Formula 1 2020 F1 Driver Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by TenEightyOne, Feb 7, 2019.

1. numbnuts70

numbnuts70

Autosport reports Russell as the front runner (pending further negotiations) to be announced Weds morning.

I hope so but will he be able to beat Bottas at such short notice though?

Quali, I doubt it, race - another matter.

2. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

Did you confirm this by asking yourself and saying it is Russell, or is there someone other than yourself confirming it is Russell that has some level of authority to make this confirmation?

BrainsBush likes this.
  3. mustafur

mustafur

Anyone other then a driver who has a future in F1 taking that seat is a waste of time, Russell deserves the chance.

4. McLaren

McLaren Premium

5. numbnuts70

numbnuts70

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  6. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

Someone else within the 'Mercedes circle'. And no it's not my local Mercedes garage dealer ;)

Now also available for public to read. E.g.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

numbnuts70 likes this.
  7. NotThePrez

NotThePrez

Edit: Tree'd

Firehuntah, novcze, Jimlaad43 and 2 others like this.
  8. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

upload_2020-12-2_9-1-18.png

Firehuntah and Jimlaad43 like this.
  9. Rossell2

Rossell2

Busy morning.

Two drivers make their f1 debut this weekend. One driver makes a huge step up temporarily. Two new drivers including the son of Michael make their debut next season. And grosjean has been discharged from hospital.

Firehuntah likes this.
  10. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

According to a thread on F1 subreddit, apparently Mazepin has problematic behavioural issues. I'm not even gonna link it here because some of it are potentially NSFW.

Happy for Mick but man, that Haas is definitely no Jordan 191 :lol:

The longer Red Bull stalls, the more likely it is that Albon keeps his seat. What a travesty for Perez.

11. andrea

andrea

12. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Do it like this:

Reddit thread on the subject, lots of NSFW discussion.

LeGeNd-1 likes this.
  13. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

He's cut from the same cloth as Santino Ferrucci: a rich, spoilt brat.

14. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

Mazepin's the polar opposite to Lance Stroll, when you think of it. Both of them are there because of daddy's money, but they couldn't have more different attitudes about it.

15. SlowGrayAudi

SlowGrayAudi

I love their sense of humor about it.

16. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

Agree!

This was from this morning (CET)

upload_2020-12-2_18-55-17.png

17. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

As much as I would love to see a countryman have a go at it, Russell's the only logical choice in my opinion. He is in form, he has been active for the entire season already, and his move to Mercedes probably is happening anyway.

18. EngieDiesel

EngieDiesel

So interesting fact about Mazepin: His father has made overtures about buying both Force India and Williams in the past. I've been suspecting that Gene Haas might be wanting out of F1 and looking for someone to sell the team to, and this isn't exactly dispelling that theory.

19. artem9000

artem9000

The hype about Grosjean heroism is just unbearable. He's dangerous, reckless idiot somehow got in F1 and ended his career in a ball of fire in the barrier. Incredible level of luck saved his (and others) life. Again!
    Just look at this, he would be banned in any serious online-community for this, SMH

20. Racing_Miku

Racing_Miku Premium

No point dragging up the past, that was 2018, since then Grosjean has kept himself well above water and has been on the receiving end of other driver's incidents that he tried to avoid when he can.

The man is still here thanks to the safety of current F1 cars and it has been proven he was in the wrong place at the wrong moment for that to happen to him and if that is how his F1 career ends it's a very sad memory, this is all I have to say, no fanboy as when he gets things wrong I would say so but I do not see the need to drag his past mistakes into the current situation.

FoRiZon, Firehuntah, LeGeNd-1 and 6 others like this.
  21. artem9000

artem9000

Not logical at all. Mercedes have two drivers for cases like this: Vandoorne and Gutierrez. Also Mercs already won title and don't risk anything, they could just park #44 without any consequences. Williams is still in hope to earn some points and battle with Haas for 9th place (and ~$2 mln prize money), they need Russel for every race.
    George deserved a full-year contract for the next year, but Toto still playing the safe game and ruining guy's career as well as he ruined Wehrlein's.

He's not learning anything and he's dangerous. That track-crossing move was absolutely crazy, I wonder why he didn't get penalty for it. Imagine being on the Kvyat place in that moment.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  22. Racing_Miku

Racing_Miku Premium

There was a very accurate piece of info showing during the repair period which clearly showed car shrapnel hitting Grosjean's front right tyre during that incident which probably triggered a puncture and started to cause the car to head in that direction and he was trying to correct, either way it's an incident it should be left at that.

Changes will happen in F1 and he's not racing now so what's happened has happened as I doubt he will be able to come back for final race depending how long he is in recovery.

Also here is his current 'accident report'
    https://www.statsf1.com/en/romain-grosjean/abandon.aspx

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  23. Rossell2

Rossell2

You may disagree with his racing record but do you disagree with the humanity on display here?

24. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

No, if that was the case he would have been steering the other way (or less than was required for the car's rotation). You can see from the onboard that he's making a positive steering action across Kvyat. Grosjean is to blame for this accident.

That doesn't mean we can't still be extremely relieved that he's okay.

25. artem9000

artem9000

What a trash bin that r/formula1. "Replying to a disrespectful comment towards Yuki Tsunoda with a emoji" – are they serious?

Mazepin and Stroll got too much hate for their families money. I respect these guys even more than those Ocon-like stories which parents sold their home to finance son's career etc. Because when your father is that rich, they could just sniff coke on a mega yacht parked in Mykonos with models from IMG all day long for their whole life. Instead of it they wake up with sunset, run 10 km and go to the gym, no parties, no alcohol. Most of these critic clowns would consume their privilege, instead of searching motivation to work on themselves.

26. kungtotte_

kungtotte_

Let's not go overboard here. Yeah, being an F1 driver is a lot of hard work and that's commendable that they choose to put in that effort. But it's not like they're working in a coal mine.

TheCracker likes this.
  27. mustafur

mustafur

You respect people more for not taking up the urge of sniffing coke compared to a family who puts their lively-hood on the line for their childs dream.

Yeah ok.

Scaff, FoRiZon, TenEightyOne and 3 others like this.
  28. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

Gutierrez doesn't even have a Superlicense... He last raced F1 in 2016, he is no way even possibly a remote option for that seat.

29. Milouse

Milouse

I was too lazy to translate it when i saw Grosjean's itw 48h ago, but someone on reddit did it. It's worth reading.

Edit: You can instead listen to an equivalent english ITW on this later post /EditEnd

Interviewer : Romain you do remember every single moment, right? We often praised your excellent physical condition which helped you stay conscious. Do you remember everything?

Grosjean : Yes. Everything. I remember the impact, despite the shocking figures, 53G, but for me it didn't seem that violent. I remember undoing my seatbelt, trying to get out of the car, finding out I'm stuck. I said to myself "Well I must be upside down no problem they will come and get me" so I sat down again. I waited a bit, looked at my left a saw a big orange color, and at first I didn't understood what that was. Then I realized there was fire, tried to get out from the right, didn't manage to, tried to get out from the left and didn't managed to so I sat down once again. I thought of Niki Lauda, sweared a bit thinking that it can't end like this, that's not possible, my last race can't be this. I sat down again and saw death, thought "this is it, I'm going to die", and my body relaxed at that moment, accepting my fate, asking myself from which side I am going to burn first, will it be hurtful? I had that thought for my kids, pulled as much as I could my left foot to try and unstuck it, that's why my shoe fell of and I managed to free my foot. I turned my head, tried to put my hands in the fire, and I saw my gloves, which are normally red turning black from burning. I obviously felt the pain in my hands, managed to pull my head out, then my torso and at the time I freed my torso I know I am going to live. My hands are burned yes but I am out of here. I then felt Ian Roberts's hand pulling the top of my overall to make me come down on the right side of the rail. I have no idea whereas I am on fire or not, he taps my back so I don't know if I am a human fireball walking or if there isn't any fire anymore. I shook my hands, felt they were burned, removed my gloves quickly as to prevent my skin from sticking to them if they are... You know the image of the skin detaching. So I removed both of my gloves instantly, my feet hurt, it was almost there that I felt the most pain at that moment. I arrived at the safety car, the medical car, the doctor talked to me, I sat down and they told me "the ambulance is there we will put you on the stretcher". I told them "no, I want to go by foot, I want the helicopter to film those images of me walking towards the ambulance to show everyone I am ok". I surely have wounds but I am able to walk, I was still in control on that side. Then the pain started to intensify and to hurt. I arrived at the medical center, saw Jean Todt, who asked me my wife's number. We tried to call Marion, one of the only number I know by heart. I give him the number, we try to call, she doesn't answer, and Jean tried and tried and tried again until I hear him say "Marion it's Jean Todt, I'm with Romain!". He puts the phone on speaker and I remember saying "mosquito it's me I'm here". I hear Marion on the other side bursting in laughter, crying at the same time, I heard my dad behind and my kids. They knew I was here, conscious and alive.

Source

30. artem9000

artem9000

It’s not just a child’s dream, Ocon’s parents was rational enough to believe that these investments will be profitable in the end. It’s common story for many parents.

On the other side is searching for motivation in achieving new limits where you could take everything as granted. It’s a pure self-competition without any ‘profit’ stimulus. Much harder than you could imagine.