have to be "an accomplished daily driver". It's still, after all, a hatchback. The old Swift Sport is great, but it's still as great at being a regular shopping car as a non-Sport Swift. If it didn't do that, then you might as well buy an MX-5 and have even more fun...

Basically, what I'm saying is that modern hot hatches still have a lot to give, even if some of them are getting into the realms of the ridiculousness as far as outright performance is concerned. That, and it still looks like some companies "get it". The upcoming Swift seems to be on the money, VW's doing an Up GTI soon, and existing stuff like the Twingo GT and Brabus Smart are pretty good fun too (even if the Twingo isn't as good as it should be, and the Smart's too expensive). And in real terms, i.e. considering inflation, they're generally priced similarly to how the older stuff was back in the day. I'm quite hopeful that more companies will follow the lead of brands like Suzuki.

In fairness, the Fabia, Polo and A1, are more in line as Swift competition. :)

I've driven a Swift Sport, Fabia RS(DSG) & Polo GTI(DSG). The VW twins are quick, but next to the (older)Swift, they felt twice as heavy. Plus, I prefer a manual. I can only imagine how this new Swift will feel, as it's not confirmed for Australia, yet. Might have to have another peek at the Suzuki dealer.

Frankly, 130BHP is more than enough. I've driven the current Swift Sport and it's utterly brilliant fun on British roads. I never wanted for more power.[/QUOTE]

And this is why it IS a sportscar. For me its not defined by going over 250 km/h on a straight but by going around corners like hell while maintaining momentum. And yessir, the SSS can.

The outgoing one is definitely a fine last hurrah for affordable Natural Aspiration. Even that car feels light, because compared to 75% of cars on the road it is; it feels quick, it feels agile, it feels fun all because it is lighter than other cars. It turns 30mph drives to work into something enjoyable, zipping around mini roundabouts with zeal, the engine singing and then barking on cam. If you're willing to work it, it will reward you all day long.

For me, that's how a car should be. Anyone can drive a turbo car quickly, it's what they're designed to do. The old Sport requires patience to stretch its legs, but when it does, it never fails to entertain. If it was a two seat sports car, you'd not feel short changed, but then it throws in five doors, sat nav, DAB and Air Conditioning to make it truly useful. I know the new one is going to be very good, but I don't know if it'll be the car its predecessor is.

VXR
The outgoing one is definitely a fine last hurrah for affordable Natural Aspiration. Even that car feels light, because compared to 75% of cars on the road it is; it feels quick, it feels agile, it feels fun all because it is lighter than other cars. It turns 30mph drives to work into something enjoyable, zipping around mini roundabouts with zeal, the engine singing and then barking on cam. If you're willing to work it, it will reward you all day long.

For me, that's how a car should be. Anyone can drive a turbo car quickly, it's what they're designed to do. The old Sport requires patience to stretch its legs, but when it does, it never fails to entertain. If it was a two seat sports car, you'd not feel short changed, but then it throws in five doors, sat nav, DAB and Air Conditioning to make it truly useful. I know the new one is going to be very good, but I don't know if it'll be the car its predecessor is.
What hooked me was, coming to Australia, seeing these were still sold. The standard car already sits nicely on its suspension. A slight drop of 15mm, makes a dramatic difference in appearance. Love these cars.

The ZC31S & ZC32S, still have the goods. The new model just continues the legacy of SSS mini hot hatch. Sub-Zero. ;)
suzuki-swift-sport-body-copy-old-new-comparison.jpg

The new Swift looks very awesome. I bet if Suzuki wanted to sell cars again in the United States, the Swift would be a great compliment to their cause. I am not sure if I like the previous model or the newer model more looks-wise. The new Swift does have more character, and infinitely more character than the Aerio of the early 2000s. But... I like this! Me likey.

I always liked the Swift Sport a lot and I like this one a lot as well. <<<< (Looks like this was written by a 10 y.o.).

Back