2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I'm so used to starting my races in RH, I know to take care and not fight to the death. I'm dumping them on Lap 1 anyway. Long pit stop will give me plenty of fresh air.

Just look out for me on the SpacedustDaddy account, in the R.S.01. I'll kindly move over if you're patient.
The Oh5XR8 account is the GR.4 650S only.
1H? Tyre wear in the RS01 must be phenomenal.

I'm in the Vette and I'm looking at 13 laps as well for fuel. 6 laps on the S is all I can get, using a DS4 doesn't help I suppose. I find that I am as fast on M as S after 4 laps in the same conditions, and laps 5 and 6 the Ms are better, 7 is no contest. So for me it is some combination of H and S to start, and finish on Mediums. Will depend on how I qualify.

If not for the punt concerns, I'd start on H and play the long game, having the S to make time in the middle of the race and use the M to hold on at the end, but I think starting on th S and trying to get clear of the back of the pack shenanigans early might be the plan.
You can shift the Corvette as soon as the red bar begins to fill and will barely lose any speed down the straights (I was 1 mph slower at the start/finish line in race than I was during qualifying), and get roughly 15 laps of fuel out of a tank. The most I've ever gotten was 15.5 laps. I consistently gain about 3s in the pits due to needing way less fuel than everyone else.
After some testing I was finally able to get the Supra from 13 laps to 14 laps on fuel without losing much time. Means I at least have all the tire combinations available as options, depending on where I qualify and how the race is going.
Those were some fun races! You were just out of reach both times. :cheers:. Thanks @Geauxgreddy for hosting!

Last edited:
You can shift the Corvette as soon as the red bar begins to fill and will barely lose any speed down the straights (I was 1 mph slower at the start/finish line in race than I was during qualifying), and get roughly 15 laps of fuel out of a tank. The most I've ever gotten was 15.5 laps. I consistently gain about 3s in the pits due to needing way less fuel than everyone else.
Those were some fun races! You were just out of reach both times. :cheers:. Thanks @Geauxgreddy for hosting!

Knowing I can keep pace and challenge over the long run is what tells me that I have the setup pretty well set now, and knowing at what times to pounce and move forward.

I also found that making the brakes more aggressive on the harder compounds was helpful, at least to me, since you don't have to worry too much about wearing out the Mediums and Hards.

I haven't even tested anything. I'm just diving in.
I admire your bravery.

A single lap on Hards in the Jag would result in carnage as I unsuccessfully tried to nurse tyres and/or fuel. I've done plenty of testing and my results have been;

No more than 13 laps from a tank of fuel. Softs are done after 6 laps. I could squeeze a slow 7th in the last stint but beyond that I'm probably spending more time off-track than on. Mediums can theoretically go to 10 laps, but don't have any speed after 8 and lap 10 is touch and go. Hards will potentially do a full 13 stint, but they're a lot slower than the other compounds when fresh.

My strat options are somewhere within 4-10 on Hards, 5-10 on Mediums and 5-7 on Softs.

I admire your bravery.

A single lap on Hards in the Jag would result in carnage as I unsuccessfully tried to nurse tyres and/or fuel. I've done plenty of testing and my results have been;

No more than 13 laps from a tank of fuel. Softs are done after 6 laps. I could squeeze a slow 7th in the last stint but beyond that I'm probably spending more time off-track than on. Mediums can theoretically go to 10 laps, but don't have any speed after 8 and lap 10 is touch and go. Hards will potentially do a full 13 stint, but they're a lot slower than the other compounds when fresh.

My strat options are somewhere within 4-10 on Hards, 5-10 on Mediums and 5-7 on Softs.
True way members are sp asking about divebombing, carnage, no penalties, all that good sweet stuff, I'll bet on at least me passing one car that has been punted. Now, Su Ely, it depends who are in my room. It's possible, I might be the one punted, starting on RH.

Anywho, I've had races where I got rid of a compound early. It allowed me to be ahead by one stop. The new pit stop times, seem to throw that out the window. No doubt, the way I'm running, will depend where I start. If I'm not starting last and am a good deal quicker than the actual last placed car, I may have a good result.

Hopefully, my race is clean and I have a good replay to watch afterwards. 👍

My manufacturer - signed in a hurry:
7350456242674893332_0.jpg

*sigh* This is going to be interesting. For me in the F-Type, my Mediums at the beginning with full fuel load start falling off a cliff at the end of the 6th lap, and my Softs with low fuel load start falling off a cliff at the end of the 6th lap as well. The Hards start getting slower than very worn Mediums and Softs after the 7th lap on a low fuel load. Luckily I can fuel save enough to stretch the fuel to 14 laps so I can play around with tire combinations if needed, but I'm not sure which minimizes time loss.

I'm thinking of 6M/7S/7H, unless I start from the back, where I'm thinking of maybe 6H/7M/7S, although I won't be able to test this out due to time. I'm thinking the lower fuel load will let me eek out another lap on the Mediums if I don't start on them.

This presents a conundrum from a strategy point of view. I am considering running some combo of 7H7M6S. But in the Jag I can only get 13 laps from a tank of fuel. This means either;

a) run hard and soft before refuelling
b) run medium and soft before refuelling
c) refuel twice

i am unlikely to be at the front of the grid and hopefully won't be at the back. So this would suggest my best bet is to do 7M6S7H. My worry is that if things go well, I will spend the last few laps defending against cars on softer compounds in a race where diving and punting goes unpunished. If I run 7H6S7M I should mostly be the one chasing rather than defending.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm able to get 14.5 laps or so out of the F-Type by shifting at 50%-60% (where the Gear Shift number ends), if that can help you with fuel saving at all. I don't believe I'm losing too much time doing this.

Hope I don't get booted. Definitely won't be racing that second slot.

Edit: How about that? I jump in for a Race B 5 minutes before the start. With 3 minutes counting down, I get the PlayStation N error.
Jumped back in. Let's see if I can start after warm up.

Last edited:
Hi! I did few practice races, tested 4 cars, Corvette, Lancer, NSX and a Mustang... I dont know what I was thinking signing contract with Ford:confused:
I was completly sober:lol: It is bad on fuel it is bad on tyres.. Today I will try to survive and not loose many DR... At least its short season

*sigh* This is going to be interesting. For me in the F-Type, my Mediums at the beginning with full fuel load start falling off a cliff at the end of the 6th lap, and my Softs with low fuel load start falling off a cliff at the end of the 6th lap as well. The Hards start getting slower than very worn Mediums and Softs after the 7th lap on a low fuel load. Luckily I can fuel save enough to stretch the fuel to 14 laps so I can play around with tire combinations if needed, but I'm not sure which minimizes time loss.

I'm thinking of 6M/7S/7H, unless I start from the back, where I'm thinking of maybe 6H/7M/7S, although I won't be able to test this out due to time. I'm thinking the lower fuel load will let me eek out another lap on the Mediums if I don't start on them.

I'm able to get 14.5 laps or so out of the F-Type by shifting at 50%-60% (where the Gear Shift number ends), if that can help you with fuel saving at all. I don't believe I'm losing too much time doing this.

I can only get 13 in custom race short shifting at the same spot as you in the rev counter. At full noise I use 9% per lap, at the end of the gear indicator it’s 7.5% and if I shift at halfway it’s a bit under 7%. There’s almost no difference in time between full noise and 60%. Shifting at halfway is considerably slower.

I must be harder on the throttle in some places?

30 minutes til race entry. Turned off my PS4. Turned it back on. Deleted temporaty data(924mb). I'm hardwired to my router. Contoller charging. Getting close to bedtime. These late starts better be worth it.
Good luck, I hope you avoid any carnage similar to the Nations race.

I can’t do first session. 2nd will be my first one then 3rd if I really ruin the first try. I expect to see almost exclusively Japanese opponents by session 3.

I am very heartened to see that your and my qualy times are within a couple of hundredths. Our hard tyre times are also very close. I must be on track pace wise.

I'm so used to starting my races in RH, I know to take care and not fight to the death. I'm dumping them on Lap 1 anyway.
Good luck with that, Vantage and me suck on tyres so having to go 9H/6M/5S and honestly every set has at best 1 more decent lap in them but they are all drop off.

Anyhoo D18 and Q7 in a 67 point game, about the same as Saturday then...hope that's the only similarity. Should have done a better Q, but getting a space to run was tricky and 5 mins means no second chances, but same for all and it's good it's hard to Q well. Don't have a livery on and wondering if this will affect my performance? Well bad start, spoiled by 2 idiots fighting on cold tyres, they pass me 1 spins off and the other slows me down for 4-5 laps. I pass, but he slips me on the straight and I get the choice of let him through or get punted. Got pushed off track after 1st pit stop and came 7th. Without the push off, bad driving not intentional I think, I would have been 4th as there was only 3 secs between 4th and 7th and I would have got the undercut at the 2nd stop. You don't know what happened to the rest, but I had faster best lap than the 3 of them. Still 50 points and didn't lose any position, never dropped further than 15 secs off the leader (pit adjusted). All in all a good race, even if I only really raced 1 guy and after the stops it was obvious I should beat him. Think I was the only hard starter and it didn't hurt too much at the beginning ( a little true) and it really helped carve through the slower cars at the stops.

Disco Stew will make a dive on you.
I dare you not to read it in his voice. :mischievous:
It actually did into the final turn. I passed it earlier on RS, before my last stop. I pitted for Rs and caught the M6. The Viper came out on fresh RS. Still made the dive(with no dramas, but still could have waited). This car ain't fast in a fuel/tyre wear race. I'll leave it at that.

Some started on RS. SOme on RM. Running to about Lap 5 to Lap 6. Worn RS, versus the other two compunds, still have more performace. I was pulling away from cars on fresh RMs. Anyway, no dramas.

EvjJ3yTVoAEYAmq

EvjJxQrU4AE42qH

549F78B4-D015-4028-9B1D-99AC13BE6479.jpeg

6th place and fastest lap. That will do for a first race!

2561DEF4-E572-4B1A-B9E5-B5F1AED152DC.jpeg

Recognised a few of the names. Qualified 6th, started on Mediums and lost a place at T1 as I braked too early worrying about cold tires. Got back into 6th 2 laps later as someone spun. Lap 6, all cars in front were on Softs and pitted leaving me leading for a lap. Came in for Hards and had to top fuel up by a couple of laps. Came out in 10th in a pack. Lap 9, following an NSX towards T1, he briefly disappeared and then reappeared flying off the track. I got a 3 second penalty for apparently punting him off. So thanks to a huge bit of lag! Pitted lap 15 for Softs and fuel, came out in 12th. Put in fastest lap as I flew past hard tire strugglers.

Did annoyingly get repeatedly dived and bumped from behind by one known ‘Serious’ Aston driver. No pens of course.

Guy who finished 2nd started 16th!!!

C08DC0D9-F005-4330-9867-68DF3B2DD8E7.jpeg

4th place, 147 points and I’m one and done. The Jag was a beast here.

Found myself in the same split as @RX8 Racer (nice to meet you).

Astonishingly was Q2 so ran softs first. With the other 3 at the front we got out to a few seconds clear of the pack on the first lap and avoided any real fun and games. Only one of the front 4 didn’t understand race craft and we just let him get in front and use all his fuel.

Pitted after 6 to put on hards and embarked on the toughest part of the race as most of the pack had stayed out and I found myself in p16 with a few “characters” surrounding me. Managed to avoid any serious damage (a moron who tried to punt me either missed or ghosted and got a 2 second penalty for his troubles). By the time I came in again on lap 13 I was back up to 6th.

Had a horrible moment in the pits where I couldn’t remember which compounds I had used. Thank god for the longer pit entry times! Threw on Mediums and went out to find myself in p15 and tried to chase down as many as possible. Once everyone had finished putting I was back in 5th and started the final lap with enough fuel to do one last full throttle run. At the double left hander the pressure got to p3 and he ended up off the track leaving me in 4th with open air and a Lambo finishing on soft tyres gaining. I managed to defend through the final 3 turns and the Jag’s straight line pull got me home in 4th with 0% fuel left.

Overall it was a massively enjoyable race and the various pit strategies make for some open and entertaining racing.

Last edited:
Really fun combo, new strategy options are a very welcome stir up of the old formula which I think was getting very stale.

Won both my attempts in the Jag for a meh 170-odd points. I'd stay and see if I'd match in a higher bracket but honestly cbf with these times for AUS.

Anyway get around the big cats for this season:
8071027776415598100_0.jpg

BFB714AA-4208-4A02-9940-E7505006420C.jpeg

In with @RX8 Racer with no.4 on the door. Had a disaster in qualifying, getting a track limit pen on both lap attempts so started 19/19 :banghead:

Started on Hards and made a couple of places before pitting lap 8 for Mediums. Should have come in lap 14 for Softs but got distracted seeing I was leading the race so stayed out too lap 15. Chased down cars in front in last laps and possibly would have caught one or two if I had pitted a lap earlier. Disappointed I blew qualifying and a potential high finish but could have been worse! Hyundai not the fastest but feels planted even on worn Hards.

Back