2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Done a couple of lobby races to get a feel for race conditions. Seems like it’s a race based on trust! Trusting the other drivers to not do anything silly heading towards T1 :lol: Was nudged into track limit penalties a couple of times.
Did see 2 cars in my mirrors go sailing off at Curva Grande on cold tires :lol:

I just need to make sure I’m concentrating fully as both races I ended up going wide at the second lesmo corner and scrubbing my speed.

well, duhhhh. :lol:

both not really my strong points.....

Really the biggest general note I can give you is: If you're anything like me, you need to brake earlier than you think. And if you're under slipstream, you need to brake much earlier than you think. I can't tell you how many times I thought I was braking plenty early under slipstream only to punt the guy ahead of me. Practice races is really the only way you'll get it.

Also, I've found that squaring Lesmo 1 a bit helped my lap time more than I thought it would.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

A bit late, but my Nations Rd 1 video is here!

After I finished with F1 writing on Saturday, joined the 3rd slot. One and done for me.
Qualy was OK, not my best laps, but it was enough for P6.
Start went quite well. I braked early, but there was no rammers or any idiots in my area, so I could turn in, and do the switcheroo against some drivers. Later one the lap they all overtook me back, because of my misjudged braking and of course there were some door-knocking as well.

I had a good battle with the white Yaris with the Italian driver. He/She was clearly faster, but made more mistakes. My Achilles heel was the last corner, I always struggled there and my exit was horrible at the start/finish straight.

I pitted at the end of lap 6, and had a chance for P5, but grabbed P6 after a lap of full adrenaline and a big mistake. Didn't want to risk with no pitting, I always suck on really used tyres.

My best moments: 0:30, 12:50
My worst moments: 2:05 (because of minor contact), 6:10, 21:23 :scared:
Funny: 10:35 :D

PS: Forgot to put in the big red REPLAY signs. So when the PlayStation X fades in, a replay starts and when the PlayStation O fades out, it ends.

PS2: I always racing with my own paint job. It has a "clean" version (only red, black and white), which his was created for the Toyota competition for the PS5.

Last edited:
So, I was practising for Manufacturers today. I got the tow on a McLaren at the start, took the inside into Curva Grande when he didn’t defend it, and this happened:

I thought it was a perfectly legit move, since he didn’t bother to cover the inside and paid for it, but he thought otherwise and called me a rammer.

Sadly, I was unable to screenshot the chat, as while I was typing out my defence after the race, he got to be host after a bunch of people left and kicked me.

Last edited:
So, I was practising for Manufacturers today. I got the tow on a McLaren at the start, took the inside into Curva Grande when he didn’t defend it, and this happened:

I thought it was a perfectly legit move, since he didn’t bother to cover the inside and paid for it, but he thought otherwise and called me a rammer.

Sadly, I was unable to screenshot the chat, as while I was typing out my defence after the race, he got to be host after a bunch of people left and kicked me.

Well, they did leave the door wide open, surely racing requires you to go for the gap when you see it? Guess a case of learning from seeing this.

Definitely not a corner worth trying to go side by side, unless you're familiar with the other driver and trust them.

You did nothing wrong. He lacked situational awareness. He turned in on you, then he bounced off.

The way he bounces off, I wonder if there were lag issues? You certainly didn’t do anything wrong, he had plenty of room.

That’s what the radar is for!!

Thinking of skipping the Manu Rd 2 at Monza. This Gr. 3 Audi R8-experience is like driving on ice in the corners, there's no rear grip at all. I'm slow at the straights as well.

Don't really know what should I do, skip this round or fight for low points :confused: I welcome any advices :)
I will surely miss the Interlagos race at 12.26., so I have 6 or 7 races to get a decent result in this series.

Thinking of skipping the Manu Rd 2 at Monza. This Gr. 3 Audi R8-experience is like driving on ice in the corners, there's no rear grip at all. I'm slow at the straights as well.

Don't really know what should I do, skip this round or fight for low points :confused: I welcome any advices :)
I will surely miss the Interlagos race at 12.26., so I have 6 or 7 races to get a decent result in this series.
You might as well race it. It just might work out for you. Only our best races count towards points anyway, right? Unless you’re worried about a DR drop

Yes, I worry about that. This R8 LMS is 8-9 kph slower before Curva Grande than a Dodge, not mentioning the slipstream... I think I will have better chances maybe in Willow Springs with the Gr. 3 car.

You're probably best off racing and getting the practice in so when the combo comes around again you'll improve on it. Also Willow will be in the Gr4 cars I believe for rd 3.

You're probably best off racing and getting the practice in so when the combo comes around again you'll improve on it. Also Willow will be in the Gr4 cars I believe for rd 3.

Correct, the next one will be on GT4 and I'm afraid but rnd 4 will be bluemoon speedway (another slipstream race with medium and hard tires mandatory).

But the 6 and 8 rounds sounds more interesting for GT3 whiteout fastest top speed (will be Dragon trail gardens II and Lago Maggiore Center)

Not only was it a clean pass they turned into you (you were at least 1/4-1/2 car ahead) so the heck with them. It is childish they way he booted you too - must have been a child or spoiled adult. Hard to tell nowadays.

Slightly late but anyways, quali lap was ok other than the last corner which was poor but was higher up the grid than I thought I'd be. Managed to survive the start but then dropped after losing momentum in the 2nd half of the lap. I wasn't really in a great position so switched to 1 stop and made back some ground. Going off the people that finished ahead of me I probably lost a couple of positions by pitting but it did mean I kept it on the track and was a bit more fun this way.

You can look at it this way, every practice race I have had the R8 passes my NSX on the straights every time. I have been trying to figure out straightaway speed myself.

Last edited:
You can look at it this way, every practice race I have had the R8 passes my NSX on the straights every time. I have been trying to figure out straightaway speed myself.

It will be an interesting race. Driving the Atenza. Probably be racing towards the back of the pack.

May come down to who can take care of their tyres the best and maintain consistent lap times.

Track penalties won't be as bad as round 1. But that chicane, will definitely catch a few people out. Not to mention, even a .5s penalty is brutal around Monza. Works out to over 1s lost.

So that's what happened. You were the only car I finished ahead of.

I finished both my races in the pits after giving up. First race was because I drove like 🤬 . Second race I was ok until I got tangled with another driver in a ticky tack battle, let the sketchy moves pushing me off rattle me, then drove like:censored:.

On review I just let myself get rattled in both races and drove poorly after getting punted. Leading to me having unnecessary dodgy battles, all of which I lost. Need to figure out tips to calm down and maintain some decent driving standards or I'll have to bail this season as I will end up only ruining others. I already did ruin 1 persons qualifying in my first race so not the look I want to start. They did get me back by pushing me off twice in the race without penalty.

Not sure Monza is going to help me.:nervous:
Monza is going to be like light traffic. You want to stay behind the car ahead and cruise, but they just aren't quite doing the speed limit. So, you have to pass!

Followed a top 10 NSX and R8, by the time we reach the start/finish line for my next flying lap, I'm way ahead. I lose time after the chicane, at both right-handers. Just not getting the cornering and the Supra has pretty good off-throttle tuck in. Cross the line and I'm .8 behind.

Monza is going to be like light traffic. You want to stay behind the car ahead and cruise, but they just aren't quite doing the speed limit. So, you have to pass!

Followed a top 10 NSX and R8, by the time we reach the start/finish line for my next flying lap, I'm way ahead. I lose time after the chicane, at both right-handers. Just not getting the cornering and the Supra has pretty good off-throttle tuck in. Cross the line and I'm .8 behind.
Yeah, with my DR going all.over the place I dont know who I am going to see in this race. And last time I was here I made a real hash of the track limits at that chicane. Going to be interesting at least. As long as I dont disappear to dead last again. :scared:

Was in the same split as @Redneckchef.

Q10 after my first flying lap was slowed by someone thinking 2 wide into Ascari would be quicker and then a Beetle got a penalty on my second flying lap and gave up by literally parking on the apex of Lesmo 1 right in front of me. Needless to say I hit him.

Race was reasonably clean but I copped a 3 sec penalty when I was pin balled into the back of a Corvette entering Parabolica. Had fought from p12 to P4 by lap 9 and was pulling a second a lap on P3 up to lap 13 when I braked too late for the chicane and hit the bollards. A podium gone in the blink of an eye. @Redneckchef and several others went past me as I reset.

Ultimately finished p7 for 113 points. I should be one and done BUT I feel like I have a better finish in me and this really should be my strongest combo in Manu. I’ll see how I feel in a few minutes.

Edit: I will be one and done as the 3 sec penalty dropped me to SR 81.

Last edited:
No more Gr.3 for me, in this car. Give me the RC F....
EoORxTtVgAU8Dag

EoOSEY3UcAAyvFG

Clean racing with JohhnySpeed, the Atenza and NismoNath. Tight.

Defining moment for me(other than me getting .5seconds behind NismoNath):

Last edited:
Was just in my lobby. Got door 13 running the big Cat. Had @D_Dragline and a few other friendly faces in the lobby. Somehow miracles up a p4 starting spot. With the wild slipstream I was p3 heading into curva Grande. The beetle who had been ahead tried the outside line on cold tires and ran straight off.

Worked to try and keep pace with the leaders and build a gap. The car behind got a 0.5 at the first chicane, so it was working. Then I braked way early for Ascari, the lambo ahead braked even earlier and I got a 2 second penalty. :banghead:

I had pace so just put my head down and went. Dropped to p8 but drafted and passed back to p7. Then someone crashed to give me p6. Someone runs slightly wide and their dirty tires give me p5. Then @D_Dragline gets bitten by the first chicane and I make it to p4. P5 comes with and we swap places a couple of times. I get a big run heading to parabolica on the last lap but they covered it off in their BMW. Then their worn tires bite and they wash wide. I win the drag race to the line for p4 and some banging points. For me at least. :cheers:👍

Up the front it was really good respectful racing and looked quite nice. Little mistakes add up quickly here though.

Good luck and sticky tires to you all taking the plunge.:gtpflag:

32EC5F90-BEE3-45BD-9FB2-D694681C9EB8.jpeg

Penalty system sucks! So annoyed. Had qualified miles better then I thought I would, especially without slipstream. Lap 1 everyone got through fine. Lap 2, Beetle behind got past with with the draft down the straight and the Amg behind him decided to try and follow as we approached the chicane. He couldn’t slow down in time and punted the Beetle off. As I exited the chicane, the spinning beetle came sliding back onto the track at 90 degrees into my door, smacking me off into the dirt giving me a 4 second penalty for ‘forcing another car off the track’. Put me down in 16th. Picked up another two 1 second penalties for apparently touching the car in front. Ruined what would have been a good race/result. Forgot to save the reply to show just how pathetic the penalties were.

EEB79A4E-AF75-4753-8529-D8EF22E90EBF.jpeg

Slot 1 - D I S C O N N E C T E D

3 years and they still can't get reliable servers :rolleyes: Now I understand why iRacing costs so much.

Slot 2 - expected the worst with R8 but actually as long as you're in slipstream it's not too bad. Just keep it clean, don't battle a faster car and benefit from other people's misfortunes. Quali 16th (messed up the chicane because I overestimated how fast I arrived with slip :ouch:). Usual lap 1 shenanigans and dropped back to 20th (becoming a theme here), and worked together with a Jaaaaag to pull me up all the way to 12th. Unfortunately the Audi starts to get really twitchy around lap 8 or so and I lost the slip, but thankfully settled into a nice gap and no one could catch my slip either. A Porsche caught up on the last lap when my tyres got really bad, but I covered the inside going into Ascari and Parabolica and survived. Phew!

There was an Evo and RS01 who finished ahead of me (both among one of the slowest cars in Gr.3), so even if you don't drive a top speed car don't give up! This race is as much a roulette as the SSRX one :lol:

Got 3 penalties like this one (after starting on pole) dropped to SR 82 so can't do slot 2:

It said "Forcing another car off track" - where?

I'm guessing the contact between you and Supra + both of you cutting the chicane slightly is enough to trigger "Forcing a Car Off Track".

Classic PD logic.

Back