2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
48B252D7-2BB7-4A5C-9087-30796BFFC159.jpeg

Switched to Peugeot at the last minute. Knew having an FF would be a challenge. Qualified 12th starting on Mediums. Like others pitted lap 11 for Softs. Had moved up to 6th with 2 laps to go and had someone make a move on me on the last corner and knocked me wide. I picked up a track limit penalty and ended up finishing 10th so was pretty annoyed about that :mad: They did apologise after though.

BC928570-0A95-4B94-9732-90A3A63EFBF9.jpeg

Chose Honda this time, haven't before and the NSX is pacy on most tracks Gr.3 and the Gr.4 seems to be a bit gruntier than the 86/Cayman for marginally worse tyre deg.

Went 3/3 in weaker lobbies tonight because of DR reset. Max points 93. Basically sat behind a few one lap wonder Scirocco's for a few laps then reeled them in and dropped them after around lap 6. Nothing more satisfying than seeing FF's fade away in races.

Last edited:
Went from 11th to 5th starting on mediums and finishing on softs for 119 points. Glad to see the back of it!

I’d love to think it’s the difference between the 86 and the Vantage that allows moves like those.

It’s definitely not, but I’d love to think it is. Seriously good driving man.

I thought your PSN ID looked familar this evening. Always good to see someone else on GTPlanet

Last edited:
Back after a wee hiatus and looking forward to this season. Choose Ferrari (for no clear reason) so I will see what it has to offer.
Jury is still out on strategy for tonight, although after some practice I'm comfortable no stopping if I have to. I think I will depend who is in the lobby and how qualy goes. Good luck to all

Decided to represent Chevrolet this season. What you guys think about strategy for tomorrow race? 1 stop? 2 stops? I did some simulation, went 9M/11S/3S yes I know stupid idea;) So I think 10S/13M?

Dang, the Vette sounds like it drinks fuel like I drink beer. :lol::cheers:
The Mustang can make it with no fuel refill but with a little short shifting.
Good luck this season everyone and remember to have fun!

:gtpflag:

I've done 3 practice races and the 'Vette can go without refueling with minimal short-shifting. Tires I'm still trying to figure out, on the other hand. I start getting drop off on the softs around L9 but I really don't want to do a 2 stop here...

I've done 3 practice races and the 'Vette can go without refueling with minimal short-shifting. Tires I'm still trying to figure out, on the other hand. I start getting drop off on the softs around L9 but I really don't want to do a 2 stop here...
I didn't short shift at all in my practice races and had about 0.7 laps of fuel left at the end. My tire wear was similar to yours. I was just gonna do a 10S/13M or maybe 9S/14M.

I have signed up for the Manufacturers' Series for the first time this week. I decided to sign with Peugeot, mostly because I spent a week racing in it at Sardegna and got into a bit of a groove with it. I have to admit that I was totally clueless with regards to strategy and am probably guilty of just pushing every lap. I have done lots of different trial runs of differing combinations to see what works best for me - I guess that this will change for each person based on how consistent they are between compounds and how well they can look after the tyres - and have found that there are probably 3 options open to me, depending on what goes on in the race. I have no idea where I am likely to be on the grid and, having never tried out this type of racing, I also have no idea what to expect in terms of behaviour from opponents (I am hoping that the divebombers stick to the daily races).

I have found that the one stop is the best option for me but, coincidentally, this was also my smoothest and most consistent run so the difference in time between this strategy and the 2 other strategies I identified (both 2 stop) could be smaller than I think. It's good to have options before the race though as I am guessing that having that adaptability could give a better result if you're able to escape getting caught up in traffic.

Well I just finished my first race and I have to say that was quite enjoyable. Firstly, I managed to qualify in 3rd place. Secondly, nobody divebombed on the first corner that I was aware of. Thirdly, I finished in third place with the top 3 being involved in a constant battle until about 18 or 19 laps in when the leader pulled away a few seconds and 2nd place pulled a couple of seconds away from me.

Still, I only got my A rating about a week ago and this was my debut in the Manufacturer Series so, all in all, I am pretty made up with what I managed to do today!

Last edited:
A spectacular first outing for my S rank as somewhere mid-race I end up sandwiched between two Sciroccos at the first corner - the fastest and slowest (8th) qualifying FFs, incidentally - as one goes for a massive dive on the other, knocks him off the track. I then end up stuck between them on the run up to the second corner and get put off. I may as well try again.

Seemed like a lot of two stoppers in my race.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with VW, McLaren or Aston this season but I can't decide. This season doesn't really matter and I really feel like driving a car that looks a bit like a sandal but then I can't drive the bug, which I really want to do more. I would pick the GT1 Aston for the sound, that alone would make me happy even if I came last. I loved the McLarens some people suggested before jumping on the Chevy train last time, which I might get back on next year.

When do we get to pick again?

82EFFB01-E809-428A-86BF-EAA9C5F8128C.jpeg

So first race of the season done. Had already thought ‘what have i done signing for Jag’ when I could only qualify 16th! :lol:

On Mediums, had moved up to P12 by the time I came in for Softs lap 12. Caught a couple of strugglers and then spent last 5 laps on the back bumper of another Jag but couldn’t get past. Satisfied with 10th.

43E52223-0553-4C93-B40D-E81DCDD817C9.jpeg

Round one over and it was good fun in the Ferrari. I did a decent job in qualifying with a 52.223 to start in 5th.

The start went well as I was right on the tail of the Atenza infront where I made a move into T1 with a little bit of contact (I apologised after) put me into 4th only for a Viper to pass me as I served a 0.5 second penalty because T1 is BS for 5th later that stint.
I pitted on lap 11 for the medium tyre and rejoined just behind the Viper in 11th/12th respectively. Rejoining in and passing traffic cost me a few seconds at least compared to the Viper. Had a brief fight with a 2 stopping Lexus from laps 14-16. Another Random 1 second penalty later put me behind that same Atenza again for 6th. Finish 7th overall after more random track limits penalties for 112 points. Happy with those points for a Gr4 race.
Be careful if track limits here, it definitely seems a bit random.

If you're new to FIA races, not a silly question at all. 👍 No, you don't. You'll get a minute on the lobby screen after qualifying ends where you can go into your car settings and change them.

Thanks for the quick reply, My session starts in 6 minutes. I haven't really got stuck into FIA races since the game released

Qualified second with a 51.715 with the first three being within 0.1 seconds of one another. Polesetter was in the SLS AMG. I've realized during testing that the Scirocco is really fast on the first few laps but then starts to lose ground on the other cars as the tyres diminish. The race reflected this. I overtook the polesetter on the first lap but only managed to grow the gap to about 0.8 seconds in lap 3 before I started losing my pace. The British guy I had just overtaken kept close by until both of us got a shortcut penalty at the beginning of lap 8. He almost overtook me on the next right/left corner but I managed to just hold him off (that bit of the track is particularly bad in the Scirocco, especially on worn tyres). Our penalties equalized out one another and I went into the pits on lap 9 to change to Mediums. Since I was under pressure from behind I overcooked the entrance slightly and picked up another 0.5 second penalty in the process. When I came out there was a group of 5-6 cars right behind me but I managed to get away thanks to the forgiving penalty zone. The polesetter pitted in lap 10 and came out about 1.6 seconds behind me. From there on the gap grew to over two seconds in lap 12 but then gradually started to come down again. When it got to under 0.5 seconds in lap 20 the pressure was on again. On lap 22 I lost 1st place in that accursed right/left combination and was ready to make my peace with 2nd. However at the end of the lap the polesetter accidentally cut the final corner and picked up a penalty in the process. Due to the straight line speed of the Scirocco I could even have launched an attack into t1 but didn't want to risk having an incident on the final lap and decided to stay behind. When the leader got himself another penalty at the exit of t1 I knew all I had to do was just to stay close behind and take first place when he would serve it. It just goes to show that avoiding penalties is essential in these races.

EnrunTQW8AA4XNk

Last edited:
Manufacturers rd1 - Hyundai at RBR

Was going into this with wish to get a decent result (thought I will take any top10). Not getting the flow on the short version(unlike full RBR track which is one of my strongest tracks) and also based on timetrial testing the Hyundai Gr.4 was one of my weakest Gr.4 cars.

I did a decent quali, 51.8 - enough for starting in P9. My strategy - start on the mediums, keep it clean and avoid any penalties then go on the offensive in the 2nd part of the race. The start was nothing special, kept my position and started to build a gap from the cars behind. Lap 3, some fighting started in the front - allowing the leader to break free and also me to come closer even though I had the tyre disadvantage. Lap6, incident at the end of sector 1 and both cars in front are out of the track. P7, with at least 1.5 gaps in front and behind. Lap 9, car in front pits so I gain another position, then the soft runners are also getting in the pits and put me temporary in P4. End of lap 12, I get in the pits, get out on Softs in P7. During the outlap, 2 cars in front(green Scirocco and white NSX) get penalties so another 2 free positions gained. Then having clean air, I start to push, breaking from the pack behind and gaining on the cars in front. I make short work of the black Jag in lap 16 in T1 after a good run on the main straight and keep going forward. Lap 18 I manage to move in P3 after a great move in Turn 2 - have a good enough exit from T1 to put the car in parallel on the inside then finish the move in the following turn. Last laps I kept it safe, the Porsche in front built enough of a gap so I knew I am not able to get P2 in the last 3-4 laps. P3 finish - 197 points and a very good debut for Hyundai.

Have good feelings about the car in race trim, the tyre usage is balanced and ok and it seems that the care is fast enough to put a decent pace there.

Went again. Family problem meant I missed qualifying. Finished 10th. Could have made a decent run at 8th but 8/9/10 were in a pack as I caught up to them. I passed 10 at the second last corner then got held up by 8th and 9th at the first corner on the next lap. 11th then passed me back and when I tried to repeat the move at the same corner I wasn't as close and I ended up getting a penalty for forcing him off. Both of us were trying our hardest to turn into the corner (he was on mediums), but it's annoying the game spoiled that. I'm taking the hint and stopping since I'm clearly getting no better out of this combo as long as the FFs are around.

In other news: It's just over a year to the day (20th Nov) since the race at this track in Gr.4 that went so badly it made me get a wheel. I'm basically back where I was a year ago. Fantastic.

I didnt record the video, but... I started at p6 and a guy ahead of me didnt move at all as auto-pilot started. So everyone behind him (p6-p20) were standing. Because of that when the race started p1-4 were 15sec ahead of the rest of everyone else. Sorry for my bad enslish. I really never saw anything like that (500+ races). WTF is that?

Race 1, bottled qualifying started 19..tried the 0 stop and finished 14. Could of better but for picking track limit penalties. I did get swamped at the end by the stoppers.
Race 2, bottled qualifying again. So started 17, finished 11..as I picked up a penalty on the last corner...or it would of been 9th.
I haven't seen another ferrari yet either, so onto race 3

17148F90-DC18-45E5-87A2-16C7DFB97CEB.jpeg

838A2EB0-9929-45CE-AD43-8279501E3BA6.jpeg

Missed the whole of last exhibition season so giving this one a go with Aston Martin.

Starting 14th, pitted lap 11 for Softs and came out dead last. Worked my way up into 9th. 8th had a penalty and as I was passing he purposely swerved over as he unghosted to block me causing me to hit him getting a 1 second penalty. Lost 9th serving my penalty. SR took a battering from that too along with being tapped on the back a couple of times by other drivers.

I didnt record the video, but... I started at p6 and a guy ahead of me didnt move at all as auto-pilot started. So everyone behind him (p6-p20) were standing. Because of that when the race started p1-4 were 15sec ahead of the rest of everyone else. Sorry for my bad enslish. I really never saw anything like that (500+ races). WTF is that?
Lag. Cars can't pass each other during the rolling start so everyone gets stuck behind anyone who has a bad connection.

Streaming my run in this rather odd little race for Dodge. I have a league race coming up, so this is a one-shot deal and I am not optimistic.

What do you guys do with the Dodge Gr.4 in terms of brake bias, by the way?

Manufacturer Series Round 1
Goodbye Mitsubishi, hello Ford. Also hello turn 1...

I thought I would have a decent qualifying pace here after doing some public lobbies over the last couple of days, but those hopes quickly evaporated after I wasted a good chunk of my qualifying by going wide on turn 1. :ouch: Pole position was a 51.009 though, so not even coming close - my best in free practice is a 51.4, and that was an anomaly! My best quali lap was a 52.284, netting me a P14 start. Not my best, but even if I'd hit around the 52.0 mark I'd still only be about P9/P10.

I started on the Mediums for a 11M/12S, and lap 1 was a bit rough to say the least. I gained a position almost immediately because the Aston Martin starting in P12 didn't turn and just plowed into the wall. However, turn 1 got me again as I washed wide under the dirty air. I then had a bit of a slide into turns 2/3 and almost got spun out. :scared: Serving the penalty dropped me back down to P16.

From there it was a slow and steady climb up the order to a P7 finish. The end was a bit tense, as I got a 1s track limits penalty on the final turn of lap 22. Thankfully the gap behind was just about big enough for it to not matter. I made a few overtakes, and the rest came from people making mistakes and/or serving penalties. 128 points had me right on the "do I or don't I go again" as I know I have the pace to compete for a much better result, but not confident about the qualifying. In the end, just going to take it and run for now!

Not my favourite track in the world (either layout) to begin with. I qualified 17th, if I'd managed to hit my PB I would've moved up to around ~10th but I'm not great at qualifying in general.

Made a silly mistake out of the final turn and almost put it into the pit wall due to flooring it on cold tyres, but managed to salvage it and keep myself in 19th. I was doing a no-stopper, partly because it was just as fast as pitting and partly because of starting so far back.

Everyone else was really gunning for it on the opening laps though, so they made a lot of mistakes which let me climb to 15th by around lap 3. After that it was just a slow and steady process of not making any mistakes and overtaking people as they made mistakes or went into the pits.

In the end I brought home a 10th place finish with a CRB, and I'm happy with that :) Much more excited about Monza as I like that track.

Streaming my run in this rather odd little race for Dodge. I have a league race coming up, so this is a one-shot deal and I am not optimistic.

What do you guys do with the Dodge Gr.4 in terms of brake bias, by the way?

+2 to the rear if you're trying to no stop. With the 1 stop I bring the bias to 0 or +1 when on the mediums. Then back to +2 with the softs on.

I managed p10 in this race with the Ferrari, starting on mediums and pitting lap 13 for softs.

After quite a while just league racing, the bad manners caught me off guard. Didn't get a clean lap in quali so started p14, I easily could have shaved a half second or more if not for the antics of others.

I let the soft starters destroy their tyres early trying to force moves, but I was held back by a couple of track limit penalties, just pushing it a bit too far a couple of times.

52pts for me and I'll leave it there - I don't expect better manners in a later slot. People really lack racecraft and some erratic driving got in my way.

Happy with the Ferrari though, if only for the sound.

Back