• 203 comments
Australia
Australia
Holden Commodore ZB

0f4db1831dc23f5235986b9d7d7a01c9e08317dc.jpg

2018-holden-commodore-spied-wagon.jpg

Last edited:
So... FWD or AWD and no V8?

Why did they call it the Commodore then?

+edit
Nevermind, AWD only I guess.

It should look alright I guess and from the specs it should be a good car, but it seems like it would irritate most of the people who buy the Commodore in the first place.

Wonder if it's a front biased AWD. Otherwise might be able to rip the front axle fuse out, rwd ahoyhoy.
I'm sure it won't be long after release til there's a RWD one ripping skids at Summernats or the like.

Wonder if it's a front biased AWD. Otherwise might be able to rip the front axle fuse out, rwd ahoyhoy.
I'm sure it won't be long after release til there's a RWD one ripping skids at Summernats or the like.
Apparently it will send a maximum of 50% to the rear wheels.

All of a sudden, car manufacturers have a hard-on for drift modes. Starting to get more noticeable that performance cars are designed for the sole purpose of impressing motoring journalists...

The V6 will be too expensive I can see it already.

They should have a Bare bones version of that V6 AWD so the average bogan can afford the Faux Commodore.

They really can't win with this car, and yet they're doing the same odd things to try that GM North America did in the late 1980s. It's odd.
Holden seem to want to attempt it purely because the Commodore is the best seller for the brand, its pretty much expected to fail as the Vectra which the Insignia replaced sold poorly here, but if they can get HSV support with the car then maybe something can be saved.

imo they probably should of went with the Cadillac ATS and make some cheapo version of it and that would do the job and no one would be the wiser.

Isn't that the Buick Lacrosse?
Yes which is a Opel Insignia.

The Insignia is the Regal here in the US, based on the old Epsilon chassis. The new Insignia, Regal, and presumably this new Commodore will be based on the new E2XX chassis that's underneath the new Chevrolet Malibu, which has been pretty well accepted since launch. The larger Chevrolet Impala and new Buick LaCrosse ride on the P2XX chassis, which is a larger variant of the E2XX. Chicken and egg situation on which begat which.

Since the E2XX chassis and it's variants have already been pretty well accepted in the US, I'm interested to see how well of a job Holden can do to shake it out a bit more. Powertrains are definitely going to be the huge question mark for GM, here, as it has been a bit of a jumble here. I'm hoping that GM decides to drop in that 400 BHP 3.0TT V6 from the CT6, which should give it some great sporting potential, and position the Buick Regal GS pretty well once that inevitably shows up.

Holden are gambling on Holden customers. At the same, they're going to get fwd customers that bought Cruze. They may even get back customers that switched to Mazda6/Aurion/Maxima/Altima, etc. When I worked for Mazda, many people were trading in Falcons and Commodores because of fuel economy. A husband told his wife(when seeing their old VFII SS-V sitting next to their new Mazda3 SP25), "I'm gonna hate this car more than I loved my Commodore."

This new Commodore looks like an all together very well thought out, sleek, practical and sensible car. I hate it.

Where are the multitudes of vents? Where is the tyre-shredding rear-wheel drive? Where is the big, shouty, earth-killing V8? Where is the stupidity?

But worst of all...

WHERE ARE THE MACHINE GUNS?

Curses to this sensible, environment-conscious world we now live in, and curses to its lack of V8s.

Holden are gambling on Holden customers. At the same, they're going to get fwd customers that bought Cruze. They may even get back customers that switched to Mazda6/Aurion/Maxima/Altima, etc. When I worked for Mazda, many people were trading in Falcons and Commodores because of fuel economy. A husband told his wife(when seeing their old VFII SS-V sitting next to their new Mazda3 SP25), "I'm gonna hate this car more than I loved my Commodore."
All 4 of those cars combined don't sell as much as the Commodore, the only Mid sizer that sells good in Australia is the Camry, This does have potential as there has been no Commodore at any time period that was ever good on fuel, and this comes in a Diesel and 4cyl.

I think there is potential to milk sales out of this using the Commodore name with a car that won't cost your weeks wage filling it up.

...do you guys have Cadillac in AU?

I searched the web and found this extremely dated website.
We haven't sold Cadillac from factory whilst I've been alive.

Looking at the Insignias Engine and drive train configurations I'm wondering why the AWD is limited to the V6 as both FWD engines that are coming have a AWD option on the Insignia.

If the Base 2.0L Turbo is the 247hp unit though then I guess there will be good times, the car is alot lighter then a Commodore so it will Fly compared to the current SV6.

Dunno if GMH want to spend the money and no one buys those models. I mean, Subaru do well with awd everything. How much of a premium will awd turbos cost next to fwd? Might negate the awd V6(that Holden studies show Holden owners want) as well. Or an awd 4T might sell better(same thing as negating the awd V6)

The AWD version will be AWD on demand by what I have heard.
So it will be FWD 90% of the time which negates adding the centre diff to give it AWD.

Some holden commondore lovers are saying that this is not a commodore as it is not V8 and FR.

...do you guys have Cadillac in AU?

I searched the web and found this extremely dated website.
We haven't sold Cadillac from factory whilst I've been alive.

Looking at the Insignias Engine and drive train configurations I'm wondering why the AWD is limited to the V6 as both FWD engines that are coming have a AWD option on the Insignia.

If the Base 2.0L Turbo is the 247hp unit though then I guess there will be good times, the car is alot lighter then a Commodore so it will Fly compared to the current SV6.
Cadillacs used to be sold through Holden dealers in Australia but this has happened since 1969.
Unfortunately, the current Cadillac range, including the ATS, are unable to be converted to RHD. Same problem exists with the 6th Gen Camaro.
Shame really :irked: I'd be deliriously happy if they were the answers to our forthcoming problem instead of the hunchback they have in the pipeline :yuck:

I just wonder who Holden are going to rely on for hot factory versions. Don't know if the severed ties to Walkinshaw, include HSV. Red Bull Racing Australia aren't exactly road car builders.

This new Commodore looks like an all together very well thought out, sleek, practical and sensible car. I hate it.

Where are the multitudes of vents? Where is the tyre-shredding rear-wheel drive? Where is the big, shouty, earth-killing V8? Where is the stupidity?

But worst of all...

WHERE ARE THE MACHINE GUNS?

Curses to this sensible, environment-conscious world we now live in, and curses to its lack of V8s.

Those only come out when HSV builds them anyways so...wait and see if they do work on these. The only missing part will be the V8, but I don't really see that as an issue.

The wagon might be the big ticket. Towing will be the main question asked by Commodore loyalists. How much will the fwd turbo pull compared with the V6?

Back