2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I quite liked this combination. Yes the COD was a bum clentcher every lap but I felt quite comfortable in the Mini.
My first DR B FIA race yielded points I hadn't dreamed of before.
Qualified 11th after mucking up my 2nd lap at the COD.
Got a good start and after turn 1 was 6th but with a gang at my rear. However the daemon of cold tyres reared and I went wide at the next fast kink. I had to brake whilst on the grass otherwise I would have no hope of making the next corner. Round the car went into the inside barrier. 1 reverse later and I was DFL. I managed to make up a few positions as people fought, had penalties or quit. I decided to do a 4/4/5 strat. Came out and was very easily able to pass those near the back including this nice 3 car pass after getting a decent run out of the COD.

After my second stop I found myself in 5th after others were stopping. I had a few place switches with a person for the UAE. Was looking good for a good finish. Not to be. I was too cautious through the COD. I turned in too early and was bounced to the far wall.
I would have been fine but I had damaged my engine and it didn't clear until the start finish straight. I was like I was racing an actual mini against them. I fell to 11th. On the last corner the UAE driver was fighting and got a slow run (I think they gave up) I passed them to finish 10th. I got my equal highest nations points. But I felt I could do better with a bit of luck.

So I waited for the next slot.

Qualified 8th this time with 2 decent runs.
A fellow Brit was on the chat telling people to behave and if they rammed him he'll ram them 10 times. (A Groundfish policy) He made special mention of the Spaniard right behind him on the grid. (I clocked him as the driver to watch, and I was right.) Got a really good getaway and was up to 5th. The Brit I mentioned ghosted in the tunnel and I passed him but was also passed myself. I ran the same strategy as before. I came out in a sort of gap and caught the gaggle ahead. And yes this Brit was in that group. He had a penalty along with a few others. I could see why. He was swerving into people left, right and centre. I passed him and got a love tap with no issue. However into the right hander before the COD he swept me and the car ahead into the barrier (it would admire the skill if I wasn't on the receiving end.) Of course the game decided I pushed a car off the track and gave me a 1 second penalty. (Ridiculous but it could have been worse.) I got back on track ahead of him and pulled away. Pitted again lap 8.
Made more places due to others pitting but had no further issues. Passed someone last lap to grab a welcome 8th place. Got a lovely fistful of points for it. Happy I went again.
In the post race chat I simply said to the Brit that I knew he was the one to watch out for. He had already got round the filter and swore at everyone. I could see he was replying to me so I just left. Couldn't be bothered with him after that.

Be aware, the faster you go, the different players you meet. Try to work out who you're racing.

However, if you keep your times artificially low then you will only match with low DR drivers so although you stand a decent chance of winning you will take forever to get out from D.. and if you have a mishap you'll lose out massively

However, if you keep your times artificially low then you will only match with low DR drivers so although you stand a decent chance of winning you will take forever to get out from D.. and if you have a mishap you'll lose out massively
Sorry not following, what do you mean artificial? I thought the whole point was to go fast...

Sorry not following, what do you mean artificial? I thought the whole point was to go fast...
You purposely drive slower than you can so you get matched with slower drivers so you can go your full speed from time to time to get easier wins.

For reference, in my race I went from 10th to 2nd and ended 5.5s away from first after being penalised for being hit by a car in the first chicane, penalised for rear-ending a car who weaved across the track to block me while I was heading into the pits, and stuffed into a wall by the guy who eventually won when he decided to pass in the dumbest place possible (and of course did not get penalised). I should have been about 10s further up the road at the end.

I did this with a 6S/7S strategy and no fuel taken, ended with 0.0 laps and 0% but not yet having run out. Short shifting just below 7k, and a little less than that in the slipstream over the first 10 laps.

Last edited:
I finally got into the last race!
Was a mixed bag. Remembered to put foot on brake at start but shoved it in to 2nd gear (qualified 12th btw).

Having a good race, pitted at 6 on a 6s/7s strategy, had to take some fuel, still to cautious and out 1 lap extra of fuel in just in case.

Exit the pits into traffic, one car decided to park in the first right hander. Last lap managed to hit the barrier at cod, but not too bad, still don't know if to try and take that flat in 5th with the mini. Any hoo, finished 6th and got a massive 29 points. I am a D rating but had two A driver's in the group!

As I said earlier, server was playing up so got to do just two races, 1st I came 9th and only got 3 points. Seems a strange system, along with getting a penalty for someone else's bad driving! Lol.

Two weeks in and loving it!

FIA Nations Round 7
MINI Clubman Vision Gran Turismo
Dragon Trail - Seaside

After a few draws at the high end of the DR in recent races, was happy to be assigned to a lobby with #19. Recognized few of the drivers, some of which I knew to watch out for, and no one I would have hoped to race with, unfortunately. Surprised myself with a 5th place starting position, when I really fouled up the second sector and missed by FP time by a bigger margin than usual, after some decent practice.

Planned on a straightforward 6/7 race on Softs, but as we started racing in the top 5, and pulled away from the rest, with plenty of fuel saved in the first several laps, I decided to go 5/7 S/M and try to use that fuel and better tires at the end to gain a spot or two...

Bad call. The M's were just as wretched as the S's after 5 laps, and I was a sitting duck having given up the track position in the first part of the last stint. I was also held up on the out-lap by a scrum from 9-12 who only then battled each other and me just to dive in the pits... 🤬

Regarding my strategy choice: 1) I don't usually get the ultimate pace out of Softs, though with a FF/AWD car I'm usually a little closer. I thought I'd be nearly as fast on Mediums... I was, but only for a lap or two. 2) I'm actually ok saving tires, I though combined with 1, that I'd have steady pace at well under what people would be running the last several laps, but that was proven wrong when the M's went down to 50% after 5 laps too. 3) I had really saved fuel well the first few laps and thought with decent tires the last few laps I could really gain on people at the end... again... wrong. I'm kinda curious what scenario @Mistah_MCA would suggest it, since he noted it as an option in his guide (as always... thanks! It's the one thing I look at before running a race, especially if I haven't practiced much).

I ran out of fuel about 100m from the finish line... along with a few others! But a 7th place, at this point, with 121 points and 600 DR to add to my marginal A rating, overall, a successful one-and-done at this fun, but tough race. I like one-spec races! Glad I had won the Mini VGT on a Daily Bonus wheel, one of the few good ones I've won. Good luck to everyone who is still running later tonight. (I think it looks pretty good with the standard KosmoKazi livery applied, too...)

8071031151898133512_0.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have to say, I think my first race back after around 3 months away went well. I got paired up with a ton of familiar names, luckily no one dirty, but a few drivers who are sometimes oblivious I did recognize. I wish I could've gotten paired with more GTPlanet members, but it was nice to see @afc5150 again!

Unfortunately, qualifying for me went poorly, I completely bundled the Chicane of Death on my flying lap, and with the tire wear, I couldn't make the second lap I had any better, so I lined up 14th next to @afc5150 .

I got lucky with the start because while I didn't get a good launch off the line (I'm used to pressing the brake down, not using the e-brake), but I was on the right-side of the track coming into the first chicane. The inside corner of the chicane got bundled up and I went a bit deep, which let me gain a few positions. Coming into the first hairpin was all about surviving as people were braking and going 2-wide into the corner, and after that it was just surviving until the field began to spread a bit. I definitely took the Chicane of Death slowly about half of the time, but I was erring on the side of caution since this thing handles like a cruise liner. After having a couple of good battles, both before and after the pit stop, I finished in 7th place, literally right behind 6th, as I was pushing hard at the end because the person behind me was catching me until they made a mistake, which caused me to catch 6th place who was rather far ahead of me.

151 points, not great, but not terrible either, and with this combo+I haven't raced all season, I'm fine with this result. One and done for me.

I ended up in 2nd split during Slot 2. I was really hoping for a more relaxing racing situation, haha.

I tried to spend a lot of time practicing qualifying and running full stints in race conditions and this week after a forgettable weekend in Manu. I was feeling pretty good. I was running consistently under 43 seconds and thought that had a pretty good chance of being good for a top 5 starting position. Come qualifying, I let the field pass me as I learned the hard way in practice races that a lot of things happen in Sector 3 on this track, if you know what I mean, and a solo run is safer. I had plenty of space until the last corner, where someone had gone off and was coming back onto the track in front of me. Anywhere else, and I could have lifted, but I had to commit since this race was really just one lap to get a time.

Sure enough, I ended up catching him, and he slowed me down quite a bit. I ended up starting P9 with a 43.3xx. If I had hit the 42.8s I'd been hitting in practice, I would've started P4. Oh well.

@Roman_GT23 started P2 and @GTWolverine started P4. After a great start, I managed to get to P6 by Sector 2 of L1, and had good slip. I held on for the ride until lap 4 or 5 where I ended up passing my teammate Wolverine. After the pits, I came out in P4 with someone still needing to pit. P3 for lap 8, and I held it alllllll the way until T1 L13. The fellow who had pitted last reeled me in. He was about .5 seconds back for the previous two laps, and I completed missed the no-tire-left braking point, and I let him by on the exit. At that point, my tires were toast and I just grabbed his slipstream to make sure I held my P4 for the finish.

A podium in 2nd split would've been awesome, but 202 points ain't bad either. It's sort of funny since I didn't plan on running 4 Nations slots, but my best two scores ever are from the last two events. Since I'm skipping the nord this weekend, I'll get lots of time to hope for a repeat performance and a nice finish at Fuji to finish up the season.

Interesting race. D/S lobby in NA. After understeering and botching the first flying lap, I managed to get in one good qualifying lap at the end, without slipstream. Managed to qualify P2! As of now, my best FIA qualifying ever. Shame you don't get DR for that, though...

Race time. Got off the line well, but P1 pushed me off the track at the first kink and I fell back to P6. I hung around there comfortably for a couple laps, before I completely butchered the CoD and got damage, dropping all the way back to P18. I can't even blame someone else for that one, I just completely understeered into the wall.
The rest of the race went decently, honestly. Pitted at the end of lap 6 for new softs, managed to claw all the way up to P10 before I realized that I was short on fuel and dropped back to P12. Tyres were fine on the first stint, but the second stint was awful. I think my right front was below 50% by the end.
As an aside, the guy who pushed me off the track ended up finishing behind me after leading a good part of the race. Karma!

This car is a lot of fun to drive but it's horribly heavy with a full tank. It's extremely clumsy in the first two laps and I saw a lot of people swerving.

Last edited:
Did slot 1 and 3, but regret going the second time as it was a pretty dirty affair as you can see from @Master Weasel 's videos above.

Race one was another poor qualy in 15th but scraped together a 12th for 100 points that counted.

Race two saw a little better qualification but had my evening destroyed by dive bombers, pushers, squeezers and crashers. Copped 2 - 3 second penalties for people bouncing off walls into me and finished around 16th for 78 non-counting points.

Big loss of 16 SR down to 83 will at least put me in good position for slot one at The Nurburgring on Saturday.

Not a fun night for me, but nice to see a few of you having better fortunes.

Last edited:
Did slot 1 and 3, but regret going the second time as it was a pretty dirty affair as you can see from @Master Weasel 's videos above.

Race one was another poor qualy in 15th but scraped together a 12th for 100 points that counted.

Race two saw a little better qualification but had my evening destroyed by dive bombers, pushers, squeezers and crashers. Copped 2 - 3 second penalties for people bouncing off walls into me and finished around 16th for 78 non-counting points.

Big loss of 16 SR down to 83 will at least put me in good position for slot one at The Nurburgring on Saturday.

Not a fun night for me, but nice to see a few of you having better fortunes.
I’m trying my damndest any more to just avoid conflict and trouble, even if it means giving up a spot... better and more fun in the long run. I’ll still have my moments I suppose.

I’m trying my damndest any more to just avoid conflict and trouble, even if it means giving up a spot... better and more fun in the long run. I’ll still have my moments I suppose.

Yeah I get discouraged when it's not fun. I work long hours and look forward to fair competition in these races, win or lose. In my race tonight, I would leave 1-1/2 to 2 car widths and STILL I'd get pushed around. This is in a 40K A/S lobby, too. Just makes me want to finish building my PC and say goodbye to GTS altogether. :guilty:

Only had time for slot one. Low A/S lobby.

Qualifying wasn't great, just couldn't nail my lap, but was good enough for Q6 on the grid.

Had a bad start, lots of bumping, I did my best to avoid it, losing places in the process. But at least I avoided the bulk of the chaos.

Hadn't enjoyed the car during free practice, as the tyres went, I felt the chances of the COD getting me were greater. So went for a 2 stopper. 4S/5S/4S. Short shifted all race and didn't need any fuel.

Came home in P6. Not the greatest result, but chose not to go again.

120 or so points
+600 DR, up to 32K
-2 SR, down to 97

Definitely not doing the next manu. But Fuji could be another SR graveyard.

Back