2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I don't know about anyone else but the penalty system is way too sensitive and nonsense lately. I got 8 secs of penalties for inconsequential contact and minding my own business on lap 1.

A car went off track, doesn't make a safe re-entry (of course) then aims and hits my door. I'm given the penalty. A car in front swerved back on track off the astroturf at Renault, lightly tapped my side when I went by, another penalty. What kind of ridiculous algorithm is that, lol. I finished 13th (103p) in the RCZ going 3M/5S/5S despite dumb penalties and starting 20th although fell to SR B.

I don't know about anyone else but the penalty system is way too sensitive and nonsense lately. I got 8 secs of penalties for inconsequential contact and minding my own business on lap 1.

A car went off track, doesn't make a safe re-entry (of course) then aims and hits my door. I'm given the penalty. A car in front swerved back on track off the astroturf at Renault, lightly tapped my side when I went by, another penalty. What kind of ridiculous algorithm is that, lol. I finished 13th (103p) in the RCZ going 3M/5S/5S despite dumb penalties and starting 20th although fell to SR B.
YEAH the penalties have been ridiculous and totally inconsistent. I punted a guy off, he braked too early and swerved, and didn't get one. On the other hand I've had 3 secs cos someone taps my rear and several other daft ones.

Just got a track limit penalty on quali, end of lap so no quali....it's so stupid!!!!

Last edited:
DOUBLE POST! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:

Next race choices
Ep6cKE0U0AEtOi2

Downhill top speed before it drops:

C7: 413km/h
F40: 409km/h
Enzo: 411km/h
GT: 412km/h
Diablo: 412km/h
300ZXTT: 412km/h
Supra: 413km/h

I take it the next race isn't Tsukuba

I fully expect someone to spin and not ghost from the left curb there.

I was wrong. It was the hairpin at T5. Two wide in front, outside gets spun right into me. Thankfully only a 1 second penalty.

Qualified 4th. But the Mazda just didn't have the grunt to fully challenge. Add a few who neared resets in their races, and being held up be a few led to a 6th. Seemed a lot longer of a race than 13 laps, being I moved around from 3rd all the way to 9th during the race.

Nice to see GTP mate @mobilmasher,

Last edited:
I was hoping to do better than I did. With 4 on the door I Q'd 11th. Finished 12th. Got held up bad by a laggy competitor for 3 laps till he touched the grass and went wide allowing me to get by. There were a lot of red S after the race. At least HaydenFan69 had a top 10 finish.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand, I did better than I thought I would and on the other hand, I probably shouldn't have finished as high as I did.

I ended up running the 'Vette, cuz why not? It was the most consistent car for me and I didn't really have the time to see if I could get my pace up in one of the METAs. I also didn't get much practice in today as there turned out to be more errands that I needed to run than I thought I would have. And what practice I got in wasn't good - I had a hard time getting much more than 1 sec closer to my FP time from yesterday. Surprisingly, I qualied P8.

Then it got weird.

For starters, I forget to change my tires to RM and don't even realize it until I get a pretty good jump off the line. A few people in front of me (including pole) get a horrible launch. By the time we get to T1, I've moved up to P4 all the way on in the inside. Things are so congested I can't see any brake markers or even the entry to T1. I take my best guess and overshoot my braking point pretty badly. I turn hard trying to miss everyone going into the corner but catch P1's front quarter and take him into the run off area with me. I knew from my practice races that it's better to drive the runoff and rejoin after T2. I rejoin cleanly and end up in P1. The guy I hit, however, tries to swerve back on and immediately rejoin causing another collision, sending himself back off track but this time with a penalty.

I somehow spend most of the rest of the race in P1. I get overtaken on L5 but retake the lead when he pits on L6. I stay in P1 until my second pit on L10. I come back out in third behind two guys running a one-stop. Even though they have older mediums than me, I can't make up the 5 sec gap on them. I actually lose two places to a couple of guys finishing up on softs on the straight of the final lap. I end up finishing P5 which is disappointing in some ways given that I led for most of the race but I also know that I made a lot of mistakes throughout the race and really had no business leading the race at all.

Honestly, I probably should have gotten a penalty for the incident at the T1 to start the race. Yes, I've watched enough racing to know that IRL stewards probably wouldn't have called a penalty for the incident off a standing start but still, the incident was my fault. Granted, the guy I took off track with me should have been more aware about re-entering safely and really caused his own demise with that but he never would have been in the runoff area without my help. So, here we are benefiting from the broken penalty system and it doesn't feel very good. But at the same time, there's nothing I can do about it anymore than I can when it screws me over....

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201223174116.jpg

I was hoping to do better than I did. With 4 on the door I Q'd 11th. Finished 12th. Got held up bad by a laggy competitor for 3 laps till he touched the grass and went wide allowing me to get by. There were a lot of red S after the race. At least HaydenFan69 had a top 10 finish.

Where you high up enough to see the guy who decided to plow through the pack at the end of the backstretch? I picked up like 4 spots from everyone scattering.

Last edited:
2020/21 Exhibition Series - Season 2 - Round 5
Nations Cup
Race #5 - Group 3 Pick'em
Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya Grand Prix Layout

Short summary, too irritated to write a nicer one. Had a great lobby, or so I thought.... was looking forward to racing @afc5150 @Geauxgreddy @Kermit_2142 ...unfortunately some other drivers kept it from being fun at all.

After grinding like hell to recover from the Bathurst Nightmare in SF cars, where I was reset thanks to the ridiculous penalty system that doesn't work... all the way from 15k/26SR to 33k A/S without missing an FIA event and in the same slot range as I was before, had a good night of racing ruined by idiots that don't know the difference between a hot lap/qualifying session, or are too macho to put the TCS on for the first lap.

Got a great start after qualifying a terrible 15th, all the way up to 11th by T3... only to have some guy tank slap it and cause a chain reaction that resulted in nearly every one around him getting a penalty while he went on scot-free. 4 sec penalty erased the awesome clean start I got and set me back even further than where I started.

Lap 2, another guy bins it at the start of the last complex, careens across the whole track from the gravel on the left, and collects me until I'm last.

RACE RUINED again.

Then some other idiot in a Green Lexus decides to slow down to hold me up after my first pit stop, negating any chance I have of catching the pack again.

SO SICK OF THE MORONS RUINING THIS GAME!

It would actually be a fantastic event, this track requires smart racing and tire saving and rewards discipline. I guess there just isn't enough of it amongst A/S racers... gonna have to grind a favorable Daily Race until I can race against 40k+ racers... it's just stupid what people do at this level.

Lost 900 DR, wasted two hours away from my family instead of having fun, and earned throwaway FIA points that won't be counted. Nice work, IDIOTS of GT SPORT!!

(come to think of it... @Geauxgreddy that's two in a row and really bad luck for me... maybe you're bad luck! Nah... would love you race you... if ever anyone would let it happen.)

…also really proud of myself for handling that start perfectly when guy in front of me false started. Took major concentration but I nailed it, and then avoided him while consolidating the position I gained.

Last edited:
It must be true that not many players enter Sport Mode. Seem like a gtp race league, from the posts I'm reading.

I wish, fell into a lobby with few recognizable names and despite being a SR:S lobby, it was as if we played Wreckfest.

Only me and another player finished without penalties and no one had a blue marker on their SR (I’m not sure how I got SR down as I only remember seeing a couple of orange stickers, but I digress...).

Some of these races are becoming unplayable and a few times I’ll see a name or two and want out of the lobby instantly.

How is no action taken with repeated behaviour like this?!

NA slot 2. I was originally going to use the Lexus but I found the Subaru to be more stable, so I went with that. I was joined with @afc5150. Qualified 18th after not going through the final chicane exactly smooth, but the lap didn't feel great anyway. Whatever. Made sure I started the race with mediums. My pit strategy was 3M/5S/5S.

The race for me was surprisingly comfortable. The only obstacle I had to deal with was an Alfa I encountered after my first pit stop. I thought they were on mediums, as they were taking the corners slower than usual. But looking at the replay, they were on softs as well. Weird, but I managed to get around them at La Caixa. @afc5150 was briefly behind me on lap 8 before I had to go into the pits for another set of soft tires. I came out and started gaining on a Peugeot that went into the pits once we came around again, giving me 10th. From there, I had clean air and the pack behind me was a few seconds away and I gained 9th when another driver lost control after La Caixa.

full

Last edited:
North America Nations Slot 1

Door 11-ish, low A/S lobby, Q17 P13, 165 point lobby

@KosmoKazi pretty much summed it up in his post, my race wasn't much better after being stuck in traffic in qualy and not being able to set a hot lap. Got 2 SR downs in the race for a loss of 4 SR and a loss of around 500 DR. Felt I had pretty good pace in the Lexus and the strategy of 2M 6S 5S worked well from the back. 88 points and decided to go again.

North America Nations Slot 2

Door 19, low A/S lobby, Q5 P7, 185 point lobby

Nailed a good qualy lap this time by waiting to go out last and run my hot lap solo. Took it easy for the first few corners but still lost a position in the melee and emerged unscathed in 7th where I stayed for pretty much the whole race. Would probably have had 6th as the pit stops cycled through, but people ignore the pit exit line at Barcelona (and everywhere else) and someone basically crossed the whole track on pit exit to block me into T1 as I was coming through at full tilt boogy.

Oh well, a decent enough haul to not go again. Maybe get my season back on course a little.

Nice to see the GTP racers out in force tonight. At least I know I can race around those guys.

Got my 4 SR back and gained 700 DR.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201223210004.jpg

Last edited:
North America Nations Slot 1

Door 11-ish, low A/S lobby, Q17 P13, 165 point lobby

@KosmoKazi pretty much summed it up in his post, my race wasn't much better after being stuck in traffic in qualy and not being able to set a hot lap. Got 2 SR downs in the race for a loss of 4 SR and a loss of around 500 DR. Felt I had pretty good pace in the Lexus and the strategy of 2M 6S 5S worked well from the back. 88 points and decided to go again.

North America Nations Slot 2

Door 19, low A/S lobby, Q5 P7, 185 point lobby

Nailed a good qualy lap this time by waiting to go out last and run my hot lap solo. Took it easy for the first few corners but still lost a position in the melee and emerged unscathed in 7th where I stayed for pretty much the whole race. Would probably have had 6th as the pit stops cycled through, but people ignore the pit exit line at Barcelona (and everywhere else) and someone basically crossed the whole track on pit exit to block me into T1 as I was coming through at full tilt boogy.

Oh well, a decent enough haul to not go again. Maybe get my season back on course a little.

Nice to see the GTP racers out in force tonight. At least I know I can race around those guys.

Got my 4 SR back and gained 700 DR.

View attachment 980291
What happened in the first race? I saw you in the gravel ahead of the guy who ended up taking me out when he went in behind you. So bummed, that was actually a really nice combo and would have been a fun race. But I’m sticking with one and done and living with it this season. Not worth the aggravation when you get double whammies.

There's something about this track and me when it comes to GT3 races. No matter how poorly I qualify, I always seem to be able to pull it together for the race.

Got balked by the Ford GT on my first flyer (he cost me 4 seconds on my optimum time) as he was way too early on the brakes, way too late on the gas, hogged the race line and moved under brakes to prevent you from passing. This also saw me cop 2 seconds after a forced my way through at RACC so I could try to get a clean lap next time.

Have to feel sorry for the Porsche who was behind me after the chaos when we exited Repsol. In the last 3 races I've been grouped with him in Nations Cup, he's been punted off the track at Brands on the final lap. Caught up in someones dive bomb at Blue Moon Speedway and it seems like last night his connection dropped out 1 lap into the race.

I wasn’t sure what to expect this time. I was able to get on about an hour before starting. I couldn’t decide what to run. It seemed Lexus was popular, but I tried the M6 and although I love that cars steering and handling-not here...I was torn between Vette (known solid-my favorite) AMG (pointier than vette. faster one lap car but can be twitcher/stiffer) Lexus (try something new?)
I ended up choosing tried and true-Chevy. It was a good thing too because there were a couple teammates in the lobby, one of which I had a disagreement with earlier...
All in all I think the car choice worked out.
Got a good jump early, from there it was fairly benign. I pretty much stayed out on softs for 7 then swapped to med. I was actually nervous that everyone was no stopping or something and I was a loner on softs early. Nope. Kinda uneventful race, but I got a nice result out of it.
Good times. It was one of those lucky ones. I really think it was the car. I dunno how the Lexus drives anymore but the Chevy is hard to beat for a nice cruiser...Oh. My hairpin tactic came in handy-I did get an overtake there.
One and done with a nice top five.
Happy Holidays :)

Last edited:
For tonight's race, I went with the 2017 Lexus RC F. I had an okay qualifying, but I know it could have gone better. Qualified 7th.

Lap 1, 3 cars in front had a penalty, so I moved up to 4th. Now, at this point, with the fighting from 1st and 2nd place happening for a while, you'd think "hey, let's 1 stop instead."
Nope.
I suggested 2 stop in my guide video, so I'm putting the money where my mouth is... however you say that.... and went 2 stop. I also can't save tire, so 2 stop it is.

Long story short, it almost didn't work, but some serious 🤬 happened at the very end of the race, and I somehow took home 2nd place!!

IMG_20201223_195413.jpg

First time coming home with 300+ points, and I FINALLY hit 75k DR bux...

Christmas came early, and... That's it. I completed the game. I'm retiring from GTSport. :lol:

Last edited:
Morning! So Catalunya gr3, I did 3 races. First one bad Q 1.46.7xx put me 16th on the grid. I went 3/5/5... On last lap in the final chickane I was 5th chasing 650S who struggled with worn tires, I was very greedy and completely messed half-spinned and finished 8th:banghead: 117pts, not enough..
Second try, Q went even worse, I didnt set a lap time, so started 20th:lol: Again started on mediums, at some point of the race I was 7th, decided to go onestopper, it was lap 6, chickane just before pitting, again halfspinned... So everything I gained, just gone... I was mad at myself, finished 16th...
Third try, this time I was focused 1000%, Q 1.44.6xx(not my best but at least I set time), started 8th. Went 5/6/2, finished 6th for 127pts, not very good but also not very bad...
When I woke up today I checked leaderboard, Im 8th in Poland, and 375th in EMEA which is my personal record... Nice gift from Santa:) I wish everybody merry Christmas:)
Edit: was using Lancer

Last edited:
First event I’ve entered this season. Always enjoy Catalunya, especially in Gr.3 cars.

Wasn’t feeling the meta so tried out the M6 and the Supra. Both were off pace on optimal but if you drove right you could give the Lexus’ and WRX’s a good fight. Had an amazing battle with an RCZ while driving the Supra that culminated in failure on the last lap as I fought a bit too hard down the back straight and he had to drop a tire in the dirt which caused him to spin. Pulled over to let him get past and no hard feelings in the chat afterwards, but I felt like an idiot. Finished the night with a podium in 3rd split driving the BMW.

9D4164BC-22E9-4843-8000-C3A90CD9CDC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Have been looking forward to this event with Catalunya being one I always enjoy.

Practice race had gone really well where I had planned to use the Porsche and a 1 stop.

Warm up for Race day however didn’t go too well with me struggling in the final sector which led to me not feeling confident upon race entry. I was probably just trying a bit too hard.

Qualifying saw the field all go out together with no one spreading out. I decided to bail and restart from pit lane costing me slipstream and a 2nd lap but guaranteeing an empty track. I managed an ok lap further adding to my lack of confidence but luckily landed pole by 0.1s.

The race came and I went for tc1 and aimed to get to the inside asap. The corvette in p2 was a rocket off the line but I managed to cover off p3 and not get punted. It seemed chaos ensued midpack so thankful I qualified at the front.

My lap 1 was scruffy with the Porsche seeming to struggle to warm the tyres up, the corvette was pulling on us and the Lexus behind was looking to come by. I didn’t fight it down the straight hoping we could catch p1, my heart was pounding at this point and I just needed to relax a little.

The Lexus was struggling on lap 3 and I made a half ass attempt into the chicane after the back straight, they saw me coming and left me room knowing I’d been all over them for a lap. I instantly gapped them through the final sector and was now starting to settle into the race.

Now I was having to chase p2 who was going really well I decided the 1 stop would allow them too much clean track and I needed to be able to pressure them into a mistake so I followed them into the 2 stop. I had 2 seconds to make up coming out of the pits but I struggled again on cold tyres and the corvette was using its long legs again.

I really hooked up the 2nd lap and went fastest just as the Corvette made a few errors, just as I wanted the pressure was on and the gap coming down. By the 2nd stop I was within slip range.

Now both on mediums the race was on and I planned a simple overtake down the front straight. The Corvette had a scruffy final sector and it distracted me enough I caught the sausage and lost the slipstream. However the Corvette was not as fast on mediums as they were on softs so I went hell for broke to catch them. I really needed one more lap but finished in 2nd 0.4 behind the leader. A well deserved win for the Corvette, a stellar drive under pressure the entire race :cheers:.

That’s me for Xmas now, have a good one and see you on the other side :gtpflag:

My worst race ever!

After a stressful busy working days, come to home and after a too much faster dinner I cached a p9 after 1 lap of qualifying (the second lap was wasted after a not very fast driver hit my back before the first turn).

The start was quite bad, a Mercedes overtake me, I'm nervous and I want stay far to trouble at first turn, I pass the internal kerb and I spin! I don't know if because someone hit me or if the rear tires was cold and I'm 20th.

Ok, I can race and try to do something.

The other aren't very fast and I gain seconds, but it's not the day for the glory. the car in p15 is 3 second before me.
My handmade wheel stand close itself and I remain whit the wheel on my hands. I lost 3 or 4 second trying to fix the stand during the race...

I can do something, I change my 1st set of soft tire, and with new soft tire I can try to fight with in the p17 driver. I overtake he on the fist turn after the stating point, I can brake later than him, It's a clean overtake. I'm not really fast, at turn 10 (la caixa) I can brake safely at the middle of 150 and 100, my tires have 5 laps on the shouders...
The driver after me brakes later, I saw he in my back mirror... I'm over the kerb with right side. My car spin(onother time!)
I don't know if I was hitten I have some suspect but after the race I'm too much angry to save the replay!

Ok it's not my day, my handmade wheel stand close itself another time!

-1000 DP +11 nation point.

Shame on me, curtain closed

:D:cheers: Merry Christmas to faster drivers and a special Christmas bless to the slower also

p.s.: a short version of the post is obtained reading only the bold words

Everything I saw and read said I should go with a Lexus and 2 stop...
So after spending a couple of days practicing that I decided on race day to go Viper and 1 stop :lol:

It actually worked out really well (mostly) though was a lap too long.

Coming up to 3 laps to go I was in 2nd on Mediums that were a few laps old and had just got within a second of first place on worn softs that then pitted for Mediums.

As my tyres were ok at that point I thought I could probably squeeze 3 laps out of them ok but the fresh mediums lead to me being caught in the final sector of the last lap and I just had nothing left to defend with.

Everything in me told me to pit at the same time as the leader and go for softs and I'm sure it would have been an easy W. Normally tend to go on the more aggressive side of strategies and the one time I don't it back fires.

If you'd asked me before hand I'd have snapped your hand off for 2nd place but couldn't help come away feeling a bit gutted

Where you high up enough to see the guy who decided to plow through the pack at the end of the backstretch? I picked up like 4 spots from everyone scattering.

No I wasn't, I fell back to last at the turn 1, lap 1 fiasco, I was swamped and couldn't see and was overly cautious. I think I know who you're talking about, I was surprised to see where he finished.

Catalunya continues to be a tough one for me. Definitely broke my run of good fortune here too. My first attempt on the second slot was a bit of a mess.

I qualified P10 in the V12 Vantage with a 1:44.487 and survived the melee through turns 1 and 2, but then it started going a bit awry. I got my braking into turn 4 wrong and gave a Lexus a bit of a sidewards nudge which gave me an SR down. Not complaining about that, I fully admit I screwed up.

From there though, yikes. Either I was off my game or I had encountered someone who's driving style simply does not work with my own, as I then got caught out on braking zones and went on to give the same Lexus some small punts 3 more times throughout the race, gaining SR downs from each and a 1 second penalty from one of them. I tried braking earlier, but for whatever reason I was still getting it wrong and going up the back.

Frustration got the better of me as I started making mistakes later on, putting my foot down too early and going onto gravel. The chicane made a successful murder attempt on one of the later laps too, causing me to spin out. Thankfully I stayed on the run-off so it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been, but it still cost me quite dearly. I ended up finishing that one in P14 for 88 points, stealing a position from a Subaru carrying a track limits penalty over the chequered flag.

My SR dropped to 70 from that, so I went to do a daily in the hopes of recovering some. Did the Dragon Trail Gr.4, but due to a lack of practice I started near the back and then finished at the back trying to avoid collisions with some rather aggressive moves being made around me. When I discovered that a clean race only netted 6 SR but cost me a lot of DR, I ended up deciding to just try my luck and go for another attempt at Catalunya.

The second run went much better, although I didn't record it. Coming in with lower SR, I was expecting it to be a bit of a random DR range like the daily was. It somehow worked in my favour though, since everyone was A/A and it ended up being worth more than the first one despite my DR loss! I started P8 and had to dodge the BMW in P6 that turned their traction control off too soon from the line and went a bit sideways.

It ended up being a much less eventful race, finishing P6 for 143 points and restoring my SR all the way back up to 98. Can't complain about that at all. 👍

Last edited:
Practicing a little for the next round of the Nation's Cup and have a setup that got me 253 mph and 4:30.384 which is hopefully good enough for a top 500 (my goal this week).

I tried the Supra but the Lambo worked out better for me. The setup I have so far is directly behind the time trial. Can you tell on the back straight when I took a drink of my coffee?

Happy and safe holiday season for all ~ enjoy your racing!

What happened in the first race? I saw you in the gravel ahead of the guy who ended up taking me out when he went in behind you. So bummed, that was actually a really nice combo and would have been a fun race. But I’m sticking with one and done and living with it this season. Not worth the aggravation when you get double whammies.

It would appear that as I ran wide and into the dirt on my medium tires the car behind me followed me out there but not quite as far and maybe over compensated returning to the track and managed to hit you as you went by, causing you to spin. So yeah, ultimately my error. :ill:

It would appear that as I ran wide and into the dirt on my medium tires the car behind me followed me out there but not quite as far and maybe over compensated returning to the track and managed to hit you as you went by, causing you to spin. So yeah, ultimately my error. :ill:
That’s a tricky corner. Have to be so patient as it’s a longer and later apex than seems when you enter it. Just wish the other guy hadn’t careened straight across. People want to try and save it but the game never lets you so I think it’s always better to just shut it down and live to race the next corner when you go off. Oh well. See you out there next time!

Last night was horrendous for me. Only a few laps practice right before the race, so naturally I messed up qualy and started P11. Get pushed a little wide through T1 which was really was no big deal, but I got the SR down. Later I outbraked myself a little and barely grazed a guy, another SR down. Lap 11 I’m gaining on a guy on very worn tires and he pulls right in front of me in the braking zone while I was trying to let him defend the inside and outbrake him on the outside....nowhere to go, bam penalty and another SR down. It was actually a great, clean race up until that point imo. After 4-5 laps I started to get the hang of the track and the one-stop worked well for me. Went from 99 to 83 SR, so the next slot was in a low-SR lobby.

Then, this happened at the start of that race. A couple of these guys ruined my purple qualy lap by rejoining right in front of me so I didn’t set a time...then OMG 14 POSITIONS GAINED IMMEDIATELY!!! I dunno what the heck happened, everybody got a bad start and bunched up and lost momentum. I was so baffled I nearly forgot to brake. Slid by the NSX that turned in, tried to avoid him by cutting the grass but couldn’t. Then there was some kind of lag punt to the outside guy, probably my fault but at this point I just needed to get by into clean air. No SR down apparently, lol.

Other than the start it was a clean race until we started to lap the backmarkers who were crashing everywhere. Karma strikes and I get a 3s penalty for ignoring a yellow flag and a big SR down. Only SR down the entire race and I went from 83 to 81 SR now. So I’d miss the final Nations slot in a good lobby.

Decided to run a few Race B’s to gain SR. After two races I was back up to 91. Like an idiot I chose to run one more to get to 99. Then a Viper bottles it in front of me and I murdered his side panel only for a guy behind to bump me afterward for yet another SR down. Down to 60 now. SR-B. No luck at all last night, smh.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back