2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Mustang is no joke.
16143404682424430815849130822229.jpg

Doing a test to select which manufacturer I'll sign... right now it is, based on Gr.3 laps on Kyoto Yamagiwa:

1. Subaru
2. Chevrolet
3. Mitsubishi

Will need to test Gr.4 laps and fuel/tire consumption on both - maybe later, since first Manufacturers race isn't until Wednesday.

1 When there is a tyre choice do you have to start on the tyres you use for qualy?

You have a little bit of time to change your tires if needed between the end of qualifying and the start of the race. Use the wrench icon to change tire. The other icon next to it (I can't remember what it is called right now) may not stick. Change fronts first. Don't waste time with salutations until after you change your tires.....

Last edited:
Those changes to the RX-V have transformed its handling. Solid solid(did I mention solid?) handling!:eek:👍 Ran a 1.29.999 in my alt(A/S) at Interlagos. Did a Race B no qualy, in an A+/A/S room. Straightline speed is a worry. However, the handling is laughable. the ease of catching cars in corners is ridiculous. Can play with lifting the throttle, to pin point accuracy for rotation. BB is left at -2.
Suspension is smooth over curbs. 2nd or 3rd gear at The Four Brothers(TFB) was easy.

I purposefully unsettled the car at the infield of Interlagos. Can recover with no problems. I drive this car alot and I believe a novice can enjoy it straight away. FIA Race conditions are going to be the test. Might be similar to the WRX & Evo in handling and speed.

Last edited:
Only dumb question, is the one not asked.
:cheers:

We’ve all asked our fair share and I’m still always learning something new on here.
:gtpflag:

Unfortunately it's not true, there are many dumb questions!! But most questions are good, hopefully most of the questions I ask are not the dumb kind. Mind you I'd still rather ask a dumb question and look stupid, than not ask a good question and be stupid.

Unfortunately it's not true, there are many dumb questions!! But most questions are good, hopefully most of the questions I ask are not the dumb kind. Mind you I'd still rather ask a dumb question and look stupid, than not ask a good question and be stupid.
:lol::lol: I don't judge, not my job & wouldn't want it. :dopey:
A lot of questions can be answered with a simple search. His were good questions and so are "most" of yours. :sly::P:lol: (joke)
From my perspective, there are a ton of new players due to C19 and that's a good thing for us online racers.
I just try to remember when I came back to GT with GTS and then found this place.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Some real interesting races in the season, and some real doozy (read:lazy copy pasta) ones by PD.

Looking forward:
- BMB Infield B in Gr.1 (a lot of people are going to eat the wall in that last 90 degree corner :lol:)
- Sardegna rally :D:D:D
- Sardegna C Gr.4 Manu (short lap races with lots of laps always opens up strategy)
- Spa Wet Gr.3 (13 laps of the lowest grip rain condition - true test of concentration :crazy:)
- Tokyo South Gr.3 + GRID START (T1 carnaaaaage :lol:)

Yawn:
- Fuji GR Yaris (copied from first race of World Tour Nations)
- RBR Kart (kerbs + track limits + kart collision physics = Narnia for days)
- Laguna Cayman vs Vette (had this a few season ago, except this one is grid start so the Vette might have a chance)
- Interlagos Gr.3 (copied from final race of WT Manu, except shorter by 10 laps and higher multipliers :yuck:)

Only 2 races count this time, so might be worth picking a meta car for 1-2 races instead of an all rounder.

And keeping their website up-to-date and accessible.

I noticed that too. I was quick enough to save the replay from IOF_Racing before he lost his place in the top 10 at Yamagiwa. I was very excited to see someone with the calibre of Josette (I believe) drive the R.S.01 to such great hights. It's an absolute stunning car (just look at my avatar (work in progress)) and a femme fatal at heart... trying ney... succeeding to kill you just about every other lap. But I just keep coming back for more.

In livestreams from Tigney/Ollie/Kireth etc. I try to persuade them to use it, but they never do... and I can fully understand why. But I'd love to see her handled by a better drive like Tigney.

I am so in love with this car and suck so bad at it. I'm even digging through the forum posts to see if there are helpful posts. They are out there but most just try to persuade me to pick something else
clip_image001.gif
:lol:

Thanks for the tips. I did find all required stats on FIA races and had just stumbled on the gtsport.r1s3 website that has really excellent additional data! I really encourage anyone interested in that sort of thing to take a look. Coincidentally that data made very clear for me why there is such a big average point difference between the top 10 drivers of each make. For example the R.S.01 and Megane only had 2 (one!) A+ drivers on average per round. The C4 is even worse off with just 1 A+ driver on average per race. I really wonder what would happen if - like the last live shows - people like Lightning, Miyazono and Lamb would join forces once more and just decided that this time they would make the R.S.01 champion. I bet they could pull that off, I'm sure of it!

I was hoping some data on this would be available for dailies as well, just because I'm curious like that
clip_image002.gif

Again: good tips. I started out I started with the Mazda in Exhibition series 2 2020 because I wanted to feel comfortable learning to be fast and getting my first experience at race craft. And i think you are right in most cases; the driver makes the car and the race work not the other way round. Some cars are just harder (yes I'm looking at you "ma belle" R.S.) to master. That's when you have to start waying in time vs reward.

Hope to see you on the race track!

Cheers,

Seth

Hey sorry for the late reply. The RS01 can be quite tricky to drive, like all MR cars in GTS it has this weird lift off oversteer at slower speeds. I used it last year and the biggest tip I can give you is be smooth, make use of the high mid corner speed and trace wide arcs for the racing line (avoid doing a "V" shape racing line). If you keep it above a certain speed the downforce will make it stick, but in very slow corners like hairpins and chicanes you just need to be careful. Keeping a bit of gas while braking can also help stabilise the rear end. Unfortunately it's one of the slowest cars in a straight line, so overtaking is difficult. You just have to qualify well and defend hard.

And a bit of extra motivation for you ;)

Real racing also doesn't arbitrarily ban you from racing while you're on the grid waiting for the lights to go out, or let the guy that took you out for some perceived slight carry on racing.

Multiple time slots are a necessary step to account for disconnects and bastards.

IMO, keep multiple time slots (but not too many, 3 is enough), but bring back single try. There should be a mechanism that allows you to enter another slot if you got disconnected from the server (instead of quitting), but it's going to be difficult to prove if it's a true server problem, or you just pulled your ethernet cable.

The problem with multiple tries is, it cheapens the racing. If you know you're going to do another slot, you just drive like a maniac in the first one, at the expense of people who genuinely are trying to race properly there. With single shot FIA, everyone will be forced to use their brain every time they are thinking of making a pass (or trying to defend too hard). That on-the-fly risk-reward judgment is what's missing from GT FIA currently. Sure accidents will still happen and it sucks, but that's racing. In general, over time the dirty drivers will get tired of the game and leave, leaving only the good drivers. The current FIA format + penalty system actively rewards bad driving, and the player pool has been deteriorating steadily since last year. It's just a vicious circle.

With random disconnects, I guess it's just the simracing equivalent of mechanical failures. That's the purpose of only 1/3 results being counted. If you get disconnected from >2/3 of races then I'm sorry but the problem is with your internet, and not with the game.

I know @Tidgney and many other WT participants feel the same way about this, and they sure have a lot more credibility than me :lol:

Those changes to the RX-V have transformed its handling. Solid solid(did I mention solid?) handling!:eek:👍 Ran a 1.29.999 in my alt(A/S) at Interlagos. Did a Race B no qualy, in an A+/A/S room. Straightline speed is a worry. However, the handling is laughable. the ease of catching cars in corners is ridiculous. Can play with lifting the throttle, to pin point accuracy for rotation. BB is left at -2.
Suspension is smooth over curbs. 2nd or 3rd gear at The Four Brothers(TFB) was easy.

I purposefully unsettled the car at the infield of Interlagos. Can recover with no problems. I drive this car alot and I believe a novice can enjoy it straight away. FIA Race conditions are going to be the test. Might be similar to the WRX & Evo in handling and speed.

Agree the RXV is crazy good now. Weird 2nd gear oversteer is gone, car just sticks in the low speed corners. Tyre wear is even better than before, no need to move BB forwards (which kills entry rotation). Acceleration is same old, but that's nothing new.

Such a shame I've used Mazda before, so I can't use it again.

Last edited:
Well after a bunch of time trying several manufacturers I signed on with Chevy. I know the GR4 car doesn't get much love, but it's predictable for me and I can get it over the mountain on Bathurst with worn tires, so that's a plus. I really wanted Mazda, but since I really enjoy Bathurst and DTS, I wanted a car I'd like and the Atenza was OK on good tires, but as a DS4 player, that doesn't last long for me.

In the end I can hear the cries of disappointment from the Mazdaspeed folks. Nothing sells your racing program like a mediocre factory driver, and they have missed out this season.

I know @Tidgney and many other WT participants feel the same way about this, and they sure have a lot more credibility than me :lol:

I just feel like the FIA lost it's magic with multiple tries. I mean I literally got disconnected at the final round of 2018 where I had a very, very good chance to qualify Peugeot and even with that I prefer 1 shot. I also feel like it helps people with jobs and/or time differences and such as I must admit coming in and playing against someone who's already done 4 slots is a tad frustrating!

I mean for me personally, 1 shot or alternatively an entry limit system. Lets say there's 6 rounds now so you have 8 entries available to you, once used up they are used up.

No problem. Thx for the tips an vid!

That thing about not being able to use a brand again. Is that an official rule or your own idea/policy?

Nah that's just my own rule. In addition to that I don't use Manu that have both FR cars in Gr.3/4 (e.g Merc, Jag, Toyota, Aston, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Lexus, BMW, Hyundai). So I'm down to just 5 Manu that I can choose for the upcoming season (Porsche, Honda, Alfa, Nissan, VW). Also only 1 attempt at each race and 30 mins practice. And avoid meta in Nations when possible. Gotta keep things interesting :)

Last edited:
I am not a fan of single-attempt, though I wouldn't be against limiting to maybe 2 entries per round.

Last year I don't feel like it was really an issue in Oceania (maybe also Asia) where everyone knows that slot 1 or 2 is nearly always the 40 point slot, with a noticeable points drop-off from there. But in EMEA the 40-point slot could realistically be any of 4-5 (of 6?) time slots. So that's where being able to enter 4-5 slots in a day becomes a huge advantage.

If you get disconnected from >2/3 of races then I'm sorry but the problem is with your internet, and not with the game.

I got disconnected on matchmaking 18 times last year, which only stopped happening after the June game update (same for several other people who reported the same issue). I had tried a shopping list of troubleshooting fixes on my end but nothing else addressed it.

Polyphony don't provide any customer service, nor list specific technical issues addressed in patch notes, so I don't think anyone can categorically say that "the issue is with your internet" is true in all of these cases.

IMO, keep multiple time slots (but not too many, 3 is enough), but bring back single try.
This is incomprehensible to me. If they bring ba k single try then what's the problem with more slots? As they are now most grown-ups with family can't participate in the Saturday races in EMEA where the last race is 20:20.
If it's going to be single try I don't see the harm in more slots unless you are afraid of people getting too spread out

Back