2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

The entire grid of drivers is free from their contracts at the end of this year. When was the last time this happened, if ever?

Could argue Verstappen and Leclerc are separate from Ocon and Perez in that they had contracts expiring at the end of 2020 as well, but are only signed up as a result of early extensions being agreed.

I miss the days when being a test driver used to mean something. These days it's the odd Friday practise session if you're lucky.

Yeah, a test driver is really just "the guy we'll likely put in if someone is sick or breaks their leg"...and I'd imagine heaps of simulator time. Simulator time isn't controlled via the rules is it? I know they were (or have) going to cap wind tunnel time, etc....does that include digital versions?

Yeah, a test driver is really just "the guy we'll likely put in if someone is sick or breaks their leg"...and I'd imagine heaps of simulator time.

They do have their uses. Or at least they used to. Mika Häkkinen spoke extremely highly of Olivier Panis' time as McLaren test driver in 2000; Panis set times as good as, if not on occasion better, than Hãkkinen and Coulthard, which gave the two race drivers motivation as well as the chance to share feedback with someone experienced like Panis.

But that's at least two F1 generations ago and the role of test driver being a young driver kept on retainer has definitely evolved since then.

The ban on in-season testing in 2008 killed the role. Pedro de la Rosa was one of the last proper test drivers.

The role evolved more into being on the simulator during a race weekend and giving feedback that way. It's very different though, some drivers are more cut out to sim driving than others. I think Anthony Davidson's sim feedback has been highly regarded, but it does definitely seem like the worst case scenario for a driver aiming to race in Formula 1 is to accept a role as a development driver...

So it'll be... Toto Wolff and Vettel at Aston Racing Force Point Martin India F1 Team sometime soon then :).

If that’s true, I’m calling Ferrari’s 2021 lineup as Leclerc as number one and Giovinazzi as number two. Räikkönen probably won’t want to go back and Mick is still a little green in my opinion, so that leaves Giovinazzi as the only other choice besides Ferrari going shopping outside of their ecosystem.

I saw this (potential) Vettel departure coming from a mile away. I was hoping he’d be able to shake off being shown up by a new teammate, but it happened at Red Bull too, so not really surprised there. I doubt he’s going to be able to find another seat at the same level as the one he could have kept at Ferrari, so I foresee a retirement coming at the end of the year for Vettel.

Mercedes has the most successful lineup in the past decade, so I think they’re quite comfortable for now, and Red Bull is going in fully on their young drivers, so I don’t see any top-of-the-field opportunities for Vettel anymore anyways.

To be honest, the only reason I want Giovinazzi at Ferrari is that he’s the least likely to cause any drama at the team in my opinion. Leclerc is top dog at Ferrari now and because of that, Vettel left. What Ferrari really needs is somebody that’s not going to cause a Brazil 2019 with Leclerc and still be able to make podiums or consistant finishes.

Also if Raikkonen and Giovinazzi both move on from Alfa Romeo, then Ferrari has some space on its B-team for Schumacher and somebody else to get some F1 action under their belts.

Last edited:
Apparently it's also rumored (though with a lot less to back it up) that Vettel has received offers from both McLaren and Renault. I kinda hope the McLaren one is false, if only because they currently have my favorite overall driver line-up.

One thing's for sure, I hope Vettel doesn't retire. Even being a 4X WDC, I think he still has plenty of fight in him, and can still win races and maybe even another title. His personality is also great and adds a lot to the sport. Losing the interactions he has with Lewis as rivals would be a major blow to F1.

Browses reddit thread

So someone suggested the ultimate timeline: Vettel leaves Ferrari, Lewis wins 7th WDC, Bottas gets the boot (would also make me sad), Toto signs Vettel as Lewis' teammate.

I'm down for Vettel at Renault with Ricciardo again, if Ricciardo isn't going anywhere which is also rumored...

I'm down for Vettel at Renault with Ricciardo again, if Ricciardo isn't going anywhere which is also rumored...

As much as I would love for that to happen, I'm pretty doubtful. Renault have seemingly always wanted a French driver, and Ocon is contracted through to at least 2021.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong there. Renault have clearly put a lot of stock into Danny, so Ocon would be getting the boot if anybody.

Vettel is to Kimi as Leclec could be to Hulk...

Nico, your podium is calling!! :P

In all seriousness, I hope Danny Ric gets the call. Between him, Gio, or Sianz, I think Daniel is world championship material. Question is, does Ferrari really want two #1s? Probably not, unfortunately.

Would Daniel play 2nd to get the 2nd best car on the grid with the most iconic name? I think he's made his money and although he'd be 2nd driver he'd jump at the opportunity. With reg changes around the corner who knows how it shakes up the grid. Ferrari could also use an experienced driver to help develop.

Would Daniel play 2nd to get the 2nd best car on the grid with the most iconic name? I think he's made his money and although he'd be 2nd driver he'd jump at the opportunity. With reg changes around the corner who knows how it shakes up the grid. Ferrari could also use an experienced driver to help develop.
I think the argument is for how confident he is in his own ability. He was the number 2 at Red Bull in 2014 but outperformed Vettel, like LeClerc did this year. If he thinks he can beat LeClerc, 1 on 1, then he can force Ferrari’s hand into treating him with equal or number 1 status. Either way, a Danny Ric + LeClerc lineup will have me cheering hard for Ferrari again

I think he can go there as like a 1.5 driver, someone who they will give equal status to if he can prove himself and someone who has to accept 2nd status if he is behind in the tables.

He isn't a combative driver so he would be easier to deal with when put in a two first driver sceniaro anyway, I thought Ferrari dealt with that pretty good in the late 2000s.

It's a buyer's market for Ferrari (for any team) right now and they'll be looking for ways to cut costs at a difficult time in the global economy.

Vettel may not be the first driver who we see getting offered far less than he anticipated.

Last edited:
So now that another multi-world champion is leaving Ferrari pretty much empty handed, a massive gap has been opened in the driver market. Now, whoever is going to fill that valuable second seat, depends on what Ferrari is looking for. If they want to have another strong driver that could potentially fight for world titles and unsettle Charles, then we'll either see Ricciardo or Sainz filling up the vacant seat. But seeing what happened last year between Seb and Charles (the crash in Brazil, the constant disobeying of team orders), then it wouldn't be stupid to think that they would much rather have a driver that could play second fiddle in the team. In that case, we might get someone like Antonio Giovinazzi (being Italian could help him), Valtteri Bottas or even Kevin Magnussen.

One thing is certain. We are heading into very interesting times with the driver market, which could give us plenty of unpredictable changes, now mostly set in motion by Seb leaving Ferrari.

Back