Toyota C-HR

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 65 comments
The exterior is great but the interior, particularly the dash, I find is a bit disappointing. It's futuristic looking enough in layout but the buttons, switch gear and materials look dated. It's all very 90's in there, or rather what a 90's concept car interior might have looked like.

View attachment 627472 View attachment 627471

VXR
Toyota's minor switchgear has always been terrible from my experience.
It's got the exact same cruise control stalk and accessory buttons as they've used for years. It's a familiarization thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If a person owns a 1992 Corolla (like I did) and they get in this car, they'll already know exactly how to use the cruise or turn on the lights. My 1998 Lexus has the same cruise switch as my old Corolla, and new Corollas, and I love it.

It's got the exact same cruise control stalk and accessory buttons as they've used for years. It's a familiarization thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If a person owns a 1992 Corolla (like I did) and they get in this car, they'll already know exactly how to use the cruise or turn on the lights. My 1998 Lexus has the same cruise switch as my old Corolla, and new Corollas, and I love it.

They could keep the switchgears functionality the same and just update the aesthetics and materials.

There are many ways Toyota could have in essence made the same stalk, button etc but I guess they take the 'ain't broke' approach which is fair enough but looking like half the cabin came from a 90's parts bin is slight shame IMO especially with such a modern exterior.

@Robin. Well, they've done that. The stalk looks different. It's a different part number. But that's sort of irrelevant, except in cases where it has to be shaped differently. It's still the exact same layout with the exact same functionality. As for a button that opens your trunk, how much work do you have to put into it? It's just a button that you press. All it has to do is be reliable. You can't even see it until you look for it, and it's just black plastic.

8463006010-1199001040-1992-2003-toyota-steering-column-cruise-control-switch-stalk-new-oem-846300601.jpg

Toyota-8463234011-Cruise-Control-Stalk-Switch-Yaris-Land-_57.jpg

There, they changed it. The bolt holes are different and they changed the font.

But it doesn't matter much, because this is a switch that operators don't even look at. They already know how to use it because they've been using it for 25 years. Maybe it's a big deal in Europe were you pay $30,000 for a hatchback you drive 4,000 miles a year, but here we just want cheap cars that work for a long time. If a Toyota has 200,000 miles on it and the cruise switch isn't still working I'd be pretty disappointed.

@Keef It must be more of a European thing and yes it's likely to do with cost, here even mainstream brands usually replace the entire switchgear package every few years. It's not unusual to see a new car with substantially different switchgear and stalks even if they work exactly the same.

I think they should put a lot of effort into designing something as simple as a trunk release for example because these are the things you most interact with. People buy a good looking car then proceed to never see it 90% of the time whereas nice switchgear is something you can appreciate all the time.

I'm not doubting the importance of familiarity or functionality, just keeping things fresh with a new design language helps complement all the effort that has been made on the exterior.

I was at the premiere on 18th November.
The car is now on the streets.
Looks cool in white. But I'm not 100% fond of the front design.

toyota_c_hr_by_unitoone-daoy4fl.jpg

toyota_c_hr_by_unitoone-daoy5j4.jpg
toyota_c_hr_by_unitoone-daoy5io.jpg
toyota_c_hr_by_unitoone-daoy5jr.jpg

I think they should put a lot of effort into designing something as simple as a trunk release for example because these are the things you most interact with. People buy a good looking car then proceed to never see it 90% of the time whereas nice switchgear is something you can appreciate all the time.
Once I've worked out how it operates I'm not sure I ever look at an indicator stalk or aircon button. Its action is far more important than its appearance, particularly, as @Keef says, when it's something basically entirely hidden by a steering wheel. I've spent the last few days being driven barmy by the daft Mercedes cruise control stalk that seemingly changes its functions at random, so Toyota's tried-and-tested one would have been a godsend.

The actual bits that you interact with and see, like the steering wheel or gear selector, Toyota changes as frequently as anyone else.

If we're going to take the piss out of anything, it should be that Toyota is still using the same little LCD clock it's been using for about three decades (see beside the infotainment screen):

Toyota-CHR-Interior-2.jpg

...though having searched in vain for a decent, easy-to-read and easy-to-locate clock in dozens of other cars in the past, perhaps that too is perfectly fine.

In my opinion, this just looks like a copy of the Honda HR-V / Civic:
The shape is the same as the HR-V; the lights and the lines are pretty similar...
2015-Honda-HR-V-placement-626x382.jpg
2017-toyota-c-hr-japan-1.jpg

The brake lights are pretty similar to the Civic hatch.
Toyota-C-HR-articleTitle-db9e1cb3-932277.jpg
Screen-Shot-2016-11-11-at-6.49.06-PM.png

the same little LCD clock
The JDM clock! Love it. My Del Sol, EM1, RX7, Corolla and now my GS300 all have it. I know exactly where to find the time, and everybody else in the car can see it too. It works.

Oddly, NA Miata don't appear to have one. I guess that's just how basic the Miata is.

In my opinion, this just looks like a copy of the Honda HR-V / Civic:
The shape is the same as the HR-V; the lights and the lines are pretty similar...
They're similar... apart from everything that is completely different.

The proportions are just default small crossover: strip away all the details from a Juke or the new Mitsubishi thing in the other thread and those aren't dissimilar either.

As has been pointed out a few times though, the C-HR is in the segment above the Juke/HR-V. It's more Nissan Qashqai/Rogue or Honda CR-V-sized.
Oddly, NA Miata don't appear to have one. I guess that's just how basic the Miata is.
With the roof down, Miata owners tell the time based on the position of the sun.

Once I've worked out how it operates I'm not sure I ever look at an indicator stalk or aircon button. Its action is far more important than its appearance, particularly, as @Keef says, when it's something basically entirely hidden by a steering wheel.

I look at these things all the time, even if it's just a glace. I do appreciate when the switch gear has some sort of synergy with the rest of the interiors styling, otherwise it looks jarring and screams parts bin. Also don't you want to stare at something nice when your sitting waiting somewhere? TVR have seemingly wasted all their time with their stalks of desire!

If we're going to take the piss out of anything, it should be that Toyota is still using the same little LCD clock it's been using for about three decades (see beside the infotainment screen):

I'm really not a fan of that clock, it's not even a modern font LCD, it's full on vacuum fluorescent 90's microwave!

TVR have seemingly wasted all their time with their stalks of desire!
That's because you need to stare at something when the rest of the car isn't working.

Still not sure I agree though. As has been mentioned, the stalks are almost completely hidden by the steering wheel, and to use they operate perfectly, which is surely all one could ask for in a stalk in anything other than an ultra-bling supercar.

Not saying I don't appreciate details like that, but there's a time and a place. The rest of the Toyota's cabin seems perfectly fine to me (not yet driven one, but it looks okay in pictures), and they've made more of an effort with things you do see, like mood lighting or the instruments, so the stalks really don't bother me.
I'm really not a fan of that clock, it's not even a modern font LCD, it's full on vacuum fluorescent 90's microwave!
It's become a bit of a running joke, though as Keef points out it's another resolutely function-over-form component - it never goes wrong, it's always easy to read, and it presumably saves them a few quid too.

Yeah. Had a look at one at the dealer down the road from me. Not as dynamic in the metal. Maybe with the JDM aero pieces or lowered with nice alloys, but it almost looks dated. I'd like to see some of the sketches that were turned down.

The blind spots must be horrendous. Not like the average driver knows how to look anyway.

But it is a popular car indeed, saw quite a few in Metro Atlanta area.

This car is already proving to be a hit, over 80,000 have been reserved in Europe alone. :eek:

Half of the cars currently on order in our dealership are in fact C-HR's. They're seriously popular.

The blind spots must be horrendous. Not like the average driver knows how to look anyway.

Absoluetly agreed, it's one of the only I actively plead and recommend to the customer to option a reversing camera. There's no way you could park this car without one.

Yeah. Had a look at one at the dealer down the road from me. Not as dynamic in the metal.

Me too, it doesn't look as crazy as it does in the pictures in person, more like a slightly sharper Qashqai which was kind of disappointing.

I've driven the CHR at my dealership and I've got to say, I like it. The interior is really nice in a clean and concise sort of way. I haven't seen any in the wild, however, as I heard (At least in Illinois) that deals and rebates are low. One problem I have with it is the rear view visibilty, you can hardly see anu car that's smaller than yours.

Id say it looks pretty good like that actually. First time in a very long time that toyota has been one of the better looking companies across the board.

Does that grill look similar to the ToyotaMazda2Yaris sedan?

I'm getting a ton of Renault vibes instead, oddly.

I've never seen that color ever before on a C-HR.

It's new for 2020. I still miss the turquoise/white combo...

It's a light facelift, keeping the general look intact, which is good. It's just a shame there's no interesting drivetrain combos in Canada. The 2.0-liter/CVT/FWD is the only choice.

I'm getting a ton of Renault vibes instead, oddly.

It's new for 2020. I still miss the turquoise/white combo...

It's a light facelift, keeping the general look intact, which is good. It's just a shame there's no interesting drivetrain combos in Canada. The 2.0-liter/CVT/FWD is the only choice.
Same here in america. I believe the addition of AWD might help it a bit sales wise maybe.

Latest Posts

Back