Endurance Racing Discussion Thread - WEC, ELMS etcSports Cars 

• Thread starter Kowhai
  • 825 comments
No replay on motor trend app? Seriously? I'm canceling

Unfortunately not. I asked that question to Motor Trend before I subscribed and they told me that IF a replay was available it might not be the full race but it could be a heavily edited version because that's what the host series dictates. So that 6 hour race could be edited down to maybe a 52 minute highlight package. Which to me is total BS.

At least with the WEC subscription you could watch a full replay of the race I think for 3 weeks after it originally ran. I basically only did the Motor Trend thing for LeMans and WEC because if you can't watch a race live for some reason you're screwed. And their Xbox app is a total joke.

Have you heard the Fords in person? They are very loud.

Yeah I’ve seen them at Silverstone a few times. They sound rubbish compared to their looks. The old V8 Ford GT GT1 car now that was a beast!

*Also the original GT40 in the video sounds miles better than the new *shudders* turbo v6...

Unfortunately not. I asked that question to Motor Trend before I subscribed and they told me that IF a replay was available it might not be the full race but it could be a heavily edited version because that's what the host series dictates. So that 6 hour race could be edited down to maybe a 52 minute highlight package. Which to me is total BS.

At least with the WEC subscription you could watch a full replay of the race I think for 3 weeks after it originally ran. I basically only did the Motor Trend thing for LeMans and WEC because if you can't watch a race live for some reason you're screwed. And their Xbox app is a total joke.

Yeah I googled a Reddit post and apparently it could take 3-4 weeks to upload the replay and it's possible it's only a 52 recap. Which is ridiculous. Now they wonder why people illegally stream this stuff, they leave no choice for people I the US

Yeah I’ve seen them at Silverstone a few times. They sound rubbish compared to their looks. The old V8 Ford GT GT1 car now that was a beast!

*Also the original GT40 in the video sounds miles better than the new *shudders* turbo v6...

People still moaning about sound?

Ford GT GT1 wasn't a beast, just cause it has a V8 doesn't make it some world shattering master piece of a car. It was crap, ran like crap, performed like crap and ended in similar fashion. If it actually was a beast then so was the Jaguar GT2, BMW M6 GTLM, and Esperante GT-LM.

It was also a slow and unreliable heap of junk.
Was it really? I swear it won a few races in GT1 before. It was a good race I think. Not the best I've seen but not bad either. Was worth getting up early for. The lmp1 battle will just get better from here on. These guys needed a race under their belt to see how fast the Toyota really is and to get on top of their cars. They'll have killer top speed at Le Mans too. That's gonna be interesting to see!

Was it really? I swear it won a few races in GT1 before. It was a good race I think. Not the best I've seen but not bad either. Was worth getting up early for. The lmp1 battle will just get better from here on. These guys needed a race under their belt to see how fast the Toyota really is and to get on top of their cars. They'll have killer top speed at Le Mans too. That's gonna be interesting to see!

It won a few races, but doesn't mean it was a good car. Those races in GT1 were quite limited lap wise, and it took a couple years of development and the series on its final legs for it to make a difference. The current GT is far better.

People still moaning about sound?

Ford GT GT1 wasn't a beast, just cause it has a V8 doesn't make it some world shattering master piece of a car. It was crap, ran like crap, performed like crap and ended in similar fashion. If it actually was a beast then so was the Jaguar GT2, BMW M6 GTLM, and Esperante GT-LM.

Of course. Sound is one of the most important aspect of a car when you’re spectating at the circuit.

I don’t go to the circuit to get excited by a farty sounding turbo V6 “prototype” of questionable legality as a GT car dominate certain events. The cars you listed probably were fan favorites in the crowd if they were spectacular sounding cars.

Without giving away spoilers, would anyone be able to help me with the App? I just got it on my tablet, then payed about $6 to be able to watch Spa.

When I go to the “Replay” tab on the left side, I get to a screen that has a black media screen, and then each hour of the are listed on the left (brown/red colour). When I click on any of these videos, nothing happens.

All the videos in the Highlights section work, just nothing in the Full Replays.

Do I still have to wait for them to upload the race or something?

Go on the WEC website (if you can) The replays are playable on that.

https://www.fiawec.com/

Click on member area, log in and click on live & Replay.

Just checked the App and they play fine.

Edit. If you are in America it is geo locked.

Yeah I'm in the US, that's the point of my rant lol But appreciate you checking. Does it cost anything to register on the site? Because a VPN outside the US should work if that's the case, even it dies cost anything, might be worth it

Of course. Sound is one of the most important aspect of a car when you’re spectating at the circuit.

Quite subjective, so no "of course", more like case by case.

I don’t go to the circuit to get excited by a farty sounding turbo V6 “prototype” of questionable legality as a GT car dominate certain events. The cars you listed probably were fan favorites in the crowd if they were spectacular sounding cars.

Strange it's not really what it sounds like, also not a reason most people go to watch a race, they tend to watch races for...the racing. You are probably on the outs within the majority of people. I wont debate the legality of the car I've been vocal on it being quite a scheme by Ford and Ganassi. Jaguar wasn't a fan favorite it sucked, the Panoz wasn't a fan favorite cause it also sucked. The BMW had fans, but there was a niche group (one of whom liked your comment @catamount39 ) that hated it, because it was large like a boat. But hey they all had V8s so they must be "epic".

Last edited:
Yeah I'm in the US, that's the point of my rant lol But appreciate you checking. Does it cost anything to register on the site? Because a VPN outside the US should work if that's the case, even it dies cost anything, might be worth it
If you've paid for access via the app, you could try Chrome and Hola (if that still works) but the replays are behind the paywall. They did upload them to Youtube last season so they might this season as well.

Quite subjective, so no really of course, more like case by case.

Strange it's not really what it sounds like, also not a reason most people go to watch a race, they tend to watch races for...the racing. You are probably on the outs within the majority of people. I wont debate the legality of the car I've been vocal on it being quite a scheme by Ford and Ganassi. Jaguar wasn't a fan favorite it sucked, the Panoz wasn't a fan favorite cause it also sucked. The BMW had fans, but their was a niche group (one of whom liked your comment @catamount39 ) that hated it, because it was large like a boat. But hey they all had V8s so they must be "epic".
I liked his jab at the "'prototype' of questionable legality as a GT car" part, sue me. :rolleyes:

Since when has the M6 been a crowd favorite? Its a ginormous boat that's had the least success of all GT3 cars within the past 4 years (and the laughably bad GTLM upgraded version of the car that won all but 1 or 2 races? :lol: ). Could be worse...could be the M8 GTE.

I liked his jab at the "'prototype' of questionable legality as a GT car" part, sue me. :rolleyes:

Since when has the M6 been a crowd favorite? Its a ginormous boat that's had the least success of all GT3 cars within the past 4 years (and the laughably bad GTLM car :lol: ), better than the M8 so far though.

M8 has been hampered by BoP and finally seems decent it got a podium faster than the old car. As for the M6 comment you've proven my point with out much struggle thanks. Just like other BMW racers it had a good number of fans.

Also...

upload_2018-5-6_10-22-35.png

^ The one you're thinking of is clearly not the comment I was talking about

I’m confused. I’m in Canada, I got the app, I payed $6.99 to watch the race...but it’s geo locked?

I just checked the App again, still nothing. None of the videos in the replay section work.

So I got the app, and now I need to try using the website instead?

This’ll probably be the last time I send wec any money, I’ll just wait to watch races on YouTube :(

Edit: so I’m on the website now, logged in, it says “Spa 2018 Race Pack - Purchased”....then it says replays are locked in the US and Canada.

Wtf. Did this app seriously just let me buy something that is locked in my region? I’m so pissed right now, this is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:
I’m confused. I’m in Canada, I got the app, I payed $6.99 to watch the race...but it’s geo locked?

I just checked the App again, still nothing. None of the videos in the replay section work.

So I got the app, and now I need to try using the website instead?

This’ll probably be the last time I send wec any money, I’ll just wait to watch races on YouTube :(

Edit: so I’m on the website now, logged in, it says “Spa 2018 Race Pack - Purchased”....then it says replays are locked in the US and Canada.

Wtf. Did this app seriously just let me buy something that is locked in my region? I’m so pissed right now, this is beyond ridiculous.

I think US and Canada are subjected to motor tend or velocity. Anything else is geo blocked.

So does anyone know how Americans and Canadians go about watching this? Or do we have to wait a year for it to show up on YouTube.

I also pay for the Motortrend On Demand app, but it doesn’t have WEC.

And I still cannot figure out why the app would allow me to purchase something that is geo locked. What a rip off.

So does anyone know how Americans and Canadians go about watching this? Or do we have to wait a year for it to show up on YouTube.

I also pay for the Motortrend On Demand app, but it doesn’t have WEC.

And I still cannot figure out why the app would allow me to purchase something that is geo locked. What a rip off.
A vpn can get around geo blocked content, small investment that's worth it. If this is not appropriate forum discussion, please delete

I subscribe to motortrend on demand like i said, but it absolutely sucks. Terrible service.

Races sometimes take weeks to upload (eg V8SC). Other series, like BTCC, they only upload 5 minute highlight packs during the season, and don’t upload full races until the season is finished.

The only reason I pay for the app is so that I’m contributing some money to the cause, but I don’t actually watch anything on it. YouTube is a better source to find races uploaded in a more timely fashion, even if some of the YouTube races aren’t exaclty legal reproductions. Anything I can’t find on YouTube, I watch on pirated streams (happy to share, but will have to be done in private messages, I don’t want to end up with another 5 magic bonus points on my account). Like I said, I pay for Motortrend on Demand, but I’m not waiting 3 weeks to watch a V8 race.

I looked on the App, didn’t see WEC anywhere. I’ll check again tonight. If all they do is stream the live event, but you can’t watch the replay on demand....that’s rediculous!!

So, final time. Does anyone here know how a Canadian can watch a replay of this race? I’ve payed for it on the WEC app, I subscribe to Motortrend...but I still can’t watch it. Is a pirated stream, or YouTube in 6-12 months, going to be my only options?

WEC is a 🤬 joke.

I watched the race on Velocity. Even though there were 4 hours of withheld live coverage I do appreciate that they included a half-hour pre-race and half-hour post-race. I absolutely raged every time Fox cut the footage 10 seconds after the leading P1 crossed the line with absolutely no hint of where everyone else finished.

I got a eurosport player sub. Good video quality and commercial free, but theres no commentary. They take the world tv feed and its the same commentators who do the official wec stream who do Eurosport. So i dont know why Eurosport player doesnt just take the commentary aswell. Seems daft.

I got a eurosport player sub. Good video quality and commercial free, but theres no commentary. They take the world tv feed and its the same commentators who do the official wec stream who do Eurosport. So I dont know why Eurosport player doesnt just take the commentary aswell. Seems daft.
That is a very odd decision. Sportscars in particular needs commentary as there is so much going on simultaneously.

Matevos Isaakyan's Spa crash:

With this and the Dragonspeed accident can the Dallara's safely start at Le Mans? These teams should be seriously considering renting the Ginetta's from Manor who can't pay their bills.

Back