Toyota C-HR

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 65 comments
Australia
Australia
Powering the Japanese built vehicles destined for Australia is a 1.2-litre four cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces a respectable 85kW of power and 185Nm of torque. It can either be had as a front-wheel drive with a six-speed manual or as an all-wheel drive with a continuously variable transmission...1460kg kerb weight.
chr_supporting_content_koba_488x276.png

chr_supporting_content_488x276.png

tech.png

Soon to be unleashed on the buying public
http://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-c-hr-details-firm-105189/

Gazoo Racing version 24H Nurb
Toyota-C-HR-racing-004-760x416.jpg

TRD
trd-c-hr-002.jpg

trd-c-hr-001.jpg

I really like the look of this car, probably my favourite compact crossover on sale right now. If only the UK spec had a ~160hp variant...

It's also available as a hybrid (with Prius' guts).

I quite like it, I just wish it was available with a more powerful powertrain. It could even stay a hybrid if that's what Toyota wants, but it's too damn slow as it stands.

This car has been on sale since early December in Europe if I'm correct. I was invited by Toyota to view it during its launch.

It's a pretty car, but it is going to be cramped in the back because of the sloping roofline. Other than that the seats are very nice, the hybrid has a very nice blue trim in the interior. I sat in a fully option White Pearl CHR, with a slightly brownish tone to the interior. It came with parking sensors, sat-nav, auto-park, and the lot.

I think in person it looks much better, especially with the sportier 18" wheels. (Or 17", I am guessing the showcar had 18"s)

What bothered me though, was the plastic finish on everything. With all options it came at 35,000 euros. I am not sure how prices fare for crossovers, but at this pricepoint I wished for a better interior finish.

It's like a mashed together Juke and Civic but I quite like it.

It's like a mashed together Juke and Civic but I quite like it.

Initially I thought the C-HR was supposed to be a Juke rival but reviewers are keen to point out it is nearly as long as a Qashqai - the Toyota is 4360mm while the larger Nissan crossover is 4379mm. The Juke is only 4135mm.

Initially I thought the C-HR was supposed to be a Juke rival but reviewers are keen to point out it is nearly as long as a Qashqai - the Toyota is 4360mm while the larger Nissan crossover is 4379mm. The Juke is only 4135mm.
Wow, really? I couldn't tell that from the photos funnily enough. That's a plus-point for such a large car.

The HRV is 4295mm and the CX-3 4275mm. However I did think the C-HR would be shorter.

TRD has released another styling package dubbed "AggressiveStyle". I don't think the C-HR needed to be be any more aggressive... :boggled:

I like the seats. Just hope they're as comfy as they say. The CX-3 seats are the standard for comfort in that marque.

They are! Probably the best seats in any Toyota.

I feel like that we're missing another engine in the line-up. The 1.2T is enough to get it going, and it'll do 200kph, but it's just such a tiny engine and you notice it just about everywhere, and all of that paired with the horrendeous Multidrive gearbox doesn't make it any better. The Hybrid is also decent and would certainly be the engine of my choice for the car.

I'm certainly hoping that the engine that will be used in the new Yaris Sport will make it's way into the C-HR as well.

But overall I can say that the car is really nice to drive, surprisingly sporty (handling-wise) for a crossover, and the overall style is very Lexus - like.

Oh, and we're already selling a ton of them, so that's good as well.

Contrasting roof looks...bad.
cp4i7474-1.jpg

cp4i7477-1.jpg

Also, as I've read. The CH-R will only be FWD in the US. If that's true, that would be a huge mistake. Especially up here in the northeast where it'd sell pretty well if it had AWD.

I actually don't mind the contrasting roof (though it'd be better with a black roof, I suspect). And I absolutely love that colour, which is straight from the 90s.

Not driven the C-HR yet, but heard some very positive things from colleagues about the way it drives.

I see one almost every day. They are already available for sale in Belgium.

This car looks much, much better in real life than on photo/commercial.

I actually don't mind the contrasting roof (though it'd be better with a black roof, I suspect). And I absolutely love that colour, which is straight from the 90s.

Not driven the C-HR yet, but heard some very positive things from colleagues about the way it drives.

There was mention of a black roof. Would do a little better. It really does scream 90's with the teal color as well.

I actually don't mind the CH-R. Would choose it over the HR-V, Renegade, and Juke. But then there's the CX-3, which I also like.

It's not a colour choice I'd do, but at least Toyota have colour. Mazda used to do yellow. All they basically have are the "Toyota beiges" of today: red, silver, blue, white and black.

I'm curious to see the C-HR in person, and the teal only intensifies that desire. Its a shame it won't have AWD, to be a proper Juke competitor in the US, it seems like it'd be a no-brainer. But, it's got a lot of great standard equipment and it looks brilliant. It might slide in as a great option.

I love that in teal with the white roof. I've only seen one in silver so far, but it certainly catches the eye.

I have the 1.2 petrol on my drive right now. I can report that it is firmly middle-of-the-road and hopelessly underpowered. And at 40mpg, with a 8.5 gallon tank*, no.

*50 litres, officially. I filled it up yesterday with the petrol light on (1 gallon) and got 34 litres (7.5 gallons) in; Got 320 miles out of it at a reported 39.9mpg, have 18 miles range left (338/39.9 = 8.5)

What is with this niche of small crossover that makes the stylists not want the rear passengers to be able to see (much) out of the rear side windows. They're the size of portholes or airplane windows. The Juke is the same.

The exterior is great but the interior, particularly the dash, I find is a bit disappointing. It's futuristic looking enough in layout but the buttons, switch gear and materials look dated. It's all very 90's in there, or rather what a 90's concept car interior might have looked like.

upload_2017-2-12_21-53-27.png
upload_2017-2-12_21-50-52.png

Last edited:
The exterior is great but the interior, particularly the dash, I find is a bit disappointing. It's futuristic looking enough in layout but the buttons, switch gear and materials look dated. It's all very 90's in there, or rather what a 90's concept car interior might have looked like.

View attachment 627472 View attachment 627471

Toyota's minor switchgear has always been terrible from my experience.

Back