2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Jeanr

Jeanr

Hi, guys! A doubt: on the next FIA Manufacters race (Red Bull Ring), there is mandatory use for the 3 types of tires (soft, medium and hard). If I start the race with medium on the front and hard in the back, and change to soft mid race, will the game accept it as all tires use during race?

2. CurbHog

CurbHog

Yes - that is my experience from previous races. I dont know if this is a loop hole that will be closed without announcement. I dont think it is realistic that this should be possible.

3. Jeanr

Jeanr

cool, tnx!

CurbHog likes this.
  4. KaiB

KaiB

This exhibition first races got me just frustated..., not much good things to say about the races themself but the only thing i can say is that was a complete garbage not only i couldn´t put 3 steady laps whitout making a mistake neither other drivers where "helping" in the quality of the race itself.

First i don´t know if it was visual bug but in both nations/Manu there where S/S ranked guys in a B/S lobby, than one thing i´ve learned is that when you are pissed of it´s better to not enter the races cause things will go ugly.

Even after i predicted bad races i made the bad decision of entering, was sit at 28k DR and 99 SR before the races,entered just to see the outcome and i was raging even before the races started.

1st try on nations got DC after qualyfication the thing was promising already.

After manufacturer...,the bad vibrations where all over "the place" again qualy was like espected..bad, i started in 13rd but since in my head i though was a technical track mistakes from others could give me a chance to end in top 10, oh boy i was right mistakes do happen and i did a big one just right after count down in the kurb before the straight, after count down finish i was near the apex with 1/5 acelerator on to prevent wheel spin and well they spined anyway and i smahed in pit entrance and got a huge penalty, so taking account that you lose time cause people must be very carefull errors to happen while better qualy people can start flat out..., i got frustated has hell but when until the end chasing a gap of 15s to all the other drivers ended up in 18th of 20th drivers lobby, i got a penalty in the way cause the last guy smahed into me while i was overtaking and then whent off the track, and in the straight when i was overtaking the 18th guy he was making S´s all over the track trying to make me hiting him beatiful race indeed.

Nations 2nd try since i got DC in 1st, qualy 5th not bad and was looking like a promising race, not..., in the first lap while all seemed smooth the guy in front of me lose control i whent for the overtake he smashed me and whent of track geting me a penalty, 2nd lap in dead chicane a guy smahed the brake i could avoid the incident but losed speed so one guy catched up puted his front near my back forced me to give up my position in track and after he touch me he touched the barriers another penalty, and in the end of the lap he dived bumped me in the back making me spin and that was enough i just quited.., or raged quited to be more precise.

Ended up losing arround 3k DR and whent from S sr to A.

Conclusion never play or go race when things are feeling wrong and you can´t seem to get the pace, there are just bad days and i hope that´s just it but lately i feel i´m getting worsth let´s see what next races bring.

JEverettL and Ashthebash like this.
  5. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

You don't need high DR to have a 'S' rating. So they were more than likely similar DR to everyone else in the race but had done well in previous FIAs and/or chosen an unpopular manufacturer which got the S rank awarded to them. Someone on my friends list, MILES slower than me, never race against him in sport mode because he's never at a high enough DR, but he's S/S, basically because he chose Mitsubishi for his manufacturer and nobody else does

KaiB likes this.
  6. jyri

jyri

Had very good race at Nations with Lamborghini. Qualified second after another Lambo. Went for no stop with hard tyres, and it worked. Minumal fuel saving with short shifting. Made a mess of the chicane on one lap and lost postion there, then managed to run one of esses too much inside and got penalty. Those cost me around 6 second in total and made an interesting last lap :)

Jeanr, JEverettL and SmokeyMR2 like this.
  7. watto79

watto79

Very nice last lap battle. Great stuff.

JEverettL, jyri and SmokeyMR2 like this.
  8. Pfei

Pfei Premium

So, I have seen confirmation from many people here that mixing tire compounds before the race start ends up satisfying both compound requirements. However all of those I have seen were with a harder compound on the rear. Can this also be done the other way? Medium front and Soft rear will satisfy both M and S requirement?

I haven't bothered "gaming" this system yet but this Red Bull Gr. 4 race... a lot of time is lost in the pits.

I would like to do a one-stop with my WRX: seven laps on M/S and ten on H/H.

Jeanr likes this.
  9. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

It can but it seems it's slower with the harder tyres on the front.

This from @pantherjag gives an insight into the time differences with hybrid tyres. I've never tried it myself but might for the upcoming Manufacturers race if I bother taking the GT86 around RBR!

SmokeyMR2 and Pfei like this.
  10. Pfei

Pfei Premium

Thanks for the info, but remember I am using the AWD WRX which is a front tire eater, hence my "odd" question of putting the harder compound on the front.

Ashthebash likes this.
  11. Jeanr

Jeanr

Yes, I just had the confirmation: I've watched the replay of the Tokyo Gr.4 Manufacturers race, where I've started with RH in the front and RM in the back. Another player started the other way, RM in the front and RH in the back. We both changed to RM/RM in the pits, and none of us got the 20s penalty.

Pfei likes this.
  12. Pfei

Pfei Premium

Thanks so much for confirming this!

Jeanr likes this.
  13. KaiB

KaiB

I though that was not allowed to make that kind of strategy in such competitions, though that was mandatory to use same compound in all wheels...

Any tips for next FIA races?

Spa gr1 seems the better strategy it´s 1 stop starting M/H on back and then M/M

But for manufacturer i only was able to make 2 races and couldn´t compare times, i did 2 stops S/M/H and and had to save fuel using bmw M4.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Jeanr likes this.
  14. Wavathar

Wavathar

This seems to be the consensus, but I truly don't get how the car goes faster with M/H instead of H/M, considering that the front tires wear out much faster than the rear ones.

Jeanr likes this.
  15. koshmare

koshmare

Last round before Monaco break

kjeldsen likes this.
  16. Jeanr

Jeanr

Well, that depends in the car. I will try start with M/H and change to S/S around lap 9. Renault is really kind on tires, but since it lacks power I usually don't save fuel.

I guess it happens because of the braking point and entrance corner speed are better with M in the front.

KaiB likes this.
  17. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

With H/M you just get understeer, and there is nothing you can do except go slower. With M/H you get oversteer, but you can (try to) control this with your accelerator. Yes the medium fronts will wear out faster, but you get the first couple of laps on better tyres and those tend to be the most important.

It's why you tend to see the front few guys in the race on the softest tyres to begin with, they just want to avoid fighting and build up a gap.

18. stpatty

stpatty

If you're mixing up tyres to start, chances are you're putting on the harder compounds to get them out of the way quickly in a short(er) stint. There's no reason not to maximise performance here by putting the softest of the two compounds on the front.

I've been focusing solely on Manufacturer races this season chasing an S rank, but I was planning on dipping into Nations combos that I found interesting. I've just tried a lap of Spa in the R18 and 908. How on earth are people not dying left right and centre here when they're doing laps? That was awful. And what's going on with the colour at Spa? The sky and grass are so over-saturated I thought I was playing the original Super Mario Bros.

pantherjag likes this.
  19. Pfei

Pfei Premium

This is true for most cars, but the WRX is useless on softs because of front wear, so I will be doing the opposite. Use the S/M first and then do a stint on H. The WRX has such good traction and acceleration that hards don't hurt pace as much as FR and MR cars. IMO, obviously.

20. KaiB

KaiB

It´s very tricky indeed when mixed compounds are used mostly in the 2 first laps with cold tyres, gr1 cars are very sensible to dirt air and with the added factor of mixed compounds with the inicial caos it´s very easy to make a big mistakes, the car it´s just not stable and with the initial pressure it´s better to "pray" for a clean start or things will go wrong for shure.

pantherjag likes this.
  21. pantherjag

pantherjag

A look at the upcoming nations race at in spa in group 1. All you need to know about tyres, fuel and pit stops.

Regarding the discussion on using mixed tyres. If you go into the car setting screen and change the tyres it shows you the effect on cornering braking and stability.

In short going from H/H to M/H improves cornering and braking but reduces stability but it's that reduction in stability that can be used to your advantage if you can manipulate it as you can rotate the car under braking and get on the power earlier.

In some car/track combos using the tyres in this manner wont work as the car becomes to unstable to control. For example the tomahawk at spa with M/H becomes a real handful at the chicane and la source to extent I wouldn't recommend it even though it's ok for most of the rest of the track.

Going from H/H to H/M also improves braking and cornering as well as vastly increasing stability which sounds great but it just makes the car much safer to drive. It is quicker than just hards alone but only by a few tenths.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    SmokeyMR2 and Ashthebash like this.
  22. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

Round 3, gr1 spa is going to be great!

schnick, Dezcom, JEverettL and 3 others like this.
  23. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I'm seriously struggling to decide which way to go with the car. Just done two practice runs, one Audi one Toyota and my overall times were almost identical (from a rough working out!) with the Toyota edging it. I did heavy fuel saving towards the end in the Audi but wanted to see what my ultimate pace was for the hybrid tyre stint. The Toyota didn't seem to like the hybrid tyres as much but pace was almost on a par with the Audi, second stint was very solid. The drive may have been slightly better in the Toyota due to already having done 15 laps (from cold) in the Audi but I'm struggling to see which way to go here! Toyota is probably the safer bet, Audi a one-shot at qualifying but if you get a clean lap you'll be higher up the grid than if in the Toyota so every chance of getting a better finish.

I understand these aren't the only two cars! What way are people leaning?

O_Maverick_O likes this.
  24. kjeldsen

kjeldsen

- DELETED -

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  25. pantherjag

pantherjag

I tried all 3 of the modern LMPs and found all to very very equal in pace but Toyota doesn't have to fuel save unlike audi and porsche. Iv settled on the porsche 919 as just liked how it handled plus I found it quite easy to save the nessecary fuel.

Not sure what will be the car of choice. Oceania top split was won by a 908 but had 2 R18s on it tail at end. Was more of a strategic win than outright pace.

Ashthebash likes this.
  26. banckzy

banckzy

I used to love the Mazda VGT in Gr1, this was going back some months though.

I guess this is no longer competitive now?

27. 05XR8

05XR8

Lord have us mercy! That was a headache. I quit the race on lap 11.

I used the TS050. Qualified 15/20 on RH tyres. I moved up to 6th place. Impatient players on fresher tyres just can't wait. I'm fighting for 5th against a slower Audi. I had to keep backing off.

As we come to the bus stop, I defend the inside from I think, a Porsche, so I can enter pit lane. The Audi ahead, is taking so long to turn, I bump it and we enter pit lane.

I come out behind it again. I don't know what it is, that Audi is so slow to accelerate. The player is braking too early. Like way too early. I then get a run after the downhill 90 degree left-hander. The player slams on the brakes as we're entering the fast left sweepers. I take that as a brake check. NOONE hardly brakes there. I get 5 seconds. I can see behind same player holding other cars up. My new tyres aren't fresh any longer. Entering Eau Rouge, two-wide, I get blasted into the wall. Tyres shot, pull into the pits and leave. Good thing "it doesn't count.".

28. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

Won manufacturers second split with the Megane Trophy. Tyre life for days.

Jeanr, Timlour, banckzy and 2 others like this.
  29. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Yeah I caught your video before you put it on here! I'm too tight to buy the Porsche and test that so am deciding between the other two, tested the Peugeot the other day and it's too hard on it's tyres in my opinion (but very quick). Overtaking in the different cars is nigh on impossible unless you're on much better tyres, all their strengths cancel each other out.

So I'll toss a coin... then pick the Audi and hope I nail qualifying! :D

30. Lilium

Lilium

sorry guys, but i've been away for the last month, since my ps4 was on warranty.

So for manu, we have to use the 3 compounds? and we kan skip one by using a hybrid compound start?