2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Well I signed with Chevy this season (from Lexus last season), and had my share of issues during qualifying so started 9th with a 52.462 and was really expecting to run a high 51 but obviously I pushed it too hard. Anyway I did work my up to a 3rd place podium finish and took the 119 points.

I messed up my strategy and planned on running 10 or 11 on softs and the rest on mediums, but in the heat of battle it was half way through lap 12 that I noticed, and pitted then. It all worked out alright, I guess, but I'm pretty confident I could've caught 2nd for sure......not likely 1st though as he was way too far out front.

All in all I'm happy with the result and excited to be in a Vette this season! :cheers:👍

VetteVillain.jpg

Curva Grande could actually be interesting with Gr3 cars. You have to hit it just right with the Lexus to not scrub speed, and if you get a tow down the straight it'll be even trickier. Should make for some hair raising overtakes into Roggia if people mess up and scrub speed and the people behind are coming in with the bonus speed of a tow.

So it seems that I am driving a completely different car to everyone else for the first round of Nations Cup. I cannot get the damn Yaris around the track with any kind of pace. My best lap is mid 36 and most of the time I’m doing 37s.

T3 I have to lift, everyone else seems to go flat and the last left/right onto the straight is killing me. I either end up overshooting or I have to grab 3rd because I’m carrying so little speed.

Every 3rd lap or so I end up in sand or grass. I sense this is not going to be a good round for me.

So it seems that I am driving a completely different car to everyone else for the first round of Nations Cup. I cannot get the damn Yaris around the track with any kind of pace. My best lap is mid 36 and most of the time I’m doing 37s.

T3 I have to lift, everyone else seems to go flat and the last left/right onto the straight is killing me. I either end up overshooting or I have to grab 3rd because I’m carrying so little speed.

Every 3rd lap or so I end up in sand or grass. I sense this is not going to be a good round for me.
I could have written this post, having the exact same issues!

Although a mid-36 will probably be competitive at the level I race!

"AVAILABLE TO ENTER"

We'll see what happens.
Edit:did a couple laps. First complete laps for the whole week. 1:35.767. 2.5 seconds slower than the Top 10. Cockpit view gives me the best vantage to place the car.

Here we go.

Edit:
Went wide in qualy. Car behind took advantage. It's braking a bit early in front of me on the next lap and the car behind me is riding my bumper. Car ahead brakes early and I'm waiting for it to turn. I take myself off to the left and tage the car ahead.
Try again and get wobbly for a poor qualy time.

Last(19th), moved up to a potential top 10 on Lap 12. Got bumped off by a car I guess on worn tyres and finished 13th.

Last edited:
What a disgusting garbage exhibition of racing. And now that I covered my performance, the other drivers weren't great either.

Had a solid lobby with @05XR8 and @ShiftingGears as well as other familiar faces. Thought I left plenty of room in qualifying, but ended up right on the tail of a guy coming down the hill. Pass them, screw up the turn to start up the hill, they pass me back, but they to take the whole rest of the lap on the outside. Despite my best efforts I ended up nudging them wide. Ugh, thus begins the hate.

I get an ok start at p11, drop to p12, but just trying to settle in, where. I get nuked by someone from way back who misses the braking point. Down to p18 with dead tires. I crawl back a bit and get in some racing, but a couple of small mistakes put me back with my qualifying 'buddy' who proceeds to nudge me or push me wide to get by every chance they get. Then fail to take the final turn and stop in the middle of the track, causing me to scramble for evasive action. That about sums it up. I make my own mistake and hit the wall coming down the hill. Pretty much just give up and 🤬 about to finish the laps till the race finishes, a solid DFL.

What a hateful car. And lobby. Hope you guys get a better experience. I like the track but that combo is just ugly.:yuck:

Last edited:
@Redneckchef that sounded ugly just reading it.

Thankfully I managed a one and done tonight. Had a decent grouping, but got a penalty on my hotlap in qualifying when trying to overtake a slower car, who decided that he just had to defend his line.

Started from 16th, took 2 cars off the line, then chaos erupted as I was midway through T1, someone decided to dive bomb the field from further back. I managed to avoid the worst of the carnage, but tapped another car which checked up to avoid someone I couldn't see. Emerged from that in 8th place.

Served my 3 second penalty dropping only the 2 places, then fought my way back forward. A stop at the end of Lap 6 from 8th proved to be crucial as I crossed the line in 7th.

@Redneckchef that sounded ugly just reading it.

Thankfully I managed a one and done tonight. Had a decent grouping, but got a penalty on my hotlap in qualifying when trying to overtake a slower car, who decided that he just had to defend his line.

Started from 16th, took 2 cars off the line, then chaos erupted as I was midway through T1, someone decided to dive bomb the field from further back. I managed to avoid the worst of the carnage, but tapped another car which checked up to avoid someone I couldn't see. Emerged from that in 8th place.

Served my 3 second penalty dropping only the 2 places, then fought my way back forward. A stop at the end of Lap 6 from 8th proved to be crucial as I crossed the line in 7th.
Yours sounds good. I just really dont have much but myself to blame. Even after the accident I was in with @05XR8 for a few laps, just couldn't actually keep my own driving together. Glad you had a solid race. 👍:gtpflag:

Last edited:
What a disgusting garbage exhibition of racing. And now that I covered my performance, the other drivers weren't great either.

Had a solid lobby with @05XR8 and @ShiftingGears as well as other familiar faces. Thought I left plenty of room in qualifying, but ended up right on the tail of a guy coming down the hill. Pass them, screw up the turn to start up the hill, they pass me back, but they to take the whole rest of the lap on the outside. Despite my best efforts I ended up nudging them wide. Ugh, thus begins the hate.

I get an ok start at p11, drop to p12, but just trying to settle in, where. I get nuked by someone from way back who misses the braking point. Down to p18 with dead tires. I crawl back a bit and get in some racing, but a couple of small mistakes put me back with my qualifying 'buddy' who proceeds to nudge me or push me wide to get by every chance they get. Then fail to take the final turn and stop in the middle of the track, causing me to scramble for evasive action. That about sums it up. I make my own mistake and hit the wall coming down the hill. Pretty much just give up and 🤬 about to finish the laps till the race finishes, a solid DFL.

What a hateful car. And lobby. Hope you guys get a better experience. I like the track but that combo is just ugly.:yuck:
Was thinking of doing this race in an attempt to build my SR back up for Wednesday. Have changed my mind!! :lol:

Yours sounds good. I just really dont have much but myself to blame. Even after the accident I was in with @05XR8 for a few laps, just couldn't actually keep my own driving together. Glad you had a solid race. 👍:gtpflag:

Makes up for this mornings 2 Hour at Interlagos. Well that and the trio of podiums I took in Daily Race A today to try to recover my DR losses from Red Bull Ring

I'll skip this one....
Just tried a second round. Can agree with your idea. Got through lap 1, then run off into barrier twice by someone who didnt want to be passed. Screw this. Unless you have armor plating or lightning speed and a horseshoe up your butt this is a tough combo.

Edit: seriously, after the 🤬 I have taken in race C this week and the way I was dealt with in the second race tonight when I was working hard, racing clean and being aware, I will be happy when my adventures drops back to the B lobbies. I'm not nearly as much of an 🤬 and ruthless brutal 🤬 that it seems to take to have a race in DR A now. The guy who destroyed me twice in the second race is someone I have raced clean and well with lots of times in the dailies. They just decided that me pulling a cutback was not cool and went to ruin my race for it. And to get punished with penalties and SR down for getting run off track is just getting old.

Enough whining. Those of you brave enough to accept the Yaris challenge, my hats off to you. Godspeed and Good Luck.:cheers:

Last edited:
Well, I was right. I suck at this combo.

Middle session, door 1 (oh no). Q7. Not as terrible as I thought. Maybe I’ll actually do ok? Nope.

False started !?!?! First time ever. Then get hit from behind, 4sec penalty. DFL into turn 1 and then serve the 4 seconds later in the lap. Fight my way back to the back of the pack as a few start binning it. By the end of lap 6 I’m p14 and change tires along with half the field. Come out p17 and work my way back up to p14 with p9 in sight. Lap 11 a hero decides to bomb from 4 cars back at the right hander at the bottom of the hill and pushes me into the sand. Down to p18. Last 2 laps I finally hook up some turns and make up 3 spots for a p15 finish 0.05 seconds behind the mad bomber. 53 points and I am still tossing up whether to go in the last session.

It can’t go worse, can it?

Last edited:

Middle session, door 1 (oh no). Q7. Not as terrible as I thought. Maybe I’ll actually do ok? Nope.

False started !?!?! First time ever. Then get hit from behind, 4sec penalty. DFL into turn 1 and then serve the 4 seconds later in the lap. Fight my way back to the back of the pack as a few start binning it. By the end of lap 6 I’m p14 and change tires along with half the field. Come out p17 and work my way back up to p14 with p9 in sight. Lap 11 a hero decides to bomb from 4 cars back at the right hander at the bottom of the hill and pushes me into the sand. Down to p18. Last 2 laps I finally hook up some turns and make up 3 spots for a p15 finish 0.05 seconds behind the mad bomber. 53 points and I am still tossing up whether to go in the last session.

I lost 2 points going for it again even though I drove miles better. I think last slot will have some really desperate people ready to make desperate crazy moves, but your call if you got the time.

I lost 2 points going for it again even though I drove miles better. I think last slot will have some really desperate people ready to make desperate crazy moves, but your call if you got the time.

Last slot is usually mayhem, BUT, this is very unlikely to be one of my strong rounds so I feel like there’s not much to be lost.

Wish me luck, I’m going in.

Out of interest, whats the penalty for a false start?

The last slot was mayhem. Q15 after a terrible mistake on the last turn on my first qualifying lap. Absolute madness ahead of me at turn 1 with 2 cars pushed sideways and some frankly obscene diving up the inside. I avoided it and waltzed out in 12th. The rest of the race was spent trying to pre-empt dives and pushes. Mostly successfully. By the time I pitted I was p10 and then spent the last 7 laps watching the drivers in front shove each other around while I quietly made ground. One silly mistake on T3 cost me some time on lap 11 but I still managed to keep out of serious trouble. Into the final turn I had made it to p8 within slipstream distance of p7 (who had unceremoniously pushed past me a few laps earlier) and he runs wide and cops a 0.5 penalty which rounds up to 1s. Boom! 7th and 101 points.

Miracles do happen!

Out of interest, whats the penalty for a false start?
I think it was 3 seconds. I was so surprised it took me a few seconds to work out why I didn’t have any power.

Last edited:
The last slot was mayhem. Q15 after a terrible mistake on the last turn on my first qualifying lap. Absolute madness ahead of me at turn 1 with 2 cars pushed sideways and some frankly obscene diving up the inside. I avoided it and waltzed out in 12th. The rest of the race was spent trying to pre-empt dives and pushes. Mostly successfully. By the time I pitted I was p10 and then spent the last 7 laps watching the drivers in front shove each other around while I quietly made ground. One silly mistake on T3 cost me some time on lap 11 but I still managed to keep out of serious trouble. Into the final turn I had made it to p8 within slipstream distance of p7 (who had unceremoniously pushed past me a few laps earlier) and he runs wide and cops a 0.5 penalty which rounds up to 1s. Boom! 7th and 101 points.

Miracles do happen!

I think it was 3 seconds. I was so surprised it took me a few seconds to work out why I didn’t have any power.
Well done! Awesome! As much as I can sound grumpy I love to see people nailing this stuff. Great job.:cheers:

Last edited:
What is the ideal strategy for the Yaris race? Could do with some help. I tried one stop but I did lose a few positions. But I think I could have made those positions back if I had not been stuck behind a few cars. But many did no stops. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
What is the ideal strategy for the Yaris race? Could do with some help. I tried one stop but I did lose a few positions. But I think I could have made those positions back if I had not been stuck behind a few cars. But many did no stops. Any suggestions?

1 stop for me although of you're very good on tyres 0 stop is possible.

First Nations race and it's with road cars and high tyre wear, Yay?

Qualified in a lowly 15th. The first half of the race went well and was up to 11th. I pitted on lap 6 for fresh tyres as I knew a 0 stop would be a stretch for me. A few other cars also stopped but strategy looked like a mix of a 1 and 0 stop.

Second half and some battling with a couple of other cars and a Spaniard who nearly saw me onto the sand a couple of times saw me finish 13th for 76 points. Leaving it there as I know people will lean towards the 0 stop.

Last edited:
Back