2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

As expected --> Mazepin officially confirmed for Haas today

upload_2020-12-1_9-3-23.png

He has, in his own words, mild symptoms. Good job everyone was wearing masks.

I think Guttierez is Mercedes' reserve driver this season but what an opportunity this would be for George Russell.
Vandoorne is their reserve.

This is exactly why Lewis has been so determined to not take his championship lead for granted over the season. At least the title is now decided and it's not him winning/losing the title because a rival caught COVID and had to miss races.

Hamilton has not missed a single race in his career, so that 265 race streak has now come to an end.

As for his replacement, Vandoorne has been doing FE commitments recently, and I think Gutiérrez is elsewhere. They could give it to Hülkenberg but I'd really love to see George get a go. Any of those four drivers would be capable of winning the race.

Last edited:
Someone reporting on a Youtube feed that the Hulks gonna jump in for LH, not sure whether to believe or not. :confused::lol::crazy:

Vandoorne, Hulkenberg and Russell are probably the only 3 candidates.
Vandoorne is the official reserve and will travel to Bahrain anyway after he finishes the Formula E test today.
Hulkenberg has proven this season he is a perfect reserve.
Russell depends on Williams allowing him to move across and them to get Aitken up from Formula 2.

Vandoorne is most likely.

Vandoorne, Hulkenberg and Russell are probably the only 3 candidates.
Vandoorne is the official reserve and will travel to Bahrain anyway after he finishes the Formula E test today.
Hulkenberg has proven this season he is a perfect reserve.
Russell depends on Williams allowing him to move across and them to get Aitken up from Formula 2.

Vandoorne is most likely.
If they move Russell, wouldn't that mean they'd jump down to take Nissany?

Vandoorne is the overwhelming favourite to land the drive, which I'm looking forward to as I really rate him. He got a bit of a harsh deal in trying to drive a poor McLaren alongside the talent of Alonso.

Russell not only causes problems elsewhere within F1, but it also causes Wolff a headache if he gets in the car and performs as well as we all expect... As much as we want to see it, it is the last thing that Wolff will need.

I'm actually very excited with Lewis not driving the next race because it opens up a few different variables and with P2 not yet decided in the DC, this should spice things up.

We'll also get to see if it's truly just the car and/or if Lewis not being in it makes any difference because I'm just so sick and tired of hearing this argument.

My vote is for Russell but I can't see that happening since he's already driving for Williams. The Hulk would be my next pick but that doesn't look like it will happen either.

Time for Bottas to shine.
But what if the reserve beats him...

EDIT: Apparently there’s a an Italian article that claims that Mercedes have asked Williams if Russell is available so that might end up happening

Last edited:
I think Russel has the best chance to get up and go in that car. Hulkenberg and Vandoorne might not be able to cope with the G-Forces straight away. It will be interesting though and I don’t expect anyone who steps into that seat to hit the ground perfectly. A podium would exceed expectations for me as they’re walking into this very late minute and with little to no seat time

I just can't believe no one wants Checo.
What an insult.

Honestly, his engine failing felt like karma to the Racing Point team for not signing him.
I've never thought of Perez being a champion, but for goodness's sake...he is single handily carrying that entire team.

Vandoorne is the overwhelming favourite to land the drive, which I'm looking forward to as I really rate him. He got a bit of a harsh deal in trying to drive a poor McLaren alongside the talent of Alonso.

Russell not only causes problems elsewhere within F1, but it also causes Wolff a headache if he gets in the car and performs as well as we all expect... As much as we want to see it, it is the last thing that Wolff will need.
Thought he was quitting as team manager. And as George's manager, it's definitely in Toto's interest to show off his driver.

I mean seeing Bottas spin more often in a single race than Vettel in a whole season could also give you a headache.

I doubt russell will get the chance considering Williams would then not have a competent driver the whole weekend..

Also it would make Wolf look like a dumbass like previously mentioned.

Can you imagine the backlash if Russell made bottas look like the little bitch he is?

I hope hulk gets it and finally makes a podium appearance. That'll help him trying to get a seat in the future

Last edited:
I think Russel has the best chance to get up and go in that car. Hulkenberg and Vandoorne might not be able to cope with the G-Forces straight away. It will be interesting though and I don’t expect anyone who steps into that seat to hit the ground perfectly. A podium would exceed expectations for me as they’re walking into this very late minute and with little to no seat time

Huelkenberg just about managed in Silverstone and the Nurburgring, and Vandoorne is still actively racing in single seaters, even if it is Formula E.

Hulk or Russel seems like a no brainer, I’ll be very surprised if Williams give up Russel though. Vandoorne has been away for too long, and was kind of anonymous during his time in F1 anyway.

Last edited:
Back