2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Got 3 penalties like this one (after starting on pole) dropped to SR 82 so can't do slot 2:

It said "Forcing another car off track" - where?

Yeah, that’s rough.

That being said, I think you were following the GT-R too closely in clip 1, considering that he already had a 1 second penalty. You would have been able to mug him after the Lesmos with a bit of patience.

EDIT: I watched clip 1 again, and I’m pretty sure that stab of the throttle you made just before taking the right apex did you in. That looked like it sent you right into the GT-R’s rear, and the penalty system took offence to that.

Last edited:
Mixed lobby of S to D rank drivers thanks to a lower SR and last slot, so points available weren’t great.

CAFA7998-BB30-48A2-A255-ECE00EA308F2.jpeg

5C0100E1-0201-4C5A-971F-309B7F3DA52D.jpeg

Qualified 4th and had moved up to 3rd early on. Stayed there for almost the whole race, occasionally swapping with a Beetle. 3 laps to go, 2nd place who was about 5 seconds ahead of me made a mistake and got dragged into our chasing group of 2/3. Then I completely missed my braking point for parabolica :banghead:. Got caught and passed up the straight and was down to 7th and out of slipstream. Then on the last lap, the wonderful sight of 2 cars in the gravel at 2 different corners allowing me to finish 5t!

Last session of Round 2, racing against top division, qualified in 5th and I managed to finish 4th. The points weren't high only scored 209 pts. Nothing much happened in the race for me expect I almost got wiped out after a dude behind me missed his braking point. Btw, the Ford GT was really phenomenal in a straight line and slipstream I almost caught up to 3rd being just 2 seconds behind later in the race but I didn't have good pace, was being too careful not to cut a corner.

Slot 1 - D I S C O N N E C T E D

Saw that, you got DC'd pretty much straight away, right? You left Muffin as the only Hyundai driver LOL.

What on earth are Twitchy and Dylan doing in that lobby ?!?! Big DR/SR reset?

How did they go? Surely it would've been a comeback rampage for those 2, driving off into the distance...

Last session of Round 2, racing against top division, qualified in 5th and I managed to finish 4th. The points weren't high only scored 209 pts. Nothing much happened in the race for me expect I almost got wiped out after a dude behind me missed his braking point. Btw, the Ford GT was really phenomenal in a straight line and slipstream I almost caught up to 3rd being just 2 seconds behind later in the race but I didn't have good pace, was being too careful not to cut a corner.

Pretty sure that's not top split. Points on offer there was only 238, that's a typical second split points haul. If it's the last session, that might be the top of the session (last of the top drivers looking for good points after bad races 1 and 2).

But if you've got Kappa and MetalGear and Rangerous and GTMAG and Man-Kini in there you've done real well to score a good finishing position.

My race was the 2nd split, racing for ~250pts in race 1. 10 on the door of the Corvette.

Qualified 3rd behind the (brace yourselves) R4M team front-row-lockout. Another Corvette in 5th behind me, and a Jag (I think) in between in 4th.

Race starts, instantly the top few break off, 1 sec to me, 1 sec from me to fourth. Power my way into the slipstream just in time to look back and see carnage. A corvette gets sent to the shadow realm behind me at curva grande. R4M still 1-2.

~L3, the inevitable happens, both R4M players bottle it repeatedly, one into the ether at T1, one eaten by the penalty zone. By this point, Muffin and the Jag have caught up and are in my tow. Muffin started ~10th so very well done.

Jag gets a (1s?) penalty for such a tiny transgression first chicane, drops off. Muffin and I trade slipstreams for ~8 laps. Muffin gets a little sideways out of Ascari, I jump on the brakes to avoid him, after the race the Jag driver makes a comment about me brake-checking on L11, think this is what he's talking about. start lap 12 line astern.

Slipstream past Muffin lap 12, and I think the jag makes a mistake at the chicane? He drops off, Muffin and I go back to trading slipstream. 100% gentlemanly. This slowly costs us time and the Jag is on a charge.

Last lap, at Ascari, both Muffin (p2) and the Jag (p3) get a run on me (p1) on exit. I hold far inside, Muffin has the grip and tyres to go round the outside at parabolica.
We go in 2-wide.
Coming out, he's about a car ahead of me, but due to dirty tyres (lefts onto the marbles?) he starts to push wide, gets off the gas for about 1 frame.
I'm on the inside on full power in the Vette on full power, we draw even.
The Jag, which I hadn't expected, got 2 wheels on the grass on the inside and there's contact with my back right, by back left slaps Muffin's backside a little as I briefly get yeeted sideways and we all lose speed.
Drag race side-by-side to the line.

I win, Muffin + 0.04s behind me, the Jag another 0.06 behind Muffin.

255 pts for the win, very nice! Muffin got ~245 for 2nd in the Hyundai, a good score for that car.

I save a screenshot of the win, save the last 15min from the share option, then as I go to save the replay, GTSport crashes.
I asked Muffin and he saved it and sent it to me later.

So I don't get to see what the Jag driver said post-race. Also I can't remember his name, either.
I said to Muffin, 100% best race I've been in, in terms of sportsmanship. No nonsense from either of us, very fair, left a ton of room whenever we could, no dumb moves into curva grande or any chicanes. 11/10 would race with again. <3

Well completely bottled qualifying to start in P18. Good lap 1 and laughing at half the field crashing at curva grande on lap 1 put me up to 9th. A series of stupid little penalties for track limits and one as a Corvette ahead lost it at ascari, hitting me in the process (not there fault) gave me a 3 second penalty. P16 for 50 points in the Ferrari. Want to go again as if I keep my nose clean I should be on for a good result.

Wasn't really feeling it when I set the wheel up earlier, which is annoying given how good a combo Monza and the GT-R is. Decided to just go for it in qualifying, went out first and did this on my second lap:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20201202161252.jpg

I actually lost the slip of the McLaren (F1) going into Curva Grande. The Merc took him out at the chicane and got a penalty. McLaren had a wiggle at the chicane on lap 2 and I took the lead. The BMW in 3rd who had been driving smart when we were bunched up in corners got a penalty for hitting the McLaren through the first Lesmo, and the McLaren got one at Ascari on the same lap.

The BMW went far too deep at the chicane on lap 3 which I didn't realise until now, he did well to avoid hitting me. A few more penalties meant a Spaniard in a Ford GT was in 2nd and pushing hard. Got a penalty on lap 6 then another before the line on lap 7, he went backwards. At this point it was up to a Portuguese in a Corvette to chase me and we were pretty even with a gap of 1.5-2 seconds until lap 11 where he almost lost it coming out of the second Lesmo. As I was being more cautious in the final laps he started flashing his lights on the straights despite being about 3 seconds behind me, I enjoyed that.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20201202164300.jpg

Highest ever FIA score, a shame my rating was so low after the Yaris race at the weekend. A big thanks too to @Tidgney who mentioned the frame rate/image quality setting in a recent stream which made me check and realise it had been on the quality setting. I choose to believe all those missed frames are what's been holding me back all these years.

First race. Quali was a disaster, got stuck behind two guys who were attempting to go side by side through the whole lap. I ended up with a track limit penalty and not enough time to set a quali time.

Started P20. By the end of lap 1, up to P6. Caught by a viper, didn't fight, let him through and just hung on to his slipstream.

Eventually lost ground on P6. But a comfortable P7, not the best points. But a good result for the Atenza.

Probably go again, but not sure I'll get any more points on this one.

EDIT: Should not have gone again lol. Lost about 60 points... oh well. Hahaha

Last edited:
View attachment 975805

OMG OMG I’ve only just gone and won my first ever FIA race!!!! :lol::D:cheers::gtpflag: I can’t believe it!!

View attachment 975804

Took the lead on lap 1 and stayed there the whole time! Jelly hands for most of it :lol:

Right, I’m going again! Only joking haha!

View attachment 975806

Wasn't really feeling it when I set the wheel up earlier, which is annoying given how good a combo Monza and the GT-R is. Decided to just go for it in qualifying, went out first and did this on my second lap:

View attachment 975807

I actually lost the slip of the McLaren (F1) going into Curva Grande. The Merc took him out at the chicane and got a penalty. McLaren had a wiggle at the chicane on lap 2 and I took the lead. The BMW in 3rd who had been driving smart when we were bunched up in corners got a penalty for hitting the McLaren through the first Lesmo, and the McLaren got one at Ascari on the same lap.

The BMW went far too deep at the chicane on lap 3 which I didn't realise until now, he did well to avoid hitting me. A few more penalties meant a Spaniard in a Ford GT was in 2nd and pushing hard. Got a penalty on lap 6 then another before the line on lap 7, he went backwards. At this point it was up to a Portuguese in a Corvette to chase me and we were pretty even with a gap of 1.5-2 seconds until lap 11 where he almost lost it coming out of the second Lesmo. As I was being more cautious in the final laps he started flashing his lights on the straights despite being about 3 seconds behind me, I enjoyed that.

View attachment 975808

Highest ever FIA score, a shame my rating was so low after the Yaris race at the weekend. A big thanks too to @Tidgney who mentioned the frame rate/image quality setting in a recent stream which made me check and realise it had been on the quality setting. I choose to believe all those missed frames are what's been holding me back all these years.
Congrats to both of you! I'm hoping for similar success today.

I got my first dr reset after 3 years of driving
That sucks. My last DR reset actually happened earlier this year at this exact track during the RB Jr. Daily Race. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

8B45D992-0B33-4E86-A8B7-DE94206A2D3B.jpeg

Was quietly confident of picking up a win here as it’s one of my strongest tracks and the Aston is quick. Ended up qualifying dead last 19/19 with no time after ploughing into someone who just stopped dead in front of me for no reason after Lesmo.

Watched with amusement about 6 cars flying off at curva grande until one came back on, I clipped him and picked up 3 seconds. After that, just went for it, kept it clean and worked my way up into 4th by lap 8 and then well clear of 5th. Couldn’t make up the time gap to 3rd of 5 seconds so settled for 4th. Would go again but from just that one penalty at T1 I’ve been put down to SR B. Going to take forever to build that back up!!

Last edited:
Since my Gr.3 race is in the past. :sly: Thought I'd jump in for next week's FP, to get the tyre brand back on my Gr.4 car.:lol:

Now, Rangeraus is fast. What does this mean with me in 3rd? After 3 laps, optimum is a .706. I was aiming for the Vantage, due to its straightline speed.
EoQNDsyVcAAALBE

Slot 2 EMEA: Q10, P10, 3 points for Honda, 78 DR points, loss of 17 SR (finished at 82).

Good race overall, better than expected. I spent the entire race bouncing between 9th to 12th. No major problems experienced except was the victim of possible 2 brake checks from a particular German driver (I say possible because they braked dead center between T2 and T3 twice), an unknown side contact penalty (also between T2 and T3) which was also came with an SR down. A few track limit penalties (corner cutting) but no crashes or off track problems. Yeah!

Most of the race was between a Mercedes and myself swapping positions every few laps with my go ahead pass on L14.

Better race than I thought and would run it again.

Everyone enjoy your racing!

Well didn't do as well as most here, but was happy with my result. Ground to get up to DR C so I had a chance at a few extra points although I knew it was going to be tough, not helped by picking VW which isn't really great on this track. Still managed to get 15th on the grid in my No. 20 car so not a bad start, then just tried my best to keep it clean, let the fast guys go past and try to use as much slipstream as possible. Managed to get 10th out of the 14 left so feel I as least didn't embarrass myself and am happy to have bagged 21 points. Look out you lot I'm coming for you!!!!

Decided late last night that Monza would work well for both Fords, so signed up for them once more and entered the 16:00 Manufacturers slot. Following on from the main 2020 season, I went with the GT LM again as the Mustang generally felt less pleasant to drive through Curva Grande.

16:00 Manufacturers
Met @Hasnain282 and @ionstriker alongside an orange M&Ms Mustang driven by a very familiar face in the wider sim-racing community. In total, there were four Fords on the grid (two Mustangs, two GTs), with one of the former (a grey, yellow and white car driven by another high-profile racer) qualifying 5th overall behind a Viper, Beetle, 911 and M6 Walkenhorst. My priority at first was to get clear laps while also giving Hasnain a tow, though I had to abandon that strategy after missing my braking point at Roggia. With Hasnain clear and a track limits penalty served, I eventually recovered to set a 1:39.139 - just under a tenth faster than my quickest in the Mustang in practice - to start 12th.

Monza's reputation - and the orange M&Ms driver's stance on driving standards - added extra pressure for me not to slip up and accidentally initiate contact between other players. The M6 touches the gravel and spins out at Curva Grande, followed by another WRX in rally livery who proceeds to swipe across the track. I was lucky to avoid both, but had to take the wrong line through Roggia as the M&Ms Mustang was ready to pounce on the inside. Unfortunately, I had no idea that the WRX was following through as well, so there was a tiny bit of contact which sent him into another slide and allowed an Aston Martin to join the fight. Said Aston proceeds to force me onto the grass the next time we go through Curva Grande, leading to a bumper car effect which gives the Italian Viper behind me a 1-second penalty. The next lap, I get a nice cutback on the Aston to Roggia, just as I see the next group of cars (including Hasnain and the M&Ms Mustang) bunch up in front. The M&Ms car receives a 3-second penalty in the middle of a squabble between two BMWs.

20201202185009.jpg

20201202185049.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm still fighting the Aston for what is now 9th, but eventually he loses out in slipstream as the other GT LM follows me through. A penalty for the vanilla M6 Walkenhorst allows me to cruise up into 8th, though I continued to be pressured for a while before penalties helped disperse the pack. Got into the same groove as in practice, setting a few consistent high-1:39s before the Italian Viper, now recovering, slipstreams his way through. I felt sorry for him after the Lap 2 shindig, so was happy to give him the room into Ascari and take his tow. When my first attempts to slingshot back past failed - before Parabolica, then the pit straight - I came to the realisation that his tow alone was helping me pull away from the M6 and later the blue McLaren. As a result, when I fought the Viper a few more times, I was still maintaining a gap of at least 2-2.5 seconds before he finally conceded the place two laps from the end.

20201202185057.jpg

20201202185104.jpg

I was fairly content with my position no matter who was in front, but later on in the same lap, a Citroen running in 3rd throws a big tank-slapper on the exit of Lesmo 1. Another place gifted under braking for Ascari, but then he and the Viper proceed to sniff my diffuser for a short while. When the Austrian Peugeot in 6th picked up a track limits penalty, there was a chance to make up more ground and indeed I came close to fulfilling it on the last run to Roggia. Backed out and let the Peugeot take the racing line, only to then be nudged over the kerb by the Viper who himself is busy defending from the Citroen not too far behind. An awkward and somewhat rather clumsy moment for both of us; despite getting a clean pass done at Lesmo 1, the Viper ended up worse off as he got slapped with a 2-second penalty. The Citroen, meanwhile, respawns upon cutting across the escape road, ending any chance of him finishing better than 10th. Their problems left me to hunt the Peugeot alone, who pipped me to the post by just under a tenth.

20201202185112.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20201202164219.png

All in all, an exhausting but worthwhile return. Especially pleased to see Ford having a sizeable representation here - including two drivers with a strong YouTube presence - and to have the highest-starting Mustang finish 2nd behind an all-conquering Viper. There were a few rough spots throughout and moments where I thought my generous use of the Roggia kerbs would have handed me a penalty, but thankfully nothing too serious to undermine my overall pace. Hoping to fit in at least one or two more Gr.3 rounds in during the Christmas holiday, but probably not any from Gr.4 as I'm not sure whether the Mustang will be competitive enough for the upcoming combos.

Last edited:
Streaming the last 2 slots as always if you want some entertainment! Bound to pleb it at some point!

Congrats, and no worries at all :D!

One and done for me. I was door #2 but due to traffic I only managed a time ~1.2 seconds slower than my best FP time. If I'd gotten clean air and done a more normal lap I would've started around P3-P5.

But I think it was a good thing I started P11! After Curva Grande I was already up into P5 because of a cluster of cars going out of control on their cold tyres. I was too far back to see what happened but by the time I got there the track was littered with ghost cars. After that I was under a little bit of pressure from an RSR behind me, which was exacerbated by me struggling a bit to keep the Lexus under control on hard tyres. No biggies though, as by lap 3 I was opening the gap behind me steadily. I was just out of the slipstream of the car ahead, but the gap was holding steady.

Then around the middle of the race, the race leader messed up exiting Ascari and I was up into P4. Not sure if that rattled the AMG in front of me but he started making some mistakes, notably he had a hard time through Roggia and I was able to close the gap down to where I was within slipstream. I was biding my time though, and then on lap 10 or 11 he messed up the exit of Lesmo 2 and I was able to overtake him and keep him behind me as I started closing the gap to the two cars in the lead.

There weren't enough laps left to close the gap entirely though, even though they got into a scrap on lap 14 and both served penalties. The car in P2 grabbed a further 0.5s penalty on lap 15 but I was a bit too far behind to pass him when he served it. I opted to back off instead of jeopardize my podium.

Really happy with that result. I was also one of four cars who finished the race completely without penalties, which I'm happy about because it's been a struggle during practice to drive clean laps.

What a disaster.

slot 1 qualified 3rd, p1 went wide into Curva Grande and... I followed him :banghead:
several more moments over the first two laps left me last, made my way up to 12th, battled with a few guys with good clean fun and finished 13th.

"I can do better" I thought :lol:

slot 2 qualified 13th due to other drivers insisting on sticking to the racing line when they have clearly messed up their flying lap. pushed wide at Curva Grande and made an absolute mess of getting going again. finished dead last.

slot 3 qualified 2nd, managed NOT to go off at CG :D, then proceeded to get some of the most ridiculous penalties I have ever received, lap after lap after lap. finished 17th

Not going again, both my SR and DR are now firmly wedged in the toilet, I started last week B/S, I'm now D/B.

I got one lap in Q because a Lambo pulled out right in front of me from the pits when I was on my fast lap. So restarted qualfying and managed a single limping lap. Q14,door #15.
When I pass Curva Grande L2 there are wrecks everywhere. I come into the Roggia complex as p5. Had an RSR hot om my heels so let him pass, then hung on. We where side by side coming into Lesmo 2 on lap 2, I can imagine him swearing in his seat, I was inside and we went through with no contact at all. I backed down a tiny bit before Lesmo 2, as he had a penalty, but unfortunately so did he..
So there where contact, enough to make him do a slide but stay on track. Once I knew he was still there I snuck past but he turned in on me. The Penalty Zone saved me though.
Chased a Beetle for s few laps, got in his slip and was right behind through Curva Grande but chose not to try and pass.
Then I got a .5 track penalty.
In the end I was passed out of Lesmo two by an R8 so hung behind him to the finish line, as p7
PS_App_20201202_074124.jpeg

Tonight's FIA race but edited down to just the ********:

Somehow I managed to start on pole with the slowest car on the grid and stayed in the top 3 for most of the race. Then it went to rubbish:

• Following a laggy car is now a 2 second penalty
  • Peugeot driver does Peugeot things
  • Unexpected braking? Blame the car behind...
  • Crash ahead, have a penalty
  • Lexus leaves a cars width but only if you're willing to use the grass

10th place and 150 points but should've been more. Crap BOP, crap connections, crap penalties and crap driving.

well, that was horrible...

qualifying did not go well, a car ahead went of track costing my first lap and similar thing in lap 2. I was about 6 tenths slower then in the practice lobbies and started 14th. all went well in the first chicane and kept my place as three cars just behind me all missed the corner and went into the gravel.
Later in the lap i felt like i witnessed a fight between football hooligans in front of me, a lot of cars pushing each other off the track and as i avoided all the lunacy suddenly i was in fifth place when an Aston with a nice looking John Player livery attempted to pass me on the outside of the variante Ascari, we made contact and i got a ridiculous 4 second penalty, which pretty much ruined any chance of a decent result.

afer serving it i was 11th and in the middle of the same fight i was behind in the first lap. witnessed really filfthy driving and almost no penalties given then. In the end a Porsche pushed me in the gravel in that same variante Ascari and offcourse no penalty for him. finished 15th and so sick and tyred of the totally broken penalty system. with Willow and Blue Moon coming not sure if I will do these races, think they are a recipe for disaster.

upload_2020-12-2_22-36-26.png

What on earth are Twitchy and Dylan doing in that lobby ?!?! Big DR/SR reset?

I dropped more SR in slot 1 than I have in probably 1.5 years, so if I entered slot 2 I would have been in that race as well.

Pretty sure that's not top split. Points on offer there was only 238, that's a typical second split points haul. If it's the last session, that might be the top of the session (last of the top drivers looking for good points after bad races 1 and 2).

But if you've got Kappa and MetalGear and Rangerous and GTMAG and Man-Kini in there you've done real well to score a good finishing position.

It is split 1, be it final time slot in an exhibition season in OCE

Slot 1 for top split was 347 points so most people didn't run again after that.

Can't say it was a very enjoyable combination, unless you were driving a bona fide power car.

Manufacturer round 2 - Hyundai at Monza

I don't like this layout of the track, bagged about 10 minutes on timetrial on Sunday and put a 1.38.5 and then today I entered the first slot of the day after finishing a work meeting 20 minutes earlier. So all in all, not enough practice, a circuit calling for trouble, and a car that I am not familiar with. What could go wrong?

Quali went really well, after the first run I was pole(1.39.1), but I did not manage to improve my laps and there were faster driver around me. I started P6 and the plan was, brake early, avoid penalties (I was sure there would be a lot of them) and avoid fighting. The leading pack of 5 cars managed to break away and put about 2.5s gap, and I was in a 4 car pack sharing the track with 2 Astons and 1 Corvette. I kept the pace consistent, avoiding fights, only pass on the start/finish straight and be passed back at the same time. As I was being pretty cautious in the first chicane to avoid penalties, I invited the others to try to pass and outbrake me. Of course, they got penalties for cutting the chicane and by lap 7 it was only me and the Spanish driver in a JKT Aston. Pretty happy with my P6 at the time, so kept it steady. 2 laps later, the Aston gets a penalty and I manage to break away in P6, and right the next lap the Corvette in P5 gets a 2.5s penalty and I manage to pass as he served it. It was just enough to break the slipstream - then kept a solid pace for the last 4-5 laps and finished the race in P5. +800 DR and 183 points - not enough to improve my 197 points from the first round but good points based on the expectations for this race.

As is my Monza tradition, I skipped qualifying and started last in the Mazda. I was 15th after passing ghosts along Serraglio because of a pile-up at the corner prior although I had a Viper on my tail. He caught up in slipstream, I was close behind for 5 laps while working with him playing catch up to a gap ahead of us. That is before he ice skated at the first chicane pushing me off in the process, a complete accident but significantly lowered our chances of catching up. I lost around 6 secs while he got a 2 sec penalty. After serving it, he swerve blocks a 911 behind picking up another penalty then powerslides at Parabolica taking himself out and the 911 along with him then ragequits. /facepalm So I'm given back those places I lost because of idiocy.

I later caught up to a BMW that got a track penalty on the last lap and took home 13th for 96p. I thought of going again since my pace wasn't too bad running mid 40s but I figured it could had gone a lot worse, being Monza and all.

Back