2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

Oceania fias starting now! Double dipping in the ferrari.

Landy1264, JEverettL and Dezcom like this.
  2. Smiddy_11

Smiddy_11

Great guide, just finished the first time slot and the 2 stopper worked a treat, quallified 4th, shocking start back to 8th. Was stuck in traffic the clean air was good, caught up to the pack in 2 1/2 laps. Ended up in 3rd in the end

3. banckzy

banckzy

Can somebody please help me...

in nations cup race tonight... I want to qualify with full mediums but when I start the race I want M/H.

after the 10min qualifier there is a brief warm up period before the race... during that warm up period... will I be able to change from medium to M/H? Or will I have to do qualy on M/H to be able to start the race with it??

4. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

You should be able to change to the appropriate tires you want before the race starts. You start the race with either what you started for Qualifying or with what tires you choose before the race.

banckzy likes this.
  5. banckzy

banckzy

thank you.

I did a practice lobby just now... qualified on the mediums.. I stupidly exited qualifying thinking I could just switch tyres to hybrid but I exited the entire race.

wanted to be sure that doesn’t happen in the actual lobby.

6. Smiddy_11

Smiddy_11

Yep, once quallifying is over change tyres in the driving options menu before the race starts

dlshearon and banckzy like this.
  7. darth_tails

darth_tails

So I have a quick question about tyres but if I use Medium's in qualifying and the change it to hard for the race does that meet the
    tyre requirements rule then so I can just do the pit stop strategy as normal?

8. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

You have to use the required tyres(s) during the race itself or you'll get a 20 second penalty.

9. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Was completely screwed by a slow car on lap 2 in the nation's at the end of the 2nd sector. Spent the rest of the race trying get back to where I qualified.

10. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Best laid plans and all that.

Was really looking forward to DT in the Jag, so naturally I've spent all day practicing in the McLaren and was getting around 27:30 for race times with a one stop strategy. Felt like I'd made a bad choice just before the start of the race but in we went anyway.

Ended up qualifying 10th after making mistake after mistake on my final run - could easily have nabbed pole. So being fairly far back I decide to start on hards and run long. Usual to-ing and fro-ing in the first lap and a half, I get up to about 7th, then smash into the barrier on the left at the bottom of the Esses and down to 18th with the two behind a long way back. The one stop strategy leaves the building, I pit at the end of L3 for mediums and the plan was to run as fast as possible for the rest of the race, making use of the clean air at the back.

Due to others having incidents the clean air never really materialised but it ended up eventful! Had a number of battles, a collision with a Finn in T1 who exited the pits and went straight onto the racing line and a great close fight the last couple of laps with a German in a Lexus who I managed to get the better of by hanging it around the outside of T1 going into the final lap.

The recovery drive ended up with me finishing 11th and despite having to fight through the field I managed to gain a little on the leaders so the pace was there. Race was won in 27:29, oh what might have been!

137pts, if I could run it again twice I'd definitely try to, but think I'll take these points with me to Spa

adokeeffe, SmokeyMR2 and watto79 like this.
  11. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

We're live once again with more FIA action! Manufacturers first and then we'll see what happens! I did 20 miles of driving yesterday and got EMEA rank 1 so maybe a win is on the cards tonight! We'll have to see!

SmokeyMR2, PirovacBoy and Landy1264 like this.
  12. stpatty

stpatty

7 people in my lobby. Good thing the point system got revamped.

Landy1264 likes this.
  13. watto79

watto79

Something I learned from the 2019 season is if a combo isn't working for you, don't force the issue as it only causes frustration. Just enjoy the race as best as you can without overdriving the car. For whatever reason I can't find the pace with the Gr.3 Hyundai at Nurburgring GP. The first sector alone costs me eight tenths against the top 10 times. The jury is out on Hyundai as I've not worked out it's strengths yet. So, lets just have fun and see what happens.

Qualified 17th 1.5 seconds off pole. First half of the race I'm doing all I can just to keep up. In the second stint though the race starts to come back to me. I think this is partly because I'm managing to just put in consistent laps but also everyone else starting to race more and slow themselves down. I pick up places and finish 12th. I've never been so happy with 12th before!

Highlight of the race was witnessing the below. Please pay attention people. This is what you are supposed to do if you miss your braking point and you're about to plough into the back of the car in front. I messaged him after the race just to say that I liked his sportsmanship. I wish more people had this attitude :tup:

20191116222048.jpg Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191116215153.jpg

Pigems, Dezcom, Master Weasel and 7 others like this.
  14. MattJones_e36

MattJones_e36

First FIA race ever, and i get alocated on South America Top Split againt HellzFire, Bonelli and Bernal :nervous:

That said, i guess a podium on my debut is not a bad result at all :cheers: I'd upload the video, but i guess Hellzfire will do it soon. Ironically this might be my first and last FIA match with a pad, since a T150 Pro is on the way. Cheers everyone.

Pigems, Jeanr, Dezcom and 12 others like this.
  15. xxPinkyKissxx

xxPinkyKissxx

Decent very close racing. Feel drained with all that concentration for 17 laps! Keeping a sharp eye on those brake lights in front! :lol:

Qualified 9th, finished 7th. Could have been worse could have been better :tup:

1741F972-276E-41B9-9199-2A3992BAF1DB.jpeg

Pigems, banckzy, Dezcom and 4 others like this.
  16. Keith2324

Keith2324

This was the result in my first Manu race tonight!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Pigems, CurbHog, SmokeyMR2 and 2 others like this.
  17. HellzFire

HellzFire

Yes I will @MattJones_e36

Last couple of FIA races before flying to Monaco! They were good. Manufacturers I had good pace on my practices but unfortunately didnt hit my second hotlap for qualy right. At least it brought an amazing battle with Bernal.

For nations again did not hook my qualy lap up, but my race pace was really great. Used the Ftype here which was good if you saved your tyres, weird that more people didnt use it. Enjoyed that

Pigems, CurbHog, GT5Power and 2 others like this.
  18. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Tonight was absolute garbage. Nations I managed to choke away not once but twice in the damn chicane, Manufacturers was a screw job on lap 1 courtesy of a 4 second penalty (because somehow, me making the tiniest of contact with some guy dive bombing is worth being penalized for) and then I get barged the hell out of the way on the last lap (with me getting the SR down). I'm already considering giving this season the middle finger and quitting. All this practice I put it and it means absolutely nothing.

19. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

I was pretty pissed earlier also. I made a mistake lap one on Manu, contacting another player, and was pushe off on inside of turn 3 somehow. I dunno how my car did that from the inside.
    Next lap, smashed off by out of control car. To last twice in 2 laps!
    So obviously I entered again, got in the time out room of below 99...Qual I get .5 twice on consecutive laps, and end up third on the grid.
    Turn 1 myself and the second place qualifier got smashed. We had to go all the way back, and ended up catching the leader at the end, but he was just too far ahead.
    It can be very frustrating. My faith in humanity was restored by the nice second place driver.
    I guess for myself I have been lucky and haven’t had a lot of bad races...I am not used to it. I was mad as a hornet after the first race. These FIA are quite aggressive imo, and can really piss a person off at times. But without the drama, a good result would be no hum meaningless.

Pigems, Mistah_MCA and JEverettL like this.
  20. Master Weasel

Master Weasel Premium

Since I’ve tried an American and European manufacturer so far, I decided to go with an Asian one this season. Didn’t have a good first race with the Nissan GT-R. I qualified last and just had to make the best of the situation. To be honest, I wasn’t in the best mood to race. I can only race on Saturdays for the time being, so hopefully I will be in better shape for Round 4.

[​IMG]

21. GT5Power

GT5Power

Well, a month after scoring my maiden win in FIA with the Gr.4 @ Seaside II combo, I returned to the combo once again, this time for Nations, but still driving the McLaren 650S. Seaside in general is really about keeping it clean and taking advantage of the chicane of death claiming your opponents. I bottled qualifying and lined up 14th on the grid, however in the end I managed to finish 7th in the EMEA top split lobby and bag 240 points after a quiet race, with pace that clearly had no business being that far up. I'm quite happy with my result :D

22. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

I've never been a fan of either of the tracks from this weekend, so I didn't put much practice into them.

Nations actually went ok. Qualified in the top 10 after 10 mins practice in the Lexus, and then just tried to do the most important thing at Dragon Trail Seaside, and that is avoid killing yourself at the chicane. Managed to do this for most of the race but made one mistake that dropped me back into the clutches of a hard charging GT86 that must have been driven by a proper driver. Managed to hold him off for a few laps by basically stopping the car on the apex of every corner, but eventually he pulled a great move coming out of the death chicane with much more speed and managed to get his nose up the inside going in to the next corner so I backed off and let him past (I was quite happy that I didn't make a mistake and end up pounding him into the wall). With everyone else crashing out I managed to get 4th, so I just took the points and ran.

Manufacturers in the Gr.3 Lambo was always going to be a challenge as the car actively tries to kill you on every corner from lap 6 on. As such I tried a 2 stop that just didn't work for me as I got traffic after the 1st pit on lap 5 and that was that. I dislike the chicane used at the track (I hate just bouncing over kerbs like they are not there) and I hate the follow the leader effect that Nurburgring GP has. Think I had 1 attempt at overtaking in the whole race, and that was a failure. Anyway, started 9th(was surprised I was that close tbh), finished 12th so accepted it and moved on. Maybe I could have gotten a better result if I had practiced quali a bit more but just couldn't be bothered. Back to the Gr.4 car this week :)

Pigems, Dezcom, Groundfish and 4 others like this.
  23. KepleroGT

KepleroGT

Just your typical 7 player FIA split!

Pigems likes this.
  24. stpatty

stpatty

Great fun racing with you! I've never had such easy points.

Pigems and KepleroGT like this.
  25. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Well Sunday morning and practice is up for the next one. Spa, GR1, it would be extremely rude not to as it should be a strong combo for me. Yep, 10 laps in and barely breaking the 2 minute barrier, 4s off the early quickest times (quickest guy is regularly up there so a good barometer). Go and watch a replay... and realise that this dumbass here has been lapping on hard tyres :dunce:. Change the tyres, charge the battery...
    Screenshot_20191117-110245_Camera.jpg

Let's try not to bottle this one when the time comes! Though may have to splash out on a Peugeot

Pigems, Dezcom, KepleroGT and 2 others like this.
  26. Famine

Famine Administrator

In my two races last night I got:
    *5s penalties at Dragon Trail from a Ferrari losing control at the final chicane and spearing into me despite my being in the middle of the track giving him a wide berth (1s), a nob in an Aston Martin with no internet connection trying to go around the outside at the downhill esses despite my console detecting no contact whatsoever (3s), and a brakecheck in the same esses by the guy who had the fastest lap but was down in the cheap seats (1s).
    *5s penalties at Nurburgring GP from a 911 who didn't care who was alongside him because he was taking the apex and that was an end of it (3s), an Audi who had no idea how to brake at any of the hairpins (1s), and a Mercedes who didn't like being outbraked into the final chicane and turned in on the left so he could hit me and run through the right off track (1s).

And now I need to run some Daily Races to get my SR back up. Still, 11th for my manufacturer.

Dezcom, dlshearon, Groundfish and 4 others like this.
  27. 05XR8

05XR8

Took a chance on DTS with the 86. Last time we raced there(manufacturers?), I used the RC F. Was one other 86 on the grid.

Qualified mid-pack on RH. HAving the other 86 about one tenth ahead of me on RMs. STarted the race on RH as well. Followed the 86 all the way until pit stops. We both made it up to about 3rd/4th place. It pit lap 7. I went around two more laps and let the leaders, just exiting, pass at the PZ. I then pitted for RM, emerging in 6th.

Moved up to about 4th, catching a Scirocco and I think a McLaren or NSX. I think I was too kind by not forcing a pass. An SLS was gaining from way back as I was losing pace on the straights. LAst lap, the SLS goes wide at T1, I get the inside line and we go side by side under the tunnel, I feather the throttle to let the SLS pass and as I'm slotting behind it, yup, chicane of death.

Damage and having to reverse, turn around, etc. Dropped to 14th. Good thing "it doesn't count". Fun race though. Oh, I did get FL at one point. Surprised with that, in that room.

Dezcom and dlshearon like this.
  28. ddm

ddm

Took part in my first pair of FIA races: and I had a lot more fun and did a lot better than I originally expected, to be honest.
    (My DR/SR is C/B, so don't expect too much from me, lol.)

Focusing on Manufacturers', so I basically used the Nations race just as practice in the Scirocco (I chose VW).
    Only goal was to try and finish top half.

Started out with a load of fuel burning after I messed up my first 2 attempts at an okay banker lap before I really pushed: only to find that my tyres were destroyed by then, and I didn't have time to change them. Ah well, this is practice after all, and I now know "you're not good enough for fuel burning to matter lmao". Qualified in P9 (though my time was 3.4 seconds away from pole). I suppose that just highlights that it was a DR C split. :p

Came up with strategy on the fly. Kept the Mediums on for as long as I thought possible (down to about half on the fronts), then changed to Hards. If I thought the Mediums were bad after 4 laps, it was only because I hadn't yet seen the Hards after 7 laps. Was super slow through the last lap, couldn't even stay on track through Sector 2 on lap 14 (and got a 0.5 second penalty), and finally managed to just hang on to P7. Totally okay with that when I only got 3 laps of practice in and wasn't too sure of the limits through the chicane.

On to Manufacturers. I had actually practiced this for 40 minutes, so I kinda knew what to do.
    My car was #1 (and for DR C, the numbering does work correctly), so based on that I thought I'd try and finish top 5.
    Did pretty well on my first flying lap of qualy, was in P2 at that point. Guy on provisional pole after the first run was already a second ahead, and he was doing the full "fuel burn, banker lap, tyre change, qualy lap" routine in the Nissan. Knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with him then. Kinda wondering why his DR was so low compared to his skill (he got FL and won the race too).
    Kept wanting to push and find more time out on track, only to burn my tyres by lap 4 and not have time to change them. Treated the rest of the session as just a bit more practice, seen as there was no-one on track near me by then. Ended up qualifying in P3.

Race start, into Turn 1, and rammed off by the guy starting P6 or so.
    Ah well. I pulled back in to P8, the rammer ended up P10 out of that with a 3 second penalty too. Hope he's learnt his lesson. Angry pack of cars got behind me, then started fighting amongst themselves when they couldn't get past, so I got a decent gap to them.
    At the very end of the stint an M6 got behind me, and I decided he must be trying to undercut me and went super defensive. Not too sure what the point of that was, to be honest. It just lead to the Porsche behind him catching up as well. (And neither of them tried to undercut, lol.)
    Heading into the pits, I was just behind the M6. But afterwards, I was right behind him until he braked too late into T10 (and by now it was into P5).
    The Porsche had no such issues. We fought for the rest of the race. Not too cleanly (definitely a lot of doorbanging), but we had no ill intent and didn't take each other out, so for a C-B lobby it was a good hard race. He overtook out of a few faster corners, but every time I quickly got cutbacks through the slower ones.
    By the last lap, he was still right behind heading into the chicane, and I totally overcomplicated things. Trying to go too defensive, I hit the brakes too early. He drew much closer on the radar, and I let go of the brakes. Then I hit them again, but it was too late. Went way too narrow into the left, he overtook me around the outside (not the wisest choice, but whatever) and with a few knocks I ended up behind after the right.
    I didn't get the best exit out of the last corner, but even if I did, someone had lost it and the yellows were out.
    Finished in P6, with no penalties iirc (but all those bumps messed my SR up the same).

Kinda frustrating to lose it on the last lap (and annoying to finish outside the top 5 as the #1), but for a recovery drive it was fine. I've got a better idea of what I'm doing for the next races, and my Driver Points went up from 6500 to 7700. Overall, a great experience with good racing.

Oh, and fun fact: I use TCS 2 when in Gr.3. :)
    I think others with lower DRs who are spinning and gifting me free places should probably learn that the lap time they gain from TCS 0 is absolutely not worth sliding into the undergrowth or losing half a second while you catch the car in the slow corners.

Ashthebash and Dezcom like this.
  29. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

While I have yet to commit to Manufacturers this season, I decided last night to attempt the 19:40 Nations race in the Viper. No practice lobbies, no strategy, no idea on fuel/tyre usage - just wanted to jump in and hope for the best.

Came into qualifying as the 15th seed and in the company of eleven Lexuses. Soon found the Gr.4 Viper to work just as well around DTS II as it did in Manufacturers last season. Quietly set a 1:48.068 on Mediums to go sixth; would have probably dipped into the high-1:47s if it weren't for tyre wear and having to avoid an incident on my last flying lap.

Started on Mediums, dropped down a few places on the opening laps as I tried to save fuel and stay out of trouble. On Lap 2, the silver Megane Trophy dips a wheel on the outside of the second hairpin and spins into my path; I get squeezed between the Megane and one of the Lexuses who also tries to go up the inside, but somehow we all manage to survive without penalties. It was a hectic start, but not enough to faze me as I slowly worked back up the order. Followed a Lexus through as two cars spun out at the exit of the final S's, eventually finding myself back in 7th and having a fairly tidy run before pitting for Hards on Lap 7. Now, as I hadn't decided to enter the race until the very last minute, there was no time to get any decent runs on the mandatory compound, but ended up being very pleased with how the second half went.

Continued to stick with the Lexus until he pulled over for a two-stopper, and held on to 6th until the penultimate lap. Throughout the stint, a trio of Lexuses - including another two-stopper - closed in on the Viper, taking advantage of their softer Medium rubber. Let the first of these (silver) go as soon as he made a run down the straight leading to the death chicane, but ended up getting two taps from the second (orange) on the final lap - one at the first corner, the other when he snapped left into my passenger side door while braking for the third hairpin. Thankfully, I survived both without any further repercussions, and a strong drive out of the final S-bend ensured that I had enough breathing space to cross the line 7th and with 11% fuel remaining.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191116202947.png

That finish was good enough for a score of 177 points, as well as provisional rankings of 73rd in the UK and 500th in EMEA. While I have yet to decide which other FIA rounds I will be doing this season, the revised points system has the potential for even greater results if I can get consistent finishes like this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    SmokeyMR2, Ashthebash, Dezcom and 2 others like this.
  30. adokeeffe

adokeeffe

Well that was largely uneventful. A bit disappointed there was no tire requirement this round, although the braking zones of the Nurburgring GP will murder a set of hard tires - anything softer would have required more pitstops. I was curious to test out the rate of tire wear with a steering wheel, as I managed to borrow a wheel and rig from a friend, however plans went awry and I had only a brief practice before the race. Qualifying ended up a complete disaster; the Audi in front of me, on a single red bar connection, danced around the whole track which blocked anyone attempting an overtake. I tried backing off but was stuck in traffic, and had to settle for 10th. As the race began I tried to take it easy into T1, but found myself over on the opposite side of the track to my usual line, and missed the braking point. I avoided ramming anyone, but did force the Nissan GTR behind me to go wide, which ended up being a stroke of genius. The Audi with the terrible connection was forced wide into the barrier by the Nissan, putting the Audi to the back of the pack and out of harms way.

8574941653792489984_0.jpg

The rest of the race was straightforward; I climbed as high as 6th, before needing to pit, although given the gap between drivers at this point I only lost one place. Heading towards the NGK Schikane, I was rammed by the same GTR from earlier and ran wide into the turn. I figured that was fair enough payback from earlier, and pitted to let them pass by. Naturally they pitted later than me, and I gained the position back, but some sloppy driving from me on the final few laps meant I wasn’t able to do any better.

8431393820159018504_0.jpg

Not a bad result though for a race with no practice, and on a new setup. Looking forward to the Red Bull Ring this week; a full spectrum of required tires should make for a very interesting race indeed.

Attached Files:

SmokeyMR2 and VulcanSpirit like this.