2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

I hate the phrase "set for" because it just means "we're guessing to hope we can claim the scoop". Nothing is confirmed from official and more reputable sources without the words "set for", so I'm not going to accept this as good until we see.
Considering it's on all the reputable sites, it means they have inside info that it's happening.

Bad move for Alonso, unless he just wants more money.

If its a two year deal i can see why it tempted him back. First year with current regs with Alonso being involved in the development of 2022's new car under the new regulations. Second year with 2022 regs are Renault's best chance of shuffling the pack and finding themselves closer to the front.

But history has rarely been kind to those who have ventured back to F1 after a sabbatical, especially those with the most reputation to loose.

Considering it's on all the reputable sites, it means they have inside info that it's happening.

Bad move for Alonso, unless he just wants more money.
They all still say "set for" which still means absolutely nothing.

I am definitely okay with such a consummately skilled driver as Alonso coming back to F1. My enthusiasm is tempered only by the fact that Renault is not even a top mid-field team at the moment, and that the commitment may interfere with his ambitious but justified career goal of completing the highly exclusive and desirable Triple Crown at Indy. Even so, I confidently predict he will put on some amazing performances, better than anything recently seen at Renault.

Im very excited about Alonso's return. Big fan of his . He got a rotten deal with McLaren last time out. At least he's in one of the top 6 teams. Not the bottom one.

I'm very happy with this. I understand why some won't be.

I think its a really important move for Renaukt more than Fernando. He knows where the car will be next season, it'll be similar to this season. No promises of world besting with an underdeveloped and untested engine. So there will be a good bit of drive inside him. A team and people he knows and gets on with and a clear goal for Renault. Guide the development for the 2022 car with Alonso at the helm, get that car to the front at the reg change. Ready for the next generation to come.jn alongside Ocon who should by then be the team leader.

Renault needs to fire Cyril Abiteboul and I’ll feel more comfortable about this move... the romantic in me is excited to see Alonso back at Enstone. The realist is terrified that the McLaren days will return

Renault needs to fire Cyril Abiteboul and I’ll feel more comfortable about this move... the romantic in me is excited to see Alonso back at Enstone. The realist is terrified that the McLaren days will return

I don't think it would go that far south. Renault have a half decent platform unlike the unknown at the time that was Honda. By the time Renaukt rocked up at Mclaren, Alonsos confidence and drive had been destroyed by the team.

I don't think he was ever destined to succeed at Mclaren, 2007 included. He's not stupid, he will have seen everything said when he left sk this is his shot at true redemption.

So... how many races before Alonso once again has a meltdown with the team?

I dont think this will go that way. He's an intelligent man, he knows the Renault is probably the 5th best car. He could help it to the 4th best maybe. But there is a higger picture for Renault here who have struggled with a development direction and havent had anyone on board who seems to be able to move a car forwards. Mclaren were on the rocks from day 1 with Honda and theres nothing anyone could have done about it, they had 2 of the best drivers for pushing a car on board.

This is all about getting Renault moving forwards at last, he may never win a race for them but they may win races because of him.

I dont think this will go that way. He's an intelligent man, he knows the Renault is probably the 5th best car. He could help it to the 4th best maybe. But there is a higger picture for Renault here who have struggled with a development direction and havent had anyone on board who seems to be able to move a car forwards. Mclaren were on the rocks from day 1 with Honda and theres nothing anyone could have done about it, they had 2 of the best drivers for pushing a car on board.

This is all about getting Renault moving forwards at last, he may never win a race for them but they may win races because of him.

It's nothing short of a publicity stunt, just like his move to Mclaren-Honda in 2015. He knew what he was in for, and he still slaughtered Honda in the media. This Renault story will play out just the same.

I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but there is nothing he will bring to Renault to get them somehow miraculously to the front of the grid in 2022. I'm saying he just misses being part of the show, and having the media attention around him. Obviously WEC wasn't popular or dramatic enough for him.

Had he raced instead of being pathetic in 2007, he would've had more then 2 titles under his belt by now...

Had he raced instead of being pathetic in 2007, he would've had more then 2 titles under his belt by now...
Lmao what? Okay.

Anyways, I just saw Alonso’s post about returning and he seems genuinely confident in Renault’s ability. My hope is that he’s seen something in that team that tells him they’ll have a challenger in 2022 and 2021 was added so he could aid with development. Obviously we won’t know until it all plays out.

The fact that the spending cap will be in effect will help Renault a lot as well. Im sure they have the infrastructure to bridge the gap once the top 3 cant spend $400M per year.

Lmao what? Okay.

Anyways, I just saw Alonso’s post about returning and he seems genuinely confident in Renault’s ability. My hope is that he’s seen something in that team that tells him they’ll have a challenger in 2022 and 2021 was added so he could aid with development. Obviously we won’t know until it all plays out.

Less so 2021 unless they nail develoment this year. But 2022 really is the aim here.

It's sad state of affairs when driver of Vettel's calibre is being left out to dry. Multiple champions shouldn't be forced to leave the sport against their will.

We need more teams, we're at the point now where only one F2 driver can get a seat each year, next year probably none of them if Latifi doesn't drop the ball. The entire grid for next year has basically been formed already. It's a complete waste of a seat throwing Alonso in when Renault has quite a large junior academy. He's old news, there's nothing more he can do. The complete lack of testing makes it really hard for juniors cause if you're lucky you'll get one or two Friday practise sessions a year. But otherwise you just kinda hover around the paddock and hope one of the drivers falls ill.

As much as i welcome Alonso back and as much as a shame i think it is the Vettel looks to be out next season, swapping one older multiple world champion for another doesn't bother me. They both have fairly serious character flaws as drivers IMO anyway. Vettel is temperamental on track when things aren't going his way and Alonso is temperamental when he doesn't get his way within a team environment. It's their personas off track that makes them a benefit to the whole F1 circus more than anything.

I do think there's been in the last few seasons a greater influx of new talent then in any time i can recall previously. Whether they'll ever get the opportunity to show their skills off to their fullest or not is the age old question, but i think there are more drivers who deserve to be in F1 on talent alone right now then there ever has been. Even the middle-of-the-pack drivers who have been around for five or six or more seasons all can show moments of impressive pace when they're not falling over themselves.

Alonso coming back is a good move for him - to show he's still got the speed and racing killer instinct, coupled with a possible move to a higher echelon team if the opportunity presents itself.

Could be a good move for Renault if only for the short term publicity but he has a 'kiss of death' type history with teams he's been involved with.

An equal to top dog Hamilton though and he should be at least as fast as ricciardo is over ocon.

I'll be keeping tabs on the relevant quali times for reference when he takes the reins.

He'll be bitching and moaning about the crappy F2 engine that powers the car every race. There is no need for him to come back. His final years at Mclaren transformed him into a whiny asshole who's lollipop was stolen. His ego intervenes with his ability to help a team forward with his experience.

Alonso coming back is a good move for him - to show he's still got the speed and racing killer instinct, coupled with a possible move to a higher echelon team if the opportunity presents itself.

Doubt it. Renault is his last outing. I don't think teams will suddenly want to open doors for him, because he came back and spent some time at Renault.

It's a publicity move for F1. They'll get extra viewers and interest with Alonso back.

I think Alonso return will be better than Schumi's. He hasn't been out of F1 and just been sitting around at home. He's won WEC 2x, did Indy, Daytona and Dakar. I don't think he'll win another championship, but even with a half decent car he will grab a few opportunistic podiums here and there (maybe even a win). He'll probably stay until the new regulation cars on 2022 to get a feel for it, and then decide his future. My feeling is he'll probably end up in an advisor role at Renault.

As for Seb, well let's just say that his head is in even worse shape this year than the last after being dumped by Ferrari. Poor guy. I can't see a competitive drive turning up for him anywhere so this is probably it for him. I'll miss his character off track, but not on track. Perhaps he can be Mick's mentor?

I personally dont think the Racing Point/Aston Martin door is closed on Seb just yet. I think that may be a very credible possibility.

Vettel and Kimi should buy shares in Williams and begin running it/driving for them. We haven't seen a World Champion team on the grid for ages, not since Prost and Stewart if memory serves me correct.

Vettel and Kimi should buy shares in Williams and begin running it/driving for them. We haven't seen a World Champion team on the grid for ages, not since Prost and Stewart if memory serves me correct.
I want to live in this timeline, please, Kimi as a team boss would be the greatest gift to press conferences ever.

Back