2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
TOP 10 lap guide for saturday race time trial. Not for everyone as its manufacturer series but just to give an idea. Car I am using is Corvette.

Awesome lap, as always. Only just realised it's tomorrow.

Spa... in the wet... to those who will do it, all the very best. May end up a battle of attrition. As cars bin it and spin/crash.

Probably next be out there on the mountain. Sure won't be popular opinion, but I've never enjoyed Spa, add rain... think that's a pass for me.

Can't be bothered hunting for slip in quali for Manu, so started 19th and just played the long game conserving tyres at the start. Surprisingly a lot people chose to do the 1 stop, and a few more ran out of tyres near the end so I managed to climb all the way up to 12th. Would've been 11th or possibly 10th if I didn't get a corner cut penalty trying to avoid a lagging JP driver. Anyway, he apologised after the race and everyone kept it rather clean in my race. Much improved from the first 2 rounds 👍

Spa rain next - anyone driving NSX, RCZ or R8 - this is your best chance to bag those big points. Anyone driving high powered turbo FRs like the Supra or GT-R, just stay home :lol:

Hi, are you ready to spend some relaxing Saturday afternoon in the Spa? You know all this good stuff like mud on face and slices of cucumber on the eyes... I cant wait;)

BTW, if someone like to practice, Ill set a lobby today, afternoon/evening 17-18:00 CET

Edit2: I ended my work later than usualy so lobby will be in about half an hour..

Edit3: just came home and it turns out that my wife and daughter are sleeping so I cant turn my wheel on to not wake them up... Everything is against me today, maybe Jesus dont want me to practice Spa;)

Last edited:
Had a few laps practice yesterday. Normally I can do reasonably well in the wet races in GT League. But this was like ice. No grip whatsoever. This feels like it'll be a creep around the lap but there are still a few areas where the car will just snap on you or decide it doesn't want to turn.
I feel it'll be worth doing in my low DR as the other racers may handle the conditions worse so may luck into a decent top 10.
My car will probably be nicknamed Kylie after this round.
Will be spending time this evening practicing and maybe finding a lobby.

Last edited:
This Spa wet race looks like it will be a simulation of driving on an ice rink. I'm going to try to find time today to practice going back to manual gears. An auto box just spins the wheels like mad while it tries to find a gear, even if you ramp the TCS up all the way. And engine braking where possible is preferable to using the middle pedal I would imagine.

Done a few hours practice for the next manufacturers race at Spa in the wet and at the moment I think it's probably best for me to skip this one.

While I can now keep the RC F on the track and hook up consistent laps for the most part it still feels like I am just holding on and that is still without factoring in other cars on the track.

I think this sort of race will require a lot of patience due to having to brake early, needing a lighter throttle and the much slower lap that will result. At my level of racing one thing I almost never see is patience and folks will bump you off in normal conditions if they think you are slower or holding them up.

In wet conditions I feel it will be even worse and because of the conditions even the slightest tap is going to put me off with no chance to get back to under control. I imagine it will be a complete cluster in terms of actual racing and will be more akin to banger racing or Wreckfest. (I would hope not in higher lobbies but C & D yikes!)

At the moment as mentioned above I just don't see this being worth the stress. I would wish those who do take part the best of luck and look forward to the YouTube vids that will come from this one.

I ran the RC F '17 in a couple FIA wet races(Red Bull Ring and Spa-unless, that was a Daily). The way I drive that car, I was competitive at Spa. Ran with an RSR for most of the race, till about the last couple laps.
Red Bull Ring, I got smashed by the MR cars. I think an overly aggressive 650S kept passing me and going off, passing and going off, passing and going off all race. That was the difference in drivetrain performance. Had a fight with a couple GT-Rs at the time. RC F is, at least, a stable and consistent car to run in the wet. Might not win, but shouldn't be trouble.

Spa in the rain in a GRB car is actually good fun. In a Gr3 car, it's a workout. Ran a race last night and nearly binned it 3 or 4 times. Glad I don't have a big turbo to deal with. Did have some hot door to door action with an R8. Cardi B approved.

By the time it was over, I was sweating my tail off. My eyes were like raisins because I didn't want to blink. Lol. My advice, brake earlier. Seems early isn't quite enough.

I gotta say, racing FIA at the limit of your ability sends a lot of emotions. My run at DTS was awesome. I put in a lot of practice, and raced smart, and it paid off with huge points.

At Sardenga, I put in a similar amount of practice but just couldn't find the speed I needed to be competitive. After qualifying 14th in a 270+ point room, I moved up to 10th over the first couple laps and then shadow-realmed myself 3 of the next 4 laps at T4. I hadn't done that more than once in any of my practice runs, but evidently the pressure got to me. I ended up quitting out, and I didn't run the next slot despite @Jwptexas giving me a lot of encouragement to. The time switch means that a one-shot is really the best option for life/gaming balance, and I wasn't feeling confident that I could fix the results.

The amount of practice necessary to be competitive at each of these tracks is starting to become a little overwhelming, and since this **** is supposed to be fun, it's sending me for a bit of a loop. I'm skipping Spa despite loving the track because I straight-up don't have the hours necessary to figure it out in the wet. I had zero interest in turning the PS4 on last night.

I hope fast-forwarding my practice to Bathurst and Tokyo will help me be able to spread the practice time out and maybe make it more fun. I think that the Mustang and GT will do alright at those tracks, and the few day break will probably get a little bit of the burn back. After a year of competing in FIA with steady improvement, I'm starting to think I'm pretty close to being tapped out ability wise.

Side note:

All of these meme races in Nations isn't helping either -- karts, Gr 1 at an oval someone hacked at with a knife, and dirt is quite the stretch. I hope the game masters have had their fun, so we can get back to some real races for the main season :lol:

Last edited:
Have done some practice at Spa tonight. I will not be racing tomorrow. I have no idea how anyone keeps a car on the track with these settings. Driving the Jag and I am routinely finding myself facing the wrong way. Even on straight stretches.

Spa and I have never gotten along but this is ridiculous. Kudos to anyone who can keep a power FR car on the track. It’s beyond my skill level.

I wish you all well with it.

I’m sitting out Spa tomorrow too. Partly because I have a school project to worry about, and partly because I can’t handle the Citroen in the wet.

I’m focusing on Nations next Wednesday to try and find a Gr.1 candidate to run. My current choice now is the McLaren VGT, but I’m still looking for a car that can take the final kink without smashing the exit wall.

I actually have some sort of morbid curiosity for running tomorrows race. Originally i had absolutely no intention at all as i'm not great at Spa even in the dry....however, something tempting about this. Think its hope that everyone else will bin it leaving me to pick up an unlikely top 10 finish! :lol: The thing thats actually putting me off at the moment though is the fact it looks like its roughly 37 minutes long! Torture!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to running tomorrow especially after getting the victory last time out during the real season with Ford. It's going to be a slow and steady type of race of endurance keeping your mind focused for half an hour.

Hope I can qualify well and just lean on the power of the GT LM where cars like the Porsche and Alfa won't have top end to make any moves on me. Most people won't try too many two wides in the wet off the racing line so you'll end up about where you qualify if you can keep it mistake free.

The first time I raced in the wet in GT Sport it was at the Red Bull Ring in the Manufacturer Series. I did a practice race and the AI were out-accelerating me out of corners. I don't think the GT-R is the car for this track, somehow.

The very first race I ever did on GT Sport was an FIA event at Spa in the wet with Gr3 Mustang... I literally quit half way in and didn't touch the game until covid quarantine hit... now I can't get off here :lol:

I still get flashbacks and haven't touched the Mustang since, lol!!

Last edited:
Something about tomorrow has my slidey-senses tingling...

slidingcars.gif

All of these meme races in Nations isn't helping either -- karts, Gr 1 at an oval someone hacked at with a knife, and dirt is quite the stretch. I hope the game masters have had their fun, so we can get back to some real races for the main season :lol:

At the rate this season is going, I’m going to easily be a Top 100 driver in the series.

This is the perfect season. A proper mix to really test a driver. Especially as all the Group 3 and 4 races turn into one car showdowns anyways in Nations, reducing them to only one appearance really meant the series was about showing up and putting your talents to the test.

Maybe Roam just can’t cut it? (Runs and hides)

Will say the rallycross event at Windmills will be a true mess though. It is the counter clockwise layout, so at least it won’t be a pileup and log jam at turn 1.

Same with the odd BMB “sorta” oval. Turn 1 won’t be a real big issue. I think we are all just good enough not to royally screw that corner up. It’s the Formula E style funnel corner Turn 3 (the kink doesn’t count as a corner) that’ll ruin many driver’s races. A good way to lose or gain a second a lap just on your own.

I skipped all wet races before, this one I’m going in, if i die i die .

I'll say a prayer for you. That Jag is gonna be a piece of work there. (About time honestly...the Gr 4 Jag has been META AF, lol)

At the rate this season is going, I’m going to easily be a Top 100 driver in the series.

This is the perfect season. A proper mix to really test a driver. Especially as all the Group 3 and 4 races turn into one car showdowns anyways in Nations, reducing them to only one appearance really meant the series was about showing up and putting your talents to the test.

Maybe Roam just can’t cut it? (Runs and hides)

Will say the rallycross event at Windmills will be a true mess though. It is the counter clockwise layout, so at least it won’t be a pileup and log jam at turn 1.

Same with the odd BMB “sorta” oval. Turn 1 won’t be a real big issue. I think we are all just good enough not to royally screw that corner up. It’s the Formula E style funnel corner Turn 3 (the kink doesn’t count as a corner) that’ll ruin many driver’s races. A good way to lose or gain a second a lap just on your own.

I ran the minimum races last season and finished 41st in the region. You'll see me at Laguna for sure, and maybe at BMB this week too. I'd work on improving your scores if you don't want me to eke by you :lol:. I'll take the day after Laguna off if that's what it takes, lol.

I don't have a problem with them not using the race cars. I just really enjoy driving the road cars for Nations and the Yaris isn't good enough to be the only one.

Last edited:
I like the variety that is being offered for Nations Cup, it does seem clear that they are using some of these races as a 'test' to see what participation is like in the view of potentially putting something similar in the full season.

It must be frustrating for them, if they read this site, that some people complain about having the same old combos but then some people complain about having something different to try.

Guessing we will have a 20-30 race season for the proper FIAs that will hopefully keep everyone happy

Admittedly, as soon as I get wiped out on any of these races I'll be on here moaning about it :D:gtpflag:

Went for a shakedown at Spa with the Lambo... worst idea ever. Everyone saying MR cars are favourites for this race but I think it´s just "all MR cars that are not Lamborghini" At this point I´m not sure if it´s me or if this is really impossible. The car understeers really bad, so I slow down more and more and then the RPM are so low that at the slightest touch on the gas the tail is all over. Tried TCS 1 after unsuccesfully running TCS 0 as always but it was pretty much the same. I´m on a dualshock, that´s probably not helping but this round is really anoying.

Last edited:
Went for a shakedown at Spa with the Lambo... worst idea ever. Everyone saying MR cars are favourites for this race but I think it´s just "all MR cars that are not Lamborghini" At this point I´m not sure if it´s me or if this is really impossible. The car understeers really bad, so I slow down more and more and then the RPM are so low that at the slightest touch on the gas the tail is all over. Tried TCS 1 after unsuccesfully running TCS 0 as always but it was pretty much the same. I´m on a dualshock, that´s probably not helping but this round is really anoying.

tcs1 is all but useless in the wet. Try tcs2 👍

Back