2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

It's definitely a byproduct of a small grid.

Log jams of drivers trying to get in tends to wreck some careers as well.

That said I don't think the 2020 F2 grid was the best this season, miles lower in quality then 2018 for example.

Last edited:
Things Kimi Räikkönen definitely, definitely said:

In the interest of accuracy I have translated this back to Kimi's native Finnish;

"Bwoah, well, I dunno, when I don't want keep driving the car, then probably I stop it, for now I think is good."

In the interest of accuracy I have translated this back to Kimi's native Finnish;

"Bwoah, well, I dunno, when I don't want keep driving the car, then probably I stop it, for now I think is good."
You forgot the second sentence:
"Bwoah, team said they will provide enough ice cream to last me a lifetime, and that they will leave me alone because I know what I'm doing."

It does mean we are tortuously subjected to another season of David Croft talking about "Jovernazi".

Nails on chalkboard.

It does mean we are tortuously subjected to another season of David Croft talking about "Jovernazi".

Nails on chalkboard.
He joins Danyill Kivvyat, Carlos Signts and Max Vershtappen (he'sh Dutch, they musht shay it like thish) in that club...

So I think I have all this correct so far. Please do correct it if I overlooked something:

Mercedes: Hamilton and Bottas staying. Hamilton not confirmed yet, but... c'mon.
Ferrari: Leclerc staying, Sainz coming in.
Red Bull: Verstappen staying. Albon's status still unconfirmed.
Racing Point Aston Martin: Stroll staying, Vettel coming in.
McLaren: Ricciardo coming in, Norris staying.
Renault Alpine: Ocon staying, Alonso coming in.
AlphaTauri: Gasly staying. Kvyat's status still unconfirmed.
Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen and Giovinazzi staying.
Haas: Both seats vacated. Nothing confirmed yet, possible F2 drivers will come in for both.
Williams: Russell and Latifi confirmed.

Currently unsigned for 2021: Perez, Grosjean, Magnussen.

Edit: Williams just confirmed Russell is staying, updated as such.

Last edited:

Nails on chalkboard.

It's tough, because David Coulthard on Channel 4 is about as interesting as listening to paint dry. Give me the combination of Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle, surely the best of both worlds....

Such a shame we won't see Mick at Alfa. Part of me wants to see the circle completed. Schumi handed over his Ferrari seat to Kimi, and Kimi in his last years mentoring Mick. And who knows, maybe Mick can take Robin Raikkonen under his wings whenever he moves up to F1.

Albon is a goner surely unless he miraculously wins at Imola. I'd put him back at AT just so he can regain his mojo like Gasly. As for the second RB seat, my heart says Hulk but my head says Perez :lol:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

Not sure if he’s just trying to capture headlines or if he’s serious, but it would make sense. There’s no more records to break. Toto has been talking about stepping back, and I don’t see Hamilton at Mercedes without Toto Wolff. Would be funny if the only thing to end the Mercedes dynasty is Mercedes themselves pulling out. They have nothing left to prove.

Could be an interesting thing to watch as Hamilton certainly has enough things to do outside of F1 to keep him busy in retirement.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

Not sure if he’s just trying to capture headlines or if he’s serious, but it would make sense. There’s no more records to break. Toto has been talking about stepping back, and I don’t see Hamilton at Mercedes without Toto Wolff. Would be funny if the only thing to end the Mercedes dynasty is Mercedes themselves pulling out. They have nothing left to prove.

Could be an interesting thing to watch as Hamilton certainly has enough things to do outside of F1 to keep him busy in retirement.
Would Mercedes pulling out be a devastating blow to the sport or could it easily regain stride?

The sport survived Ferrari and Schumacher not winning constantly any more, so I'm sure it'll survive Mercedes leaving too. If the sport fizzles out it'll be over something else.

I'm not sure Hamilton is satisfied with stepping down now, even if Toto goes. He's "only" going to tie with Schumi in championship titles this year, and I have a feeling he wants to actually break the record with 8 titles. With the way things are right now, I think next year is probably his best chance at winning another title. The technical dominance of Mercedes is sure to last next season too, at least long enough for their drivers to capitalise on it.

Would Mercedes pulling out be a devastating blow to the sport or could it easily regain stride?

I'd imagine that would depend on whether they completely left or just the team left but they stayed as an engine manufacturer. If just the team leaves they would likely be fine as there doesn't seem to be a runaway 2nd team so there would be some pretty good competition. If they completely leave though the series would be in trouble as it would leave them with Ferrari, Renault and possibly "Red Bull".

What’s interesting is that the sport is actually pretty well represented heading into 2021 with Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda, Aston Martin, McLaren, Alfa Romeo, and Renault all having some form of involvement. Mercedes leaving would not hurt the sport imo

Last edited:
They all just signed a 5 year concorde agreement so they have to stay unt 2024.

Not really, contracts are barely worth the paper they're written on. Kind of like how BMW, Honda and Toyota all agreed in 2006 that they would stick around until 2012 only for all 3 to be gone by the time 2010 came around (plus Renault taking a hiatus from being a constructor for a few years after 2010).

https://www.espn.com/racing/news/story?id=2444582&seriesId=6

Not really, contracts are barely worth the paper they're written on. Kind of like how BMW, Honda and Toyota all agreed in 2006 that they would stick around until 2012 only for all 3 to be gone by the time 2010 came around (plus Renault taking a hiatus from being a constructor for a few years after 2010).

https://www.espn.com/racing/news/story?id=2444582&seriesId=6

I guess we can only hope then. Maybe the sport would be better off without them so to even the field a bit.

I guess we can only hope then. Maybe the sport would be better off without them so to even the field a bit.

Except it really wouldn't be. Max has pretty consistently been ahead of the rest after Mercedes. This year especially, it would be the Max Verstappen show, and I'm pretty confident people would hate that pretty quickly as well.

Except it really wouldn't be. Max has pretty consistently been ahead of the rest after Mercedes. This year especially, it would be the Max Verstappen show, and I'm pretty confident people would hate that pretty quickly as well.

Im just excited about 2022. Until then its pretty guaranteed to be the Hamilton show.

There's a very weird rumour doing the rounds that Bottas will be denied entry to the 2021 Chinese GP, if one takes place. I can't find it confirmed or even a good source, just thought I'd share. I'm not even sure what Bottas might have done to particularly annoy the Chinese?

#WeRaceAsMinusOne

So we had the Mongolian government upset with Max, and now the Chinese government potentially banning Bottas? (from what I read it's due to Bottas making a statement about how Covid originated in China - but this is all just a rumor still). Regardless, since when did foreign governments give a hoot about driver's comments? This seems really odd.

There's a very weird rumour doing the rounds that Bottas will be denied entry to the 2021 Chinese GP, if one takes place. I can't find it confirmed or even a good source, just thought I'd share. I'm not even sure what Bottas might have done to particularly annoy the Chinese?

#WeRaceAsMinusOne
When asked at the end of the Turkish GP about "had that been the worst day of 2020 so far?", he replied "Yes, although maybe the day someone ate a bat in Wuhan" (to paraphrase).

The whole "China getting angry about it" seems to be a rumour being discussed without many sources, but Mercedes did have to clarify the comments on Chinese social media.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/18...han-bat-comment-in-chinese-social-media-post/

ayej5YV_460s.jpg

It will be an absolute scandal if Hamilton doesn't win BBC Sports Personality of the Year again. With not much other sport having happened this year, can you name any British sports person who's done anywhere near as much as Hamilton this year?

Back