2020-2021 (or Maybe Just 2021?) NBA Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 108 comments
Aw. So the Utah Jazz were finally bested during their winning streak. I saw it was a 128-117 victory for the Denver Nuggets at home.

Meanwhile, my Houston Rockets MAY have righted the ship. James Harden called the Houston Rockets as "unfixable." Well so far, the only fix we needed was James Harden to leave H-Town (though keep his shiny new restaurant here). We're not going to blow away teams like when we had Harden. While Victor Oladipo has been a multiple time All-Star, I don't think he is on at least a Triple-A rank talent. We got to keep John Wall healthy. And in this "WOW Era" of the Rockets, I LOVE Christian Wood. Wood is such a dynamic player. He's been around for a number of teams, but I think his biggest opportunity to shine could be with the Rockets. Other Rockets doing well are Danuel House Jr. and David Nwaba.

Next five games for my Houston Rockets:
* FEB 1: at Oklahoma City
* FEB 3: at Oklahoma City
* FEB 4: at Memphis
* FEB 6: San Antonio
* FEB 8: at Charlotte

How are your favorite NBA teams doing so far this season?

The Houston Rockets are above .500 and have now won six straight! They also moved up to 10th in the Western Conference playoff standings. They won tonight 136-106 at the Oklahoma City Thunder. Seems like the "unfixable" Rockets know what the fix was- just get James Harden out of town (but keep his swanky restaurant here)! The Rockets and Thunder will clash again Wednesday night in Oklahoma City. Oh, and the Thunder losing is much to the shegrin of my good mate Brent...

Players being out, relying on the 3-ball, no solid center in the paint is pretty much going to tank this season. They need to go into off season prepared to max out the best defensive big on the market, doesn't matter if they're deserving or not, just do something to ensure that kind of defense is there.

The Houston Rockets went from ballin'... to fail after last night's winning streak was snapped. Let me provide a Standings update heading into tonight's games. Find your favorite team(s) here:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (as of February 4, 2021) ---
ATLANTIC: Philadelphia (16-6), BKN (14-9), BOS (11-9), NY (10-13), TOR (9-12)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (13-8), IND (12-10), CLE (10-12), CHI (8-12), DET (5-16)
SOUTHEAST: Atlanta (10-11), CHA (10-12), ORL 8-14), MIA (7-14), WAS (5-13)
CURRENT EAST PLAYOFFS (1-8): PHI, MIL, BKN, BOS, IND, ATL, CLE, CHA

---WESTERN CONFERENCE (as of February 4, 2021) ---
PACIFIC: Los Angeles Clippers (17-6), LAL (16-6), PHX (11-9), GS (11-10), SAC (10-11)

(NOTE: I checked Yahoo! Sports and the NBA's websites for clarification on the Southwest Division. Though the Southwest Leader has fewer wins, they are still listed as the division leader on both sites. That said...)

SOUTHWEST: Memphis (9-7), SA (12-10), HOU (10-10), DAL (9-13), NO (8-12)
NORTHWEST: Utah (16-5), DEN (12-8), POR (11-9), OKC (9-11), MIN (5-16)
CURRENT WEST PLAYOFFS (1-8): UTA, LAC, LAL, DEN, MEM, PHX, POR, SA

And there you have it.

Elsewhere, the NBA and NBA Players Association agreed to go ahead with this season's All-Star Game. The All-Star Game will be held in Atlanta, Georgia on March 7.

Enjoy tonight's games!

Nets losing against g-league teams like the pistons. I do know they are playing w/o durant lately but still this team ain't going to win the title if they keep on letting inferior offensive teams score more than 110 points/game. :lol:

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Things not much better in Houston, BigShamrock. We failed bad in a back-to-back starting with at Charlotte on Monday and at New Orleans last night. We went from ballin'... to bawlin'. Three straight losses for the Rockets. I think our next game is back home hosting Miami on Thursday followed by heading back out on the road.

Yes, folks... take the Utah Jazz seriously. They have the league's best record and the Western Conference's best record at 20-5. They've also won five in a row so far. On the Eastern Conference side, trust the process! The Philadelphia 76ers stand at 18-7 and have won back-to-back games.

Some want the All-Star Game to happen this season. Some others protest it. It's still on according to most people.

Still a lot of basketball to be played, but at least I've shared my own musings with you all.

Seven. Straight. Losses. The Houston Rockets closed in to make it close, but the Philadelphia 76ers pulled away late at when the Rockets closed in on a six-point deficit after being down by as much as 29. We go from six straight wins to seven straight losses. Damned shame. Final score tonight- 118-113; 76ers. Three-game road trip ends with no wins.

Hopefully your teams are fairing much better than my downward spiraling Rockets...

The Houston Rockets would have played a home back-to-back starting tonight. However, because of a recent severe Winter storm from earlier this week, we're not playing tonight or tomorrow night. This team has been tough to watch as it has dropped seven straight games. Injuries have whacked this team about as hard as the Arctic Blast from earlier this week.

We're not the only team singing the blues, however; the Milwaukee Bucks have dropped now five straight games when they were looking very good. Their latest fail was at home to the Toronto Raptors last night. Giannis Antetokuonmpo(?) fouled out of that game and even got called for a Flagrant 1 Foul.

Sad state of affairs for some NBA teams. I'm just hoping my Rockets don't end up being worse than the Minnesota Timberwolves right now in the Western Conference standings.

I heard the Minnesota Timberwolves recently fired coach Ryan Saunders. The T-Wolves have been a sorry team this season. They are dead last in the Western Conference standings.

The 2020-2021 Houston Rockets are borderline unwatchable. Maybe James Harden should have shut up and not request a trade. Rockets have now lost eight straight following their 120-100 defeat at home to the Chicago Bulls. Granted there are injuries depleting the roster, this team just lacks that winning edge and get wrecked habitually. It may be time to get ready for the Astros and Dynamo if this fail funk continues. Next thing you know it, the Minnesota Timberwolves may end up with more wins than the Houston Rockets. Damned shame here in H-Town.

Sad post here (but not if you're a Houston Rockets hater). The Houston Rockets lost 133-84 to the Memphis Grizzlies tonight. This is the 6th 40+ point loss in team history and the 3rd largest loss in team history. And on top of that... they are on a back-to-back as they host the Cleveland Cavaliers tomorrow night. This may currently be the worst season in Rockets' history, stuck on 11 wins. The fewest wins the Rockets ever had was 14 back in the 1982-1983 NBA season. Maybe the Houston Texans' turmoil is trickling down to the Rockets and Astros. Again- sad. Oh, and did I mention this is now 11 straight losses for the Rockets? The Rockets haven't won a game since February 4- against Memphis!

The Altanta Hawks have fired head coach Lloyd Pierce. The Hawks currently have a 14-20 record. That's good for 11th in the Eastern Conference and 3rd in the Southeastern Division.

There is also a report that Joakim Noah is considering retiring. He wants to retire as a Chicago Bull.

The Houston Rockets will head into the All-Star Game with a 12-game losing streak. They actually competed tonight, but they ultimately failed 132-114 to the Brooklyn Nets. They may be trying to compete for NBA Draft Lottery picks at this point. The most unlikely story would be the Houston Rockets having a story like MLB's 2005 Houston Astros- crap just about all early, but somehow make the postsesaon and go fairly far into the postseason. Houston needs to get more bodies and players healthy again.

Some wanted it. Some others didn't. What do we have tonight? It is the 2020-2021 NBA All-Star Game. All of the ASG activities are slated for today and tonight out of Atlanta, Georgia. So be sure to enjoy this season's All-Star Game and all of its festivities!

A couple of news notes...

* Team LeBron defeated Team Kawahi 170-150 last night in the 2021 NBA All-Star Game.

* It is reported that after Blake Griffin left the Detroit Pistons, he reportedly will join the Brooklyn Nets.

Now is a look at the standings for all teams as the All-Star festivities are over. Find your favorite team(s) here:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Philadelphia (24-12), BKN (24-13), BOS (19-17), NT (19-18), TOR (17-19)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (22-14), CHI (16-18), IND (16-19), CLE (14-22), DET (10-26)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (18-18), CHA (17-18), ATL (16-20), WAS (14-20), ORL (13-23)
CURRENT EAST TOP 8: PHI, BKN, MIL, BOS, NY, MIA, CHA, TOR
REST OF EAST (9th to last): CHI, IND, ATL, WAS, CLE, ORL, DET

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
PACIFIC: Phoenix (24-11), LAL (24-13), LAC (24-14), GS (19-18), SAC (14-22)
SOUTHWEST: San Antonio (18-14), DAL (18-16), MEM (16-16), NO (15-21), HOU (11-23)
NORTHWEST: Utah (27-9), POR (21-14), DEN (21-15), OKC (15-21), MIN (7-29)
CURRENT WEST TOP 8: UTA, PHX, LAC, LAL, POR, DEN, SA, DAL
REST OF WEST (9th to last): GS, MEM, NO, OKC, SAC, HOU, MIN

OBSERVATIONS
CURRENT LONGEST WINNING STREAK: Boston, Phoenix, and Denver (4 straight wins)
CURRENT LONGEST LOSING STREAK: Houston (13 straight losses)

Positions 7-10 are eligible for a play-in tournament to determine seeds 7 and 8 into the NBA Playoffs. So that's why I included the "Rest of..." rankings. There is still a lot of season left, so teams behind (and even WAY behind) still have some hope until they are potentially eliminated.

Enjoy the rest of the 2020-2021 season!

The National Basketball Association is back to work after the All-Star Game starting tonight. Two games are on tap for tonight, and here are tonight's games:

* SA Spurs at DAL Mavericks
* WAS Wizards at MEM Grizzlies

You all take care and be well. Enjoy some NBA hoops tonight!

Man it's gonna take awhile for the Pels to figure it out, blown out by the wolves we beat the Cavs and Clips, watch us poop the bed against the Blazers :lol:

At least the New Orleans Pelicans can win games, unlike my now 15-straight losing Houston Rockets. This has been a trash season for H-Town. A lot of players have been injured. Having over 10 back-to-backs aren't going to help make things any better. Even Minnesota figured out how to win games. Just goes to show you how 🤬 Houston sports can be.

18th straight loss last night for the Houston Rockets. It's a new franchise record for most successive losses. Sad times for Houston getting smacked around. I'm just hoping we don't surpass the all-time longest losing streak (2014-2015 Philadelphia 76ers, who lost 28 straight games).

Earlier this week, history was made as FIVE triple-doubles were recorded on the same day. I forgot to post this long ago, but it was cool to note five triple-doubles posted on the same day.

About. Freaking. Time. GTPlanet...

ROCKETS WIN!
ROCKETS WIN!
ROCKETS WIN!

This brutal 20-game losing streak was snapped when the Toronto Raptors came to H-Town. The Houston Rockets never won a game since February 4. Our losing streak of 20 straight losses was snapped tonight, and my goodness does it feel great to get out of such a funk? We're probably out of the Playoff picture, but it feels great to finally win. It was a 117-99 victory tonight for Houston over the Toronto Raptors. But now... Toronto has lost their ninth straight game.

As happy as I am, I'd be remiss to not recognize the passing of Elgin Baylor. The 11-time NBA All-Star died at the age of 86 recently of natural causes. I offer my condolences to all who known and loved Elgin Baylor.

Last edited:
The NBA Trade Deadline has passed. Among other trades, my Houston Rockets shipped off Victor Oladipo to the Miami Heat. I think we got Avery Bradley in exchange.

Among games to be played tonight, we have the Philadelphia 76ers at the Los Angeles Lakers.

[UPDATE] Avery BRADLEY, not Johnson. Changes made.

Last edited:
The 2020-2021 season of NBA basketball is still ongoing. So let's see how the teams are all doing so far. Find your favorite team(s) with this Standings Update:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (as of April 8, 2021) ---
ATLANTIC: Brooklyn (36-16), PHI (35-16), BOS (26-26), NY (25-27), TOR (20-31)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (32-18), IND (23-27), CHI (21-28), CLE (18-32), DET (15-36)
SOUTHEAST: Charlotte (26-24), ATL (27-25), MIA (26-25), WAS (18-32), ORL (17-34)
CURRENT PLAYOFF EAST 8: BKN, PHI, MIL, CHA, ATL, MIA, BOS, and NY

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE (as of April 8, 2021) ---
PACIFIC: Phoenix (36-14), LAC (34-18), LAL (32-19), GS (24-27), SAC (22-29)
SOUTHWEST: Dallas (28-22), MEM (26-23), SA (24-25), NO (22-29), HOU (14-37)
NORTHWEST: Utah (38-13), DEN (33-18), POR (30-20), OKC (20-31), MIN (13-39)
CURRENT PLAYOFF WEST 8: UTA, PHX, LAC, DEN, LAL, POR, DAL, MEM

CURRENT LONGEST WINNING STREAK: Phoenix and Denver (7 straight wins each)
CURRENT LONGEST LOSING STREAK: San Antonio, Sacramento, and Oklahoma City (4 straight losses each)

No teams I know of have been automatically eliminated, neither has anybody clinched anything yet. So there's still room to improve.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Some surprising news this morning. LeMarcus Aldridge is retiring following a health scare, discovering he had an irregular heartbeat during his last game.

Yeah, McLaren, I heard about that. I certainly wish him the best in his retirement. Anything heart-related is greatly concerning.

As for my Houston Rockets? Well, the 2020-2021 team still stinks. We have the same number of wins as Minnesota- 14. Only thing is that we're not dead last [yet], as the Timberwolves have 42 losses compared to Houston's 41. Fourteen wins is the fewest number of wins in Houston Rockets history, which happened in the 1982-1983 season. That team finished with a record of 14-68. All I know is... the Rockets better go gang busters in the NBA Draft and the Draft Lottery to prevent this futility from ever happening again. Most of this was instituted by James Harden's frustrations with the Rockets. Then all the injuries happened. The 2020-2021 season can't end any sooner for this gravely disappointing Rockets team this season.

Rockets WIN! The Houston Rockets are on a back-to-back playing both of Florida's teams. They won at the Orlando Magic 114-110. The win snapped their five-game losing streak. Their next game is at the Miami Heat tomorrow night. We're just trying to avoid having the league's worst record, let alone being last place in the Western Division.

Back