2019 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 448 comments
I switched to Xfinity cable January 2nd. It went out a little before 3pm today and isn't scheduled to come back on until early tomorrow morning so I haven't seen any football. I guess that's Xfinity's little welcoming gift to me.

Comcast (who made up the Xfinity name) is known for junk like that. During the broadcasts, they have been advertising the game through the Yahoo! app. The Super Bowl will be broadcast on a major network that can be picked up with free over-the-air broadcasts. Gotta have a backup plan. :lol:

Texans were up 21-0 after one quarter. It then turned into 28 unanswered points to make it 28-24 at the half. The Chiefs ended up taking the unanswered points total to 41 until the Texans finally scored a touchdown late in the 3rd. The Texans are 0-3 all-time in postseason road games heading into this game. Make it 0-4 now all-time in postseason road games. I actually was asleep and missed the entire first quarter. I almost wondered how the Texans even had this 21-0 lead if they'd end up doing very little since. I knew I had no expectations for the Texans this season, but I still want my favorite team to win even when unfavored. It was almost as if midnight struck early on the Texans even though the Chiefs were highly favored. Since? Chiefs domination. Final score: 51-31, Kansas City.

Same old "better luck next season" for my Texans. And as usual, I'm done following the season until the Super Bowl. Back to the Rockets and Astros for me. So congratulations to whomever wins Super Bowl LIV.

Comcast (who made up the Xfinity name) is known for junk like that. During the broadcasts, they have been advertising the game through the Yahoo! app. The Super Bowl will be broadcast on a major network that can be picked up with free over-the-air broadcasts. Gotta have a backup plan. :lol:

We did have severe thunderstorms yesterday but it went off two hours after they went through. It still hasn't come back on yet plus for some very odd reason Xfinity doesn't support the NFL Network app so I can't even watch live streaming. Thank goodness I kept my old internet provider and didn't totally switch over. I've been watching Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix along with Youtube all weekend but no live sports. :mad:

That's why I said the Yahoo! Sports app. I just watched a few minutes of the Seattle vs. Green Bay game on my phone. I think Verizon (major sponsor for the NFL) bought Yahoo a couple of years ago which allowed that to be used.

Divisional Round...

ADVANCING: Tennessee, San Francisco, Kansas City, and Green Bay
DONE: Baltimore, Minnesota, Houston, and Seattle

Get ready for the AFC and NFC Championship games! They look like this:

AFC C'SHIP GAME: TEN Titans at KC Chiefs
NFC C'SHIP GAME: GB Packers at SF 49ers

As for here in Houston, I'm now officially on the "Fire Bill O'Brien" club. I wanted him to be fired if we failed defeating Buffalo during the Wild Card games. Maybe this was the year we could possibly go farther than ever in the Playoffs even despite my low expectations for the 2019 Texans. Being able to win the division (AFC South) but do rather little in the postseason is grounds for wanting to find a better coach with a better track record of going deep into playoffs and maybe winning the Super Bowl. I don't know who that coach could be, but I think the Texans need to find somebody better than Bill O'Brien. I am a bit unsure if the Texans should also get rid of defensive coach Romeo Crennel despite the fact I like him.

Well... get psyched for the Conference Championship games! Two teams will play in Super Bowl LIV; the others will join the line of those ousted from the postseason.

Texans were up 21-0 after one quarter. It then turned into 28 unanswered points to make it 28-24 at the half. The Chiefs ended up taking the unanswered points total to 41 until the Texans finally scored a touchdown late in the 3rd. The Texans are 0-3 all-time in postseason road games heading into this game. Make it 0-4 now all-time in postseason road games. I actually was asleep and missed the entire first quarter. I almost wondered how the Texans even had this 21-0 lead if they'd end up doing very little since. I knew I had no expectations for the Texans this season, but I still want my favorite team to win even when unfavored. It was almost as if midnight struck early on the Texans even though the Chiefs were highly favored. Since? Chiefs domination. Final score: 51-31, Kansas City.

Same old "better luck next season" for my Texans. And as usual, I'm done following the season until the Super Bowl. Back to the Rockets and Astros for me. So congratulations to whomever wins Super Bowl LIV.

I saw the full game and even myself, a non Texans fan, was in full rage because of how inept they where after the 1st quarter. They literally had Mahomes and the Chiefs on their knees, and then they proceeded to give them a Max Revive, Max Restore, and X Attack. The Chiefs were DEAD, and they somehow brought them back to life, It was simply awful.

As for the Packers, this was the game they had to prove something to me. And boy they did. I still see them losing to the Niners, but at least yesterday they finally looked like a 13-3 team. They didn't dominate the game, but they didn't lose control of it and managed to make the right plays at the right times. It was a well deserves win.

As for the Conference Championship rounds...

Packers vs. Niners: As I said, this is where the road ends for Rodgers and co. The Niners Hydra backfield will dominate again and Jimmy G will get his shot to prove he is worth what the Niners pay him.

Titans vs. Chiefs: Tough one. VERY tough one. Mahomes has the arm, but Henry has the legs. Also, Titans D is in shutdown mode, and if they could stop the Ravens and destroy Pretty Boy Tom, they CAN beat Mahomes. If fact... they already did... So... I'm picking the Titans this time. It's just impossible not to pick the team that created a Championship window for themselves by shattering the most electrifying team of the season and the Evil Empire.

As for here in Houston, I'm now officially on the "Fire Bill O'Brien" club. I wanted him to be fired if we failed defeating Buffalo during the Wild Card games. Maybe this was the year we could possibly go farther than ever in the Playoffs even despite my low expectations for the 2019 Texans. Being able to win the division (AFC South) but do rather little in the postseason is grounds for wanting to find a better coach with a better track record of going deep into playoffs and maybe winning the Super Bowl.

Yea that's what San Diego said about Schottenheimer. How'd that one work out? Tired of losing in playoffs? How about just not going then...

So Baltimore is DONE? Good grief! Now anybody could doggone well win the championship this season!

People seemed surprised by the upset but it's simple to explain really, the Ravens Offense was out-schemed by the Dean Pees, he did a brilliant job exposing and exploiting their weaknesses through all 4 quarters. There was never a time in the game where it felt the Ravens had things in control. They were literally dominated, on both sides of the ball, for 60 minutes. Vrabel and Dean Pees are doing their best impression of a Josh McDaniels/ Bill Belichick combo this year and they are winning at too. Even if they fall to the Chiefs, the rest to the teams remaining should be sending the Titans organization thank you cards for eliminating the Patriots and now the Ravens from contending for the Title.

A little history time, for those that don't remember, Dean Pees was the Baltimore Ravens Defensive Coordinator from 2010-2017. He was the architect behind the 2012 Ravens juggernut that went on to defeat the SF 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII by shutting down their run game and limiting their mobile QB (Colin Kaepernick) as a runner while forcing turnovers. Does any of that sound familiar? It should because Dean Pees just did the same thing to Lamar Jackson's Ravens on Saturday, while Arthur Smith pounded the ball with Henry all day long, wearing out the #5 ranked Raven's D.

The Ravens were outcoached, simple as that.

As for here in Houston, I'm now officially on the "Fire Bill O'Brien" club. I wanted him to be fired if we failed defeating Buffalo during the Wild Card games. Maybe this was the year we could possibly go farther than ever in the Playoffs even despite my low expectations for the 2019 Texans. Being able to win the division (AFC South) but do rather little in the postseason is grounds for wanting to find a better coach with a better track record of going deep into playoffs and maybe winning the Super Bowl.
Hey, at least your Texans beat my Bungles twice in the postseason. Look how long it took to get rid of Marvin Lewis...0-7 in the postseason.

Panthers announced that LSU coordinator Joe Brady will be their new OC. And Luke Kuechly is retiring after eight seasons.

Today has been a bit of a rollercoaster.

Last edited:
We fill out Super Bowl LIV today. On one side is the Tennessee Titans at Kansas City Chiefs. On the other side is the Green Bay Packers at the San Francisco 49ers. Two will advance to play in Super Bowl LIV in two weeks; two seasons will come to an end. So Super Bowl LIV can be any of the following:

* TEN Titans vs. SF 49ers
* TEN Titans vs. GB Packers
* KC Chiefs vs. SF 49ers
* KC Chiefs vs. GB Packers

Only two of these teams can play for the Lombardi Trophy in Super Bowl LIV in Miami. Which two will advance? We'll find out after today's games are played!

Enjoy today's games should you be watching/following!

Since I'm undecided on who I want to win SB 54, I'll pick my team to wish losing on by cheering them on later.

UPDATE: Chiefs/49ers is the match-up for Super Bowl 54.

Last edited:
I predicted casually that we would have Kansas City and San Francisco in Super Bowl LIV. And... I was right! I extend my congratulations to the Chiefs and 49ers for making it to Miami for Super Bowl LIV.

We have a lot of time between now and Super Bowl LIV. So if you are inclined... tell it, GTPlanet- who wins Super Bowl LIV- the Chiefs or the 49ers?

I want to see Andy Reid get one and I really like Mahomes. I also feel that the Chiefs are the more high powered offense, but the 49ers have the better defense and time has shown who wins these sorts of matchups. If the Chiefs want to win, their defense is going to have to play out of their minds, step up yet again, limit the run game while also limiting Kittle and Samuel as much as humanely possible. The 49ers are not nearly as one dimensional as the Titans are.

Last edited:
(Tree'd...) According to ESPN, New York Giants QB Eli Manning will officially announce his retirement this Friday. If that holds true, how will you remember Eli Manning? What is his Hall of Fame status?

If that holds true, how will you remember Eli Manning?

Manning Faces:
Image-1.jpeg

(Tree'd...) According to ESPN, New York Giants QB Eli Manning will officially announce his retirement this Friday. If that holds true, how will you remember Eli Manning? What is his Hall of Fame status?

He slayed the Dragon... TWICE.

I saw some comments at NFL.com discussing if he is HOF worthy... and come on, some of those guys are just salty... Steve Smith, Deion Sanders and others talked about him like he was a nobody or a mediocre QB. Some even said he is going to be in the Hall just because of his last name.

Eli is an iron man. he endured NY itself, bad teammates, bad coaching, Tom Coughlin himself, an untalented roster in his last years as a pro (that O-line, Jesus...) and still delivered 2 wins vs. the Evil Empire and had several fantastic games, plays and seasons.

Forget about his last name, Eli got his gold jacket by himself, and I will be very mad if I don't see him in Canton in 5 years.

And call me crazy, I'd even go as far as saying he is the better of the Manning brothers, because he actually WON his 2 rings. The Broncos had to carry Peyton's remains all the way to the SB and survive his dead arm and body. And I'll go even further saying that if the Jags had traded for Eli when they were in full Sacksonville mode, maybe we could be talking about Eli "3 rings" Manning right now...

Here are your top 50 QB by QB rating (all time). I'm not saying who's better or worse, but note Peyton's rating and Eli's rating, big difference there. And also to be fair, Peyton did slay the dragon in the AFC championship game leading up to his first SB appearance and win.

Note: The guys who haven't been in the league for at least 5 years, like Dak Prescott, you can take with a grain of salt for now.

Leaders

• + indicates Hall of Famer
Leaders Table
Rank Player Different ratings are used by the NFL and NCAA.
Minimum 1500 pass attempts to qualify as career leader, minimum 150 pass attempts for playoffs leader." data-name="Passer Rating" data-stat="pass_rating" data-filter="1">Rate
Years Tm
Aaron Rodgers 102.4 2005-2019 gnb
2 Russell Wilson 101.2 2012-2019 sea
3 Drew Brees 98.4 2001-2019 2TM
4 Tony Romo 97.1 2004-2016 dal
5 Tom Brady 97.0 2000-2019 nwe
Dak Prescott 97.0 2016-2019 dal
7 Kirk Cousins 96.8 2012-2019 2TM
Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM
9 Peyton Manning 96.5 1998-2015 2TM
10 Philip Rivers 95.1 2004-2019 sdg
11 Matt Ryan 94.6 2008-2019 atl
12 Ben Roethlisberger 94.0 2004-2019 pit
13 Kurt Warner+ 93.7 1998-2009 3TM
14 Carson Wentz 92.7 2016-2019 phi
15 Joe Montana+ 92.3 1979-1994 2TM
16 Jared Goff 91.9 2016-2019 ram
17 Derek Carr 90.7 2014-2019 rai
18 Chad Pennington 90.1 2000-2010 2TM
19 Ryan Tannehill 89.8 2012-2019 2TM
20 Marcus Mariota 89.6 2015-2019 oti
21 Andrew Luck 89.5 2012-2018 clt
Matt Schaub 89.5 2004-2019 4TM
23 Matthew Stafford 89.3 2009-2019 det
24 Colin Kaepernick 88.9 2011-2016 sfo
25 Nick Foles 88.2 2012-2019 4TM
26 Carson Palmer 87.9 2004-2017 3TM
27 Daunte Culpepper 87.8 1999-2009 4TM
28 Andy Dalton 87.5 2011-2019 cin
Jeff Garcia 87.5 1999-2009 5TM
30 Alex Smith 87.3 2005-2018 3TM
31 Jameis Winston 86.9 2015-2019 tam
32 Otto Graham+ 86.6 1946-1955 cle
33 Dan Marino+ 86.4 1983-1999 mia
34 Cam Newton 86.1 2011-2019 car
35 Brett Favre+ 86.0 1991-2010 4TM
Trent Green 86.0 1997-2008 4TM
37 David Garrard 85.8 2002-2010 jax
38 Donovan McNabb 85.6 1999-2011 3TM
39 Jay Cutler 85.3 2006-2017 3TM
Case Keenum 85.3 2012-2019 5TM
41 Rich Gannon 84.7 1987-2004 4TM
42 Sam Bradford 84.5 2010-2018 4TM
43 Marc Bulger 84.4 2002-2009 ram
Jim Kelly+ 84.4 1986-1996 buf
45 Joe Flacco 84.1 2008-2019 2TM
Eli Manning 84.1 2004-2019 nyg
47 Mark Brunell 84.0 1994-2011 5TM
48 Roger Staubach+ 83.4 1969-1979 dal
49 Steve McNair 82.8 1995-2007 2TM
50 Brian Griese 82.7 1998-2008 4TM

ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" just discussed if Eli Manning is a Hall of Famer. Wilbon said Eli Manning is a Hall of Famer, but not automatic. He also mentioned two other QBs who won two Super Bowls aren't Hall of Famers. I think Tony Kornheiser even thinks Eli Manning is HOF material.

By the way, tonight is the NFL Pro Bowl Skills Competition... in case anyone is interested...

If that holds true, how will you remember Eli Manning? What is his Hall of Fame status?

I have no idea about HOF status, but Eli will always have a special place among QBs for me for helping beat the Patriots in the SB twice. In spectacular fashion. Football is the ultimate team sport, and Eli found himself on a less-than-stellar team for most of his career. The franchise just wasn't that great, his support wasn't that great. But when it was, he was great at his position.

Edit:

Regarding the upcoming superbowl, I think the Chiefs are a more complete team than the 9ers, so I think they have a better shot at winning. They also seem less consistent.

Brian Griese and Norm Van Brocklin are in the HoF. The fact it's an argument of is Eli worthy underlines that he will get in. First Ballot? Maybe not, but he'll be in before he's up for senior selection.

As for the Super Bowl, I'm leaning towards San Francisco. They are in prime position for failing as they trounced both the Vikings and Packers, but they've looked solid and consistent most of the season. The Chiefs were being stomped by the Texans, and were it not for awful coaching might not have made it here. But honestly I'm cool with either winning.

Eli will definitely get in the HOF. Maybe not1st ballot but I think he should be.

QBs with two Superbowl MVPs:
Bart Starr
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
Tom Brady
Eli Manning

Eli's career stats of 57,023 passing yards, 366 TDs and 4,895 completions are 7th all time. He also played 210 consecutive games (3rd all time by a QB) and would be 2nd if he hadn't been benched by McAdoo for a game in 2017.

"Eli Manning is the best New York QB ever."
- Joe Namath

"I've played in four Super Bowls and won two... but my favorite Super Bowl memory was watching my little brother take the New York Giants down the field in the two minute drill and beat the undefeated Patriots."
-Peyton Manning

The NFL owes this man the HOF. If not for him, Brady and Belicheat would have two more rings and a perfect season under their belts. He wasn't the best regular season QB but he was a tough SOB and he played his best in their biggest games. Especially the NFC Championship games in Green Bay and San Fran. He was a professional for 16 years in one of the toughest markets in sports while helping the community and winning the Walter Peyton award and Bart Starr award.

Most of the sports world was still mourning the death of NBA legend Kobe Bryant back on yesterday and Sunday, but I read that Philip Rivers was parting ways with the Los Angeles Chargers. Not sure where he could probably end up if he were to sign with another team or anything, but it was a rather under-the-radar news note of late.

BKGlover, I'm not sure if Bill O'Brien wants to take on two roles like this. After the epic fail in this season's playoffs, I'm sure most of us Houston Texans fans don't want to see him as head coach. I am also not sure who would want to coach the Texans if indeed O'Brien decides to hang it up as a head coach and focus on being General Manager. The Texans still have to sort their mess out regardless. I'm even proud of what the Texans accomplished in the 2019 season despite being a hot mess.

Romeo Crennel is assistant coach and DC and has...some experience...then there's the OC, this Tim Kelly guy. Dunno anything about him (so I'd pick him over Crennel already), but he's been under O'Brien since his Penn State tenure. I'll say Kelly gets the promotion.

I sense great despair in the future.

Back