2019 Formula 1 Pirelli Grand Prix du CanadaFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 386 comments
You do see the track right? It's tight and have no grip after the gravel. Where safe is that you talk about!
The safest way is to keep it on the track in the first place. You don't think there should be a penalty for making a mistake and binning it?

Vettel gone straight to the stewards, don't know if he will be on the podium.

So you're saying every mistake is just a mistake and therefore shouldn't be penalised? Sure, let's not penalise Hulkenberg for that start crash in Belgium last year...

Ah yes. That was exactly what I said.

They should keep the judgements in spirit with the racing. The racing already is ass most of the time. Last race they ruined Monaco, what already is an ass track with these cars. And now, once again, they killed the actual racing with a dumb call.

We want racing. Performed by mistake making humans. If Vettel parked his car into Lewis, so be it, that's part of flying around a track at high speeds. Rubber tiling everything sucks the fun out of it. These cars are safe enough for a crash here and there.

So there's still bad officiating and mostly little actual racing; except now the commentary is bad, the cars are ugly and sound like turbodiesels, and the graphics they constantly dump on the screen look like something out of an early PS3 game.

I guess I haven't been missing much of anything in F1 lately.

Normally, I feel like the guy who wins usually pulls off a win deserves it from good driving but,...man was that disappointing, and it definitely wasn't Mercedes fault. A really exciting race turned real boring and the stewards killed what was a tense, high stakes race.

Still congrats to HAM and Mercedes. Despite the penalty, they still drove a cracking good race

Nothing more to be said about Vettel, though he's probably tied with Brundle as the biggest loser today. :D

Good performance by Leclerc, a major improvement over Monac two weeks ago.

Hats off to Danny Ric (my DotD), Lance Stroll and Danill Kvyat.

Gasly and Kubica are unfortunately very much on my drop list. Gasly just cannot get the pace out of the Red Bull. He's fast enough to be on the grid, but I definitely think he should've stayed with Torro Rosso a bit longer. Kubica is just soo. damn. slow. The whole "golden-boy comeback story" effect has officially worn off.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not claiming otherwise. It absolutely could have gone south real fast in which case, like I said, different conversation. He had enough control to prevent that from happening and like everyone and Vettel himself keeps saying: where the hell was he supposed to go? His only two immediate options were to do as he did (which, of course, wasn't done out of spite unlike his maneuver at Baku in 2017) or spin and crash, possibly taking the both of them out.

Then there's the issue of the Stewards dreadful consistency. What are the chances of this incident occurring again and the same penalty being handed out? Very slim, by my experience.
I don’t think those are the only 2 options. He mentioned something about going left and losing the position, I guess as a result if he let off the gas.

I don’t think those are the only 2 options. He mentioned something about going left and losing the position, I guess as a result if he let off the gas.

Oh you're right, he did say that.

Look, I said in my first post about it that it was a 50/50 decision. Seeing as nobody ever tries to understand the decision, I explained what the reasoning was. I think they could have waited a bit longer to give the penalty, like 5 laps from the end when it was obvious Lewis wasn't going to pass Vettel. It ruined the race, and a lot of people won't have liked it, but it was justified.

Max's penalty in Monaco was 100% justified though, you can't try and say that ruined the race. To be honest, 5 seconds for Max was extremely lenient.

So there's still bad officiating and mostly little actual racing; except now the commentary is bad, the cars are ugly and sound like turbodiesels, and the graphics they constantly dump on the screen look like something out of an early PS3 game.

I guess I haven't been missing much of anything in F1 lately.

Especially this year.

What a mess. Sainz out of the points, Norris out, another Vettel / Ferrari blah blah something blah, and Bottas underperforming.

giphy.gif

Race Recap:

Sebastian Vettel: Did almost everything right. Almost. He was just pushing too hard under pressure and ran straight into the wash behind a backmarker and off the track. Five second penalty seems way too harsh. But that's a coin flip of a penalty, really.

Lewis Hamilton: The Merc was really down on power. The expected advantage in stint length on the Mediums just wasn't there, but on the Hards, that Merc looked mighty. He pushed hard, and if there wasn't a wall there where Vettel crossed in front of him, he would have passed him. That's where the extenuating circumstances of the penalty come in. Not sure I would have called it that way or given Seb a warning and a penalty for the next race. Oh well...

Charles LeClerc: Again, Ferrari strategy shafted him. If they'd pitted him before Vettel, he could have passed Lewis. Maybe. But this one is harder to call than other sub-prime strategies Ferrari has foisted on him. Still, his race was better than his qualifying.

Valterri Bottas: Really poor weekend for him. Scrappy in qualifying. Scrappy in the race, and there wasn't much pace in it until the fuel loads went down. At which point he was in no man's land.

Max Verstappen: He should have been in third or fourth if not for KMag's crash in qualifying. Good work getting back up to fifth on an odd strategy.

Daniel Ricciardo/Nico Hulkenberg: That Renault is looking good. Still not Red Bull good, but pretty good.

Pierre Gasly: Oh, hai. Should have been hai-er.

Lance Stroll: Oh, wow.

Daniel Kyvat: Good run. Wrested it from Sainz on-track. While Renault has the power advantage, seems like the Honda teams are just better over the full race.

Race Recap:

Sebastian Vettel: Did almost everything right. Almost. He was just pushing too hard under pressure and ran straight into the wash behind a backmarker and off the track. Five second penalty seems way too harsh. But that's a coin flip of a penalty, really.

Lewis Hamilton: The Merc was really down on power. The expected advantage in stint length on the Mediums just wasn't there, but on the Hards, that Merc looked mighty. He pushed hard, and if there wasn't a wall there where Vettel crossed in front of him, he would have passed him. That's where the extenuating circumstances of the penalty come in. Not sure I would have called it that way or given Seb a warning and a penalty for the next race. Oh well...

Charles LeClerc: Again, Ferrari strategy shafted him. If they'd pitted him before Vettel, he could have passed Lewis. Maybe. But this one is harder to call than other sub-prime strategies Ferrari has foisted on him. Still, his race was better than his qualifying.

Valterri Bottas: Really poor weekend for him. Scrappy in qualifying. Scrappy in the race, and there wasn't much pace in it until the fuel loads went down. At which point he was in no man's land.

Max Verstappen: He should have been in third or fourth if not for KMag's crash in qualifying. Good work getting back up to fifth on an odd strategy.

Daniel Ricciardo/Nico Hulkenberg: That Renault is looking good. Still not Red Bull good, but pretty good.

Pierre Gasly: Oh, hai. Should have been hai-er.

Lance Stroll: Oh, wow.

Daniel Kyvat: Good run. Wrested it from Sainz on-track. While Renault has the power advantage, seems like the Honda teams are just better over the full race.

How could you leave out KMag being told off by Gunther? :lol:

The safest way is to keep it on the track in the first place. You don't think there should be a penalty for making a mistake and binning it?
Wow! It seems that you know how to drive these cars better than them to know how to keep it on track and talk like that... do you even know the effect of running on gravel with slicks?

Back