2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
TEN defenders and only five midfielders?

Guess he's not planning on a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 at any point, because one injury would screw that up.

Ten defenders... *facepalm*

Edit: Did Eric Dier and Ashley Young even play any football this season?

He'll likely play some of the defenders in wide positions ahead of a 3 man defenseman anyway. Some of the midfielders and strikers are likely to be interchangeable with each other anyway.

At least Jake Livermore isnt there (although he is a reserve)

TEN defenders and only five midfielders?

Guess he's not planning on a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 at any point, because one injury would screw that up.

Ten defenders... *facepalm*

Edit: Did Eric Dier and Ashley Young even play any football this season?

Yes they did and more than many other players included, like Rose for instance.

But it's bloody stupid to take 3 right backs and 3 left backs, even though a couple can and may play other positions too but he's done it because our central midfielders are mostly utter rubbish and/or basically extra defenders anyway.

One positive is no Bertrand and Livermore.

Yes they did and more than many other players included, like Rose for instance.
Then it's probably not a good sign they were so anonymous!

I've just had a look at Dier's FPL stats for the season, and he only missed four games, playing less than an hour in two others - but he only scored more than the basic played 90 plus clean sheet (3pt) on two occasions, compared to 16 for Dele Alli. Young is better, either missing or playing less than an hour in 11 games, but doing more than bare minimum in 7.

I'm sure the England manager knows better than I do, but how can it be better to have over-redundancy in defence and take three players for each position and not, as a rough example, find a spot for Ryan Sessegnon?

England's 23 (for those that care, if you're out there)

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.

10 defenders? Yikes :ill:

And what are you guys planning to do with such a limited pool of players in the midfield?

10 defenders? Yikes :ill:

And what are you guys planning to do with such a limited pool of players in the midfield?

Nothing, just like normal. Our manager is worse than normal too for good measure.

The team will be 343/3421 and it'll be pass sideways until someone finds a wingback who'll waste the ball by hitting it into the other teams players who'll be defending all game too or way over the players in the middle or out for a goal kick or anything else bad.

Then whilst we can't create anything we just wait for one long ball or set piece to induce something dumb for one of our defenders/gk and then goal for the opponent who goes back to mass defence again and we lose 1-0.

Then one player will get all of the blame but without Rooney I'm not sure who'll be the target now.

Nothing, just like normal. Our manager is worse than normal too for good measure.

The team will be 343/3421 and it'll be pass sideways until someone finds a wingback who'll waste the ball by hitting it into the other teams players who'll be defending all game too or way over the players in the middle or out for a goal kick or anything else bad.

Then whilst we can't create anything we just wait for one long ball or set piece to induce something dumb for one of our defenders/gk and then goal for the opponent who goes back to mass defence again and we lose 1-0.

Then one player will get all of the blame but without Rooney I'm not sure who'll be the target now.
Sterling.

Delph wont be a right back, he will be a midfielder.

Good squad IMO, got a decent balance to it.

I'll let you tell the FA that.

Well, back in PES2013, Delph is listed as a Midfielder xD

Buuuuut also in PES2013 Erick Dier is listed as a Center Back, so either way there are 10 defenders in the list :/

As for Mexico's list, I'm just gonna say we are royally screwed: The Dos Antros brothers shouldn't even be considered as reserves, Rafa Márquez is just going for a vacation, our midfield is full of non-playmakers and our strikers, except for "Chucky" Lozano, have no firepower.

3 and done people. That's all I see for México in this World Cup.

Last edited:
Shame about Martial, I wanted him to wreck France's opposition and get him place back at Utd before we foolishly let him go.

I saw England's squad, and all I want to comment is this:
The squad's current top scorer is Danny Welbeck.
Let's pray for a quarter-final for this World Cup...

Okay, jokes aside, I believe some players deserved it more to get in the plane, like Jamaal Lascelles, James Tarkowski, Jack Cork maybe Charlie Austin and Marc Albrighton as well.

Managers can get really weird with their choices sometimes...

If Australia can make the last 16 that will be like winning the cup(even though we got a good group) given the side we got atm, slightly better side then last world cup but miles away from what we had in 2006.

Im happy they selected Arzani though, if we lost a talent like that to another country it would haunt us for years, I expect he will be snapped up by a big club(likely city) if he does well.

And Spain drop Chelsea's players, except Azpilicueta - no Alonso, no Fabregas and no Morata...
Not sure what all those head coaches had for breakfast...
In the meantime Belgium is raging because Martinez didn’t select Nainggolan today.

Wow. To be fair, that's a bit of an oversight.

Germany to win again then?

Seems weird to take Fellaini and Jazuzaj ahead of Nainggolan. Maybe Martinez just hates his hair :D

He’s always had something against Nainggolan because of his attitude and lack of discipline. But the way he played at AS Roma the last couple of months..., you just don’t leave someone with his qualities at home...

And it’s his zero Fs given mentality that often gives our team the edge:

Last edited:
I'm more shocked at Argentina omitting Mauro Icardi, top scorer in Serie A this season.

Alleged rumour is that he and Messi don't see eye to eye but there's nothing to substantiate it.

Back