2019 FIA Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by bduddy, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HellzFire

HellzFire

Had very good pace on Nations but unfortunately couldnt get a good score. First race I was in 3rd, closing in on 2nd when the 4th placed guy punted me and then right afterwards I got taken out. Second race I hit the chicane. 3rd try was good (video below) but the score was terrible, only 2k for top lobby :( . Qualy was bad, but race pace was decent.

Manu did only once. Made pole with an Ok lap and the race was amazing. A lot of fighting to keep the lead.

Dezcom, dlshearon, Pfei and 1 other person like this.
  2. hrusa2

hrusa2

Congratulations! I need to try this car again :-D I used R18 '16 for my record result of 1436 points for 3rd, starting 6th. I used mediums with no stop and you?

TRL LIGHTNING likes this.
  3. atakyrk

atakyrk

So, what about saturdays Nations race (N500, Fuji)? Not often I race N500's so I'm in the dark... What cars should I test?

4. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

I didn't do any racing last night, not been feeling great and smashing into a wall at 150mph probably wouldn't have made me feel any better, but did catch @Tidgney stream which had the most brilliant bit of driving below

It is worth watch the whole race though as he goes from 16th to 5th, and @Jomas goes from 19th to 6th, which is ridiculous in a top split race. Full race starts at 55:00

kalakanto, Jomas, GT5Power and 7 others like this.
  5. 05XR8

05XR8

Top pick(in Australia) looks to be the 911. I've bucked the trend with the GT-R NISMO. Also tried the GT-R '17. Slightly slower than the NISMO.

I tried the Diablo and A90 Supra. Diablo felt real good. A90 Supra didn't feel like it has the grunt.

dlshearon likes this.
  6. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

the cars I am going to try for the race are
    • Ford Gt40 Mark 1
    • Toyota S-FR
    • Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
    • Ferrari F40
    • Ferrari F50
    • Nissan GT-R Nismo
    • Mclaren F1
    not sure anything will touch the Porker though.

MrCooper and TRL LIGHTNING like this.
  7. Lazybike

Lazybike

I had an OK night, 3rd in Nations with the Porsche, and 5th in Manufacturers with the Citroen, Nations was a bit stressful though!

dlshearon likes this.
  8. TheConzio98

TheConzio98

Looks like the Supra cup has been announced and is in the Sport mode selection screen. I noticed there's now a greyed-out option for "snow tyres" in the practice session for the race :eek: Maybe we'll have snow tracks in the future

9. Pfei

Pfei Premium

Thirteen rounds starting 27 April. I wonder how many of those rounds count towards your final tally?

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/news/00_5364740.html

dlshearon likes this.
  10. RZQSPEED

RZQSPEED

Yeah and I even set a lap on it!

IMG_20190411_174600.jpg

As for Snow Tyres...that's already been on the tyre selection list since Day 1...

11. Barry R

Barry R

First Nations race (of the season) last night.. thought id jump in at the deep end... tried a no stopper in the porsche.. nearly worked, finished 4th,
    Here is a question though (for manufactures), is the McLaren F1 as bad as i think, or is it all down to me :/ im just super slow in it.. feels like a bad choice :lol:

12. watto79

watto79

So last night was the most successful night of FIA racing I've had, although still could have gone better.

Nations
    Managed some practice for this that I think put me in a good place lap time wise. For the first time ever managed to hook up a qualifying lap I was happy with. Nearly fell out of my chair when I realised I'm starting P2! Really pleased with that especially as I was seeded 15th. First few laps were fine. P1 pulled away and there's a 4s gap to P3. Then the chicane of death bit me hard. You name it, its damaged. Drop lots of places but stick to my no stop strategy. Most others did pit which put me back up to P3 for a while. I was always losing time to those on fresh tyres though and finished P5.
    That's a stonking result for me but who knows what would have happened if I'd not crashed.

Manufacturers
    Back to my usual qualifying method starting P13. My tactic was to avoid penalties, and as I seemed to be the only one following that tactic managed to get up to P4. Pitting after 6 laps, leaving 7 laps on the soft tyre was perhaps a big ask for my ability as I was really struggling with 2 laps to go. Has a really unusual contact from a Mustang behind me that seemed to launch me at mach 5. It made no sense and I've not been able to check the replay as any time I manipulate the replay (fast forward, change car etc) it crashes the game. Not something I've experienced before but will upload a replay if I can. Anyway, finished 6th when 5th may have been possible without the unusual contact.

All in all a great FIA evening for me :tup:

Pigems and TRL LIGHTNING like this.
  13. Jomas

Jomas

What a legendary race it was! Overtakes, letting the opponents making mistakes and being patient was the key here and it was rewarding! (Not point wise since we still have less than 3rd Split's winners :lol:)

14. MIE1992

MIE1992

What do you recommend for a good N500 car? I feel like I'd need a lot more practice with the 991 GT3 RS to be good, so I'm thinking of using the X-Bow R for the time being. Any further suggestions for if I should have TCS on, or potential brake balance settings?

Also, in general, when would you say that it's a good idea to do the following:
    1. Tinker with the brake balance at all. Is it only good for cars that may have power going to the wheels that turn? I.e. a FF or 4WD car?
    2. Use different-strength tire compounds for both axles. E.g. Would an FF (or 4WD) car benefit from using a harder compound for the front wheels and a softer one for the rear?

Is there any benefit to tinkering with these settings on a car that's FR/MR/RR?

15. ntanygd760

ntanygd760

It would be nice if some of these N500 cars had brakes that could actually stop the car in turn 1.

16. schnick

schnick

Round 6 roundup
    Nations: Got a bit lucky in the first Oceania time slot with 4th in the 919 managing tyres AND the battery, banked 1768 points which is OK for Oceania retrying would've been a big gamble.
    Manu: Took 2 tries, 2nd slot was just the right mix of fast people and people that I am a tiny bit faster than, 4th for 1857 which is great points for Aston in Oceania.

Even though 911s are dominating the leaderboard I can't see it working with 33x tyre wear, still trying a whole bunch of other cars in lobbies, should be interesting to see if everyone ends up with a meta or not.

17. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

Subaru GrB road car does it exactly on the cone markes braking points all over the circuit.
    This car can be an option in my opinion even if it is 1 sc to1.5 second slower than the porsche. It's a lot easier to drive and can be driven at a constant fast racing pace.

dlshearon likes this.
  18. Maverick52

Maverick52

I'm no expert but I use brake bias to change the braking characteristics of the car and to help with tire wear.

What I've noticed is rear bias helps take tire wear off the fronts and can help a car "turn" by letting the rear start to slide. Front bias helps the car stop quicker, can eliminate some of that slide, and will wear on the front tires more. How you set it would depend on the car, track, and your driving style for that combo. For example, on a track with a long straight into a hairpin I might want the bias to the front to brake later, but then on a section with tight 90's I might want it to the rear to help the car turn in to the apex. I personally dont adjust it during the race, I find a happy medium in practice, but I could see the benefit to adjusting it on the fly.

On A FF car I'd probably put harder tires on the rear to help counter understeer. I haven't ever tried it though. The only testing I did with this was maxing out a Xbow and trying to run it on special stage X vs gr1 cars. At the high speeds there the car was completely unstable even in a straight line and it needed really sticky rears with hard fronts to stay stable. It's an extreme example but it shows the game does actually alter stability with the tire choices.

MIE1992 likes this.
  19. ntanygd760

ntanygd760

Thank you will check it out. Braking at the markers didn't work as well with the Porsche.

20. Aderrrm

Aderrrm Premium

Was awesome to get a win in my last race as GTP_Aderrrm on Wednesday. Now changed to Williams_Adam41 :D

DSC_0147.JPG

DrAug, nissman, Jomas and 12 others like this.
  21. Baliwa

Baliwa Premium

try make your braking point much further? I put my porsche on 250 mark board and GTR on 200 both is good.

22. 05XR8

05XR8

GT-RT's front tyres were gone in one lap. I guess the lightest car is going to win this race.

Edit: Tried Fre Practice in the Diablo again and the <M4. Just can't get the times below 49 seconds.

Hoping the GT-R can hold on to its tyres.

Edit2: Forget the BoP stuff. This game needs like for like cars to race against. Next time, just make it the GT3 RS Cup.

How about a Gr.3 road Cars only event?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Need4Speed685 likes this.
  23. Need4Speed685

Need4Speed685

So it seems it will be a 991 GT3 RS-fest, since it is the only car capable of putting competitive times in. Such a shame to be honest.

Been doing some practice times before the race and only .313 seconds away from top 10 in my region. Highly unlikely I can match that sort of time in the race.

Anyone know what the tyre degradation on the GT3 RS is like? Probably not considering running purely on Soft tyres since they'll just blister away in a matter of 2-3 laps.

dlshearon likes this.
  24. Lazybike

Lazybike

Tyre wear is pretty bad, Ferrari's were doing OK in the practice lobbies I did yesterday.

25. 05XR8

05XR8

The 911s in my race ran on softs and pitted for softs mid race. I think an F40(1 of 2 in the field) ran hards non stop. I caught up to it on the last lap. I ran SM for 5 laps, then SH.

Problem with my race was at the start. Not only did I get passed, but the jumbo jumps on the brakes right after it passed me. Why? Non of these cars stop on a dime. All it had to do was brake in the line it chose. I had to maneuver out of the way. Couldn't got to the wall on the left as my speed was too great. I missed everyone as I slid down the inside into T1 and off the track. Ridiculous.

Anyway, just bought a Gr.3 WRX to run in next race.

Edit: WRX 3 seconds off my time in the GT-R, but at least I can send the power to 10:90.

dlshearon likes this.
  26. Riptide

Riptide Premium

The Alfa Road Car felt very good too, but also lack pace @ 1sec. slower than the Porsche.

dlshearon and praiano63 like this.
  27. 05XR8

05XR8

[​IMG]

Edit: If tyre wear wasn't so bad, never mind its short gearing, could have been further up.
    [​IMG]

dlshearon and Need4Speed685 like this.
  28. Need4Speed685

Need4Speed685

I kinda of panicked after I forgot to put Medium/Hard tyres on instead of soft. I tell you, those soft tyres do not last long.

I was sliding about by lap 5 and managed to keep the car in check, despite the major oversteer I suffered as a result. Immediately pitted for a fresh set of Softs, and got to finish the race successfully without any major drama.

Started from 14th, finished 9th. Bagged 1,100 points out of it and hopefully I am closer to top 50 in my region. Plus I beat Nations Cup 2018 Asia/Oceania finalist Simon Bishop (sidawg2) which was awesome!

05XR8 likes this.
  29. 05XR8

05XR8

Yeah, I'm thinking of starting on SH and seeing how long they last. The SS weren't as bad as on the GT-R. Consistent as the fronts wore to nearly zero.

The Manufacturers Cup was better second time around. I got more points. However, the penalties again. Pitted twice. Gives me fresh tyres to make up time while everyone pits and then, fresh tyres again for the last third of the race. Crazy to watch how much more grip I have versus cars on one stop.

[​IMG]

Nah, skip it. Done for the night. I'll do a couple Gr.3 DAily races.

dlshearon likes this.
  30. Lazybike

Lazybike

Looks as though the Xbow is worth a try..

dlshearon likes this.