UEFA Champions League And Europa League thread

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 790 comments
I expected a higher standard of football at this stage of the competition. City were awful. I think the team selection was all wrong and leaving Gundogan and Mahrez on so long was very surprising. Delph should be a last resort left back. Barca were almost as bad but they did show their quality a couple of times (the possession leading to Suarez's late chance was like the Barca of years gone by). They're lacking creative quality in midfield a gave up possession too easily. Messi was anonymous after Smalling smashed him. Man U were shockingly bad as an attacking force. They badly need players. They battled hard and none of them can be faulted for their commitment, but to be so toothless as an attacking force is worrying for the future. In the games that I watched Spurs were the only side that performed well. They were really strong defensively and attacked with purpose at times.

Based on the highlights of the other two games, Liverpool looked stronger than Porto although Porto had some decent chances, while Ajax appear to have played fantastically well again, but Juve will be happy with the result.

Porto have the hardest task in the return leg. Liverpool will fancy their chances of scoring, and if they do the tie is over. I expect City to respond with a much better performance at home, but Spurs are capable of winning again. It's a pity that Kane is out. Barca have probably done enough but they're not a great side and Utd have nothing to fear unless one of Barca's front three have one of their good days. It'll be backs to the wall for Utd and they'll need to take any chance they get. Finally, Juve should have too much for Ajax. Ajax won't think so and will be confident that if they continue to play like they have done Juve won't be able to handle them.

Barcelona had an off night. Still won, got an away goal and a clean sheet. They won’t be that bad again.

Apparently Messi had trouble breathing after the Smalling incident.

Frenkie had Juve’s midfielders and forwards on him yet delivered a masterclass:

Last edited:
Second legs start tonight with Barcelona v Man United and Juventus v Ajax, tomorrow its Man City v Tottenham and Porto v Liverpool.

Good start from Man Utd... two chances in the first two minutes...

edit: VAR comes to the rescue for Man Utd this time!

edit 2: Genius from Messi :bowdown:.... I fear it is already game over, despite a good start for Man Utd.

Also, why is Ashley Young still a thing at Man Utd?

edit 3: Ugh... another howler from De Gea :ouch:

Last edited:
Juve are so slow on the ball it's ridiculous.

On the other hand, I don't know how some of Ajax players didn't get any yellow cards.

Honestly, I would drive Ashley Young to the ariport and buy him a ticket to the MLS myself if I could. He's been poor for most of the season, can't beleive how bad he was tonight. Barcelona were the better team by far outside fo the first 10 minutes. I don't think we deserved to lose by 3 goals, indiviudal mistkaes led to that, but Young started it all. He had a chance to clear the ball or pass it, instead he gifted it to Messi just outside of our area. There should be no place for that kind of poor decision making.

Well played Ajax! Cheerio Ronaldo :P

Well played Messi!... shame for Man Utd, but they did do pretty well to get this far.
It was always going to be tough, I'm gutted about the mistakes that cost us two early goals. Barcelona were always favourites and the chances are that they were through even without those, but it really wasn't the right game for Young to be messing around like he did and for De Gea to make such a mistake.

To be fair to De Gea, he saves us far more often than he costs us anything, but I get the feeling Young is just collecting his pension at United. He's just not good enough anymore.

Barcelona deserved it, no doubt about that. We started spritely, and had Rashfords early effort gone in, it might have been a better game for us, but we call all dream of ifs, buts and maybes.

As for Ajax, that's incredible, you could have classed Real Madrid as a one off, but not now.

Well, Buffon can sleep again. Would have been awful/hilarious if Juve had won the Champions League, the season after he leaves for PSG to try and win it with them.

United burning down like Notre Dame.
Notre Dame has, however, already raised almost €1billion in 24 hours in order to rebuild - Man Utd are going to have to sell a few players to come anywhere near that.

Notre Dame has, however, already raised almost €1billion in 24 hours in order to rebuild - Man Utd are going to have to sell a few players to come anywhere near that.
That’s incredible to be honest.

Last edited:
We are so far behind the likes of Barcelona right now, going to take at least three years to get to that sort of level, a lot of rebuilding is needed, including nearly an entire defence!

What a story for Ajax, incredible stuff! 👍:eek:

"The €112 million Juventus spent on acquiring Ronaldo is €20m more than Ajax's annual revenues. The team's wage bill is €4m short of what the five-time Ballon d'Or winner makes before tax."

Article.

I am delighted for Ajax in that nostalgic, old-school big teams from the 1990s kind of way. I am also delighted because they objectively play brilliant football and have some superb talents there. My only fear is that off the back of this success the team is broken up and sold off and they'll be back to square one like they were for so many years previously.

Ajax are playing the best football in the tournament for me. Breathtaking from start to finish. On yourself lads!

I am delighted for Ajax in that nostalgic, old-school big teams from the 1990s kind of way. I am also delighted because they objectively play brilliant football and have some superb talents there. My only fear is that off the back of this success the team is broken up and sold off and they'll be back to square one like they were for so many years previously.
The only good thing is most their team is filled with Uber pricey youngsters so they will get big money for them. Maybe they can use that to maintain the level, Maybe.

Incredible start to the Man City v Tottenham QF...

Man City scored within 5 mins to make the tie level at 1-1...

.. but Son has just scored two in 3 minutes for Spurs! :lol: 2-1 up on the night and 3-1 up on aggregate - and only 9 minutes played.

Man City now need to score 3...

edit: And they have one back already - it's 2-2 after just 10 minutes :eek:

Back