Endurance Racing Discussion Thread - WEC, ELMS etcSports Cars 

• Thread starter Kowhai
  • 825 comments
On arrival in Bahrain.

124817884_3657864204270007_823918375643616130_o.jpg

First details of Peugeot's LMH drivetrain confirmed:
Peugeot Sport
The main features of the PEUGEOT HYBRID4 500KW are:

— hybrid technology, with a mid-rear, 2.6-litre, 500 kW (680 horsepower), twin-turbo, V6, petrol internal combustion engine combined with a front-mounted 200 kW motor generator unit,

— a high-power-density battery co-developed jointly by PEUGEOT Sport, Total, and its subsidiary Saft,

— four-wheel drive transmission and a sequential seven-speed gearbox,

— smart powertrain and energy flow management, a key to high performance and developed under the direction of François Coudrain, PEUGEOT Sport’s WEC Program Powertrain Director.

Last edited:
Porsche confirms LMDh entry

maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting, because Audi has pulled out of Formula E to focus on the WEC and now it seems like Porsche will be doing both? I guess Dieselgate ended up not being a big deal for VAG

Maybe because WEC is the second most important thing after F1 and now with the IMSA partnership the world of prototypes reach new audience and level.

Ah, what the great news! 2023 will be hot! Porsche one love, can't wait for more info!

There also some GT2 cars came out, it gives me feeling of good old Motorsport is coming back, after so many years of stalling. Hope to see Audi and Porsche will put their GT2 machines as well, hope Mercedes will not make them wait too, and perhaps much more than that.

Last edited:
Been meaning to go back to le mans but with no top class competition I haven't bothered, upon audi deciding to come back i committed to a 2021 visit, now porsche are back too I guess 2022 will also involve a visit the the circuit de la sarthe ! Can't wait!

Finally the best race in the world will be back on top form.

Been meaning to go back to le mans but with no top class competition I haven't bothered, upon audi deciding to come back i committed to a 2021 visit, now porsche are back too I guess 2022 will also involve a visit the the circuit de la sarthe ! Can't wait!

Finally the best race in the world will be back on top form.

I would rather plan for the centennial race in 2023.

Rather encouraging to see Porsche return not just to the WEC, but also the top class for IMSA with the same machine. The early LMDh renders look gorgeous; clean, modern and with clear links to the 919 through the glasshouse and rear wing.

With not only this, but also the recent announcements by Peugeot and Audi, I have to wonder whether Aston Martin were wise to shelve the Valkyrie Hypercar project so early in favour of rebranding Racing Point.

As I said in the wake of the Audi announcement,

One more manufacturer and, by any measure, these regs can be called a success.

That, it has turned out to be. All of the big four going at it at once seems like the biggest endurance spectacle I will ever have witnessed.

Porsche confirms LMDh entry
Interesting, because Audi has pulled out of Formula E to focus on the WEC and now it seems like Porsche will be doing both? I guess Dieselgate ended up not being a big deal for VAG

Audi and BMW commented about to exit of Formula E that the technology transfer to the street is at the maximum point and further developments are not necesseary. Also Diess , CEO of VW, is not the biggest fan of Formula E. He thinks that the future of motorsport is with E-Fuels. And with the introduced LMDH, E-Fuels can be used according to regulations.

Last edited:
Not been on in some time I’m sorry to say. I guess I’ve had things in my personal life this last year more important than sport and covid had hit motorsports too in 2020.

But I’m back. I was reading an article about Glickenhaus not making Sebring. Worrying we will only start the LMH era with 3 cars (2x TGR and 1x ByKolles).

Alpine isn’t coming till 2022, Porsche from 2023, Aston Martin shelved their LMH plans and Rebellion Racing are gone.

In addition to all the LMGTE PRO departures lately (Ford, BMW and now Aston Martin (again!)) it looks like the WEC is close to dying when you think the LMP2 class looks poor with a class of Goodyear shod ORECA 07 Gibson cars and the LMGTE AM class looks poor too for me.

I may focus on the IMSA WSCC or ELMS. Or go back to GTs. Or even try WRC or WRX again.

You guys might have seen it already but there's a 6-part documentary of the Iron Dames running a 488 GTE in ELMS:

Also, Toyota share a soundbite of their Hypercar:

I like it, though it doesn't seem too far from what was before. I hope they've gotten rid of the rules allowing completely different bodywork at the low downforce tracks. Those long front overhangs at Le Mans and Spa are disgusting.

Asian Le Mans Series season will be a bit more interesting now. Instead of 4 Yas Marina races we'll have 2 at Dubai and 2 at Yas Marina:

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/asian-lms/dubai-to-open-2021-season-in-updated-calendar/

It will mark the first time that the Asian LMS has held a race at the 3.3-mile Dubai Autodrome, which is famous for holding the Hankook 24H Dubai each January.

A record 38-car season entry, including a 21-car GT3 field, is set to take part in the 2021 season.

2021 Asian Le Mans Series Schedule
Feb. 13 – Dubai Autodrome
Feb. 14 – Dubai Autodrome
Feb. 19 – Yas Marina Circuit
Feb. 20 – Yas Marina Circuit

Last edited:
I like it, though it doesn't seem too far from what was before. I hope they've gotten rid of the rules allowing completely different bodywork at the low downforce tracks. Those long front overhangs at Le Mans and Spa are disgusting.

As far as I know, in the spirit of cost cutting, aero development is limited in scope. I think they can only work on car in off season.

Back