2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I think the overlap is absolutely appropriate. Provides a better points battle as it rewards those lower rated a chance at a higher ranking if they win races.

Having some overlap is reasonable...

But is it really representative when scoring a win in 3rd split will get you more points than scoring P8 (of 20 cars) in top split, in the highest points race of the night?

It just feels a bit silly when the race winning time in lower splits can be 15-20 seconds slower than top split.

Yes!!!

First slot in the Americas with an A+ lobby. Top 5 finish with 209 points for Jaguar!

I practiced a good deal for this race between chasing Deafsun’s ghost, to custom races, to lobbies. I ran a 1:45.5 in FP and could consistently maintain low 47s in race trim. I’ve struggled translating that into qualifying pace and that trend continued here.

Q9 on a 1:46.7. Final turn going into my hot lap was compromised by a concertina effect, but I also made mistakes setting up for the esses and lifted too much for the chicane. It still put me in position to achieve my original goal of a top ten, but also set a new goal for top five.

Clean start and made a pass on an AMG in the final turn of lap 1 for P8. Quickly closed on P7 in another AMG and took them at the hairpin on lap 2. A M4 and a 458 were battling for P5 which allowed me to catch up. A couple laps of biding my time and the 458 went deep in the hairpin and I made the pass.

We had a good, clean battle for a couple laps with some back and forth, but this let the M4 build a gap. Meanwhile, the Jag in P2 eats wall at the CoD. Then the 458 misses their braking point into turn 5 and he got smaller in my rear view. Spent the last few laps focusing on consistency and brought it home P5.

Practice paid off in consistent race pace and I feel these points were earned. I’d like to race again, but not worth the risk. Good luck to everyone still to run.
2CC5B4E9-CE5B-46EC-B326-2F02A694E971.jpeg
D6576D39-4737-4247-9918-2653EC24206B.jpeg
BEA0450C-4137-42C0-8595-74796CB8F6AC.jpeg

i think this was 3rd split , qualified 3rd and lap 1 i blinked to let a Brazilian behind get by because I didn’t want any surprises, so i was just focusing on not dying , after a lot of bump-draft we pulled a nice 3+ gap to 5th who was working together with 6th aswell,

Then the Brazilian started fighting with 2nd, i didn’t want to take any part of that because I thought 4th was enough and i was there to take advantage anyway incase things get too ugly, unfortunately for me they held their ground pretty well ,could’ve been a podium if i tried enough but after all this Feels like a redemption after my Nation’s Woes

Last edited:
1st race punted on final turn Q lap, was going to be a good one for me too. Q19. Then after working up to P12 disco on lap 4. Had to run out for food, so came back for race 3, door 19 Q3, things are looking up. After outbraking myself at seaside hairpin on lap3, back to 5th. A couple laps later, Cayman behind dive bombs as we enter the esses, and I am in the grass and around to DFL minus one, finish in 11. So frustrating.

One more go.

Last edited:
Ran slots 1 & 3 tonight, both A/S lobbies ~31.4K DR

Slot 1, Door 4, Q12, P10, 153 points to win - mostly forgettable, except I felt I showed decent enough pace. Clipped the COD on lap 1 while running 10th fell to 14th. Got punted (by accident, I'm pretty sure) at the downhill hairpin on lap 3 to fall to 16th. Worked my way through the pack to take 10th at the last corner. 95 points and 50(!) DR.

Slot 3, Door 2, Q6, P1, 152 points to win - got a decent tow for qualy this time to start 6th, 0.4 off pole. Lap one, someone ahead lost it in the esses, and 2 more of the pack ahead crashed on their own on lap 2, leaving me in 3rd. Got a great run out of the COD on lap 3 to pass 2nd at the last turn and was catching the leader. Ran him down at the start of lap 4 and never really looked back. Built a gap to 5 seconds and won by 4 at the end.

152 points, 1,500 DR ~32.9K, win #62 and FIA win #5. Very happy with the result after the disaster that was Nations Cup. :)

Both races seemed very clean and pretty tight, at least from my perspective.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210310211836.jpg

The winning pass on lap 4:

20210310213802.jpg

Snuck into the first slot for my first race in this short Manufacturers Series season. I like this track and have had success here, but haven’t raced it in Gr4 in the Porsche before, IIR. Qualified 7th, well off the best FP time I set in the pre race session, but the grip was way down for everyone and I was happy with that starting position. Just wanted a top 10, with my DR at an all time high, looking to protect it or nudge it up. Didn’t see any GTP or familiar names on the grid, and there was a lot of stupidity on the track for qualifying, including purposeful and ignorant blocking in some key spots.

Worked safely up to 4th after the start, then lost some spots to the bullying tactics allowed in the new penalty environment, til I learned to push back, fell again to 8th, then settled in and hoped for COD to gift me a position or two if I was careful. Ran down 7th with two laps to go, but the GTR was dirty, and he threw a very late block in the braking zone at the back hairpin, as you approach the coast, and then he made a mistake at the exit of the COD but it resulted in me getting the worst of his rear bumper, and not only protecting his position, but costing me my own as I had to gather up the tank-slapper that followed, ending up in 9th, just out of reach of the GTR, who had earned a penalty on the last lap, which nearly put him behind me. Oh well, positive DR, in a dreadful lobby full of spazzes from the whole of the Western Hemisphere, not terrible for being rusty after so much time off, and in a car that is underpowered and vulnerable to the new “push to pass” tactics allowed by the revised penalty algorithms.

Last edited:
Good evening friends,
I just finished my race at Seaside running the gr4 vette (not a car I like much but the track is always worth racing.)
Anyways I began ninth with a 46.6.
I was shocked at race start at being able to pull to the inside of the 86 into turn one!
The 86 made like he was gonna just yield but the gosh darn guy held his line! So we went side by side no big and continue the train.
I had a Lexus and AMG hot on my heels but I know what to do here...
Lexus made a great move from the outside into turn one, I was forced to relent by turn 4...
Sitting ninth. Chasin.
The Lexus eventually gets by the 86. Lap 4 I’m on that 86 all over him down the hill he defends, I’m right on his bumper as he takes apex :::bonk::: the AMG had come in late...ARGH. He gave it back but now he’s on me and the 86 and Lexus broke slip from me...
Stupid AMG contacts me no less than five more times during the race, once he tried tlast of which was turn 2 shoving me wide...However he seems a touch laggy and NOWAY am I gonna do anything sitting midpack with plenty of places to lose coming up fast behind...
Anyways by lap 8 I’m sitting 8.
It’s been a very different race than I have had in a long long time. I’ve been defensive the whole time since the AMG got by finally by nearly ending my race turn 2. I don’t like driving the vette here at all, but it’s FUN because the other drivers besides the AMG are all racing well.
Of course attrition happened yadda yadda yadda.
I finish 8th. Basically the 86 lap one beat me. Had a chance for round the outside once on him at the hairpin but he held both lines before turning in, good hard defense.
The race was really fun, it felt good to be in there fighting and defending midpack on main.
It’s like my main picked up where my career left off.
I think it just wasn’t my night, luck wise. I finished 8th for 180 some odd points. NOWAY I’m trying again, I just feel for me I never get much from the gr4 vette.
Thanks to all drivers except you, AMG for some great fun, clean stuff.

The quality in these FIA compared to daily C...It’s incomparable. FIA is another league of fun!

Thank you all and goodnight.

Last edited:
Did this race 3 times with my BMW M4, and they were most probably my last 3 races in GT Sport. Reminded me why I had stopped in the first place. In a race without strategy and with no penalty system, people just used push & crash to pass.

Had all three races absolutely killed by idiots. In the second one, was even put on the wall on purpose by a guy who didn't appreciate being overtaken (cleanly with no contact and leaving space). And in the last one, despite being bumped out of the way early on by one of the usual NA region suspects (the one starting with a Latin name with L), it was going well, was P6 starting lap 11. Until a Toyota punt me into the first corner and of course, ran away with the position to finish P6, while I dropped to P10. Pathetic.

Useless points and 1800 DR lost. Shame because I think I had decent pace for the M4. Did 45.8 in TT, just half a sec off @Winnie847 and did a 46 in qualy last slot.

FIA gives you some great clean and enjoyable races sometimes. But unless you are quick enough to be in split 1 or 2, it is more often not the case. :nervous:👎

Last edited:
First race, qualified poorly because of no draft, ate the chicane, and finished at the back. In the second race, qualified better but was punted off by an enthusiastic Brazilian in the first corner, back to last, but was able to pull myself back up to 11th after a flawless run after that.

The third race got a great draft and qualified on pole. Stayed in front with a Viper pushing from behind, but others got bold and decided to take the lead. Had a few people making poor decisions to try and pass, including someone thinking it was a bright idea to go through the chicane two-wide. Lost touch with the lead, held on for 4th, which was a good point haul. Could have gone better but after my disastrous first race, I'll take the points.

COD had my name for my first 2 races. 3rd and final race was great until the last corner. Qualified P1. Held a 1 sec gap for about 5 laps after the corvette finally shook off the porsche. Vette eventually overtook me and defended every corner when all I wanted to do was bump draft. Last 2 laps, 3rd and 4th caught us and on the last lap, last corner I get run off track to finish P4 for 179 points. Blah. It was a fun race though.

Last edited:
Big bag of meh. Started in the back, finished in the back. Had a clean race and was able to move up to like 11th or 12th. And maybe if I was a tad quicker. A top 10 was possible. But the Chicane of Death caught me out on the last lap (I was taking it too easy and it just caught me out).

Now to get ready for the Karting spectacular. Already faster than I should be, but giddy like a school girl who just had her crush sit next to her on the bus.

Did this race 3 times with my BMW M4, and they were most probably my last 3 races in GT Sport. Reminded me why I had stopped in the first place. In a race without strategy and with no penalty system, people just used push & crash to pass.

Had all three races absolutely killed by idiots. In the second one, was even put on the wall on purpose by a guy who didn't appreciate being overtaken (cleanly with no contact and leaving space). And in the last one, despite being bumped out of the way early on by one of the usual NA region suspects (the one starting with a Latin name with L), it was going well, was P6 starting lap 11. Until a Toyota punt me into the first corner and of course, ran away with the position to finish P6, while I dropped to P10. Pathetic.

Useless points and 1800 DR lost. Shame because I think I had decent pace for the M4. Did 45.8 in TT, just half a sec off @Winnie847 and did a 46 in qualy last slot.

FIA gives you some great clean and enjoyable races sometimes. But unless you are quick enough to be in split 1 or 2, it is more often not the case. :nervous:👎

Well, although I will regret it tomorrow when I wake up very sleepy for work, I stubbornly raced again in the final slot (1:20am here). Luckily, this one finally went better.

Qualified P5. Then again lost positions due to people bumping to pass. But then it turned into a great 3-4 car battle for 3rd the whole race. Managed to pass one guy with a great exit to the first chicane, getting ahead and on the inside by the time we turned into the flat right hander. 👍 Now in P6, I spent until the end of the race right behind the 3 cars ahead, frustratingly unable to overtake with my M4... :ouch:

I believe I had more pace than the 3 guys ahead, but nothing I could do... I had a Jaguar ahead for most of the time, who was also in slipstream. In the straights, he would pull away from me, so it was impossible to get close enough in braking zones. On corner exits, specially on the first chicane and the hairpin at the end of the 2nd sector, I would gain a lot and get level with the Jaguar, before he would start pulling away again. Even tried a wide round line into the final corner on the final lap, to see if I could get a great exit and slingshot past. I did get the much better exit, but he still pulled away. :lol:

P6 in the end. As it was in a lower rated lobby, not good points, but at least, a better sensation to end the day rather than the incredibly 🤬 previous slots...

Last edited:
I can never work out DTS, I like the track but am generally off the pace. I'll need a slipstream to qualify anywhere decent - but I'm useless at following in a tow - and a slipstream through the chicane usually results in a big twitchy moment at best, and a total wreck at worst. Get a feeling my race will be - qualify in the bottom third, get beaten up for a couple of laps until it settles, then have decent pace compared to the cars around me but only pick up places due to accidents at the chicane

I'd snap your hand off for a top half finish if you offered it me now!
This was eerily accurate!

Qualify bottom third?

Not quite. Made an absolute pigs ear of qualifying though, wheel froze during warm up, crashed on my out lap! Then on a solid lap on my final run, just caught up to a car ahead so I ease up through the chicane in an attempt to be clean and get a tow to the finish line, but the tow binned it and I was left with a compromised chicane and no gain for the pain! Qualified 10th out of 19

Get beaten up for a couple of laps until the race settles??

If by 'a couple' I meant eleven, it'd be more accurate. Constantly in a queue of cars, two aliens on alts coming through from the back, all nose to tail, side by side for practically all the race. I like when a race settles, this didn't.

Good pace but only gain places when people crash at the chicane?

Eventually...

Finished 8th for 209pts but felt very frustrated with it (not to mention the two alien alts effectively knocking me down a couple more spots). Just a really poor qualy performance from me put me in a mess from which I couldn't recover. The race was slow but cars ahead had a tow, people weren't making the usual mistakes (until that last lap) and I was constantly watching the radar when I wanted to be looking forward. I toyed with going again but then remembered how much I'd hated the race and didn't want to put myself through it! The best way I could describe it was it was like running the first lap in a race, twelve times

Probably a similar story next week at Sardegna, can see that being a no-stop sprint. Then onto the races I can hopefully bag some really big points (though I'll only get one shot at them)

Last edited:
What makes you say that? I think it'll be another manic sprint, just on mediums and around a shorter track
RS can be used. Right now, a Scirocco is at the top of Oceania. FFs were nowhere in my Manu race. They haven't even been good at Autopolis in Race C. I think the last Gr.4 Race B was in the forward layout. The RCZ was the car to have. It'll be interesting how this palys out. Will AWD beat everyone? Will MRs get the win? Will an FR be dominant?
I haven’t raced on this layout but that last corner looks like a punters dream after flying up that hill flat out!
Yeah, it's a tough entry. Exiting that turn, could have players lean on another into the wall before the pits.
T4(?) is blind, with a wall jutting out into the downhill esses.

I’ve done a couple of practice customs races for Sardegna and found the softs to last roughly 15 laps in the Viper. I didn’t test a no stop but I reckon the mediums will be beyond sketchy if they get stretched to the full race distance!
That's just it. If starting in the top 5, with some leaders on RM, can a sprint on RS for about half distance, build enough gap, to be there at the end on fresh RM? MAybe with lighter fuel load? My test to answer that, will be on race day. ;)

I’ve done a couple of practice customs races for Sardegna and found the softs to last roughly 15 laps in the Viper. I didn’t test a no stop but I reckon the mediums will be beyond sketchy if they get stretched to the full race distance!

Do we know if both compounds are required?

For those who are good at tyre management, the no stop may be quicker. If only the medium tyre is required.

Personally this looks like a 1 stop. Probably 15M/10S or something like that.

On such a short lap, with 2 main over taking opportunities, this may be a classic case of push to pass. With the really dirty drivers looking to push people in to the pit/pit wall.

Will see how that goes. Reckon I'm not running nations again. So next FIA will be the manu next week. Good luck to those who are going karting.

Do we know if both compounds are required?

For those who are good at tyre management, the no stop may be quicker. If only the medium tyre is required.

Personally this looks like a 1 stop. Probably 15M/10S or something like that.

On such a short lap, with 2 main over taking opportunities, this may be a classic case of push to pass. With the really dirty drivers looking to push people in to the pit/pit wall.

Will see how that goes. Reckon I'm not running nations again. So next FIA will be the manu next week. Good luck to those who are going karting.

You have to be losing 30+ seconds to tire wear now to make a pit stop worth your wild. I don’t know if that will be the case or not with the next race.

RS can be used. Right now, a Scirocco is at the top of Oceania. FFs were nowhere in my Manu race. They haven't even been good at Autopolis in Race C. I think the last Gr.4 Race B was in the forward layout. The RCZ was the car to have. It'll be interesting how this palys out. Will AWD beat everyone? Will MRs get the win? Will an FR be dominant?

They can be used but it's a near 20s pit stop and the delta between the two tyres is a little over half a second. People/cars who are really hard on tyres might want to stop, but even the FFs generally won't. Even though they'll be hanging on for the last few laps

This is one of those races where they needed to make the softer tyre mandatory. Where we used to have a single lap on the harder tyre as almost the go to strategy, making the softer tyre (or at least both tyres) mandatory in a race like this would see people trying different things

You have to be losing 30+ seconds to tire wear now to make a pit stop worth your wild. I don’t know if that will be the case or not with the next race.

Fair point. Pit loss seemed to be just over 20s. Would have to run a no stop and a 1 stop and see how they compare in terms of race time.

The other challenge with the 1 stop would be traffic, trying to get past all the people who have opted for a no stopper.

But I definitely agree. This will be a race, won by those who are good with tyre management and those in cars that are very sparing on tyres.

So I ran 1st slot USA and the Vette was really good, more forgiving than the Aston although maybe slightly slower on a perfect lap....well for me so not really perfect. Q 12 and nothing special, good clean race made some good passes and made positions through mistakes. Finished 6th and only about 8 secs off the lead. So after a very dodgy start to the day and nice finish with good racing.

As to this points issue I can see the point that your not going to win in lower splits, but it really sucks for comparing friends. My main account got 49 points for 6th and yesterday got 45 for a 2nd, but that was in C where I got pole and lead from the start, a fairly easy race because I was against mostly less competent players. There should be some overlap between levels, but it's far too close. Ultimately it makes no odds for the less than 1% who are fighting for the championship, but a huge difference to the over 99% who just want to compare themselves against friends.

They can be used but it's a near 20s pit stop and the delta between the two tyres is a little over half a second. People/cars who are really hard on tyres might want to stop, but even the FFs generally won't. Even though they'll be hanging on for the last few laps

This is one of those races where they needed to make the softer tyre mandatory. Where we used to have a single lap on the harder tyre as almost the go to strategy, making the softer tyre (or at least both tyres) mandatory in a race like this would see people trying different things
The last FIA Sardegna, I think I stopped three times on RS and once for the mandatory tyre(s). I do know I won that race, with people evening the Lap/tyre choices.

It's definitely a short lap, with a straight that favors a power car, but maybe something like the WRX/Evo, trump's that in the slow corners and change in direction. I don't know. Many laps. That's why I find it interesting.

Trying to remember the last GR.4. Might have been reverse layout.

The last FIA Sardegna, I think I stopped three times on RS and once for the mandatory tyre(s). I do know I won that race, with people evening the Lap/tyre choices.

It's definitely a short lap, with a straight that favors a power car, but maybe something like the WRX/Evo, trump's that in the slow corners and change in direction. I don't know. Many laps. That's why I find it interesting.

Trying to remember the last GR.4. Might have been reverse layout.

I think it was the reverse layout. I remember because the pit exit and turn 1 braking zone were the same thing and it caused a lot of interesting moments.

Doesn't seem like that will be an issue this time as pitting won't be done much/at all.

I’m honestly half tempted to just not do Manu anymore, it just seems kind of pointless now. You pick 2 cars, only one of which will ever be any good. Then that one good car is only good at half of its races or less, so there’s 75% of the races that aren’t even worth doing. Add in South America now and all the dodgy connections, and it’s just not worth it. I just wanna race every race, I really dislike having to skip races over a crapy car. So I think I’ll just stick to Nations from now on where it’s actually a drivers contest, not a who’s car is best at this track contest.

Last edited:
I’m honestly half tempted to just not do Manu anymore, it just seems kind of pointless now. You pick 2 cars, only one of which will ever be any good. Then that one good car is only good at half of its races or less, so there’s 75% of the races that aren’t even worth doing. Add in South America now and all the dodgy connections, and it’s just not worth it. I just wanna race every race, I really dislike having to skip races over a crapy car. So I think I’ll just stick to Nations from now on where it’s actually a drivers contest, not a who’s car is best at this track contest.

Yeah, having to plan your races on your manufacturer is frustrating. But it is still good fun, trying to get the best out of your car on a track that doesn't suit it (I acknowledge even though I'm an A rank driver, I'm not racing the kinda people you are, or at your level haha).
But I prefer that to nations. Seems like drivers are so much more desperate and aggressive with nation.
Add to that, personal preference, I don't enjoy racing in road cars. So limits the races I would do for nations.

Back