2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

If I was a betting man I would say it's little more than a negotiation tactic considering he really has no reason to leave Mercedes. Unless of course he feels he needs to with a championship with Ferrari in order the be the greatest ever.

He needs to do it with two more teams to equal Fangio's record. A 12 month deal with Ferrari then a 12 month deal with Red Bull would be hilarious.

Norris - “Lesson #1 learned, don’t leave the door open.”
Albon - “Like you did at Suzuka?”

BAZINGA, shots fired :lol:

I think the future is in good hands, as far as the drivers are concerned :P

This is the "championship" Russell was talking about.
rht487uh5nz31.png

A move to Ferrari wouldn't make a ton of sense, but maybe Hamilton wants a bit more drama in his life.

But if Mercedes is up for sale and if Toto Woolf is moving on to other things would it make sense to stay? A lot of ifs, but then F1 is IF backwards.

Well, if Mercedes is considering pulling out, a move would make sense, but I think Hamilton would be disappointed with the result. I can see Mercedes leaving after basically getting everything they could from the series. Oddly I think it becomes a harder sell the more successful you are, particularly if you can't link success to benefits/profit.

"How many times have you won the championship?"
"The last six years in a row..."
"So why are we still throwing money at this? Isn't that enough?"

:D

They also just invested in Formula E so they may want to put more funding there after awhile. Oh god, if Hamilton went there...

There's the challenge of keeping it up and with the 2021 changes I'd stick around to see what happens there

I can only imagine the money that would be thrown at Hamilton to join Mercedes in FE. That would be such a massive game changer for FE.

I don’t follow Hamilton outside of racing, but I think not too long ago he was posting stuff on his Instagram about being at a real low point a couple months ago, feeling really down because no one seems to care about the planet.

https://f1i.com/news/358476-depressed-hamilton-feels-like-giving-up-on-everything.html

I don’t think it’s entirely crazy to think he might go to FE....a fat sack of money and feeling like he’s helping spread the good word about an electric future.

I personally see that as a good thing. Ferrari's "position" in Formula 1 needs to be taken down a peg or two. Any movement in that direction is fine. It's nice to see a younger driver who isn't putting Ferrari on a pedestal like most drives do. Good for Verstappen (though we all know in 5 years it could all be forgotten and he could be wearing red!).

(though we all know in 5 years it could all be forgotten and he could be wearing red!).

Normally any kind of communication from Ferrari saying something hasn't happened / will never happen leads directly and immediately to that thing happening....

Apparently Eddie Jordan is saying both Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton are going to Ferrari in '21.

That would make sense, particularly if Mercedes leave F1. I'd imagine Ferrari could throw a serious salary at Wolff - and we've seen it proven that Ferrari needs non-Italians to run their team to be properly competitive for some reason. Basically...take the Ferrari out of Ferrari to make them more competitive.

Charles LeClerc renewed his Ferrari contract up unitl 2024.
Minor detail: his salary will also increase just a little bit with 300% to 9M* a year. ;) - haha would do exactly the same.

* hope for him this is after tax.

I don't recall the numbers, but did Mercedes win something like 80% of all races in the past 5-6 years or something absurd?

Hmm...now that's actually a little surprising to me, but good for him.
I mean he wasn’t going to Ferrari so his only options were Red Bull or Mercedes, and odds are Russell is already lined up for a Merc seat if either driver leaves

Sure, but three years is a long time, particularly going into new regulations. We're also in a place where it's not unrealistic to think Hamilton could leave in the next five years, even more likely Sebastian Vettel may...Bottas is likely short-lived, etc. Verstappen is young, however, and he has plenty of time to go elsewhere later.

To me, three years is a long time in F1.

Sure, but three years is a long time, particularly going into new regulations. We're also in a place where it's not unrealistic to think Hamilton could leave in the next five years, even more likely Sebastian Vettel may...Bottas is likely short-lived, etc. Verstappen is young, however, and he has plenty of time to go elsewhere later.

To me, three years is a long time in F1.

I think it's the smartest move he could have made. He didn't have many options, but with a long term contract locked in place Red Bull know they have at least one of their seats sorted, and with one of the best drivers in F1. Honda also now know they have a driver that;
1. Doesn't **** all over their brand.
2. Will win races for them given half a chance.
3. Will be sticking about

So they can afford to put more time and money into their engines and... with Red Bull/Newey, a good engine they're in a really good place to have a great car for 2021.

Plus, if Verstappen moves on, there's probably a nice profitable exit fee Red Bull could cash in on if Ferrari come begging.

Jack Aitken announced he’s leaving his role as reserve driver for Renault....to join Williams.

Can’t say I understand this move, but ok.

Jack Aitken announced he’s leaving his role as reserve driver for Renault....to join Williams.

Can’t say I understand this move, but ok.

Ricciardo and Ocon aren't going anywhere and there probably isn't any chance of seat time at Renault. Williams, however, will probably have a vacancy next season and are offering Aitken an FP run. Yes Renault are a faster team, but Williams is the better chance for a seat right now.

Ricciardo and Ocon aren't going anywhere and there probably isn't any chance of seat time at Renault. Williams, however, will probably have a vacancy next season and are offering Aitken an FP run. Yes Renault are a faster team, but Williams is the better chance for a seat right now.
True, but williams already have Ticktum and Chadwick signed.

Chadwick brings a media circus with her

Ticktum and Latifi being big $$$ with them.

Russell brings Mercedes money with him.

Even if Russell leaves Williams at the end of the year (I hope he does), I don’t see Aitken getting his seat over someone who brings more money.

Chadwick by her own admission isn't ready yet.
Ticktum needs a few years to actually settle because he's been inconsistent and wild in the past. Plus he doesn't have superlicense points.
Aitken I think has enough superlicense points and is the only one on that rostrum that can actually work as a reserve driver. Williams don't want another Paul Di Resta situation where he ends up being the only driver in the paddock who can jump in a Williams in case something odd happens. Yes there are other drivers in the Williams Junior seats, but Aitken jumps straight to the top.

I just don’t think Aitken has the financial backing to ever get a seat at Williams, it feels like they’re leading him on.

It can work the other way around though, I guess - if Williams show an interest then he might find it easier to get sponsorship.

Back