2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

It's just very annoying when you have somebody at the apex of a turn burning fuel in 1st gear , and you're coming full speed. It happen too much time.
    Depending of the track , like tokyo yesterday , there is no place to go to avoid a collision.

GT5Power, Pigems, theschledy and 3 others like this.
  2. theschledy

theschledy

Going by current trends, the December update will probably come December 26th. Just basing that on the current release trends.

If true, that will leave one race remaining on the schedule. And it might not even be a Gr.4 race. Pretty far from the middle of the season.

If they can't release a car during an Exhibition season, when can they? We've never gone more than 2 weeks without some sort of FIA season happening. So any car that gets released will be "in the middle" of a season.

And the pre-season for FIA started May this year. Plenty of time to get practicing in before races actually matter.

3. 05XR8

05XR8

The Supra arrives December 16. The last Manu FIA Gr.4 race, is at Tsukuba on December 21. https://www.gran-turismo.com/au/gtsport/sportmode/championship/2019/schedule

Regardless of testing.
    Again, anyone who hasn't selected Toyota(me included) til then, will most likely, be able to use it at this race.

4. TeddyWestside

TeddyWestside

Ah, now I understand! You're definition of fuel burning was different from mine. To me, it meant driving round at a normal pace to use up fuel, coming in for fresh tyres (but no more fuel) and therefore returning to the track with increased grip but lower weight. I only race with AT, so driving round in first gear didn't occur to me and I would agree that is unfair on others trying to do a fast lap.

Allowing manual pre-selection of fuel level would negate the need for 1st gear fuel burning.

Leggacy and praiano63 like this.
  5. theschledy

theschledy

Ok, one race.

Beyond that I don't really understand what you're saying. Yes, if you haven't picked a manufacturer yet, you most likely will be able to pick the Supra for round 8. What I've been trying to understand is who is that unfair to, especially given that this is an Exhibition season, but I give up.

6. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

Fuel burning isn't tactical, it's just tedious. There are a lot of easy fixes PD could make to improve the game, and setting fuel load before qualifying is one

ddm, vvise, Sander 001 and 3 others like this.
  7. stpatty

stpatty

Just finished a practice race for Manu on Saturday. We're back to combos that just manage to be completely unmanageable with a DS4. The GT-R might as well be on casters here.

Smiddy_11 and Leggacy like this.
  8. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

I'm personally a little disappointed with this system although we've no idea what else is happening in the scenes or whether it's even working correctly at the moment as it's a new introduction so we can wait and see. However if it remains as e.g. T16 being 120% then only the OP cars will do T16, others will tank (I would also tank next year if this was the system used because after this year when you're worrying about 2 other splits and whether they out score you because you're in top split and you may have a better race or w/e but get beaten by lightning then it's hard). The fact now we're talking 7/8/9 splits equalling a top split is kinda crazy to me. I was in split 2 last night, not through tanking I just enjoyed some sport mode the other week and it dropped a little and the points equalled P3 in top split and in no way should it have done.

Anyway if anyone wants to see what my version of the system would be I've attached it (I made this in June/July). Essentially change anything in Yellow to what you want and vary it accordingly. The DRs shown are just examples with the logic being the lower the DR you have the closer splits around you are in terms of average DR so the overlap should be close.

Anyway just my opinion, lets see what happens in the coming months as it is an exhibition season after all :)! I can't wait for Monaco mind, should be good fun!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. breeminator

breeminator

Just to be clear, though, that happens to a lesser extent with the new system than it did before. So if the winner of 9th split now is beating x people in top split for points, then with the previous system it might been 11th split where the winner was beating those same x people.

I don't know if it's the new points system, or whether a lot more people did the first race compared to last season, but in manufacturers it's looking a LOT harder to be competitive in the tables at my current 38k DR than it was last season. Some of it surely is down to the new points system, as every race in every split above my level is now seeing more people scoring above the winner's points at my level.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    sundaydriving likes this.
  10. 05XR8

05XR8

Yes. Give up.

theschledy likes this.
  11. banckzy

banckzy

I'm missing you on youtube :(

12. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

Looks to me that they need to stretch the difference between the splits a little. Looks like 4th in the higher split = 1st in the split below. Maybe stretch it to around 6th so it would help stop people DR tanking?

13. banckzy

banckzy

I'm guessing this is another no stopper then?

14. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

The Manu on Saturday at Nurburgring GP is either a 1 or 2 stop tbh, depending on how your tyres wear.

In a test in the Lambo I was struggling by lap 6, so I might actually 2 stop just to keep the car on the black stuff. I would imagine most people will 1 stop as you will have to do a little bit of fuel saving as well in most cars.

banckzy, SmokeyMR2 and JEverettL like this.
  15. pantherjag

pantherjag

A look at strategy for round 2 of nations.

Hybrid tyres, chicane of death and a close run thing between 1 stop and 2 stops.

Interesting race in store

Landy1264, Lost Sheltie and banckzy like this.
  16. SmokeyMR2

SmokeyMR2

That points system you created looks so much better. Proper points awarded even for lower places in higher splits but still good separation between splits. I'm assuming this was the spreadsheet you sent to Kaz & PD yet they come up with this crazy new points system. Good luck in Monaco bud, go get that podium :cheers:

17. stpatty

stpatty

I'd imagine it'll be an easy one stop for most cars, with a two stop necessary if you drive something like the GT-R or the Huracan.

Unless the lobby I was in last night had the wrong settings it won't be a fuel saving race. The GT-R is bad for fuel and I had at least 2 extra laps' worth left at the end.

Lost Sheltie, theschledy and Leggacy like this.
  18. HERE4BEER3

HERE4BEER3

We should bombard PD with Tidge's point system. Like seriously it's not that complicated. If you want to qualify for a live event get your DR as close to the limit as possible. I imagine that's what people do now anyways(aside from tankers) and since very few people are close to 75K it obviously is not easy to do. The point system as it is now works for the most part as far as getting people to live events, but aside from that it serves no purpose. Driver are not ranked properly at all. In NA I am aware of a few drivers that are always in top split but always finish near the bottom and in the overall standings wind up at like P500 when in fact they are probably the 20th best driver in the region.

The is no reason someone like myself who is 35K DR should be outscoring anyone in the top split, top several splits actually. Especially when you consider anytime I've watched a stream of top split, my qualifying time is usually several 10ths(when I nail it) even seconds slower(when I bottle it) than P20. The best I've ever seen my qualifying time rank in a top split lobby was I think P17. There is no reason I should be getting points equal to P10 for winning my lobby.

Now, we'll never get rid of tanking. There will always be people who will tank as soon as it gets challenging because some people would rather win than challenge themselves to do better, that's just a fact of life. But at least Tidge's system will properly rank people in the standings. It rewards people with higher DR, thus encouraging drivers to raise their DR, which may help get more people doing Daily races.

SmokeyMR2, LeGeNd-1 and Tidgney like this.
  19. koshmare

koshmare

Hot laps for Round 2

Jeeves_ACBC and JEverettL like this.
  20. BrunusCL82

BrunusCL82

Have you considered the possibility of Red Rock Valley being in Colorado Springs?

21. die996

die996

I'm sure it's supposed to be either in Colorado or Utah but it's the complete opposite of the kind of track Polyphony is trying to add to GTSport. Meanwhile, some "mountain-road-but-it's-a-track" experiment could work as they've experimented with it several times and would make for nice-looking shots in official events.

BrunusCL82 likes this.
  22. breeminator

breeminator

The thing is, it's so easy to do what people are asking for, that I don't believe it's incompetence on the part of PD that they haven't done it, I think it's completely intentional. Last place is getting around 20% of 1st place in each race. The higher that percentage is, the more favourable it becomes towards players in higher splits. It varies depending on the DRs in the splits, but I've just knocked up a quick spreadsheet to let me vary that percentage, and to get the crossover to 6th place in this example needs it to increase to 79%:

gts fia points 79 vs 20.jpg

Now, this is all so simple that I don't believe PD don't understand this, so I think that they aren't looking at it as a maths problem, as it's not a remotely difficult maths problem. I think they are seeing it as a problem in psychology, i.e. what system produces the most player engagement. With the 79% system above, you'd need to win a race at about 58k DR to match the points of last place in top split. This would massively reduce the number of people who can score competitive points. It might be fair, but I've seen in other sports that fair isn't always best for the sport, many people like an element of lottery so that people who aren't as good can do well if things go their way on a particular day.

NosOsH and Lost Sheltie like this.
  23. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

I can see where you're coming from but with the closeness of points as it is it makes it worse I think? Unless I'm looking at it the wrong way, but irrespective I honestly believe it shouldn't be the case.

I'll still be posting on Youtube it's just been a busy time I only got back from Tokyo 2 weeks ago and it's already Monaco :p! Be a bit more regular soon :). Stream wise they will be on twitch though and honestly it's so much better to stream on :D!

Aww cheers mate! It is indeed :).

24. theschledy

theschledy

I wish they made podiums more of an occasion in FIA races. It makes the races feel a little unrewarding. I know there's a special clip after the race for the winner, but outside of that it's just music and some random points getting thrown at you.

Aside from the points, I don't have any major beefs with the FIAs, but I feel like there's a lot of little annoying things about it.

banckzy likes this.
  25. breeminator

breeminator

The closeness of points doesn't make any difference, the leaderboard would put everyone in the same order no matter what overall scaling is applied. I don't know why they've reduced the points to approximately 1/10th of what they were, but it makes no difference at all to the leaderboard, other than there being more tied places, but that will reduce as the season progresses.

SmokeyMR2 and Tidgney like this.
  26. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

After some testing I just did in a room, it appears a 1 stopper for the Lexus is in order. Looking at Lap 10 for that magic stop as not only does the car feel consistently solid and competitive for the first 5 laps (and gradually falling off afterwards), but having only half of the fuel on fresh tires makes the car a lot faster on that shorter second stint.

Lost Sheltie likes this.
  27. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

Ahh apologies yes you're right my bad I was looking at it the wrong way. However the tied points thing is more of a factor now than before, I mean we've had some tied points each season so far and now there's less of a difference between scores.

SmokeyMR2 and breeminator like this.
  28. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Did a practice room for Nations (With someone named "Nik_Makozi". Good kid, he's got potential). A 1 stopper is looking likely with the Aston, which is a shocker as I was expecting it to not be drivable after 6 laps after my past experience where the fronts were gone in about that time.

SmokeyMR2 likes this.
  29. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Damn I never even thought of looking at it that way. Basically it's a carrot & stick situation. With current points system (and the previous one) lower split players are given inflated points compared to their skill level, so it makes it seem like they're juuuust on the cusp of making it to the finals, thus they are more likely to keep playing. Whereas with Tidgney's system unless you're in top split you can pretty much give up on making the finals (as it should be).

If you look at other design choices in the game (e.g. 20 million cars vs poor payouts, drip feeding MiEx items) it's not beyond impossible that long term player engagement is one of the main factors behind these decisions. I mean at the end of the day only PD knows all the numbers, but occam's razor the simpest explanation is probably the correct one.

watto79 and breeminator like this.
  30. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

After doing some testing with the Jaguar F-Type GR.4, I seem to be getting Identical results. Really shocked at how both of these cars are no longer just boats with the front tires after 6 laps, they actually still seem reasonably drivable despite the increasing lack of grip. Really says something when I can throw them through the chicane with no braking all 15 laps and if done right, at worst manage a tiny rub of the guard rail.

Kinda leaves me wondering which to choose now for the race itself.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019