2019 World Rally ChampionshipRally 

• Thread starter Torneo
  • 76 comments
Škoda will still sell their R5 cars and are putting Kopečky in an official ride for the Czech national championship, so despite being part of VAG they are not withdrawing 100%. They have basically only withdrawn factory support in WRC 2.

Still, not good news.

As manufacturers shift more towards electric vehicles, I imagine we'll be hearing more of this kind of news unless the racing series shift in that direction as well.

As manufacturers shift more towards electric vehicles, I imagine we'll be hearing more of this kind of news unless the racing series shift in that direction as well.

It's ironic that Citroën two years ago was threatening to pull out unless WRC went hybrid in 2022. Now that it's 99% confirmed hybrid rally cars, Citroën pulls out anyway blaming their lead driver. Škoda also blamed their lead driver (Rovanperä).

World Rallycross showed this year that manufacturer involvement is not necessary.

I love the new gen WRC cars but they are too expensive, and with the major manufacturers putting all their eggs in the electric basket, I say good riddance to all of them. Time for WRC to go back to the Group A mentality, simplifying the cars while maintaining a good show, and tell the manufacturers to stick it where the sun don't shine.

It's looking like WRC might go to R5 cars in 2022 since rumors and insiders are saying that the manufacturers are not going to continue.

Just when WRC was reclaiming its past glory...

I think Citroen left because no manufacturer likes to keep losing.
Ford is in WRC for a long time because of M-Sport.
I wonder if M-Sport will continue to use Fiesta body now that Ford will only produce trucks, SUVs and Crossovers.

I wonder if M-Sport will continue to use Fiesta body now that Ford will only produce trucks, SUVs and Crossovers.
I thought that was only for the North American markets, US specifically, excluding the Mustang.

It's looking like WRC might go to R5 cars in 2022 since rumors and insiders are saying that the manufacturers are not going to continue.

Just when WRC was reclaiming its past glory...
Going to R5 would be by far the best thing to do. One thing worth considering is that although they look like grocery getters compared to the current "big" cars, they're probably faster than the WRCs of 2016 and earlier. Faster than any Group A car ever was. Faster than even the Group B was... and if anything, the actual past glory was found in the '90s and early '00s so this would be a great move. The quality of the racing doesn't come from having stupidly fast cars, the Subarus and Mitsubishis of McRae and Mäkinen were hopelessly slow by today's standards but it was the golden era of rallying as far as actual competition is considered.

I agree with the above posts, whilst the Yaris WRC is one of the nuttiest things I think we will ever see on a stage. The cars are blisteringly quick and capable of amazing feats but obscenely expensive and they also appear to be rather delicate. I think we all know why rallies like Acropolis have been dropping off the calendar.

I mean, this thread only got to three pages. Each F1 thread has usually got that far by Q2. If this were 1985, it would be a very different story.

I can see R5 as top class being a good direction as people above me made quite clear. Group A rallying was the first Motorsport I ever saw as a kid and I remember being transfixed watching right to the end of the last stages because the competition was very close.

But the one thing that really needs to step up is the coverage. I'm sure buying the whole package is great but I used to be able to watch it easily on TV and people like my dad who love rallying but aren't keyed in to new things like streaming are getting basically no service from the WRC and that's a great shame.

Locking all the action behind a Spotify style business model does no justice to the manufacturers, competitors or rally organisers and certainly isn't doing its job for the fans.

But the one thing that really needs to step up is the coverage. I'm sure buying the whole package is great but I used to be able to watch it easily on TV and people like my dad who love rallying but aren't keyed in to new things like streaming are getting basically no service from the WRC and that's a great shame.

Locking all the action behind a Spotify style business model does no justice to the manufacturers, competitors or rally organisers and certainly isn't doing its job for the fans.

Im not sure if they will do it again in 2020 but Red Bull has provided rather good coverage for free via RedBull.tv.

Im not sure if they will do it again in 2020 but Red Bull has provided rather good coverage for free via RedBull.tv.
Yeah the RBTV coverage has been an absolute godsend, but my dad has just about figured out Google and has never streamed anything without my help. It just makes me wonder how many fans WRC is missing out on.

I do hope RBTV will carry on because they're really picking up WRC's slack.

I think Citroen left because no manufacturer likes to keep losing.
Ford is in WRC for a long time because of M-Sport.

You can´t just rage quit because you had a bad year. Consider how WRC now will have more non-european events it will certainly draw a bigger audience.

You can´t just rage quit because you had a bad year. Consider how WRC now will have more non-european events it will certainly draw a bigger audience.

It makes you realise that if it wasn't for Seb Loeb they probably would have gone long ago. Crap.

Citroën's latest foray in WRC was half-assed from the beginning. Low budget, minimal support from HQ and poor management. Their exit does not surprise me at all. Blaming their exit on Ogier, well, that's just wrong, but exposes the mentality of the team.

Back