2019 FIA Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by bduddy, Jan 23, 2019.

1. MrCooper

MrCooper

Did you, and did it work? It occurred to me after my race that no-stopping might have got me victory instead of „only“ 2nd place (was the most FIA points I got for a single race so far anyway though, plus my first pole :dopey:). Then again, the car was getting rather twitchy for me as of the 5th lap, so not sure I could have pulled it off.

2. garix

garix

Anyone knows why there are no races next Wednesday? Did I miss something?

3. Winnie847

Winnie847

I ended up with a surprisingly satisfying result in my MFG race yesterday. I'm a Mazda driver and for most of the season so far I've felt cursed by tire wear in the Gr.4 races. Tire wear is really the only thing that hinders us here, as the Gr.4 Atenza does have great pace for the first few laps of almost any race. Despite the curse, I was determined to get at least one good race in.

Jumped in the MFG Free Practice session and was able to pull off a low 1:23 with little practice, which was good enough for 4th on my friends' list, much higher than I had anticipated. Practice lobbies went well, was able to qualify in the top 3 every time and my pace was great until one or two laps before pitting on each stint, at which time I started driving defensively when needed.

Joined the first MFG slot, it was almost a 2000-point room, just under. Probably the 2nd or 3rd split since it was mostly A/S drivers with a few A+ at the top. Told myself I'd be happy with Top 10 given the circumstances. Had a great qualifying session and started in P3, which is an improvement for me recently as I usually make a lot of mistakes in qualy. However, I knew I'd lose positions once my tires started to go, so I'd be lucky to hold onto the Top 5.

Not a very eventful race, except that I maintained a great pace and stayed away from penalties and incidents for a clean finish in P5. I felt like I had the pace for Top 3 if my tires didn't wear quicker than those who were passing me in smaller, lighter non-AWD cars. P5 for nearly 1600 points was good enough to bump me into 2nd place for Mazda, so it looks like I'm going to have a pretty close shootout with Hawk-89GT to see who holds onto P2.

Happy Racing gents. See you all next Saturday as it seems there's a short break from FIA this week with no Wednesday races.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Dezcom, O_Maverick_O, Pfei and 2 others like this.
  4. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

I non-stopped both the F40 and the X-Bow. Overall, I feel like I came out even or a little ahead. However, only scored around 2000 points which means I will miss out on Nations Superstars. Rather disappointed but I figured that was a real possibility since it's all about scoring big points over consistency.

But back to no stopping. I'll have my F40 video up later where you see my fronts actually gave out faster than the rears. I actually wasn't planning to no stop and so I could've added more rear bias and be more gentle with my braking. The X-Bow required using high gears to save the rears. In fact, watching replays showed me that this was a good tactic overall since it was far easier and faster to power out of corners. Just had to time upshifts right.

On a sidebar, Manu had me inadvertently touching someone off, a disconnect and downright appalling driving to where I was ready to use my Wreckfest skills. It was that bad and yes, that will be its own video.

Dezcom, Pigems, MrCooper and 2 others like this.
  5. HellzFire

HellzFire

Because there was a World Tour previously planned at that date, but PD couldn't make the venue available in time.

Dezcom, bduddy, Cerebral303 and 3 others like this.
  6. Warte

Warte

Do you see the guy flickering in front of you in the first lap of Nations? Somehow it hit me, being 13th, I almost jumped out of my chair :lol:. But I feel sorry for him, he was very fast but was betrayed by his internet connection. Anyway, congrats :cheers:.

HellzFire likes this.
  7. xtro01

xtro01

I Had 2 good races yesterday back to back nation cup quali 6th and finished 5th after being punted to p18 in the first corner. Poor guy completely missed the braking zone. Manufacturer I qualified 3rd and finished 5th after an awesome race with some nice clean fighting between 2nd-7th. I got tired and I hit the wall on the last turn in lap10. I was 3 sec ahead and could have finished p3... Still some good points!

8. HellzFire

HellzFire

Yeah, it was terrible. Luckily I could dispatch him quickly enough.

Warte likes this.
  9. Maverick52

Maverick52

In Manufacturers yesterday I made it home just in time to enter the first race and put down a couple practice laps. I really dislike that track in reverse and had considered not racing it, so I didn't even put much practice in leading up to race day.

Anyways, my practice laps went well but once I was in qualifying everything fell apart. Between mistakes I made early on, mistakes other players made impacting my laps, and having to pit I never was able to set a time and ended up in dead last in a lobby that for me was quite good points wise. I should have qualified in the top 10 for sure and likely around p5 if I had done a decently good lap.

The race was mostly uneventful, I picked up a handful of places in a few laps, but got sent to the back of the pack again by an aggressive Corvette (they really seem to hate Mustangs ;)) Worked my way back up a handful of places again and finished in 16th.

Gave the 2nd race a shot since it couldn't go much worse... This time I qualified p6 and finished in 4th. Had one tiny tap from a guy who went off track & flying back on and caught a really iffy .5s penalty on one corner. Almost a perfectly clean race. The only bummer was that due to finishing so poorly in the first race this second race was a lot less points despite the qualifying times being just as good.

Didn't do the 3rd race as I decided to keep the points (beat one of my other point totals just slightly) and had other things I wanted to do by then.

Cerebral303 likes this.
  10. MrBrunoA

MrBrunoA

Thanks, man. I might return one day, who knows, but right now the feeling I have is of time being wasted. There's more frustration than joy, so it's time to take a brake. Besides the problem with tires, GTS changed my routine a bit too much. There were days when I had to rush back home in time to enter a race, or even refrain from drinking wine so that I could perform better, lol. There's also the problem of races at 10 PM. I used to race the 8 PM slot only, but since the podium of this first race is owned by Nico, Didico & co, I ended up doing two races this season, which means finishing at 11 PM and taking more time to wind down after the adrenaline rush. I'd be happy to dedicate some evenings to GTS if the quality of the races was like last year's, but at the moment it's not worth it.

Warte likes this.
  11. GT_Alex74

GT_Alex74

Could always try league events, might fit your schedule and expectations better.

Warte and bloodyboyblue like this.
  12. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

Here's proof I non-stopped the F40. I believe someone also did this in Oceania. I did confirm I burned up the fronts too much with the brakes. Too bad I didn't go back to it since the upside of the F40 was that I qualified a lot better with it.

And yet another video of Slowbaru getting destroyed on the straight. Now with added poor racecraft in a top split lobby, to put it very nicely. Thankfully got balanced out by an excellent battle where I risked incurring track limit penalties to stay ahead.

kjeldsen, Warte and Dezcom like this.
  13. schnick

schnick

I tried the no stop F40 but wore out the tyres a bit too much when battling, I think a few others in Oceania tried with but also fell victim to the Xbows which ended up winning all 3 slots, I know because I tried all 3 slots and won a weaker top split in the last slot.

Also had to try manu 3 times, in the last slot got beaten by a VW, was quite a long and annoying night.

14. gtpierre

gtpierre

I also realized this when I saw people doing no stop at catalunya and when I saw how much more grip they had than me while my tyres were getting more and more red.

FIA (manufacturers) races were cleaner, more fun, and a more interesting format to race, but I guess I have to stick to the daily race A and B with no tyre wear because these are the only races in which I can be competitive.
    I'm also a DS4 player, i'm fine with losing because the lines I chose make me slower, but losing because my tyres are worned out after 5 laps while a guy that qualified slower than me can make his tyres last for 8 laps or more (and has the choice of a no stop while I don't) is not OK.

Warte, Dezcom and MrBrunoA like this.
  15. HERE4BEER3

HERE4BEER3

I gave nations another shot this weekend. I took the last 2 races off after the :censored: show that was the Super Formula race.

Not a bad race. I went with the F40. A good mix of X-bows,911s, F40s and few randoms like the GT by Citroen who I had a good fight with, I qualified and finished P7. Good for 695 points, which was my best so far this miserable season. Ideally at my skill level I need around 1000 points a race to get within earshot of my goal of being top DR:B driver in the region. I could have gotten a better result as I'll mention below. I figured after the miserable season I've had thus far I might as well just take the points. I didn't want to risk getting run off in another attempt and lose the little confidence I got back from this race. I need to bounce back now and hopefully get a few 1000 point finishes in the next few races.

The race was good and clean as they normally are with slower cars in the lower rungs. I took P5 after claiming the inside on T1(cleanly) I kept it for a while but a 3 second penalty for sending a guy off put me back. Not much I could do, I broke a tad late and I was full on the brakes and just slid into him at T3, sorry bud. I got P5 back sometime after the pits but with such a tight field 2 bad turns and I dropped back. I fought with the GT by Citroen for a few laps. The thing was crazy fast in the big right hander after T3, he'd over take me there then I'd get him later on the lap. Then I made a mess of the tight hairpin going into the chicane and I could not catch him after.

16. Achika_Kuonji

Achika_Kuonji

Do you think that PD planned a World Tour on Wednesday?

17. MrBrunoA

MrBrunoA

Lobby races are boring, but this could be fun. Might try them if I end up missing GTS. Any good ones you recommend? How do I find them?

18. speeeyskells

speeeyskells

I thought it would have been for the April update but no Kaz teasers yet if we talking about the gap in the FIA races

19. GT_Alex74

GT_Alex74

Look around here in GTS Online Racing & Leagues. Ask people, add them as friends on PSN (aliens and organizers don't bite). I'm staff of IGTL, and I'd say it's also good to let people know you want to join that kind of event even if there's none currently unveiled.

On GTPlanet you can find some american leagues such as VRR or GTSRL, although you might be interested in european organizations such as TSR or NES since that would make it happen earlier in the day for you. GT Fusion also has a good amount of south american competitors, but the combos being unveiled 3 weeks early and people practicing a lot during that time, it might not be what you're looking for. One off events are also worth looking into.

KONTRAone, Warte and SpecMiata-JSW like this.
  20. MrBrunoA

MrBrunoA

Don't know how I missed the GT League forum linked in the homepage. Will do some research there. Thanks for the tips!

GT_Alex74, Warte and bloodyboyblue like this.
  21. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

My only thought about the FIA races, they should make the practice time trial with fuel/tyre wear just like quali. Otherwise those times are just useless except for bragging rights. I don't even bother practicing there now and just set my own room in online lobby with the appropriate tyre/fuel consumption. Why practice in perfect conditions when that's not the condition under which you race?

Apart from that I've been really enjoying the FIA races this season. It's my first full on assault (not that I'm expecting to reach the finals) and you really get to feel you're part of a motorsport championship. When you see the same drivers week in week out you do develop camaraderie and (healthy) rivalry just like in real life :D I hope the official Manufacturers Cup starts soon though. It's getting a bit late isn't it?

Dezcom, Warte and ExplorerPhs like this.
  22. RZQSPEED

RZQSPEED

The absence of an FIA race on the 17th is also when the Indonesian General Elections take place, coincidentally...

23. HellzFire

HellzFire

American regional finals last year was on a wednesday.

24. 05XR8

05XR8

I tried the '08 GT-R in Free Practice. Was 0.7 seconds slower. The tail doesn't feel planted. Still, wonder if anyone will use it in my race.

As for Bathurst, can't wait to run it and watch the replay.

Edit:

Nations was cool! Qualified on Rms and stayed on them to check how long I could run on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started on RMs and was able to keep up with the cars ahead. Other than many cars having offs and penaltied, I was able to move up the field during pit stops.

Pitted one lap later than cars on RS tyres. Jumped one or two positions on exit. Just attacked the cars ahead. Was able to grab two positions. Plus one or two cars going off.
    Totally expected to run below 15th, as I didn't know who were running as long as me.

Now, onto the mountain...

Edit2: Awesome result. Big gamble on the no stopper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    dlshearon and SpecMiata-JSW like this.
  25. Sidawg2

Sidawg2

So, because there's no +1000 point kicker in these superstar races, if you're basically out of the top 2/3 its gonna be a drop round for you. At least for Oceania. Bit of a non-event really!

Rangeraus and Need4Speed685 like this.
  26. JayOTT

JayOTT

I was indeed thinking that the Superstars multiplier might be too low given that a smaller field (16 in this case) lowers the points table, as I'm sure many top players have noticed in the past when they don't end up in a full 20 player room. It turned out mostly fine for Oceania; first place was 2,821 points in Nations and 2,810 in Manufacturers when the highest non-superstar lobby to date was 2,517. But Europe's top 16 is at risk of not even being the highest scoring lobby of the stage (3,105 is a hard number to break, though I think they will get 3.2k or just under as long as no-one DC's before the points calculation).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  27. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

Not much of a round for me. Attempted the no stopper on a whim as I was down in 7th at the time, was not the go at all but I had nothing to lose.

Although the Manu top 16 proved a little more interesting, with a crazy last lap. My perspective below.

Below is a bit of an analysis of the incidents at the end of the top 16 superstars race. Incidents at the front and rear of the field. Good times :D

schnick likes this.
  28. LotusEvoraGTE

LotusEvoraGTE

Got barely any practice in for both Manufacturers and Nations because I've been spending the past few days playing other games but I ended up in 10th in Manufacturers and 13th place in Nations.

Could've been 9th place in Nations but I messed up the first turn of Autopolis on the second-last lap and had it ruined by some guy who spun me into a wall.

29. JonnoW

JonnoW

Is a no stop feasible in the Manufacturers race? I know the tyres will do it but is it competitive versus two Medium stints? My Toyota felt a real handful during the few laps I did on the Hards but the pit lane feels pretty long at Bathurst. Decisions decisions...

30. RZQSPEED

RZQSPEED

Don't No-Stop on Meds. Try to do it on Hards instead. Otherwise, 1-stop on Meds!