2019 Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken d'ItaliaFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 437 comments
It was an incredible race, I was right at the edge of my seat and it was an amazing display of skill by Leclerc, congtats!

Is it controversial to say that first corner is bad?I think the track would flow way better with no first corner chickane.

Some highlights :

Congrats to LeClerc he held two mercedes but that Ferrari is very OP on the straights holy hell.

Oh look the renaults didnt fall apart.Ricc deserved this.

Vettel behind a williams...again.

If HAM had bottas's tires he probably would've won the race.

What the hell were those track rejoins
I've always disliked the first chicane, but I think you shouldn't take it out completely, just replace it with something better.

Yet again this season, a dramatic moment ensues that COMPELS the director to switch to a crowd shot in live time (this was when Seb span at Ascari).

He was a split-second from tagging Stroll before they cut away from that shot, and then it's a good 4, 5 seconds before they cut back and we see the aftermath with Stroll turned around with Vettel slowly trundling away. Why do the directors now feels it is so necessary to show those reactions in real time, over adding it into the replay a minute after the event?!

Granted, there may have been extenuating circumstances considering the events of last weekend... it was a turned around car on a high-speed corner, so the director may have just cut to a different angle out of precaution. But as I said, it's not the first time those kind of cuts have happened, and quite frankly it's frustrating as hell (see Silverstone this year).

Some nice intense driving today from LeClerc & Hamilton top draw stuff very entertaining. Gotta say LeClerc is the number 1 driver at Ferrari now consistency in qualifying and a cool temper unlike his team mate... Speaking of... Vettels fall from grace continues... an un-pressurised mistake today and an extremely dangerous re-entry to the track, gotta feel sorry for Stroll... In Seb's post race interview he said he didn't see Stroll coming, but on the replay you can see him looking first to his left and then just going for it...

Its interesting how the top 3 bottled at the first corner chickane.Even the best of drivers cant always handle that corner.

Always hated going through the chickane with a controller in the F1 games.

Why do the directors now feels it is so necessary to show those reactions in real time?

Given that the personnel is different from race to race and yet the behavior stays the same, the conclusion would be that it’s a Liberty mandate.

You were expecting him to do what Hamilton couldn't do?
Yes - if Bottas is ever going to win a World Championship with Mercedes, he must do better than Hamilton.

But in this specific circumstance, he had fresher tyres and yet he still didn't get anywhere near as close to passing LeClerc as Hamilton did.

As far as making the case for his future at the top team, Bottas is proving that he isn't good enough to be #1.

Leclerc is absolutely sensational! And this for a Ferrari rookie. The future is bright with a Verstappen - Leclerc battle!

Tyres were 7 laps younger and couldn’t even get as close as Hamilton was.
By the time he got past Hamilton he had already taken a lot out of those mediums closing the gap.
And Hamilton couldn't get past Leclerc on fresh mediums, from a better position than Bottas.

Even if Hamilton hadn't pitted for softs he would have finished well behind Bottas.
So again, if that was damning for Bottas what are the implications for Hamilton?

Bottas is proving that he isn't good enough to be #1.
Unless I'm very much mistaken that's actually his job description - not #1.

By the time he got past Hamilton he had already taken a lot out of those mediums closing the gap.
And Hamilton couldn't get past Leclerc on fresh mediums, from a better position than Bottas.

Even if Hamilton hadn't pitted for softs he would have finished well behind Bottas.
So again, if that was damning for Bottas what are the implications for Hamilton?

Unless I'm very much mistaken that's actually his job description - not #1.
I think you are completely misrepresenting reality.

Last edited:
Where did you get that Vettel is being outperformed by his teammate with such consistency!! Probably in Qualifying yes, but in races it usually swings from race to race but Vettel is ahead in in races by 8 to 5. Results in one race doesn't change the whole year, and as far as reported, Vettel suffered a very high degradation in Spa.
What do you think now?

Getting lapped by your teammate in a race winning Ferrari at Monza has to be one of the most humiliating things that could happen to you in an F1 car.

EDK
What do you think now?

Getting lapped by your teammate in a race winning Ferrari at Monza has to be one of the most humiliating things that could happen to you in an F1 car.
Looking forward to the reply! Vettel is a shadow of his former self. Ferrari have got their star driver now and I can't see them hanging onto Vettel.

EDK
What do you think now?

He made a mistake and got penalized ( Deserved). It's not like he was lapped by pure pace and circumstances like the Red bull. You did watched the race right? After that he could have collected some damage and turned things off, we will never know, but he was competitive up until that point. Actually even in Qualifying his lap was stronger but didn't materialized for the circumstances of qualifying. Not defending him, that's his mistake. My apologies but your statement is ignorant driven by hate.

Looking forward to the reply! Vettel is a shadow of his former self. Ferrari have got their star driver now and I can't see them hanging onto Vettel.
Here's your reply

My apologies but your statement is ignorant driven by hate.
And yours is ignorant, blinded by fandom.

Thing is, I don't hate Vettel, I would have preferred to see him win the WDC last year.

I honestly think Germany 2018 broke him, he's not been the same driver since.

The only question now is, who will replace him next year? I can't see Ferrari retaining him at this point.

They won't put in Giovinazzi this soon as he hasn't prospered in the Sauber/Alfa the same way Leclerc did his debut year. Who in F2 is in their driving academy? Who are their reserve drivers?

EDK
And yours is ignorant, blinded by fandom.
Seriously? Blinded by fandom? Did you even read what I wrote? I just admitted that he deserved what he got for his mistake, but your statement arguing like he was lapped and humiliated by pure pace!

EDK
The only question now is, who will replace him next year? I can't see Ferrari retaining him at this point.
Their choices are:
Buy out Ricciardo from Renault
Take Hulkenberg for a year
Get Kvyat, who was their reserve driver last season
See if they can tempt Russell out of the Mercedes contract
Offer Sainz/Norris a mass of money
Wehrlein at a major stretch
Alonso sorry, just wanted to be a comedian for a day

Nobody else really has the potential or contract freedom to do this. I can't see the Haas or Racing Point drivers being considered, Merc and Red Bull are just as plum seats, and there's no way any top team is taking Gasly. I don't see Ocon being in the mix. Kimi has fled the Maranello ship and is happier as far away as possible, while Giovinazzi isn't ready for the top seat yet, and would sink like Gasly did.

Seriously? Blinded by fandom? Did you even read what I wrote? I just admitted that he deserved what he got for his mistake, but your statement arguing like he was lapped and humiliated by pure pace!
Yes, I read what you wrote.

I made an objective statement regarding Vettel's recent performance, you took exception.

He validated my assessment in the race, by making a mistake that you likely would not accept even from a new driver, let alone a 4 time champion.

He doubled down on that by making a bafflingly dangerous reentry, and continued to underperform in the race to the extent that he at one point found himself in a battle with a Williams.

I think you're all in on a losing hand, but keep it up if you want.

Some German chap named Mick
I heard commentators talking on either Friday or Saturday that he will most likely be groomed for F1 Alfa spot next year and if that goes well then straight into the Ferrari. So maybe they keep Vettel for one more year to hold his spot? Or as many years as Schumacher takes

Schumacher needs another year in F2 at the very least. He hasn't been performing well enough and is still very young. Give him time and he'll be good enough. Giovinazzi needs another year before he's ready for Ferrari anyway. Vettel won't be sacked, he'll have to retire or move away himself.

Back