2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Alternate pit strategy (1h/6s/6s/7m) proved extremely successful for me yesterday. First round I finished 6th from 10th. Second round I tried taking mediums first and only made up two places. Third round (4th time slot) was a strong lobby. My quali time of 30.4 was only good enough for 15th place. So I went back to the alt strat that worked for me before and ended up finishing in 5th from 15th. Love this track.

upload_2021-1-3_13-23-18.png

Last edited:
Somewhat late but an FIA update

Only doing Manufacturers this season, and quite enjoying it (didn't fancy most of the Nations races so didn't bother)

Interlagos

I love Interlagos and felt the Ferrari could be really strong with the tyre wear, but the fuel was going to be a major issue. Had set out my plan to no stop from the off, knowing the first half of the race would be a grind. Entered alongside @watto79 and @Hasnain282 (only just remembered this - it was a week ago!) Put it 2nd on the grid with a 1:38.5 behind a Viper and got caught out by the cold hard tyres so much that the first lap was just about survival, luckily only dropped the one place but then a ridiculous punt on the Viper behind me meant I had to take evasive action at the start of L2 and lost the tow of the car ahead. A Ferrari heavily fuel saving without a tow isn't the quickest thing around Interlagos but an NSX behind had no intention of passing and with my tow helping him down the straights, he wasn't easy to pass himself, but once one got past a couple followed.

A Citroën made a move into T1, while I didn't defend it hard he bumped me wide on T3 and a Mustang that tried to nip into the gap got a (harsh) 3s penalty for pushing by. As I recovered from the contact the NSX from earlier also went past and I was down to 6th but was now at the point I could push a little.

Mustang pitted, I quickly closed on and passed the NSX, who again tried to stay in the tow but the quicker pace was too much for him and with a lap and a half to go had a gap of around 3s to the Citroën that had now closed up to the pole sitting Viper. Citroën got past, I went into the final lap 1.7s behind the Viper but being able to push I was able to close up throughout the lap and just beat him on the line - as he was trying to finish on fumes - for a decent 3rd place and 254 points.

Felt with a cleaner start I could have won, and maybe I should have pushed it for a lap or two early on then fuel save but the race worked out fine in the end

PS_App_20201226_030403.jpeg

Dragon Trail Gardens II

Hadn't driven it this way around, so it was very much a new track

Entered the final slot of the evening alongside @T_revisio in what I think was 2nd split. I'd had decent pace in practice (and had spied a few streams on YouTube!) so felt I could get a solid result.

Qualifying was ok in terms of time, 1:29.6 - about 0.3 off what I would have been pleased with but enough to start me well up the grid in 5th, V1_Sherpa taking pole with a 28.6(!) in the VW. In the opening stint his VW had been overtaken by a Supra, and while the Supra was clearing off the rest of the group down to me was building a gap to 6th. I inherited a place when a Spaniard in an Audi got on the dirt on the run to the hairpin and pitted as planned on L7 directly behind a Corvette.

Emerging pretty much as we were (the Audi pitted a lap earlier and undercut), a battle was developing between three cars for 3rd with a fourth car wanting to join in. Then on L12 we went into T1 almost two by two, I had a great run out of T2 though and while the Corvette went inside the Audi, I made it three abreast and moved up the inside into the four apex left hander to jump from 5th to 3rd. Quickly able to open up enough of a gap for breathing space I was able to run the ideal strat for me (7/7/5/1), Sherpa ahead binned it through the chicane promoting me to 2nd and I held pace with the Audi behind to come home 2nd for 271 points

All very pleasing!!

Last edited:
Guaranteeing a McLaren win @ the Ring. It’s not by any stretch a good car for the track, but my lack of desire to run the Mini VGT race, has me leaning on a week long focus to turn the Gr. 4 650 into a capable machine.

If that means I have to put in 1000+ miles around the place this week, in order to win a 2 lap race, it’ll happen.

Though, I fear by the end of this adventure, my rig will be destroyed as well as my hands by the bumps.

Last edited:
This week’s Nations Cup race will be interesting from a strategy perspective. The softs are only good for 6 laps for me and if you go flat out you’ll only get about 11 laps out of a tank. BUT, the pit stop is long and so a combo of fuel saving and one stopping may be preferable. I haven’t worked out the best way to go but I’m actually looking forward to the race.

Guaranteeing a McLaren win @ the Ring. It’s not by any stretch a good car for the track, but my lack of desire to run the Mini VGT race, has me leaning on a week long focus to turn the Gr. 4 650 into a capable machine.

If that means I have to put in 1000+ miles around the place this week, in order to win a 2 lap race, it’ll happen.

Though, I fear by the end of this adventure, my rig will be destroyed as well as my hands by the bumps.
My experience with the ring daily race last week showed that the Macca was extremely capable there. Very stable with good speed and low end grunt. It will suffer on the main straight though against the power FR’s.

The whole top 14 in the standings have league team specific PSN ids lol

Crazy that GT doesnt have a league team feature which can show an ID like GTA crews.

View attachment 982415
Team support would be so great. Especially if it included team hubs where things like decals, liveries, and replays could be shared directly. Or even support for team logos that get displayed on your car automatically like the FIA boards.
Would also be nice to not have that name change fee if you ever switch team affiliation.

Last edited:
My experience with the ring daily race last week showed that the Macca was extremely capable there. Very stable with good speed and low end grunt. It will suffer on the main straight though against the power FR’s.

Team support would be so great. Especially if it included team hubs where things like decals, liveries, and replays could be shared directly. Or even support for team logos that get displayed on your car automatically like the FIA boards.
Would also be nice to not have that name change fee if you ever switch team affiliation.
Or just a mechanism that pairs the team affiliations with the PSN so you don’t need to make it your PSN name, but the game lists it that way.

Last edited:
I am door 1 AGAIN! FMD!

And qualifying ruined by an idiot who thought stopping right in front of me on the last turn was a good idea. Will be starting from the back.

Going to run Hards for the first stint. Wish me luck running every one down from a long way back.

Edit: Finished 13th but could have been 10th without a ridiculous 3s penalty for being dive bombed at the hairpin. 66pts, will have to go again.

Yeah, I was in that group with you. Saw it happen and thought it was deliberate from my view point.

Interested to know what people think of the Manufacturer they have chosen (if a first time trying it)? Will you sign for them again? I've loved driving for Jag, especially the Gr.3. Seems to match my driving style perfectly. Will i sign for them again? Don't know. I usually like to try something new each time, but running out of options that i can be competitive in :lol:. Least enjoyable Manufacturer i've driven is BMW (with the M6). Really don't like the M4.

Don't think i'll be risking the Nurburgring so leaves just one more race for me.

Interested to know what people think of the Manufacturer they have chosen (if a first time trying it)? Will you sign for them again? I've loved driving for Jag, especially the Gr.3. Seems to match my driving style perfectly. Will i sign for them again? Don't know. I usually like to try something new each time, but running out of options that i can be competitive in :lol:. Least enjoyable Manufacturer i've driven is BMW (with the M6). Really don't like the M4.

Don't think i'll be risking the Nurburgring so leaves just one more race for me.

I've enjoyed Mazda, sure it has some weaknesses. But generally been competitive this season.

May sign with them again. Depends on what tracks come up in the next season.

Also not likely to do the next race, but hopefully give the last round a run.

EDIT: Also like that it wasn't the most common Manufacturer.

Last edited:
I switched from Mitsubishi to BMW at the conclusion of the 2020 season.

The gr.3 M6 is nicely balanced and I've found as easy to drive and the Lancer. And whilst I can't hassle the M4 as hard as I did the Lancer in gr.4 the extra power makes up for that.

If they have another exhibition season, I might try a different make however to get more knowledge.

OK I have 3, but haven't done all races in all.
US Dodge, surprising good everywhere for me, enjoying it would use again.
EU VW, really regret picking this one. Was a noob and some Youtuber said the Beetle was stable and easy. This is why they tell you to try before you buy.
Asia Mitsubishi (only done a couple) loving this and wish I had done this for my main account, Asia is so different to play in and sometimes ping is too high.

Trying to use area specific cars across accounts, so thinking maybe Ford as getting on well with both Mustangs, Jag as I like the Gr.4 one so the 3 must be good????, as for Asia no idea yet, but responses here might influence. I will change every time though as sticking with one might make it easier, but won't teach you as much.

I won’t be using Toyota again, that’s for sure. :lol:
Aww man, Toyota was my jam season before last. That Supra had a wicked turbo kick though that had a knack for catching you out. That was also the last Manu I drove exclusively in cockpit view before switching to bumper cam. Cockpit view in both cars was pretty good. If PD would let the GR 4 Supra come out to play in Manu, I’d put a ring on it for sure.

Second favorite has to be Hyundai. No muss, no fuss, no weirdness or surprises. Solid.

Least favorite has been Lamborghini and Mazda. The GR3 Huracan needs a good babysitter in certain corners to keep it from spinning. As I got deeper into my season with Mazda I just couldn’t get with the Gr4 Atenza.

I’m with Lexus this season and I have to say, not bad at all...

Aww man, Toyota was my jam season before last. That Supra had a wicked turbo kick though that had a knack for catching you out. That was also the last Manu I drove exclusively in cockpit view before switching to bumper cam. Cockpit view in both cars was pretty good. If PD would let the GR 4 Supra come out to play in Manu, I’d put a ring on it for sure.

Second favorite has to be Hyundai. No muss, no fuss, no weirdness or surprises. Solid.

Least favorite has been Lamborghini and Mazda. The GR3 Huracan needs a good babysitter in certain corners to keep it from spinning. As I got deeper into my season with Mazda I just couldn’t get with the Gr4 Atenza.

I’m with Lexus this season and I have to say, not bad at all...
I really wanted to drive Toyota but just couldn't handle the Supra. I kept persisting in testing it to get the hang of it but had to give up :lol:

i stayed with Peugeot this time (so not a first timer but hope you want mind my opinion anyway) and liked both Gr 3 and Gr 4.
The group 4 has fantastic handling and good accelaratoin, but eats tyres and has a relatively low topspeed. the GR3 is pretty average at pretty much everything, no real weakpoints, but not really strong points either. The Peugeot Gr4 has got to be one of the most ugly cars in the game though,...

for next season concidering Hyundai or Ford or staying with Peugeot, depends a bit if there is a BoP update..

i stayed with Peugeot this time (so not a first timer but hope you want mind my opinion anyway) and liked both Gr 3 and Gr 4.
The group 4 has fantastic handling and good accelaratoin, but eats tyres and has a relatively low topspeed. the GR3 is pretty average at pretty much everything, no real weakpoints, but not really strong points either. The Peugeot Gr4 has got to be one of the most ugly cars in the game though,...

for next season concidering Hyundai or Ford or staying with Peugeot, depends a bit if there is a BoP update..
I quite enjoyed Peugeot. Gr.3 car is decent but like you say, not a top performer anywhere. The Gr.4 is where i picked up big points but you're limited to certain tracks cos of the FF. Not the best looking car but the VW VGT takes my award for ugliest. Awful with no roof! Roll it and you're getting decapitated :lol:

Unpopular opinion: Love the rear of the Hyundai GR.3. Sexy!!

Genui

Having only returned to the game in the last four months or so ago, I picked BMW over Aston for the end of last season, carried that forward for this.

M3 11 – really started to get a feeling for online racing in this car. Was surprised just how much I could get away with in this car compared to others I tried.

M4 – Didn’t really use it much last season, but this season really enjoy the slightly slower speed and concentration on technique.

M6 – Seems like a good improvement on the old GR3 BMW. Nice and balanced, it’s a good competitor, which I feel more and more comfortable with. A big improvement in the cockpit view over the old model as well.

This is my 3rd season. 1st I was Mercedes, 2nd Porsche, now Aston. I like the Vantages, they have been competitive in almost every round. I probably will go with them again.

I quite enjoyed Peugeot. Gr.3 car is decent but like you say, not a top performer anywhere. The Gr.4 is where i picked up big points but you're limited to certain tracks cos of the FF. Not the best looking car but the VW VGT takes my award for ugliest. Awful with no roof! Roll it and you're getting decapitated :lol:

Unpopular opinion: Love the rear of the Hyundai GR.3. Sexy!!

Agree with all you said, Hate how the VW VGT and also the Beetle look so much that I will not sign for them no matter how good they might be.
and fully agree on the Hyundai, it looks the part and love the way it sounds too.
We are just so trained overhere that Hyundais (and Kias) can not be any good or indeed be good looking...

upload_2021-1-4_14-58-39.png

just look at that.....

I've been happy with Chevy, although if I was forced to choose I'd re-sign with Audi again. Definitely the favorite manufacturer I've signed with so far, even if it is woefully underpowered on some tracks. (And the TT suffers from the dreaded FF tire wear syndrome.)

Last edited:
Agree with all you said, Hate how the VW VGT and also the Beetle look so much that I will not sign for them no matter how good they might be.
and fully agree on the Hyundai, it looks the part and love the way it sounds too.
We are just so trained overhere that Hyundais (and Kias) can not be any good or indeed be good looking...

View attachment 982659

just look at that.....
oooh yes a beauty! :drool:

Yeah Hyundais are what your grandad drives :lol:

Hello,
So I have just started racing and competed in round 6 of the manufacturers race on Saturday just gone.

I raced in the first couple and got 9th and 10th place, I think I got 8 points each time.

Then raced again later that day and crossed the line in what I believe was 4th place, but then got adjusted to 5th place, I had no penalties during race either, why would this change. Only thing I can think of is I didn't pit ( didn't see this was a requirement). But I did not pit in the earlier races. Any ideas?? Also after coming 5th I got four points, earlier when I came 10th I got 8 points??

As s I say , little confused.

Stevebrooks1 is my driver's name .

Thanks

The M4 is a pig but it’s my pig. :sly:

I really wanted to drive Toyota but just couldn't handle the Supra. I kept persisting in testing it to get the hang of it but had to give up :lol:

I'm driving Toyota in this season. my GR3 is the F1-VG that have not high top speed but have very good brakes and no problems with turbo kick.
The gr4 gt86 have the same characteristics, slow but with good traction before and after the turns (the interlagos stage was pretty good with gt86 and the same at willow springs.

This is my first manufacturer series, and I think that I'll change my cars at the next, but only because for me is boring drive the same cars. I drove Asian cars, the next time I will drive American car (in my region EMEA aren't very popular). I don't know how but at the moment the "corvette" have much than 1 chance.
how do you think? Are the corvette goods?

p.s.: a next series is coming (when)? Or is not sure?

Last edited:
Hello,
So I have just started racing and competed in round 6 of the manufacturers race on Saturday just gone.

I raced in the first couple and got 9th and 10th place, I think I got 8 points each time.

Then raced again later that day and crossed the line in what I believe was 4th place, but then got adjusted to 5th place, I had no penalties during race either, why would this change. Only thing I can think of is I didn't pit ( didn't see this was a requirement). But I did not pit in the earlier races. Any ideas?? Also after coming 5th I got four points, earlier when I came 10th I got 8 points??

As s I say , little confused.

Stevebrooks1 is my driver's name .

Thanks
Post-race penalty for not using all sets of mandatory tyres.

As for the points thing, the amount of points available is directly derived from the Driver Rating score of all the players in the lobby. Race with players with a lower score and you'll get fewer points even if you finish higher.

Last edited:
oooh yes a beauty! :drool:

Yeah Hyundais are what your grandad drives :lol:

I Will never be a grandad, but if i would be a grandad I would like to drive a Hyundai like this...the I30N.

upload_2021-1-4_15-45-7.png

Post-race penalty for not using all sets of mandatory tyres.

As for the points thing, the amount of points available is directly derived from the Driver Rating score of all the players in the lobby. Race with players with a lower score and you'll get fewer points even if you finish higher.

but the penalty for not using the mandatory tyre is 60 seconds i believe, so if that was the reason i doubt he would go from fourth to fifth. More likely he would end up in the back of the field then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back