2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

I want to live in this timeline, please, Kimi as a team boss would be the greatest gift to press conferences ever.

Rumour has it he invested heavily in Sauber when he moved from Ferrari.

I'd like to see Fernando Alonso do something similar with Williams or Renault. FA Racing already exists and this livery/colour combo needs to be in F1.
header-noticia-1024x536.jpg

drivex-programme-11.jpg

Yeah I think that door still might be cracked open a little bit,

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

This could be quite extravagant if this happens.

• Vettel joins Racing Point/Aston Marting, who seem to be on nothing but an upwards trajectory. At this moment, moving from the under-performing, somewhat chaotic Scuderia into a solid mid-fielder who are constantly improving would be a lateral move, imo.
  • Vettel brings a whole bunch of race and car development experience, which will no doubt be a major benefit to Aston Martin, since they're still effectively a new team.
  • Vettel effectively joins Mercedes-Benz by proxy, since the team will be powered my Merc PUs, alongside Toto Wolff recently investing in the brand.
The only real loser would be Perez, since Stroll probably won't be moved out for obvious reasons. The only realistic moves I could see for him is to move to Alfa Romeo (aka returning to Sauber), or to take his sponsorship dollars to Haas and potentially grant them both a driver upgrade and a welcome cash injection. That being said, both are basically downward moves for Perez.

That is quite the stab in the back if they get rid of Perez. Lance should be the one losing his seat.

To add to that, I think keeping Stroll while replacing Perez with Vettel is actually a downgrade from their current line-up. Vettel hasn't driven like the 4 time WDC he is since 2017 in my opinion.

Vettel brings a whole bunch of race and car development experience, which will no doubt be a major benefit to Aston Martin

Schumacher was the boss of this, but Vettel doesn't seem to have been so good. In fact (iirc) Ferrari publicly suggested he should stop doing it.

since they're still effectively a new team.

Not really, they go through the same rate of personnel changes as most teams but I wouldn't call them 'new'. In any case there's a big reset in 2022 and they've had the same amount of prep time as everybody else.

Schumacher was the boss of this, but Vettel doesn't seem to have been so good. In fact (iirc) Ferrari publicly suggested he should stop doing it.

Not really, they go through the same rate of personnel changes as most teams but I wouldn't call them 'new'. In any case there's a big reset in 2022 and they've had the same amount of prep time as everybody else.

Its difficult to know if Ferrari would even want input. Ferrari suggesting it publicly would tell me they're just criticising him being critical. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors there.

Stroll is the most likely to be replaced, he isn't safe just because of his dad, even if the decision was solely his, he's still a business man and signing Vettel alongside Perez is good business. Nevermind the other people he needs to keep happy.

I expect to see it announced before Hungary. And then a series of events that may trigger some moves to happen before this season is out.

If Vettel to Aston Martin is going to happen, then surely Perez has to stay. Perez and Vettel in that Pink Mercedes next year could be formidable and Lawrence Stroll must surely be thinking about the whole team and how good that would be.

Lance doesn't have a contract for next season officially. I think the best thing to do would be to make him reserve driver (with some FP1 runs) and give him a season in Formula 2. Lance is an F3 champion, will have had 4 full seasons in F1 by then, and surely more than just one podium if that RP is so good. He should thrive in F2, and a good season there might shut up the haters. Keeps him in a cheaper seat, racing on the F1 weekend and should show his skills against other rated drivers.

If Vettel to Aston Martin is going to happen, then surely Perez has to stay. Perez and Vettel in that Pink Mercedes next year could be formidable and Lawrence Stroll must surely be thinking about the whole team and how good that would be.

Lance doesn't have a contract for next season officially. I think the best thing to do would be to make him reserve driver (with some FP1 runs) and give him a season in Formula 2. Lance is an F3 champion, will have had 4 full seasons in F1 by then, and surely more than just one podium if that RP is so good. He should thrive in F2, and a good season there might shut up the haters. Keeps him in a cheaper seat, racing on the F1 weekend and should show his skills against other rated drivers.

Or Aston could pop him into WEC for a season to keep him fresh at a high level.

Maybe the Dane train will kick his ass though lol

Ferrari had a different culture during the Todt/Brawn/Schumacher era. During Alonso and Vettel’s time it was/is mainly just “shut up and drive”.

Intensifying rumour: Vettel to Tracing Point (soon Aston Martin) for three years, Perez out. Supposedly confirmation is imminent, but isn't it always?

Incidentally, Hulk's graphics are still on the RP containers/gear, no official word on who the driver will actually be this weekend. Sure to be Hulkenberg, imo.

Intensifying rumour: Vettel to Tracing Point (soon Aston Martin) for three years, Perez out. Supposedly confirmation is imminent, but isn't it always?

If Aston Martin really is serious for an assault on the top crown for 2022, Perez is the driver they need, not Lance. I'm not saying Lance is useless, but Checo is the man they need in that car. I hoped father Stroll could see past that...

Thought this would be better here I suppose.

As long as he tests negative it looks like Perez is back racing this weekend then.

Hulk has been asking around about getting a seat in 2021. Given that there are still teams who haven't finalized their lineups yet, and a couple of them have drivers that are notably underperforming this year, a comeback isn't entirely out of the question.

Aston Martin should pair Perez and Hulk for next year, but that's only my opinion. Vettel doesn't seem to care anymore in all his interviews, his motivation is rock-bottom. Perez and Hulk is in my opinion the best line-up they could possibly have for next year.

Aston Martin should pair Perez and Hulk for next year, but that's only my opinion. Vettel doesn't seem to care anymore in all his interviews, his motivation is rock-bottom. Perez and Hulk is in my opinion the best line-up they could possibly have for next year.

I hope they don't end up overpaying for a dud driver. Vettel really needs to get back on the saddle or let go completely.

If Huelkenberg gets on the podium tomorrow, I think he needs to be brought up permanently. It's not fair to Stroll or Perez (even though we all know which one will get booted), but it's an undeniable performance considering how little time he's had in the car.

I'm intrigued by Alfa Romeo next year. I seriously doubt Raikkonen will hang around next year, though he's been running on zero :censored:s for the past fifteen so who knows. Giovinazzi is nothing special, but in Formula 2 Callum Ilott, Robert Shwartzmann and Mick Schumacher are all Ferrari academy drivers, and are all front-runners for the title. Schumacher is a bit behind the other two but his namesake basically guarantees him a seat in the not-too-distant future, so I think the one, or two seats available there next year will be fought for between those three.

I think with the RP/Aston thing there's too much assumption that Stroll won't be dropped. His dads a businessman and he has a large board of directors and a historic car brand to keep happy, and he'll know when sacrifices need to be made. Aston Martin wont settle for sub par line ups when there is great talent out there who can prove their worth and are doing so.

Mad predictionz:
Hulk and Vettel confirmed to Aston Martin for 2021.

Perez goes to Alfa Sauber, former FDA driver and former Sauber driver, can take good backing to a struggling team. Giovanazzi isnt secure, if Ilott/Schumacher/Schwartzmann win the F2 title. So let's say Perez and Ilott for Alfa.

Stroll wont get dropped by RP/Aston/Dad without some sort of security for his F1 seat. Discussions I reckon will already be at full steam for a deal with another struggling team, Haas, for Stroll to go there with an injection of 'sponsorship' money to replace Magnusson or Grosjean. Haas want to stay in F1, especially with the looming budget cap, they also want some cash to come in. They've yet to confirm their drivers I belive. I don't think either can feel secure, whoever Stroll would replace, I think coukd be alonside another FDA driver who can bring in some extra backing. Schwartzman would be a good shout there.

Summary.
Aston Martin - Vettel, Hulkenberg
Alfa Romeo - Perez, Ilott
Haas - Stroll, Schwartzman

Massive long shot but I predicted Sainz to Ferrari, Alonso to Renault, and last season Leclerc to Ferrari, all well ahead of any announcements. So don't rule it out just yet. :D

Yes I know it probably won't happen.

Stroll isn’t going anywhere, people need to get that thought out of their heads yesterday. Lawrence didn’t buy Force India on a whim or because he thought he could make money, he did it specifically to give Lance a secure seat in F1. No Lance=no Lawrence. Don’t forget that one of the main reasons Lawrence moved to buy FI is because Williams wouldn’t let him buy out their team and build it around Lance.
Either Perez stays or he goes. Vettel is most likely going to retire.

Stroll isn’t going anywhere, people need to get that thought out of their heads yesterday. Lawrence didn’t buy Force India on a whim or because he thought he could make money, he did it specifically to give Lance a secure seat in F1. No Lance=no Lawrence. Don’t forget that one of the main reasons Lawrence moved to buy FI is because Williams wouldn’t let him buy out their team and build it around Lance.
Either Perez stays or he goes. Vettel is most likely going to retire.

Don't be so sure, and it definitley isn't something that needs to be gotten out of people's heads. Lawrence Stroll owns the team now, but, with Aston Martin on board it isn't just down to him. Yes its likely Stroll will stay, hence my post being a long shot. However, no seat in F1 is safe regardless of who owns what. If Hulkenberg has a great race and, maybe even a podium, the pressure is immediately on Stroll and Perez, and on Lawrence Stroll, to make the right choices for the team. Lance is at a point where he brings nothing to the team other than his driving ability and thats an area he needs to improve.

Add to that a recent interview where Stroll in response to a question regarding the seats he said "**** happens, business is business so we'll see what happens". Not sounding terribly confident. Lawrence is a businessman through and through and Lance knows that. You don't get where he is by making friends and being nice, plus whether Stroll is retained or not the team doesn't lose money as the investment stays regardless. So a performance based switch around is not off the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back