2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

Top rumour: Albon will race in DTM in 2021 "when it doesn't clash with his RB duties". I'm not sure he's going to have a lot of RB duties, so that's him clear for the season :)

Last edited:
A partial DTM schedule would be a good move for Albon imo. Rather than whither away in the simulator or the bench this year, Albon can still get some proper racing under his belt and keep his skills in check, while also honing in his aggressive driving style in much more equal machinery relative to his competitors, all in a much lower-pressure environment. Only major concern would be the speed difference between F1 and GT3, but I imagine his Test driver duties can help make up for that.

Plus, it's important to remember that the goal for this year is to potentially get him back in the car in 2022. I'd say some CQB racing on top of his simulator duties keeping him up to speed with both the current and 2022 cars will do more to help him than hurt him.

Edit: Or maybe he pulls an Alex Rossi and ditches F1 for DTM/GT3 out of enjoyment.

Last edited:
I actually don't think DTM is the best place for any Formula One driver post-F1 career but I'd rather keep an open mind and hope that it works out for him.

Agreed. He's very likeable although I don't know if he had enough of a steel edge to cut through the F1 atmosphere.

A partial DTM schedule would be a good move for Albon imo... honing in his aggressive driving style in much more equal machinery relative to his competitor...

Snipped that a bit, but the more I think about it the more I think you could be right. Might give him that edge.

Red Bull driver's management is absolutely crazy nowadays. Imagine put Leclerc or Norris in DTM now.

Yes, with Leclerc 13-4 on quali, Norris 8-8 and Albon 0-17 that's the perfect comparison.

Whatever the reasons Albon hasn't produced the performances that we and Red Bull thought he was capable of. If you said that was partly down to the internal atmosphere/dynamic at Red Bull I'd agree. If you pointed out that Albon has been hired as a 2021 driver by Red Bull's F1 team I'd also agree, because it's true. The fact remains that Red Bull had the chance to put Perez in the car on race days. As much as I like Albon I think Perez will do a better job in the car and in the high-pressure garage.

Haas posted video with Mazepin in Instagram and it got about 10K likes for 67K views. It's ~15% of engagement. Video with Mick Schumacher got 22% engagement. Seems those haters in comments and Reddit don't matter much.

Haas posted video with Mazepin in Instagram and it got about 10K likes for 67K views. It's ~15% of engagement. Video with Mick Schumacher got 22% engagement. Seems those haters in comments and Reddit don't matter much.
A few things here.

Firstly, 22% is 50% larger than 15%. Secondly, buying likes (and views) is a thing that exists, so it's probably not best to put a whole load of stock in that sort of thing.

However, if you do, Haas posted these 24hr apart. First was Mick Schumacher:

5.7k Likes for a picture.

Then came the other driver:

2.3k Likes for a video.

Oh, there's also another significant difference between the two posts as well: the comment count. The picture has 186 comments, and despite being about Mick Schumacher about 75% of them contain the #WeSayNoToMazepin hashtag or a related image. The video has 2,600 comments, which are almost exclusively reaction gifs/images suggesting that the commenter thinks the content is bad or unwise, and the #WeSayNoToMazepin hashtag.

Views and Likes are easy to fake; you can buy 500 Likes for $10. Comments (one way or the other) are a lot more expensive - though given the nationalities of the largest comment farms and the driver in question, it's a surprise not to see more positivity for the guy who's apparently just as dangerous in a car he isn't driving as one he is.

It is extremely clear that there is overwhelming negativity about Mazepin. This shouldn't be surprising.

Last edited:
Oh, there's also another significant difference between the two posts as well: the comment count. The picture has 186 comments, and despite being about Mick Schumacher about 75% of them contain the #WeSayNoToMazepin hashtag or a related image. The video has 2,600 comments, which are almost exclusively reaction gifs/images suggesting that the commenter thinks the content is bad or unwise, and the #WeSayNoToMazepin hashtag.

Views and Likes are easy to fake; you can buy 500 Likes for $10. Comments (one way or the other) are a lot more expensive - though given the nationalities of the largest comment farms and the driver in question, it's a surprise not to see more positivity for the guy who's apparently just as dangerous in a car he isn't driving as one he is.

It is extremely clear that there is overwhelming negativity about Mazepin. This shouldn't be surprising.
Never has one man been so hated before he's even turned a wheel in an F1 car. Yes, he has done some regrettable things but I'll reserve my judgement of him as an F1 driver until he's out on track competing. People should give him a chance.

The way engagement's being calculated is off by how most people judge how a post has done, from my experience. It seems only the views & likes on each post is being considered, while I believe analytics usually take the total followers of the IG account into their calculations when addressing engagement. In which case, according to 1 site, the Mazepin post is at a 1% engagement & Mick's is at 1.9% when adjusted for follower counts.

On average, it calculates Haas' avg. engagement rate is at 2.84%. Out of the last 8 posts, the engagement rates are listed at 2.8% (Mick), 1.0% (Mazepin), 2.7% (Mick), 3.0% (Car), 1.9% (Mick), 1.8% (Mick), 3.3% (Car), 9.1% (K Mag.). It's further illustrated below: Mazepin is Post #2, the least amount of likes, yet by far the most commented.
mickmaze.jpg

For a post trying to act like "haters & Reddit" don't matter, the fact Mazepin's post isn't seeing anywhere near the engagement of other posts, yet being commented on a ton, says otherwise; they're flat out "disliking" his posts & voicing their disdain.

Last edited:
On average, it calculates Haas' avg. engagement rate is at 2.84%. Out of the last 8 posts, the engagement rates are listed at 2.8% (Mick), 1.0% (Mazepin), 2.7% (Mick), 3.0% (Car), 1.9% (Mick), 1.8% (Mick), 3.3% (Car), 9.1% (K Mag.). It's further illustrated below: Mazepin is Post #2, the least amount of likes, yet by far the most commented.
Selection isn't correct, past 8 days there were few photos of Mick and one video of Nikita. Videos get less likes and engagement, photo of Mick got 40K likes and video with him is about 22K, it's 44% drop.
The latest photo of Nikita got 44K likes, it's the same level of Mick, crazy number to be said considering Mick's last name. Photo made before all the scandals and there could be a (possible) drop today, we should wait for new photos when Mazepin will come to the team base for seat fitting.

A few things here.

Firstly, 22% is 50% larger than 15%. Secondly, buying likes (and views) is a thing that exists, so it's probably not best to put a whole load of stock in that sort of thing.

However, if you do, Haas posted these 24hr apart. First was Mick Schumacher:

5.7k Likes for a picture.

Then came the other driver:

2.3k Likes for a video.

Can't really get serious Twitter audience analytics at first, then comparing photo and video is another thing at second (read above). All of these hashtags and other offensive cyberbullying accumulated in petition against Mazepin figures. 46 thousand votes from 461 millions of F1 audience. 0,01% is not much I would say.

Last edited:
Videos get less likes and engagement
Yet more than ten times as many people commented on the video (almost exclusively calling it a bad idea or sharing the #WeSayNoToMazepin hashtag) as on the image (which also contained that, but in a smaller proportion).
All of these hashtags and other offensive cyberbullying accumulated in petition against Mazepin figures. 46 thousand votes from 461 millions of F1 audience. 0,01% is not much I would say.
"Offensive cyberbullying" :lol:

By your... bizarre understanding of statistics, 2.3k Likes is 0.005% of the global F1 audience, so 99.995% of F1 fans don't like Mazepin. That isn't how it works, but it seems to be how you think it works.

Selection isn't correct, past 8 days there were few photos of Mick and one video of Nikita. Videos get less likes and engagement, photo of Mick got 40K likes and video with him is about 22K, it's 44% drop.
The latest photo of Nikita got 44K likes, it's the same level of Mick, crazy number to be said considering Mick's last name. Photo made before all the scandals and there could be a (possible) drop today, we should wait for new photos when Mazepin will come to the team base for seat fitting.

Can't really get serious Twitter audience analytics at first, then comparing photo and video is another thing at second (read above). All of these hashtags and other offensive cyberbullying accumulated in petition against Mazepin figures. 46 thousand votes from 461 millions of F1 audience. 0,01% is not much I would say.
If ever there was a post that's the embodiment of the phrase "Clutching at Straws", it's this one.

Yet more than ten times as many people commented on the video (almost exclusively calling it a bad idea or sharing the #WeSayNoToMazepin hashtag) as on the image (which also contained that, but in a smaller proportion).

"Offensive cyberbullying" :lol:

By your... bizarre understanding of statistics, 2.3k Likes is 0.005% of the global F1 audience, so 99.995% of F1 fans don't like Mazepin. That isn't how it works, but it seems to be how you think it works.

Yes, few hatred comments even get 200-300 likes. From 1,2 millions audience, still not impressing.
Why use Twitter smaller stats when we have the bigger IG one? Small selections always less representative. I started from comparing videos of Mick and Nikita and there's not much drop in Mazepin acceptance. That's it.

If ever there was a post that's the embodiment of the phrase "Clutching at Straws", it's this one.

No, IG audience likes Nikita a lot. This is why he's still in the team, no one cares about Reddit.

Last edited:
Never has one man been so hated before he's even turned a wheel in an F1 car. Yes, he has done some regrettable things but I'll reserve my judgement of him as an F1 driver until he's out on track competing. People should give him a chance.

If it wasn't for the fact that this driver has, among other things, put the lives and safety of his fellow drivers at risk (on multiple occasions, including the F2 race after his F1 seat was confirmed), physically assaulted another driver during a practice session, creepily implied/threatened to out Geroge Russel as gay, and has shown to be a generally unsavory person no matter what, I might be inclined to agree with you.

He's shown that he is immature (to put it lightly), does not care about the consequences of his actions or how they may effect others, and has little respect for his fellow drivers on the track. The dude has no business being in a race car, let alone an F1 car, with behavior like that, and his bad reputation is 100% of his own doing.

If it wasn't for the fact that this driver has, among other things, put the lives and safety of his fellow drivers at risk (on multiple occasions, including the F2 race after his F1 seat was confirmed), physically assaulted another driver during a practice session, creepily implied/threatened to out Geroge Russel as gay, and has shown to be a generally unsavory person no matter what, I might be inclined to agree with you.

He's shown that he is immature (to put it lightly), does not care about the consequences of his actions or how they may effect others, and has little respect for his fellow drivers on the track. The dude has no business being in a race car, let alone an F1 car, with behavior like that, and his bad reputation is 100% of his own doing.

You're still using Talib Kweli quote in the bottom. Man banned from Twitter for his hate and racism.

Mazepin is like the anti-Stroll.

Lance Stroll gets a lot of hate for being a pay driver with a rich father, but that's pretty much where it stops. He seems to be a nice guy, and someone who has talent hidden underneath large patches of mediocrity and really only a bad rep because he's jumped into F1 probably too early (defending F3 champion though - more than Verstappen ever got) and been in a seat that more "popular" drivers were unable to be in because of Stroll (Massa, Ocon, Perez). Other than that, he's got a pretty squeaky clean image - his only flaw outside the car appears to be a penchant to "uhhhh" in interviews all the time, but he has the right attitude when it comes to being an F1 driver - never happy unless he's winning and never (at least in public) assured that he has a drive for the next season. He came into F1 with a little bit of a reputation for causing big crashes in F3 but that's about it.

Mazepin has a slew of terrible off-track an on-track decisions (most of which the "decision" isn't having the view or doing the stupid thing, but actively posting it online into the public domain) to which he can get away with because money lol. As I said a few weeks ago when the whole "Grab-zepin" controversy happened - the fact he posted a video of him sexually assaulting a woman isn't the worst part of it, it's the fact that there has been zero consequences for his actions. This guy constantly flouts with being a 1st class douche and is able to get away with it. Haas haven't specified anything further than internal discussions as his punishment so there's been nothing public. For a driver who was already an unpopular choice to be promoted to F1 (having finished 5th in F2, behind two much more highly rated drivers that didn't get promoted), none of this helps except mean the fans will of course continue to resent and protest his inclusion on the grid. He has a tall mountain to climb and none of the silence that has happened since.

Yes, Mazepin has fans and I can't deny that Russians will be excited to see another driver representing their flag on the grid, but holy crap can't you find an investor who can buy Shwartzmann the seat instead? He's a far better driver and a helluva lot better human being than grabby mc grabboob.

You're still using Talib Kweli quote in the bottom. Man banned from Twitter for his hate and racism.

grasping-at-straws-gif-3.gif

And Kweli having an idiot moment and getting himself banned off of Twitter disproves...what, exactly? Or are you just going to keep deflecting to a completely off-topic situation?

If you want to talk about Talib Kweli being an idiot and getting himself banned off of Twitter, make a post about it in the O&CE subforum, and I'll respond to it time permitting.

grasping-at-straws-gif-3.gif

And Kweli having an idiot moment and getting himself banned off of Twitter disproves...what, exactly? Or are you just going to keep deflecting to a completely off-topic situation?

If you want to talk about Talib Kweli being an idiot and getting himself banned off of Twitter, make a post about it in the O&CE subforum, and I'll respond to it time permitting.

It's just ironic, not problem at all.

It's just ironic, not problem at all.
And you don't seem to grasp the irony of calling someone else out for having a quote from a person who got banned for one tweet, while defending a man who's got a past of misogyny and violent conduct. It's truly comical.

And you don't seem to grasp the irony of calling someone else out for having a quote from a person who got banned for one tweet, while defending a man who's got a past of misogyny and violent conduct. It's truly comical.
It's subjective statement, Mazepin not banned anywhere and has a seat in F1.

Mazepin not banned anywhere and has a seat in F1.
Which is the major problem - he should be banned and shouldn't have a seat. For talent and attitude - both on and off the track - reasons.

Last edited:

If you saw F2, you'd know it was nothing special. While he wasn't completely talentless, he was only mildly quick and was clueless when it came to racing side by side. His defending is an actual joke and is something that would normally result in a black flag or penalty. Without his financial backing, he would have never been considered for an F1 seat. Especially since we have a much more talented pool of drivers to choose from.

If you saw F2, you'd know it was nothing special. While he wasn't completely talentless, he was only mildly quick and was clueless when it came to racing side by side. His defending is an actual joke and is something that would normally result in a black flag or penalty. Without his financial backing, he would have never been considered for an F1 seat. Especially since we have a much more talented pool of drivers to choose from.
I watched F2 and Mazepin was penalised for pushing Tsunoda in Spa when Ilott wasn't penalised for exactly same move in Spain. HiTech is a new team and 5th place for them is amazing result. Nikita's skills are great.

Back