2019 Formula 1 Pirelli Grand Prix de FranceFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 141 comments
The Race would of been alot more enjoyable if the camera person actually picked up the passes live, alot of them in a sceniaro where there is only one car in the entire field within DRS and they still miss it, them cutting away just before the Choas on the last lap happened to show Hamilton who was doing nothing and was only a little bit ahead on the road was stupidity.

Do Broadcasters have to show the last minute or something looking at the leader or what?

DK
15/16 in 1988, only denied by an errant sub in a Williams at Monza.

And Prost's gamesmanship - he knew he wasn't going to finish the race and suckered Senna into spending more fuel than he should have done, even without Schlesser the Ferraris were lean enough to catch Senna, if he even got near the end of the race.

And the ghost of the recently-departed Enzo surely played a part too, naturally.

It's a justified penalty, but the fans will complain anyways.
Justified yes, just wished they had more reasonable penalties, Gasly now gets promoted to 10th despite being miles away from this battle and Ricciardo had no chance to redress since it was the last lap, they should have the ability to add a Penalties in 1 or 2 second intervals if required.

Awful race... Man we really need these 2021 regulations to completely transform the sport. I wouldn't care that Mercedes is winning all the races if they won it by out-racing everyone else. All they need to do is qualify up front and not crash and it's pretty much a guaranteed win. IMO, F1 has hit its low point. We need a mile long straight just to get a couple of passes complete; it's a joke.

F1 needs to lose its downforce obsession and build cars that have actual mechanical grip. Until cars can actually follow one another and legitimately pass, all other rules should be ignored. We can't blame tires all the time because if they're too hard, people complain that the race is only one stop, but because no one can pass, if they're too soft, everyone will just drive around at 50 percent.

Cut the downforce in half and most of F1's problems will likely be solved.

Since falling in love with F1, I've watched all but 3 or 4 races. I'm losing my will to wake up and watch anymore.

Awful race... Man we really need these 2021 regulations to completely transform the sport. I wouldn't care that Mercedes is winning all the races if they won it by out-racing everyone else. All they need to do is qualify up front and not crash and it's pretty much a guaranteed win. IMO, F1 has hit its low point. We need a mile long straight just to get a couple of passes complete; it's a joke.

F1 needs to lose its downforce obsession and build cars that have actual mechanical grip. Until cars can actually follow one another and legitimately pass, all other rules should be ignored. We can't blame tires all the time because if they're too hard, people complain that the race is only one stop, but because no one can pass, if they're too soft, everyone will just drive around at 50 percent.

Cut the downforce in half and most of F1's problems will likely be solved.

Since falling in love with F1, I've watched all but 3 or 4 races. I'm losing my will to wake up and watch anymore.
I don't really think overtaking is as much of an issue now as it was last year. There were far more overtakes in this year's French GP than last year's, and in general the midfield battles are great this season. I'm not saying that overtaking isn't a problem anymore, but at least it's not that huge that we can't focus on other problems of the sport.

The true problem is that there is no legitimate competition for the championship anymore. Sure, Red Bull can snatch a victory or two and last year Ferrari posed a real threat to Mercedes, but at the end, it doesn't matter. Mercedes has taken every single championship in the hybrid era, consequently eliminating the competition and taking away the suspense from the top, which should be the battle we should be looking forward to. The excitement should be at the battle for the win, not at the battle for 4th position

Boring race was boring.

The stewards have really set a low bar with the Canada penalty. As much as Grosjean’s whining bugs me, he was correct to say “ricciardo rejoined in an unsafe manner and forced me off the track.” Based on the precedent set in Cananda, that should have been a penalty as well, along with Dan’s other two 5 second penalties. The stewards have set the precedent that any time anyone goes 4 wheels off in front of you, you get on the radio and complain that they rejoined in an unsafe manner.

Paul Richard is a joke. The officiating is a joke. Compared to Mercedes, the other 9 teams are a joke. The “sport” is a joke. At this point, I feel like the only reason I tune in is to see just how bad the next GP is going to be.

Almost everything the FIA touches is crap. Both F1 and WEC are a farce. Want to see actual good racing? Watch Indycar, Aussie Supercars, IMSA, WTCR, BTCC, Super Formula, Super GT...anything that keeps the FIA at an arms length.

So I watched this race, and after the start where Leclerc didnt come close to either Mercedes, and was several seconds down the road about 20% in, I said 'okay just another Mercedeswinslol whatever' I think after Ricciardo's overtake on Gasly (this guy wont make it to the end of the season in that seat) I said okay I'll just watch the highlights and maybe something cool I miss happens.

Save for Ricciardo getting penalized (rightfully) for trying to make this exciting, I could only laugh at the fact that literally nothing else interesting happened.

I dont think overtaking is even remotely the issue. The issue is that F1 is basically 2-3 tier racing right now. Mercedes in a league of their own, probably with some help from the new tyres, Ferrari doing a pitiful job of challenging them, Red Bull on an internship programme with Honda while Gasly is the world's fastest seat warmer. Then the F1.5 is a thing because the other guys are so much slower that they dont even try to race the big guys when they can. Vettel walked to 5th place after the start.

I guess we can hope the big teams might actually get drawn back into the mix in 2021 with new rules instead of what usually happens which is that they throw money at the new rules that will bankrupt the small guys just to have to adapt to.

24 Hours of Nurburgring ended about 8:30am my time, switched over to the F1 race and saw Hamilton was ahead by 12 seconds, turned the tv off and went to sleep. That's all I saw of the F1 race.

Pre 2000s reliability was really horrid, but now we could really use a blown engine from time to time, assuming there will never be any contact, or any substantial rain.

64945271_2464938020231135_3931876150980116480_n.jpg

I have been hearing Rumors that Redbull might get Hulkenburg which would be a massive change from their past strategy.

The hybrid era just keeps on giving, it’s not as much of a farce as LMP1 but it’s in the same ballpark. One team constantly winning is bad enough, but the fact that we can go into every weekend and know which drivers are going to finish in the top 5 or 6 is the worst.

When it’s good, it’s really good. But most of the time it’s trash. The qualifying for the last 3 spots for the Indy 500 was more exciting than 99% of this season.

I don’t have faith that 2021 will change much, the big 3 will just spend an obscene amount of money developing their cars for that season while the rest will still fight amongst themselves.

Last edited:

:D

That aside, if anyone still wasn't sure how slow Williams are this year, look how far back Kubica was from Giovinazzi on that lap...

Come the checkered flag, only himself and Russell were 2 laps down to the leaders. Yes, Paul Ricard has the long back straight which exaggerates the team's clear deficit in performance, but still. :eek:

Back