UEFA Champions League And Europa League thread

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 790 comments
Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino both out of the second leg against Barcelona tomorrow.

Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino both out of the second leg against Barcelona tomorrow.

I was afraid of that but it makes sense. I would rather have both available for Sunday in a must win game. But I thought I read somewhere that Salah might not be available for Sunday either.

Good first half for Liverpool tonight, and they deserve to be 1-0 up at half time (1-3 down on aggregate though)...

Barca have looked dangerous on the break and they are getting quite a lot of opportunities to break as Liverpool push for goals, but Liverpool look capable of a possible upset here... but they cannot afford to let Barca score now.

Mane has been instrumental so far, though everyone is playing quite well with the exception of Shaqiri who has been absolutely woeful - he is way out of his depth here. Messi has been relatively quiet, and Suarez has been mixing it a lot with some typically unsporting behaviour from him.

If Liverpool can score earlyish in the second half then they have a good chance of producing an upset... Shaqiri needs to come off though as he has been a complete liability thus far.

Liverpool are playing well, but it will be hard for them to score another two without conceeding that all important away goal to Barcelona. And if, which is still a big if, Liverpool do manage another 2 goals, what then, do they go for a fourth or try to sit back and hold Barcelona off. I wouldn't risk taking thier feet off the pedal if I was Klopp, but that has it's own risks. This will be a really interesting second half, it's been an entertaining game so far.

Valverde must hand his resignation immediately. Two of the most embarrassing CL exits in the history.

Wow, absolutely incredible performance from Liverpool. Well deserved.

Unbelievable Jeff...

No Salah, no Firmino - Robertson off at half time... 4-0 win :bowdown:

Every player was great, even Shaqiri sharpened up in the second half and gave it everything... but Origi, Mane, Wijnaldum and Alexander-Arnold deserve the lion's share of the credit.

Superb... I think my bet on Ajax might be a little shaky now!

Last edited:
All that, only to lose to Spurs in the final. ;) ( j/k!)

I actually laughed at Liverpool fans thinking they could come back as well, but better team over the 2 legs. And that corner deserved to win it!

Last edited:
I think my bet on Ajax might be a little shaky now!

On the other hand, Liverpool are now the giant, and Ajax already chopped a couple of those down this year.

But before we go too fast, I hope that tomorrow will be as good of a game as this one.

It's sad for Messi, but I'm absolutely pissing myself laughing at Suarez tonight... what an utter disgrace that man is, and I hope he doesn't bite anyone on his way back to the airport tonight. He's an embarrassment to a great team and to the sport in general.

But, a special mention for Jurgen Klopp... he sounded like a bit of a daydreamer before the match, saying that 'anything can happen' etc., but what a team he has put together here... and their strategy and tactics were absolutely perfect tonight... and they had to be. Well played Klopp... two finals in a row :bowdown: Let's hope Salah gets a chance to play in the final after being cheated by that utter swine* Sergio Ramos last year.

*other nouns are available

Last edited:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YES YES YES YES YES YES!

**** BARCA AND **** LA LIGA!!!!

A NON SPANISH TEAM IS GONNA WIN!

Oh man :lol:

Klopp just dropped the F-bomb in the post match interview... he was struggling to find the words to describe the game and looked down at his watch to check that we were past the UK watershed (for swearing on TV) and said something along the lines of "I don't know how the boys did it, they were 🤬 incredible!"

Now that was funny!

Absolutely incredible!, what a performance by Liverpool, what a night for them, full credit to Jurgen and the players who were all warriors on the pitch tonight, very well deserved. 👍

Barcelona were shocking, a nice spell in the second half from them but after its was 2-0 they just stopped playing and there was no urgency whatsoever, Messi had a few nice moments but generally quite quiet.

So its Liverpool and either Tottenham or Ajax in the Champions League final, who would have predicted that at the start of the season?!?!?

I can only picture our ex-Ajax players being disappointed tomorrow, hope I'm wrong!

I don't. Not just because it's a Dutch club aiming for the final but I hate single country finals. It already will be a final without champions, and if it is a final with 2 teams from the same country, and neither of them are champions, it really takes away a lot for me.

edit.

And it shows, this Barca is nothing when Messi has his shoes on the wrong feet.

Oh man :lol:

Klopp just dropped the F-bomb in the post match interview... he was struggling to find the words to describe the game and looked down at his watch to check that we were past the UK watershed (for swearing on TV) and said something along the lines of "I don't know how the boys did it, they were 🤬 incredible!"

Now that was funny!

No matter what you think of Liverpool, you can't help but like Klopp.
Liverpool need to learn from tonight though, they will fancy their chances against either Ajax or Spurs, but if they think they've won it before a ball is kicked they might come unstuck. I certainly wouldn't write off Ajax.

Morning after the night before and I’m still struggling to believe what we did.

The whole team were immense, but praise to Klopp for getting them in to the right mindset. They never stopped chasing the ball.

Ranks alongside 2005 as our greatest European night.

Back