2017 Rallycross Thread. World RX/GRC/national championshipsRally 

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Congratulations to
Mattias Ekström
on their 2016 FIA World Rallycross Championship victory.

2017 Euro/World RX calendar. Goodbye Argentina, hello Cape Town. RX Lites have been renamed to "RX2".

Cu9rYx0WEAAVwVO.jpg

Well Gothamn. Guess Brian Deegan's Traxxas sponsorship as apt because now we'll be seeing a bunch of Traxxas Rallys with driver cages and gigantic brushless motors now.

Real talk; I'm pretty excited about this

EDIT: It just dawned on me; could we see Andretti fielding EV Volkswagens (or even Audis like EKS) alongside the gas Beetles? Or will EKS be bringing over factory backed electric Audis, since World RX could be doing this as well?

I was reading just a few days ago about an electric Peugeot 207 built by Manfred Stohl's team with 550hp and 15 minutes battery life (more than enough for a RX race).

Here's a link (unfortunately from Motorsport.com but it will do) http://www.motorsport.com/rally/news/world-s-first-electric-rallycross-car-revealed-843163/
According to this video,
This thing looks, sounds, and drives like my old Traxxas rally. I really wanna see these things in person at the Washington DC GRC race in 2018. And I really miss my old Traxxas Rally and never should have sold it

The World RX round in Great Britain will move from Lydden Hill to Silverstone this year.

Because, as we all know, Silverstone is the only circuit in Britain.

This is what happens when the quality of a track is measured by how nice the toilets are rather than how interesting the asphalt (and gravel) bits are.

To be fair, Lydden Hill is fairly dull. No doubt the organisers want to try and replicate the success of the Hockenheim and Barcelona rounds, which use the stadium sections of the Grand Prix circuits very well. But I have no idea how they might do it at Silverstone unless they revive the old Abbey section.

I'll be sure to check out highlights of the FIA World Rallycross Championship when it begins proper. Of course here in the States, I'm looking forward to the 2017 edition of Global Rallycross.

So Liam Doran appears in the new Monster Energy short film "Doonies 3" Guess it was filmed before he got canned?

So Liam Doran appears in the new Monster Energy short film "Doonies 3" Guess it was filmed before he got canned?

It filmed in December, Doran finished the season in a Citroen after losing the Mini ride, no clue what team ran it though.

Only race Doran entered after getting the boot from his WRX drive was the British GP in his DS3

1. IIRC that's the same car used in Doonies 3
2. Guess either Monster never dropped him for some reason or their contract runs out after this year.
3. I guess he had that Citroen all along in storage as he was doing World RX

I think this is seperate from GRC . The GRC series seems like it will be running together on weekends with Supercars. This is a winter series starting in November and going through spring.Speed league will also be having an off road truck race in Tucson in april and be sanctioning races at Xgames

Last edited:
Not sure what any of this is gonna mean... Will we get a second US Rallycross series? Stadium Super Trucks now have a new owner? TV/Internet coverage? Either way, I look forward to seeing these electric rallycross cars even though they appear to be a bunch of spec cars
Doesn't seem like it has anything to do with SST and in fact SST has their schedule out but no Tucson race in April. The photos on their site are from Xgames GRC and SST events and probably have little meaning. Still too little info out about the series. Yet they are already selling tickets for Tucson in April. Other than that nothing has been said about cars or drivers, etc... I think it's safe to say they will be at Xgames in MN this summer in some form

I think this is seperate from GRC . The GRC series seems like it will be running together on weekends with Supercars. This is a winter series starting in November and going through spring.Speed league will also be having an off road truck race in Tucson in april and be sanctioning races at Xgames

So winter Rallycross? I hope there's snow rounds!
Doesn't seem like it has anything to do with SST and in fact SST has their schedule out but no Tucson race in April. The photos on their site are from Xgames GRC and SST events and probably have little meaning. Still too little info out about the series. Yet they are already selling tickets for Tucson in April. Other than that nothing has been said about cars or drivers, etc... I think it's safe to say they will be at Xgames in MN this summer in some form
Xgames in in Minnesota? Also, I'm kinda hoping they start a national short course series that can give TORC and the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing series a run for their money

So winter Rallycross? I hope there's snow rounds!
Yeah, the article about the electric rallycross says it will be a five race series starting with the Vegas race on Nov 1 and ending in April. It mentions two of the locations will be LA and NYC.
NY could be a good place for a snow round, however I suspect they would just do the finale there.

Xgames in in Minnesota? Also, I'm kinda hoping they start a national short course series that can give TORC and the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing series a run for their money
XGames Austin is done, last year was the final year of it. The summer XGames are in MN this year, and the article also mentions Speed League is the sanctioning body of motorsports events at XGames.
Will be interesting to see what their off road truck races are like. Evidently they are not working with the Lucas Oil Series because their schedule race in Tucson, AZ in April is the same day that the Lucas Oil series will be at Wild Horse Pass Off Road course in AZ as well. Doesn't seem like a great idea... I don't know what the specs of the trucks will be, so it may not matter as far as car counts go, but it could possibly hurt the crowd a bit at both events... I never like seeing series go head to head like that when they are in the same area... Bad for motorsport and bad for the fans that must choose only one of them.

Kinda excited about this new series, however it is severely lacking info....
That Tucson race really isn't that far away from now

XGames Austin is done, last year was the final year of it. The summer XGames are in MN this year, and the article also mentions Speed League is the sanctioning body of motorsports events at XGames.
Will be interesting to see what their off road truck races are like. Evidently they are not working with the Lucas Oil Series because their schedule race in Tucson, AZ in April is the same day that the Lucas Oil series will be at Wild Horse Pass Off Road course in AZ as well. Doesn't seem like a great idea... I don't know what the specs of the trucks will be, so it may not matter as far as car counts go, but it could possibly hurt the crowd a bit at both events... I never like seeing series go head to head like that when they are in the same area... Bad for motorsport and bad for the fans that must choose only one of them.

Kinda excited about this new series, however it is severely lacking info....
That Tucson race really isn't that far away from now
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in that Speed League is a new thing and so remains the possibility for offroad truck sanctioning bodies to work together (or just flat out combine into a national tour like I've been saying for years) in the future.

Petter Solberg gets works support from Volkswagen for 2017 WRX season:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127703/solberg-gets-vw-support-for-2017

His teammate will be Johan Kristoffersson who beat him to the runner-up position last season.

Ohhhhh snap. Looks like we're shaping up for a VW vs. Audi RX rivalry of epic proportions.

Ohhhhh snap. Looks like we're shaping up for a VW vs. Audi RX rivalry of epic proportions.

Yes, but don't forget about Andreas Bakkerud's Focus either, he'll likely be battling for the championship too. The Hansen Peugeot's won't be far off either, epic is the right word.

Yes, but don't forget about Andreas Bakkerud's Focus either, he'll likely be battling for the championship too. The Hansen Peugeot's won't be far off either, epic is the right word.
Honestly in the case of Peugeot, it will be short term speed, long term trouncing,seems to have been the case for the past few years now. As for Ford, who knows

Well, GRC has announced that their schedule will be out on Thursday. Prepared for some possible bad news. They changed their facebook page name from "Red Bull GRC" to Global Rallycross, and the page URL changed to GRCSeries .
I doubt the series can last long without Red Bull, the series just isn't super well known... I go to other races, road courses, paved ovals, dirt tracks, etc... and talk to other race fans. Most people have not even heard of the series...
I hope they will have a sponsor to announce along with the schedule on thursday. I can't imagine the series can survive well without a big sponsor for long. That NBC TV deal cant be cheap. Putting those temporary circuits cant be cheap either... I hope this years schedule doesn't have a higher percentage of oval tracks like Evergreen... Tracks like Dallas, DC and Atlantic City are awesome. I really like the direction the series has been going over the past few years

Back