2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, the Pigs got done over, what a shame.

I genuinely couldn't give a toss about football right now. It's June 17th and there's so many better things we could be doing right now - watching 32 tossers have a pointless kickabout in front of nobody, while everyone else can't be with more than five other people because of DEATHPLAGUE, shouldn't even be on the list.

The season finished four weeks ago. Just leave it and start again in August. Have the pools panel fill in the outstanding results, and don't relegate anyone - promote three then drop an extra team every season for the next three seasons - if it matters that much.

City beat Arsenal 3-0, Arsenal started pretty well but then David Luiz happened!

He didn't start the game but come on after 20 minutes for injured Pablo Mari, right before half time a shot deflected off his thigh straight into Sterling to score and in the second half he brought down Mahrez in the box for a penalty and got himself sent off, KDB converted the pen and Foden scored the third in injury time, there was 11 minutes added on because of a big hold up after Ederson collided with Eric Garcia who had to be stretchered off.

That disallowed Sheffield United goal was bizarre, I saw it live and it clearly was over the line and all I could think was 'how came it hasn't been given?!', apparently it was a freak event as all seven cameras were blocked by players! I also heard that Michael Oliver's watched only buzzed to give the goal at half time!

EayFtnEX0AAZLzq

Confirmed what was known already but as a Chelsea fan i haven't been this happy about a transfer window since 2014. Ziyech and Werner are top class and now seeing links with Havertz :eek: . Just need a top class left back and CB now, offload some deadwood players and can see Chelsea being serious contenders in the next few years.

City beat Arsenal 3-0, Arsenal started pretty well but then David Luiz happened!

He didn't start the game but come on after 20 minutes for injured Pablo Mari, right before half time a shot deflected off his thigh straight into Sterling to score and in the second half he brought down Mahrez in the box for a penalty and got himself sent off, KDB converted the pen and Foden scored the third in injury time, there was 11 minutes added on because of a big hold up after Ederson collided with Eric Garcia who had to be stretchered off.
Having KDB as my Fantasy Prem captain really took the pain off Luiz going full Luiz.

Here are this weekends games, the first full weekend of the re-start.

Friday.
Norwich v Southampton (6pm Sky)
Tottenham v Man United (8.15 Sky)

Saturday.
Brighton v Arsenal (BT)
Bournemouth v Crystal Palace (7.45 BBC)
Watford v Leicester (12.30 BT)
West Ham v Wolves (5.30 Sky)

Sunday.
Aston Villa v Chelsea (4.15 Sky)
Everton v Liverpool (6pm Sky)
Newcastle v Sheffield United (2pm)

Monday.
Man City v Burnley (8pm)

Brighton v Arsenal is a 3pm but you can see it on BT, BBC have got their first ever live PL game on Saturday night.

The Championship is re-starting this weekend as well.

Norwich 0-3 Southampton.
Tottenham 1-1 Man United.

All three goals in the second half from Southampton from Ings, Armstrong and Redmond, Norwich started well but they just folded in the second half and some of the defending was terrible.

Some bad defending and suspect goal-keeping from De Gea and United led to Bergwijn's goal but Eric Dier brought down Pogba in the box for a United penalty which Fernandes converted, much better performance in the second half from United and Pogba made a big difference when he came on, I'm quite happy with a point.

Roy Keane had a meltdown on Sky Sports when asked about the United defending for the Spurs goal!

I saw most of the second half of Tottenham vs. Manchester United. I found it surreal when I saw a little caption in the lower thirds on NBCSN saying "...to watch without crowd noise, visit nbcsports.com or NBC Sports Gold..." or something like that. I'm sorry- I know we have a pandemic and all, but I can not imagine a sport like this with no spectators. Doesn't matter if it is grassroots teams or professional and national teams, weak sauce teams to juggernaut powerhouses... football just seems flat without fans. Again- I know we have a pandemic going on. I'm just saying it's surreal the way things are at present.

That said, congratulations to all of this week's winners up to and beyond the time of this post.

There's a farcical story coming out of Russia now their football is back up. You can see a full twitter thread including the politics of it all here.
Tl;dr: A few Rostov players caught Covid so the whole team had to self isolate. Sochi wouldn't postpone the game and Rostov were forced to send their academy team who got soundly beaten. Rostov actually took the lead in the first minute and their keeper was player of the match despite letting in 10 goals.

I saw most of the second half of Tottenham vs. Manchester United. I found it surreal when I saw a little caption in the lower thirds on NBCSN saying "...to watch without crowd noise, visit nbcsports.com or NBC Sports Gold..." or something like that. I'm sorry- I know we have a pandemic and all, but I can not imagine a sport like this with no spectators. Doesn't matter if it is grassroots teams or professional and national teams, weak sauce teams to juggernaut powerhouses... football just seems flat without fans. Again- I know we have a pandemic going on. I'm just saying it's surreal the way things are at present.

That said, congratulations to all of this week's winners up to and beyond the time of this post.
I'm just watching highlights of the game now... complete with crowd noises. I wondered if the noise was 'live' i.e. being played through the PA system at the stadium during the game, or if it is just superimposed onto the footage for TV. I assume from your post that the sound is just added by the broadcaster.

Either way, I'd prefer fake sound to no sound at all... not least because it drowns out the voices of players and management.

-

The BBC will show a live Premier League match (Bournemouth v Crystal Palace) live for the first time since 1988 - from 7.15pm on BBC One.

Watford 1-1 Leicester
Brighton 2-1 Arsenal

Two great goals in added time at the end of the game during the Watford-Leicester game, Ben Chilwell hit a rocket which came off the post and in for Leicester on 90 minutes with Craig Dawson with an aerobatic effort from a corner to equalise just a few minutes later.

Not a good day for Arsenal once again, firstly they had Bernd Leno get stretchered off injured after a clash with Neal Maupay, they went ahead through a fantastic strike by Nicolas Pepe but Lewis Dunk equalised not long after when he plundered the ball over the line and it was given via goal-line technology (which was working today!) And the Neal Maupay with a great goal in the 94th minute to win it for Brighton, things got heated afterwards with Guendozi going after Maupay.

West Ham v Wolves and Bournemouth v Crystal Palace still to come tonight.

I'm just watching highlights of the game now... complete with crowd noises. I wondered if the noise was 'live' i.e. being played through the PA system at the stadium during the game, or if it is just superimposed onto the footage for TV. I assume from your post that the sound is just added by the broadcaster.

Either way, I'd prefer fake sound to no sound at all... not least because it drowns out the voices of players and management.

-

The BBC will show a live Premier League match (Bournemouth v Crystal Palace) live for the first time since 1988 - from 7.15pm on BBC One.

It is added by TV companies in the Premier League, since they banned teams from doing it in the actual stadium. In the Championship they are allowed to pump sound into the stadium but it's up to each team whether they want to do it (and pay for it), or not. :indiff:

Yeah, Touring Mars, the crowd sounds of the on-TV deal are mostly superimposed. It keeps the atmosphere remotely decent having artificial crowd sounds. It almost reminds me during the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa when YouTube had an option for you to watch a video while listing to sounds from those vuvuzuelas the 2010 FIFA World Cup was notorious for. It is not just the crowd sounds that seems surreal to be without, it's also how the fans will wave flags and do the wave and all that stuff.

I do tend to agree having fake fan sound rather than none at all. Football is a very involved and spirited sport. Not having crowd support or influence just makes the sport flat. Things will hopefully return to normal (pre COVID-19/Coronavirus), even if times will be what is considered the "new normal."

Newcastle just beat Sheffield United 3-0 in a slightly surprising result.

John Egan got sent off for Sheffield United after taking down Joelinton when he was the last defender and then the goals soon followed, Saint-Maximin got the first then Matt Ritchie scored with a fantastic strike after which Joelinton finally scored, doesn't get easier for Sheffield United with a trip to Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Villa v Chelsea just kicked off and Everton v Liverpool is on tonight.

Benzema, the clown, even pointed to his shoulder to try to defend his goal which only confirms that the goal should’ve been disallowed.

Man City just beat Burnley 5-0, two goals each from Foden and Mahrez and the other from David Silva, it was 5-0 after just 65 minutes and Burnley got shredded, not the only problems they have right now however.

Whilst the players and officials took the knee for Black Lives Matter before the game a plane buzzed around over the stadium with a banner which said 'White Lives Matter Burnley', and I'm not making that up! Its obviously a bit senseless and Burnley have already put out a statement condemning it.

Also Burnley could only name seven subs rather than nine and the reason for this isn't injuries its because they have five players out of contract on the 30th and they wont re-sign, Jeff Hendrick, Aaron Lennon, Joe Hart, Phil Bardsley and Adam Legzdins all out of contract in a week, so all in all its not a great night for Burnley!

-------------------------------------------

Here are the games for the next few days.

Tuesday night.
Leicester v Brighton (6pm Sky)
Tottenham v West Ham (8.15 Sky)

Wednesday night.
Liverpool v Crystal Palace (8.15 Sky)
Man United v Sheffield United (6pm Sky)
Newcastle v Aston Villa (6pm BT)
Norwich v Everton (6pm BBC)
Wolves v Bournemouth (6pm BT)

Thursday night.
Burnley v Watford (6pm Sky)
Chelsea v Man City (8.15 BT)
Southampton v Arsenal (6pm Sky)

Every game is televised! :crazy:

I mentioned the artificial crowd noise on NBCSN's Premier League broadcasts. Well, watching a live game on ESPN in Italy's Serie A, there's the dead silence of no fans, but also all the player and coach chatter. The game is between Genoa vs. Parma, by the way.

Leicester 0-0 Brighton
Tottenham 2-0 West Ham

Not exactly a stellar night of League action!

Neal Maupay had a penalty saved for Brighton by Schmeichel in Leicester goal, apart from that nothing really happened.

A Tomas Soucek own goal and a Harry Kane strike gave Spurs the win in a game they largely dominated, the ball came off Soucek from a Spurs corner and there was a hint of handball just before, Kane was put through one-on-one with the keeper and made no mistake, Spurs also had a Son goal ruled out for offside via VAR in the first half. Only two wins from 12 for West Ham now.

I'd like to add a note to this thread actually with regards to the plane banner stupidity (from what I've heard and seen they seemed to think it'd be a funny joke :boggled: :banghead: ) from the other day, even though I know you won't believe me because I can not provide written proof, which is fine with me. :cheers:

Whilst I do agree with the statement, I find the Burnley's statement to be a utter joke really. If they cared so much about racial equality then why (in the last couple of years) have they allowed previously permanently banned "supporters", many of whom like to refer to themselves as members of the hooligan "Suicide Squad" back into the Home games once again, it's not as if they are not racist and that's just on top of all the rest of the crap they are responsible for. :banghead:

I hope the outrage, that those in charge of Burnley FC, are currently showing is remembered by the media when one (or likely more) of these previously banned "supporters" commits another awful act, which sadly they likely will, once fans can return to the matches once more. :nervous:

:gtpflag:

Apparently Burnley knew about the plane and the banner before the game and tried to stop it from happening.

Sergio Aguero has had successful surgery on his knee, Aguero limped off at half time v Burnley after a challenge from Ben Mee, no timescale has been given on his return

So... people are paying to have cardboard cut-outs of themselves in the stands of football matches, and if that sentence didn't immediately imply that this was inevitable:

EbSRylQXgAAPAhz.jpg
I don't know what would.

If you can't see it, middle of the front row

Last edited:
Four Premier League games are about to start at the same time, all four are televised!

The 6pm full times.

Newcastle 1-1 Aston Villa, Gayle and Elmohamady with the goals.
Norwich 0-1 Everton, Michael Keane with the goal.
Wolves 1-0 Bournemouth, Jimenez with the goal.
Man United 3-0 Sheffield United, Anthony Martial with a hat-trick and the third was flithy! First Premier League hat-trick for Man United since Van Persie in 2013 when Sir Alex was manager!

Liverpool v Palace to come at 8.15.

So... people are paying to have cardboard cut-outs of themselves in the stands of football matches, and if that sentence didn't immediately imply that this was inevitable:

EbSRylQXgAAPAhz.jpg
I don't know what would.

If you can't see it, middle of the front row
Obviously people are going to upload stupid pictures, but how the hell does that get through???? There's got to be quite a few people who've seen it in the process from receiving the upload to approving it to cardboard cutouts being made to them being installed. Surely that's multiple people - one of which should have noticed and vetted that out.

Liverpool beat Palace 4-0.

They will become champions tomorrow if Man City lose to Chelsea.

Obviously people are going to upload stupid pictures, but how the hell does that get through???? There's got to be quite a few people who've seen it in the process from receiving the upload to approving it to cardboard cutouts being made to them being installed. Surely that's multiple people - one of which should have noticed and vetted that out.

Yes this and what an idiot someone is paying £25 to put Bin Laden there, anyway he's been removed now. However if he can sneak past checks I do wonder just how many other similar stunts have been pulled all over the country and gone unnoticed, I imagine it's a lot.:rolleyes:

I mentioned the artificial crowd noise on NBCSN's Premier League broadcasts. Well, watching a live game on ESPN in Italy's Serie A, there's the dead silence of no fans, but also all the player and coach chatter. The game is between Genoa vs. Parma, by the way.
I actually prefer hearing the players and managers than the fake crowd noise. I caught the 2nd half of Inter v. Sassuolo yesterday. Listening to Conte on the sidelines and how he orchestrates the players was great. You can immediately tell who the leaders on the teams are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back