Endurance Racing Discussion Thread - WEC, ELMS etcSports Cars 

• Thread starter Kowhai
  • 825 comments
While I doubt the hypercar class will be sustainable in the long run, it’s nice to have the manufacturer support. We get brief but legendary eras like group c and 2014-2016 P1 Hybrids. Hoping we get more of the same for hypercars

While I doubt the hypercar class will be sustainable in the long run, it’s nice to have the manufacturer support. We get brief but legendary eras like group c and 2014-2016 P1 Hybrids. Hoping we get more of the same for hypercars

Group C lasted a decade, LMGT1/GTP class was 5 years, hybrid era started before 2014 and didn't end in 2016.

I think he was referring to the level of manufacturer involvement and competition in those years.

Group C for the first half was mainly just Porsche 🤬 on Lancia with half-baked attempts from Jaguar and Nissan and privateers.

I think electrification of the Auto industry will render this obsolete sooner than you think.

What does that have to do with me clarifying and correcting his recollection or learned history? My response isn't saying he is wrong or right about the hyper car class. If it's anything like GT1 it may have a few solid years and go just due to rampant costs, even with cost control methods.

Also electrification of auto industry doesn't mean at all that it is set in stone if so manufactures wouldn't be pushing forth looking at new energy renewal or tech methods. It's one solution not thee solution.

I think he was referring to the level of manufacturer involvement and competition in those years.

Okay and????

My point still stands the era's were longer than he realises and manufacture involvement was longer lasting than he gives credit to as well.

What does that have to do with me clarifying and correcting his recollection or learned history? My response isn't saying he is wrong or right about the hyper car class. If it's anything like GT1 it may have a few solid years and go just due to rampant costs, even with cost control methods.

Okay and????

My point still stands the era's were longer than he realises and manufacture involvement was longer lasting than he gives credit to as well.

FutureF1's assertion was that he hopes for more legendary years. Your opinion on what constitutes a legendary year may differ. I'm sure he's aware that the hybrid era started before 2014 and is still ongoing, and that multiple manufacturers were involved for much longer than the eras he mentions. I personally wouldn't consider an on-the-road Toyota whitewash like we had last season to be legendary, for example, but other opinions are available.

I can't speak for the Group C years as I didn't experience them, so my knowledge from that era is generally only gleaned from other people's rose-tinted-glasses view.

Roo
FutureF1's assertion was that he hopes for more legendary years. Your opinion on what constitutes a legendary year may differ. I'm sure he's aware that the hybrid era started before 2014 and is still ongoing, and that multiple manufacturers were involved for much longer than the eras he mentions. I personally wouldn't consider an on-the-road Toyota whitewash like we had last season to be legendary, for example, but other opinions are available.

I can't speak for the Group C years as I didn't experience them, so my knowledge from that era is generally only gleaned from other people's rose-tinted-glasses view.

K

Again that has absolutely nothing to do with illustrating the factual reality of competitive years of racing that extend well beyond. His opinion of legendary only highlights potential years he may have liked but doesn't highlight the regulation eras as they ran, nor the fact they had more competition than that of what he is willing to recognize.

Jeez ok was not expecting this response.

I know the eras were longer, but there are defining years of each major era, which is more what I was referring to.

I’m excited to see the larger number of manufacturers competing in the top class. That’s all.

Sorry about any confusion

Jeez ok was not expecting this response.

I know the eras were longer, but there are defining years of each major era, which is more what I was referring to.

I’m excited to see the larger number of manufacturers competing in the top class. That’s all.

Sorry about any confusion

No confusion just clarifying if that was your criteria you might as well just list the "legendary" years you hope this class can emulate or comapre to. Because the era's are defined for differnt reasons not this year or that, but typically the technology.

Group C has parts I'd say to the Saga starting with Porsche and ending with Peugeot.

I think the one thing we all I hope for is interesting racing and great cars

In other news, Mercedes' hypercar. I can't imagine many people have thought Mercedes aren't doing this.

Have they announced a program? Because that car was unveiled when the hypercar class was still just distant rumblings.

COTA replaces Sao Paulo on WEC 2020 calendar.

https://racer.com/2019/12/02/cota-back-on-wec-calendar-sao-paulo-6-hours-canceled/

Middle of February in Texas is still pretty chilly. I don't think there will be a lot of people attending this race.

Then again, it is Texas. Better to be somewhere in that general latitude at that time of the year compared to say, Lime Rock Park or Watkins Glen. Menawhile, that endurance at Sebring is in March and seems to be doing fine.

Then again, it is Texas. Better to be somewhere in that general latitude at that time of the year compared to say, Lime Rock Park or Watkins Glen. Menawhile, that endurance at Sebring is in March and seems to be doing fine.

Sebring already has a built in fanbase. COTA didn't have good attendance for WEC when they were there during warmer weather. We'll see how it goes.

Also, here was my idea for what other automakers could join the hypercar class, and with which cars:

Audi: PB18, maybe? Wait, I had a better idea: what if they made an R8 successor called the R10, named for another Audi LMP?

BMW: Undisclosed hypercar - can someone confirm/deny that rumor?

Brabham: That new car they made. It looks like it'd fit. Probably.

Chevrolet: Something via Chaparral? What else have they even done with them aside from the 2X VGT?

Ferrari: SF90. It makes sense, being what I assume is a F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari successor.

Ford: Maybe another GT40 homage, separate from the current generation of the GT that's being discontinued, since I heard they're more interested in Le Mans than IMSA at the moment.

Jaguar: C-X75. I mean, it was a while between Toyota's Gazoo Supersport being presented in Tokyo to being confirmed, right?

Lamborghini: Maybe something resembling the recently-revealed VGT? Knowing them, it'd likely be a new car entirely.

Mercedes-Benz: AMG Project ONE, and if it's not this, then I don't know what it'd be.

Porsche: Some sort of successor to the 959/Carrera GT/918. Maybe some sort of 920?

So, Alonso got inducted into the WEC Hall of Fam today??? He’s already in the F1 Hall of Fame....even though he’s publicly stated that he is looking at both F1 and WEC options for 2021.

Seems like kind of a joke to be inducting a guy who isn’t even retired yet...

So, Alonso got inducted into the WEC Hall of Fam today??? He’s already in the F1 Hall of Fame....even though he’s publicly stated that he is looking at both F1 and WEC options for 2021.

Seems like kind of a joke to be inducting a guy who isn’t even retired yet...

I’m pretty sure every driver that wins a world championship that year is inducted into the FIA Hall of Fame. He’s the first person to win a WEC world championship and an F1 world championship

I’m pretty sure every driver that wins a world championship that year is inducted into the FIA Hall of Fame. He’s the first person to win a WEC world championship and an F1 world championship
That seems really desperate, inducting people before they’re retired. And one championship, regardless of circumstance? That’s a yoke. I like Alonso, but there was nothing “hall of fame worthy” about his WEC stint. He did his job, the bare minimum, nothing special.

Back