2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Did a bit of testing before the manu race on Wed (I won’t have time to practice tomorrow so i have to finish all the math about the fuel today lol), and seems like I found a strategy that suits my style and the jag:

So I did 9 laps of testing, using 3 compounds and 3 different driving styles: aggressive (all out, no fuel save), moderate (some fuel saving in s1 and 2), and conservative (fuel mapping 4 or more in s2, 50% upshift). I marked all the times and fuel burnt into the excel sheet

25FAB9BE-A9DB-4962-BCB1-402D41E45D38.jpeg

With 6s/8m/6h strategy and refuelling speed 0.17s per 1%, seems like soft + aggressive/medium + moderate/hard + conservative is the best strategy for me...

53B3FB91-F0EF-42D7-9FE3-707F13550ABB.jpeg

just did 2 test races with a few a+ guys in the lobby and it worked lol for sure I have ignored many other factors (e.g. slipstream, pace of your opponents etc.), so you have to change your strategy in the mid race in order to get the best result.

Hope it helps you guys a bit and you can make this spreadsheet by yourself. Just 9 laps of testing and use vlookup to do the work... way better than calculating all the stuff in your mind hahaha

FIA races are typically designed so you only need one fuel stop (or no fuel and just short shifting), regardless of how many tires stops are required. Adding fuel before it's necessary just adds weight to the car, and makes your pit stop longer so you come out behind more slower cars.

Thought experiment: 15 lap race, fuel lasts 11 laps, tires last 5 laps. Why would you add fuel at lap 5?

noted what you say, but now the thought experiment for the current Manu race at Interlagos;

20 lap race. let's say fuel for max. about 12 laps.
If you want to do a strategy of 5S / 9H/ 6M, then you would need to refuel a bit at the first stop and then re-fuel again on the second stop. Otherwise you would be out of fuel around lap 12 while your second stop is lap 14,
But that would take more time due to the animation then adding exactly the same amount of fuel in 1 stop? if that is so, then it would limit the number of strategies and you should either do 5S and 6M (or visa versa), then refuel and do 9H.
Otherwise do 9H, refuel and then 6M / 5S (or visa verca). but in any case, no Hard tyres in the middle stint?
other strategies would cost a few seconds more due to the animation being shown twice?
or am I missing something? :confused:

Well, if your car choice dictates that you can only run 5 laps on softs and 6 laps on mediums before the next lap is slower than the 9th lap on Hards (that's a big oof, are you sure? but anyways...) you can do some short shift fuel saving and try to get 14 laps out of the tank to run Hards and Softs, which will naturally help your tire wear a bit since you'll be braking less, and then refuel and do the Mediums after that. Also consider you'd probably prefer not to be on the Hards for the middle stint, since those will be the laps where everyone on the track is pitting and you can undercut / overcut people and pick up free positions, or be the victim of being undercut by people on the faster tires.

The new longer pit duration certainly makes tire wear races more interesting than they used to be. :)

Well, if your car choice dictates that you can only run 5 laps on softs and 6 laps on mediums before the next lap is slower than the 9th lap on Hards (that's a big oof, are you sure? but anyways...) you can do some short shift fuel saving and try to get 14 laps out of the tank to run Hards and Softs, which will naturally help your tire wear a bit since you'll be braking less, and then refuel and do the Mediums after that. Also consider you'd probably prefer not to be on the Hards for the middle stint, since those will be the laps where everyone on the track is pitting and you can undercut / overcut people and pick up free positions, or be the victim of being undercut by people on the faster tires.

The new longer pit duration certainly makes tire wear races more interesting than they used to be. :)

much more interesting indeed!
well, I did some practice racing in lobbies and indeed for me softs are good for 5 to 6 laps on my RZC, mediums about 6 to 7. Have to say that I did not yet practice with tyre saving efforts....
And can not shortshift as i drive automatic. So will do a strategy either starting or ending with the hard tyres. Thanks for your feedback!

but in any case, no Hard tyres in the middle stint?
other strategies would cost a few seconds more due to the animation being shown twice?
or am I missing something? :confused:
Even if the animation cost you a tad you'd still be better doing say 9H, fuel for 6M, fuel for 5S. Honestly I think with the lower fuel loads, 6H/8M/6S might be possible, but I need to test it. 6M on a full tank was OK so 7 maybe 8 with a lighter car. Although I wasn't that much slower on hards so maybe 9/6/5 would be the safe and easy way to go.

Does anyone know the exact time loss of the fuel animation? ie how much extra time you’re spending by refuelling twice rather than once.
Well I took numbers to see the loss for refueling and they were.
Tyres only 4.767
49% fuel 13.834
63% fuel 16.067
Now I'd rather have another time to check this, but that works out at 1.25 secs which is a bit but you'll be lighter for at least 5 laps so it should pay for itself.

EDIT: Did a lot more testing and accuracy is hard because fueling isn't constant, but I'd say the animation costs slightly under 1 sec under normal circumstances. Since hitting the pits wrong can cost you about that and driving with a lighter car I'd ignore it, but each to their own.

Last edited:
Well I took numbers to see the loss for refueling and they were.
Tyres only 4.767
49% fuel 13.834
63% fuel 16.067
Now I'd rather have another time to check this, but that works out at 1.25 secs which is a bit but you'll be lighter for at least 5 laps so it should pay for itself.

EDIT: Did a lot more testing and accuracy is hard because fueling isn't constant, but I'd say the animation costs slightly under 1 sec under normal circumstances. Since hitting the pits wrong can cost you about that and driving with a lighter car I'd ignore it, but each to their own.

Interesting, thanks!
To add to this I just did a couple of tests:
Tyres only: 4.772
Tyres and 14% refuel: 7.908
Tyres and 6% refuel: 6.823
So works out about 1.25 secs also, same as you. Good to know!

I was planning on going 6s 6h 8m or 6h 6s 8m in my jag, but knowing it’s that short maybe a different strategy with refuelling twice could work. Lots of options!

Last edited:
Good luck to those that chose the Evo or WRX. I'm liking the GR 4 cars at Spa so far. Pretty speedy in all the twisty sections. Which, is daggone near everywhere!

The Gr.3 Evo was very nice at DTG. A bit quicker than the WRX. Still, both very nice care.

Didn't post about Nations this weekend cuz it was a hectic one, but man... that was something.

Slot 1, I'm excited because I liked how the Yaris on Racing tires handled, and I'm Door #15 in a 221 pt lobby. I try to space myself out for qualifying but the person ahead decides to let people by and gun it, leaving maybe a second between us. They mess up their lap, and I hoped they would let me by but didn't, and I ended up fighting them through S3 since they had dirty tires, and then they divebomb me into T1 for the second flying lap, so I only start in 12th when I could've easily been in the Top 7 or so. And then the race.... my God, what a mess. Same guy divebombs into T1, collisions everywhere, penalties nowhere to be seen, being smashed left and right, the red mist descended as I started getting way too aggressive and got wiped out by rammers who got into 99SR. Ended up finishing 19th, as I did a victory spin one lap too early and lost two positions there, but whatever, that race was a write-off at that point. :lol:

I went to go help a friend work on his motorcycle and came back, and decided to hop into the 4th slot. Door #16 in a 220 point lobby, but this time I got a clean run in qualifying and started 7th. I managed to escape the carnage at T1 and the clown show behind me. Had a mostly boring 1st stint but caught up to a group of 4 cars and ended up fighting one of them after the pit stop. I wanted to work with them to catch the two ahead but they fought tooth-and-nail at every corner which caused us to almost lose our position to 7th behind. Came home 6th for 176 points, so I can live with that.

I have to say, the new penalty system has lowered the quality of racing. If you're lucky you can get into the front pack where things aren't as bad, but if you get stuck in the middle or back there's no hope.

I haven't had any practice yet for the Manu race on Wednesday and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get in, so I'm not sure if I'll run it or not.

The plan was to run Jaguar for the full season after having arguably my most successful season with them last time. I was going to just have fun in a different manufacturer for this Exhibition season as i'm unlikely to enter more than 3 of the races. However, i've decided to just stay loyal with Jag, even though it seems like over half of other players have also turned to Jaguar! (Nerf incoming). :lol:

Its also 5 years this month since i underwent brain surgery to remove a tumour which was sadly unsuccessful and remains in place. Thankfully its benign and this year will be my final scan before i'm effectively discharged! As a reminder of how fortunate i am to still be here and to show my gratitude, i've dedicated my livery to the Brainstrust Charity who were instrumental in providing me with help and advice to ease me through the worst of it. I will run their colours for the Exhibition season :cool:

IMG_4130.JPG

Its also 5 years this month since i underwent brain surgery
Proof that we do have players with a brain!!! Glad your remaining well and good luck with that.
Yeah seems Jags are very pop this season, 3 on the top 10 board today and I think there were more yesterday. Really glad I didn't go with them now as I always try and avoid the META, not that I'm good enough for it to really matter. Bit worrying that I haven't seen any Aston Martins up there though, is this cos they're bad or just no good drivers are using them?

Proof that we do have players with a brain!!! Glad your remaining well and good luck with that.
Yeah seems Jags are very pop this season, 3 on the top 10 board today and I think there were more yesterday. Really glad I didn't go with them now as I always try and avoid the META, not that I'm good enough for it to really matter. Bit worrying that I haven't seen any Aston Martins up there though, is this cos they're bad or just no good drivers are using them?
Thank you! I don't like picking Meta either and had decided on Hyundai, designed a livery for both Gr.3 and Gr.4 and run a full race practice with it...but last minute change of heart. Also gave Aston (Vantage) a thorough testing and it was a choice between those 3 as it feels so similar to the Jag. I think if PD hadn't had those couple of daily's where the Jag Gr.4 was so dominant, they wouldn't have been so popular. Damn you PD!! :lol:

They are not bad at all, fast cars in both classes. But a little thirsty and hard on tires.

Anyway when talking about META it's really just important when you get a lot faster than you and me. Every car is capable of winning the races in our level.

@xxPinkyKissxx congratulations on the 5 years.
Hope you have avoided other side effects. A friend of mine had her tumor in the frontal lobe and got some personality changes when they removed as muchas they could.
Still, a lot better that what a worst case scenario would be.
I love the liveries!

The plan was to run Jaguar for the full season after having arguably my most successful season with them last time. I was going to just have fun in a different manufacturer for this Exhibition season as i'm unlikely to enter more than 3 of the races. However, i've decided to just stay loyal with Jag, even though it seems like over half of other players have also turned to Jaguar! (Nerf incoming). :lol:

Its also 5 years this month since i underwent brain surgery to remove a tumour which was sadly unsuccessful and remains in place. Thankfully its benign and this year will be my final scan before i'm effectively discharged! As a reminder of how fortunate i am to still be here and to show my gratitude, i've dedicated my livery to the Brainstrust Charity who were instrumental in providing me with help and advice to ease me through the worst of it. I will run their colours for the Exhibition season :cool:

View attachment 994986

Very cool livery and a noble cause. Love the flowing lines and the use of color.
Glad to read you are doing okay and do hope that will stay so! make sure to stay vigilant for any changes....

Also had a tumor removed via surgery years ago and thankfully succesfulll with hardly any side effects. (only thing is I am drooling sometimes and I had no feeling in the left side of my face on and around my ear. My wife almost pissed her pants once when a parrot was chewing and licking my ear without me even noticing it :lol:)

Hope you have avoided other side effects. A friend of mine had her tumor in the frontal lobe and got some personality changes when they removed as muchas they could.

Very cool livery and a noble cause. Love the flowing lines and the use of color.
Glad to read you are doing okay and do hope that will stay so! make sure to stay vigilant for any changes....

Also had a tumor removed via surgery years ago and thankfully succesfulll with hardly any side effects. (only thing is I am drooling sometimes and I had no feeling in the left side of my face on and around my ear. My wife almost pissed her pants once when a parrot was chewing and licking my ear without me even noticing it :lol:)

Wow!! congrats to you, glad its been a success! Sorry to hear about the slight side effect though. I developed epilepsy as a result of the operation but now have that under control with medication! 👍

View attachment 994986

Glad to hear it's benign. My own small brush with the big C was inconclusive so I have to treat it like I had it for blood donation purposes. Hopefully all stays benign.
Great livery to. Do they know you're rocking it? Might give them a smile and a boost.

Wow!! congrats to you, glad its been a success! Sorry to hear about the slight side effect though. I developed epilepsy as a result of the operation but now have that under control with medication! 👍

it was nothing compared to yours. Mine was in a gland in my neck, only needed about a month of recovery and got a cool scar now.
But was lucky with the side effects, it could have that halve my face would have been parralized as they needed to operate close to a lot of nerves, so a moist pillow in the morning as a side effect is not bad

Nations Yaris Fuji Race

Race 1 was an dumpster fire for me, as someone held me up on the first flying lap, followed by me cutting turn 3 on the next lap, sending me to the back. The race itself was no better, as I got shoved off turn 8's apex on lap 1 to take 1 second penalty for the 'cut', followed by me cutting turn 12's apex the following lap to take another 0.5 second penalty that pretty much ended my race then and there, finishing 19th ahead of someone that binned it midway into the race and had absolutely no pace whatsoever.

IPy8iUT.jpg

Strategy: 7H-6M

Race 2 saw me start down in 16th on Hards after another dismal qualifying. Lap 1 saw the white #13 in 5th lose it out of turn 4, sending the black #4 ahead to another dimension and taking a 3 second penalty for the incident.

8Dv6tj2.jpg

I spent most of the first stint at the back, as everyone insisted on fighting each other instead of keeping up with the leaders. Eventually, things settle down and I take my stop on lap 7 for Mediums. I exit in 16th, trailing behind a pack of cars jockeying for 10th. I caught to the pack on lap 9, taking 15th as he left the door open into turn 8. 14th suffered the same fate into turn 14, and I take 13th via someone serving a track penalty.

On lap 10, I accidentally tap 12th into turn 3, sending him wide with a track penalty. 12th then tried to get alongside 11th through turn 4, but understeers off taking 11th with him.

KYVkoBJ.jpg

The last car to beat for 10th was a familiar friend, HeatAgi. I tried to catch up to him, but he was better at handling the Yaris than I was, and 10th seemed to be out of reach for me.

Meanwhile, 2nd place had racked up 3 seconds of penalties for cutting the apexes of turns 5 and 8, before seemingly giving up by pulling the handbrake into turn 15 and pitching himself into the inside wall before quitting. That promoted me to 10th, and I was able to stay ahead of 11th to take 103 points
i61ogXP.jpg
3cvfNTv.jpg

As for the Manufacturer Series, I'll be siding with Citroen!

0jhbxuB.jpg
7061644215943431708_0.jpg

Last edited:
Really excited for tomorrow's race. Will be eagerly following for reports on how you Asian and Australian folks get on. Interesting to hear what strategies work out best
Well going by Saturday it'll be whoever punts best.
No lets hope for races this time. I'd say doing the longest stint first is best, if that's meds great I'll be doing hards first though as meds are 7 max for me.

No lets hope for races this time. I'd say doing the longest stint first is best, if that's meds great I'll be doing hards first though as meds are 7 max for me.
Yea unfortunately I think you're right, especially when you can't get penalised even if you try. Think mediums for myself first also, but pretty much copying a strategy based on what I see here! Jag tough to save fuel on so it's a tricky one

Starting on Hard tires in an FIA race is brave, they are super cold by the time the intro finishes and your also on the heaviest load of fuel you’ll be carrying all race(basically the slowest combo of tires/fuel possible in this race). I would not suggest starting on hard tires unless you starting in the last couple spots on the grid. 👍

Last edited:
Starting on Hard tires in an FIA race is brave, they are super cold by the time the intro finishes and your also on the heaviest load of fuel you’ll be carrying all race(basically the slowest combo of tires/fuel possible in this race). I would not suggest starting on hard tires unless you starting in the last couple spots on the grid. 👍
Yes I do get your point, the thing is I'm really struggling with tyres so having the meds and softs on the lowest possible weight helps me get a bit more out of them. If I end up close to the front I might try something different. I did test this out and after the first couple of laps the hard were not that much slower than the meds.

Yes I do get your point, the thing is I'm really struggling with tyres so having the meds and softs on the lowest possible weight helps me get a bit more out of them. If I end up close to the front I might try something different. I did test this out and after the first couple of laps the hard were not that much slower than the meds.
Try parking on the track with hards for 3 minutes then go. The first lap will be horror.

This presents a conundrum from a strategy point of view. I am considering running some combo of 7H7M6S. But in the Jag I can only get 13 laps from a tank of fuel. This means either;

a) run hard and soft before refuelling
b) run medium and soft before refuelling
c) refuel twice

i am unlikely to be at the front of the grid and hopefully won't be at the back. So this would suggest my best bet is to do 7M6S7H. My worry is that if things go well, I will spend the last few laps defending against cars on softer compounds in a race where diving and punting goes unpunished. If I run 7H6S7M I should mostly be the one chasing rather than defending.

Decisions, decisions...

This presents a conundrum from a strategy point of view. I am considering running some combo of 7H7M6S. But in the Jag I can only get 13 laps from a tank of fuel. This means either;

a) run hard and soft before refuelling
b) run medium and soft before refuelling
c) refuel twice

i am unlikely to be at the front of the grid and hopefully won't be at the back. So this would suggest my best bet is to do 7M6S7H. My worry is that if things go well, I will spend the last few laps defending against cars on softer compounds in a race where diving and punting goes unpunished. If I run 7H6S7M I should mostly be the one chasing rather than defending.

Decisions, decisions...

You could also possibly go 6S/7H/7M, that way you start on the softer tire, then you can possibly get the Hards out of the way mid race when things are at there most spread out, then back to a softer tire for the finish.

Last edited:
I'm so used to starting my races in RH, I know to take care and not fight to the death. I'm dumping them on Lap 1 anyway. Long pit stop will give me plenty of fresh air.

Just look out for me on the SpacedustDaddy account, in the R.S.01. I'll kindly move over if you're patient.
The Oh5XR8 account is the GR.4 650S only.

I'm in the Vette and I'm looking at 13 laps as well for fuel. 6 laps on the S is all I can get, using a DS4 doesn't help I suppose. I find that I am as fast on M as S after 4 laps in the same conditions, and laps 5 and 6 the Ms are better, 7 is no contest. So for me it is some combination of H and S to start, and finish on Mediums. Will depend on how I qualify.

If not for the punt concerns, I'd start on H and play the long game, having the S to make time in the middle of the race and use the M to hold on at the end, but I think starting on th S and trying to get clear of the back of the pack shenanigans early might be the plan.

Back