South Florida
Organ-Donor
IMSAweathertech_Logo-site.png
2017 championship winners:
*Prototype: #10 Wayne Taylor Racing Cadillac DPi
*PC: #38 Performance Tech Motorsports
*GTLM: #3 Corvette Racing
*GTD: #63 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari

Notes for 2018: PC class was dropped leaving 3 main classes- Prototype, GTLM, and GTD.
Mid-Ohio replaces COTA on the schedule.

2018 Schedule
Date
/Event/Class/Duration

*Jan 5-7 Roar Before The Rolex 24 At Daytona - P/GTLM/GTD

*Jan 25-28 Rolex 24 At Daytona - P/GTLM/GTD (24h)

*March 14-17 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring - P/GTLM/GTD (12h)

*April 13-14 BUBBA burger SportsCar Grand Prix of Long Beach - P/GTLM (1hr, 40m)

*May 4-6 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - P/GTLM/GTD (2h, 40m)

*June 1-2 Chevrolet Sports Car Classic, Belle Isle Park - P/GTD (1hr, 40m)

*June 28-July 1 Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen - P/GTLM/GTD (6h)

*July 6-8 Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park - P/GTLM/GTD (2h, 40m)

*July 20-21 Northeast Grand Prix, Lime Rock Park - GTLM/GTD (2h, 40m)

*Aug 3-5 Continental Tire Road Race Showcase, Road America - P/GTLM/GTD (2h, 40m)

*Aug 17-19 Michelin GT Challenge, VIRginia International Raceway - GTLM/GTD (2h, 40m)

*Sept 7-9 Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - P/GTLM/GTD (2h, 40m)

*Oct 10-13 Motul Petit Le Mans - P/GTLM/GTD (10h)

TV broadcast schedule: https://www.imsa.com/news/122017/20...e-weathertech-championship-schedule-announced

Last edited:
Daytona should be epic, can’t wait to see Penske back.

Also going to get back to Road America this year. I haven’t been able to go the past few years as I’m not sure if my car would make it.

Daytona should be epic, can’t wait to see Penske back.

Also going to get back to Road America this year. I haven’t been able to go the past few years as I’m not sure if my car would make it.
I will be at Daytona and Sebring as usual. Going to be a great grid. I can't wait for the season to kick off. The week leading up to the race always drags on so long.

I will be at Daytona and Sebring as usual. Going to be a great grid. I can't wait for the season to kick off. The week leading up to the race always drags on so long.

I would love to go to one of them, but it’s a lot of money and a very long road trip. :lol:

I'll be headed to Mid-Ohio for the first time. Went to Road America the last two years and it's an 8 hour drive. Really looking forward to only a 4 hour drive to Mid-Ohio!

Daytona should will be epic, can’t wait to see Penske back.

I don't know how it won't be. Prototype has an estimated over 20 cars among which probably half to 3/4 of can win. GTLM BoP has been absolutely on point so that can be expected to come down to the wire. Then GTD can have pretty well the same said about its field as prototype. If there's any part of the race that's boring it won't be that way for long. I don't think I've ever been more excited for any single race than this coming 24 hours.

I should be heading to Watkins Glen again this year. It's a bit of a haul to go to any of the others, especially the other endurance events. Not that WGI ever disappoints in person. Let's just hope the same car doesn't win the whole first half of the season again. :)

I spend $40/year for a VPN just to watch the IMSA streams with RLM commentary, commercial free. Worth every penny.

I don't know how it won't be. Prototype has an estimated over 20 cars among which probably half to 3/4 of can win. GTLM BoP has been absolutely on point so that can be expected to come down to the wire. Then GTD can have pretty well the same said about its field as prototype. If there's any part of the race that's boring it won't be that way for long. I don't think I've ever been more excited for any single race than this coming 24 hours.

We'll see about GTLM, and even DPi/P2. With the new BMW being introduced it could be a bit of an issue, and the same can be said if an Aston shows up. DPi has that to worry about too on the upgraded P2, DPi Mazda and DPi Acura. Overall it should be tons of fun to watch, but that could in the end be what decides the fight in who wins.

I should be heading to Watkins Glen again this year. It's a bit of a haul to go to any of the others, especially the other endurance events. Not that WGI ever disappoints in person. Let's just hope the same car doesn't win the whole first half of the season again. :)

Now that more then one team AND make is actually making the effort, that shouldn't be the case.

The network broadcasting it for a start (not sure if you get access to the IMSA stream in Canada). ;)

Yes we do, even for the Mosport round. You poor boys to the south are really getting screwed on that deal.

We'll see about GTLM, and even DPi/P2. With the new BMW being introduced it could be a bit of an issue, and the same can be said if an Aston shows up. DPi has that to worry about too on the upgraded P2, DPi Mazda and DPi Acura. Overall it should be tons of fun to watch, but that could in the end be what decides the fight in who wins.

Fair enough on GTE, I wouldn't count too hard on the BMW doing fantastically though. The first year of the GT it just kept breaking down. Aston is a real question mark, there hasn't been a GTE aston in IMSA for years and the same can be said about it as the BMW. Now of course the engine is up front and has presumably lots of space to live and breathe unlike the Ford, but I am expecting gremlins for BMW no matter how prepared they say they are.

On prototype even if only the upgraded cars and super teams are doing well that leaves 2 Joest, 2 Penske, likely 2 Nissans if all Ligiers were upgraded plus the plain jane ones which I think there are 3 of. Then you can't count out the 5 car and the 10 will be tough to deal with too still even though they're sans Ricky. Maybe I'm too optimistic but it just feels like an absolute barn burner.

Wiz
I spend $40/year for a VPN just to watch the IMSA streams with RLM commentary, commercial free. Worth every penny.

I've thought about doing that, I have no clue where to even start with that type of thing though (I also need to finally cave and buy a computer that's not on the verge of death). :lol:

Now that more then one team AND make is actually making the effort, that shouldn't be the case.

It was kind of embarrassing how unprepared everyone except WTR seemed at the beginning of last year. ESM/Nissan is understandable considering how late they started, Mazda seemingly spent all their time making the car look good and AE was not as prepared as WTR. In the global spec you had SoD that probably could have put up more of a fight had they not been stuck with the Riley and the other teams had to adapt to modern cars with pro-am lineups.

It was kind of embarrassing how unprepared everyone except WTR seemed at the beginning of last year. ESM/Nissan is understandable considering how late they started, Mazda seemingly spent all their time making the car look good and AE was not as prepared as WTR. In the global spec you had SoD that probably could have put up more of a fight had they not been stuck with the Riley and the other teams had to adapt to modern cars with pro-am lineups.

Yep. So many made it seem like Cadillac was cheating or something when it was WTR doing the winning and it was Cadillac that was the most serious (While AXR were way off despite having the exact same car). Of course it was gonna be a once-sided fight when only one team and manufacterer was the most prepared (Similar to another series where people bitch and moaned about "Unfair Advantage" that was gained for the exact same reason). Now with names like Penske and Joest in the mix (and now two Banana boats to make an even split), now we'll get an actual championship fight.

Yes we do, even for the Mosport round. You poor boys to the south are really getting screwed on that deal.

Fair enough on GTE, I wouldn't count too hard on the BMW doing fantastically though. The first year of the GT it just kept breaking down. Aston is a real question mark, there hasn't been a GTE aston in IMSA for years and the same can be said about it as the BMW. Now of course the engine is up front and has presumably lots of space to live and breathe unlike the Ford, but I am expecting gremlins for BMW no matter how prepared they say they are.

On prototype even if only the upgraded cars and super teams are doing well that leaves 2 Joest, 2 Penske, likely 2 Nissans if all Ligiers were upgraded plus the plain jane ones which I think there are 3 of. Then you can't count out the 5 car and the 10 will be tough to deal with too still even though they're sans Ricky. Maybe I'm too optimistic but it just feels like an absolute barn burner.

Highly unlikely Aston shows up for anything in IMSA :( unless its Paul Dalla Lana's GT3/GTD effort.

BMW has always made strong (at times illegal) cars in GTE/GT2 racing, the outgoing car as I recall was surprisingly strong in its first Daytona 24 and then as the race went out fell off toward the end. With many complaining about the boost it and the GT had after the roar and practice not being set lower. Aston was last seen in 2015 that's hardly long ago, and still could see a one off to see where their car sits among the rest before WEC starts up again. I wouldn't expect as many gremlins or anything that cant iron out before the race weekend. This is a group that actually has been in sports cars for some time compared to a group you're using as an example who hadn't be in the capacity of GTE/GTLM and had some learning to go through.

My point wasn't to say the race is going to be bad, I think you misunderstood my initial post. I said I think it will be great still, but I also make note that with the various changes as far as cars coming and updating go, it will be a balancing act again for the organizers to set the tone. Which may prove difficult and not as easy as some here like to think. I'm trying to keep it realistic while still acknowledging that a great presence and show will be given nonetheless.

The Riley is being used by BAR1, with Tomy Drissi, Don Yount, and for the testing, Gustavo Yacaman. Visit Florida isn't at the test, but is rumored to be reuniting with GM and join the Cadillacs.

https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/...s/december_test_iwsc_pre-event_entry_list.pdf
Ah okay, that explains the number and sponsor then. Thanks for the clarification. 👍

Taking a look at that list, it's interesting to see Ferrari and Corvette not present at the test. Well more so Corvette than Ferrari. I suppose there's not much to be gained for them.

No problem:tup:

Well Ferrari is testing Evo parts for homoligation, but for the Corvette guys being 2-time champs with the 2016-spec C7.R probably feel either not show improvements early, or show their hand at the Roar:lol:

Only cars with new aero specs or updated cars are there. From what I understand this is an event where teams were invited to go.

Young whipper snapper 19 year-old named Ernie Francis Jr. it testing w/ Chip Ganassi Racing

Last edited:
Back