2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. breeminator

breeminator

Is it just me, or is it REALLY hard to get consistent at Maggiore GP II? So many bits seem to be blind, in that you can't fully see the track where you want to be looking for the action you need to perform, so I'm failing to accurately hit the same line every time, much more so than most tracks. In a sense, I'm not doing THAT badly, in that I'm within 20 secs of a couple of race times aliens have done in practice lobbies that I'm aware of, but it just feels so frustrating to drive it when most corners feel like I've totally failed to drive them how I wanted to.

2. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I had a go at something there a couple of weeks ago and considered changing to chase cam so I had a higher viewpoint, but when I did I couldn't get used to the comparatively slow speed of it so scrapped the idea of racing there! Turns 2, 5 and 6 are horrible when trying to pick a turn in point

breeminator likes this.
  3. watto79

watto79

Yeah I'm really struggling with it. I like the normal way around but just don't get the flow to the reverse format. What are the alien lobby times out of interest? I'm considering sitting this one out I'm so far off the pace. Might give Nations a whirl instead as that looks like a fun combo!

breeminator likes this.
  4. breeminator

breeminator

Best I've seen is 23:41 by BFR_HORN3T5X in the 4C. I'm stuck around the 24 minute mark in a custom race. It feels like my driving is bad and I should be able to do much better, but it's just not happening so far.

watto79 likes this.
  5. stpatty

stpatty

Both versions of Maggiore are a blind, apexless mess where you need to aim for where you think the middle of the road is and hope you get lucky. I hate both layouts, and the Gr.3 Nissan is an absolute dog there.

breeminator likes this.
  6. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

Less practice better results? Looking for a high return on investment tonight...

7. 05XR8

05XR8

A Group C Nations race at this track, is what is needed.

[​IMG]
    Qualified on RM to see how far I could go. Started 16/19 on the RMs. Stayed out with another RC F while all the GT-Rs pitted. Ran to lap 10. Overfilled to run flat out to the finish. I got overtaken coming out of the pits. However, as I was behind 6th & 7th, I decided to pit again for RS. Cars were far enough behind as I could remain in the top 10.

Pitted lap 14, came out in 10th. Battled another RC F(i believe on RMs). Waited a couple laps to see where I could make a solid move. On lap 17, made my move at "Church Corner", into the braking zone. Tyres just beginning to fall off. No dramas on the last lap. Done.

8. LotusEvoraGTE

LotusEvoraGTE

Qualified 2nd place at Maggiore GP (2:01, just behind pole who got 1:59) only to get smashed into the wall mid-way through Turn 1 by some mongrel in a fluorescent green AMG GT down to like double digit positions. Followed afterwards by someone else in an E92 pinging off me that same corner the next lap... needless to say my mood soured for the rest of the race. Ultimately I managed to somewhat salvage it by getting 7th place but that just left me in an awful mood afterwards.

9. pennanton

pennanton

The grip level change on the Manu race was just absurd. Chose Chevvy and was running 27/28s in practise no problem, come race it was just understeer city, a total dog. Couldn't crack 2:00 with freshish tyres and lower fuel load.

I know there's a reason practice is the way it is, but it was nowhere this bad for the Nations race.

Underthewhip likes this.
  10. peppermint430

peppermint430

nations track/car combo is not for me so i just did manu. qual 6th on a pretty poor lap just taking it easy, ended up by myself after lap 1, guys in front never to be seen again and the guys behind hovering between 5-10 sec back for the whole race. i drove very conservatively because there was no way i was catching the next group and the guys behind were having i think a 4 way battle. it was pretty boring but happy with 4th and a huge bump to DR and SR.

11. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Done a couple of lobbies for Nations and it could be an interesting, tight race with varying strategies... and a plane crash or two as people exit the pits!

12. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I may have a second attempt at Nations. Qualified poorly making a mistake on each flying lap, started 10th, then this happened and I was dead last with a 5s penalty.

Watching it back it was a revenge punt by someone who had the audacity to complain about it after the race. When I say revenge punt, nothing had been done to him (unless it was a spillover from qualifying). He'd had contact with someone who got caught out by the dirty air on T1 then took it out on someone else for half the lap and gave himself 15s of penalties

I pulled it back to finish 11th and tried to get FL on my final stint to salvage something but was just a tenth or so shy with a couple of 1:31.3s. As I say, I may have another shot in the final slot

*Also, can you report someone after the event? Because his targeting of two drivers was very deliberate and ruined the races of a good chunk of the field.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    SmokeyMR2 and VulcanSpirit like this.
  13. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Tried the manufacturers race with the Ferrari but it's basically undriveable with a controller after 2 laps. Going to skip the rest of the Group 3 rounds until I can change manufacturer.

14. stpatty

stpatty

Went from 19th to 13th at Lake Maggie in the GT-R. It could have been 12th but I went wide through the esses on the last lap while a Jag was chasing me with tyres one lap fresher, before he passed me into the big corner with all the Mobil banners next to it. I think he thought I was blocking him through the esses because it wasn't a clean pass. Pretty enjoyable race overall, considering how poor the car is there.

Pfei and Ashthebash like this.
  15. breeminator

breeminator

In Manufacturers, approaching the start of my first flying qualifying lap, I'd tried to leave a reasonable gap to the car in front, must have been around 1.5 seconds, but I'm not exaggerating, they messed up every single corner until they messed one up so badly that I could get past. I thought I might as well carry on for a 2nd flying lap, look at the deltas, and decide whether to pit or not. I was 0.5 secs up near the end of the lap, but tbh, I just wasn't able to think it all through well enough while driving that fairly intense track, and I completed the lap when I now see it was the wrong decision. There wasn't time to get round again, pit, and do another out lap before the 10 mins was up, so that was it, my qualifying lap had been done with 2-3 lap old tyres and more fuel than necessary. I qualified 12th. I decided I'd do a 1 stop race and basically try to just completely avoid any incidents. There were plenty of incidents, and I finished 5th without, I think, overtaking a single car. So a different Citroen driver got the win on this occasion:

manu 14122019 result 5th.jpg

watto79, xxPinkyKissxx, Pfei and 2 others like this.
  16. xxPinkyKissxx

xxPinkyKissxx

Qualified 5th just dipping into 59s. Decided to go for a 2 stop strategy. By lap 4 had climbed to 3rd and then pitted. Came back out in 5th and caught the guys in front pretty quickly on fresh tires. Passed them all and went into 2nd position. Then the guy in 3rd decided he would dive bomb going into the left turn after the long up and down straight, barging me off the track. Ended up losing the time I’d gained. After second pit stop, came out in 6th. Got past 5th only to be punted off by him missing his braking point. Finally got past with a lap to go.

BD0CD123-C88A-437A-A716-B6C8FA4DEE7D.jpeg

Convinced the 2 stop would have been a great choice if I hadn’t have been pushed off the track. :(

DB943B2E-B19B-4B85-93C6-5FA72D7D9C5B.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

Well I'm live now with some more Manufacturers action for those interested! Just got rank 1 worldwide earlier after a small break so I'm hoping this can translate into some form of victory!

18. Granadier

Granadier

I don't think any of the PD made tracks work well in reverse. Maggiore especially. It's designed to have so many high speed flowing sections that are aided grip wise by being uphill in the normal configuration. Reversing it just turns the track into a mess.

Pigems, dlshearon and breeminator like this.
  19. Underthewhip

Underthewhip

Same experience here. Did low 1:29s in practice and in qt managed a 1:34. Circumstances too bit still. Started 14th and ended up 5th even though I was spun twice ending up in the back.

20. Underthewhip

Underthewhip

So angry now. Just gave Nations another go, didn't do well in qualifying this time either because people get into the way, but got a lap in after 2 flying laps. Started 5th on mediums. Side by side with guy in 4th before first corner. I had the inner, guy hangs in there but hits the wall and bounces in and takes me out. I ended up last and guy came third. Frustrating.

Tires really just die when you slide and end up in the grass, even if there's plenty of white, they just became unusable and didn't recover. Drove two laps on them before I decided that they had to go. Pitted for softs, then mediums again and with two laps left I still hadn't caught up with anybody who was left so pitted for softs again to take fastest lap. Messed it up .. hope last Manu race goes better. Really need a podium now T_T

Edit: messed up qualifying again. Ppl racing you when they're on outlap. Why not just ghost ppl on outlap?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Ashthebash likes this.
  21. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Abit late but here's last week's races:

As for tonight's races, the Strats are looking like this:

Nations: After trying a 1 stopper and 2 stopper in practice, 2 stopper looks to be the way to go by starting on the Mediums with Lap 7 and 14 being the ideal laps for pitting and finishing the final four laps on Softs.

Manufacturers: 2 stopper is effectively the only option with how bad the tire is for this combo in the Lexus. Laps 5 and 10 appear to be the most ideal and least shocking feel wise.

Hopefully, things go well.

Ashthebash likes this.
  22. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I'm just sticking this in here. This is an A+/S FIA lobby, it should be good competitive racing and it should be clean, then you get complete idiots like this wrecking the race for a number of people. He may have had an issue with someone but it's disgusting behaviour and completely deliberate

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  23. adokeeffe

adokeeffe

Round 7 - Lago Maggiore GP II

Always keen for a race at Lago Maggiore, one of my favourite tracks in the game, and this round certainly did not disappoint. Started 8th on the grid but moved up to 6th in the opening minute, after a failed overtake by an RS.0.1 caused a collision with a Supra, allowing me to block them both out on the inside line at Turn 3. The Renault tried to repeat the same manoeuvre again on me, but I held the line on the downhill stretch to the loop.

7287489401824772624_0.jpg
    Up ahead trouble was brewing, as the TeamGoGoGo McLaren struggled with staying on the circuit, exiting the Red Curves and most of the following corners sideways. I backed off to avoid an accident at the top of Turn 1 on the following lap, which allowed the Renault from earlier to slip on through. But their poor line and the McLaren’s unpredictable behaviour meant I repeated my manoeuvre from earlier, and blocked both cars out as I took the inside, with the Renault ricocheting off my rear wheel and into the McLaren. The resulting accident left me in 5th with a comfortable margin, and with a smug grin on my face. I began to sense deja-vu as a factory Mustang battled with the Team m&m’s M6 through the Red Curves.

8430840768293241368_0.jpg
    The Mustang missed the braking point and slid wide, losing pace and allowing me to pass on the uphill straight, as I went hunting for some m&m’s. But sensing the tires were at their limit, I pitted for a fresh set of mediums and a squirt of fuel at the end of Lap 6. I emerged from the pits in 6th behind the TeamGoGoGo McLaren - exactly where I did not want to be, given their erratic driving throughout the race, but I managed to slip by them easily enough, and as the m&m’s M6 pitted I moved into 4th. Unfortunately a few laps later things took a turn (literally), when I too ran wide out of the Red Curves and slid sideways, managing to hold the slide and recover, but losing a place to the M6. Whilst they weren’t too far ahead at first, they just kept powering ahead, and I crossed the line in 5th.

8575518895050326552_0.jpg
    Not even that careless slide (and an unnecessary fuel refill) could spoil what is my best result so far this season, and one of my best performances on track. Which it needed to have been, given the inevitable horror of next round; even Group 4 cars are too much for Tsukuba’s tight turns and close walls. I might just sit that one out….

Attached Files:

24. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Last night's races:

Nations: Started almost last and boy, Lap 1 was excitement right off the bat. Lots of people again not knowing how to control the 2008 Nissan GT-Rs and that allowed me to just blow by comfortably in My Lexus. Did have one guy in another Lexus just drill me trying to pass me, then did the same to another car (giving him a 5 second penalty) but apart from that, Race went pretty good. Even had a close finish at the line.

Manufacturers: A complete Slog. Tire wear was just unbelievably Brutal, made even worse by once again the Brakes just being really bizarre. Its like despite me having ABS on, I'm somehow locking up the worse the tires get. At best, new tries were only good for two laps before they just ceased to live. Not a great result, but at least it was a race where I didn't make mistakes or get hit for once at the Reverse layout so there is that.

25. zavisic_

zavisic_

Yesterdays nations top split race number 1.

dlshearon likes this.
  26. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

A very mixed FIA double last night on two of the most difficult and demanding reverse circuits GT Sport has to offer.

Nations Cup (17:00):
    Stuck with the tried-and-tested 2016 GT-R, got drawn into the same lobby as @Ashthebash. Had a relatively trouble-free qualifying session to go 7th fastest with a 1:31.726. My main focus for the GT-R Cup (no joke, the only non-Nissan entry in my lobby was a solitary Lexus starting in 6th) was to pace myself on a two-stopper (Softs, Mediums, Softs) and not do anything overambitious, knowing full well about the barriers and limited overtaking opportunities at Sardegna A II. Despite immediately grazing the barrier at the outside of Turn 1, the first stint went relatively well, and I was more than content with passing through incidents and saving fuel in the tow of the '08 GT-R in front. When I realised that I was losing more time to the cars further ahead, I decided to undercut said GT-R on Lap 5, exchanging Softs for Mediums and securing 4th place. Made the Mediums last until Lap 12, and soon became embroiled in a few tense battles for position.

On Lap 14, a Rebellion-liveried '08 GT-R dives on the inside of me at second hairpin, and we spend at least a quarter of a lap mostly side-by-side. Had to give up 6th so we could have enough room for the slow S's, and sacrifice 7th to a blue and orange GT-R (who started the race from the very back) as he sweeps around my outside. Not a problem for me, though, as we all gradually catch up to the GT-R in 4th, the Rebellion car runs wide at Cathedral and an Italian spins out of 3rd on the very next lap. Going into the final moments, a podium place grew increasingly likely as 3rd and 4th squabbled up ahead and the car in 2nd picked up a penalty. This was where things really got tense. I make a strong run past one of the PTM GT-Rs as he drifts wide onto the blue zone at the final corner, and try to closely follow the fight for 2nd that is now developing. Next time we come to the slow S's, I brake early and my car snaps suddenly to the left as I turn in; I hit the PTM GT-R who's trying to pass me on the inside, causing him to spin out and me to feel guilty at having unintentionally taken him out. Momentarily lost 4th when the Rebellion GT-R forced past me at Turn 1 - not at all helped by the other PTM GT-R being forced out wide by the blue and orange one - but regained it when the PTM car forced the Rebellion car wide at the exit of the final S's.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191214174951.png

Felt glad to have conquered Sardegna A II, yet disappointed with how scrappy the last few laps turned out. Made amends with the PTM driver by apologising to him after the race, but still can't help but feel like I should've braked a little later or turned in a little gentler that time.

Manufacturers Series (21:00):
    On the back of my FP times and practice runs, I wasn't feeling confident about the reverse Maggiore GP loop. Like many others, I struggled to get consistency in test lobbies, but decided to do the 21:00 slot anyway as I felt I had nothing to lose following my Nations run.

Got drawn into what @breeminator told me afterwards was a 55-60K lobby, and immediately encountered problems when I made contact with a McLaren on my out lap (prompting another apology). Aborted my first flying lap after going off twice, got blocked on my second by a Lambo and was reeled in by a fast-charging Aston on my third. Despite having to let the Aston through, I was able to clock a 1:58.750; not bad on worn tyres, but well short of the low-1:58s I achieved in practice. A very frustrating session, to say the least.

Started the race with a couple of consistent laps, catching up to a Porsche/Lexus battle and gaining four places at the near-halfway mark. Initially, I thought about doing a one-stop, but decided at the last minute to follow the Lambo into the pits on Lap 5. Went wide on cold tyres on Lap 6, but quietly soldiered on in 14th once more pit stops and penalties were served elsewhere. By Lap 9, I felt that a one-stop was no longer possible without losing masses of time near the end, and found myself being pressured by a Honda who had earlier been punted out of the top 10. Said Honda rams me from behind as I hug the apex at the final corner, leaving me fishtailing on my way into the pits for the second and final time. The McLaren squeezes me to the kerb on pit exit; the Lexus bumps me a split-second later. Despite not being able to get past, I follow the McLaren as he draws closer to - and repeatedly makes contact with - the Porsche in front. Coming out of the final corner, I get a fantastic run on both as we start the last lap, getting the move sown up under braking into Turn 1 despite being biffed by the McLaren in the process. At the time, I thought I might have accidentally blocked him by losing too much speed through the apex, and felt compelled to apologise to him once again. However, re-watching the radar and rear-view mirror on my on-board capture suggested that the Porsche merely shoved the McLaren into my rear bumper, so clearly their on-track tempers hadn't fully died down at that point. And with that, I was free to run away with 13th place, which became 12th when the Honda had a massive off further into the lap.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191214214634.png

Well, I can't honestly say that was the most enjoyable race of the season, but 153 points is not bad considering how badly qualifying went. From the replays and streams I've seen of the same race, it seemed like it was just as chaotic and unforgiving at the front as it was in the bottom 10.

And with those races done, my total scores now stand at 1,028 points for Nations (8th in UK, 57th in EMEA) and 557 for Manufacturers (12th for Citroen, 435th in EMEA). Think I can safely wrap up my Nations campaign for this season, but am not sure if I want to continue in Manufacturers after my form in the last two rounds and with the Christmas holidays coming up. I have the pace for sure, but I don't feel like I've enjoyed last night's rounds the same with the extra practice I put into both.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  27. 05XR8

05XR8

Just got the Supra, but it's not available as an FIA Manu. Hope that changes with the next update.

Edit: If/When it becomes available for FIA events, these are BOP specs and gearing, compared to the other Toyota/Lexus cars. CHeck that torque figure :eek::drool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  28. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

Have I mentioned I don't like Gr2 races? Planned to do just the first slot and ended up doing all three. Plebbed q all three times. All softs first race first stint with the 16 GTR didn't work. 2nd time was just meh. Tried the Lexus the last time and was wrecking all over until I got a handle on it and finished 2nd. Should've picked the Lexus from the start.

Manu with the Mustang was utterly tragic. May be one of the worst cars hands down at Maggiore Reverse. Stuck in backfield minefield first time. Went a second time and everyone wrecked to give me a shocking 6th.

dlshearon, JEverettL and Pfei like this.
  29. Hasnain282

Hasnain282

30. watto79

watto79

theschledy and SmokeyMR2 like this.