2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
See how we go.
Ep6I5FjVgAAGFG3

Went much quicker in this qualy.
Ep6LZoWUwAAmKlK

Last edited:
Well, was in a lobby with @05XR8 and @ShiftingGears. The good news, qually went great. Wasn't my normal screw up. It wasn't lightning fast but was a good solid lap, starting me mid pack, p12 ish.

Race starts and I get a good jump, people bogging down the start and spinning on curbs has me about p7 or 8 going into the first hairpin.

Then the rest of the race. A driver who is fast but pushy is sliding, I end up on the outside at the hairpin. I try to take it slow to let them ahead as I dont want trouble, but they are slower and wash out onto me, giving me a 1 sec. Ok, is what it is, then they are slow heading to the hard left of the chicane bit. I am trying to ease to let them sort of go without opening myself to the people behind, and he drives me straight off track. :banghead:🤬

I do a donut or 2 in the sand, drive back on in p17. Catch people and make some climbing, but with pit strategy and a couple of sloppy chicanes I am lapping down to the end in p17, but on the butt of p15 and 16. Then I clip the grass on the mini straight before the final chicane. Into the wall, wasted tires and having to reverse back onto track. Lose my 6 second lead to p18 and get passed on the main straight with slipstream. Wallow home DFL to manage my lowest score all season.

Drove solid overall, but hard when you have your tires fried before lap 1 finishes and you are then 4 seconds behind.

@ShiftingGears had the monster of all starts, was no lap so starting p19, was following me through into the first hairpin lap 1:eek:

Debating going again as slots are really early, but to be honest this does kind of match the way my Nations season has gone anyway.:indiff:

Good luck and long lasting tires to the rest of you:cheers:

Last edited:
That was wrong...

Sums up the start and sets up the finish. Green WRX got lucky, but a bit agressive at the start. A yellow Citroen that started next to that WRX, would come into play at the end of the race. Less than a handful of laps, I still had grip left, but Citroen catching me. It goes for the inside T1. I gave it buku room. It overshoots and I get the switchback. We're fighting for 4th or 5th place.

Into the left hand hairpin, it brakes mad early. I try to take myself out hoping the Citroen would at least turn into the corner. Nope. So, I release the throttle and with not much room to evade without us both going in the sand, I hope for the best. I did tap the Citroen, but it continues. I'm gathering myself and I see someone else has finished off the Citroen. I have 1 second to serve for my role.

ShiftingGears ain't far behind. I'm on worn fronts from my off. Managing a 1 second gap. Head to the mid-circuit esses and I get .5s for a wobble on the kerbs. Finish behind ShiftingGears.

That was wrong...

Sums up the start and sets up the finish. Green WRX got lucky, but a bit agressive at the start. A yellow Citroen that started next to that WRX, would come into play at the end of the race. Less than a handful of laps, I still had grip left, but Citroen catching me. It goes for the inside T1. I gave it buku room. It overshoots and I get the switchback. We're fighting for 4th or 5th place.

Into the left hand hairpin, it brakes mad early. I try to take myself out hoping the Citroen would at least turn into the corner. Nope. So, I release the throttle and with not much room to evade without us both going in the sand, I hope for the best. I did tap the Citroen, but it continues. I'm gathering myself and I see someone else has finished off the Citroen. I have 1 second to serve for my role.

ShiftingGears ain't far behind. I'm on worn fronts from my off. Managing a 1 second gap. Head to the mid-circuit esses and I get .5s for a wobble on the kerbs. Finish behind ShiftingGears.

You had a nice thread the needle moment there I'm lap 2. Very nice. Sucks about the final result though.

Last edited:
You had a nice thread the needle moment there I'm lap 2. Very nice. Sucks about the final result though.
That's the most aggressive I've ever been with both elbows out. After seeing the green WRX close up on me at the start into T1 and some bumping, I wasn't going to let him walk over me. Was hoping we could stay in touch with the leaders. Wasn't happening.
Ep6R42EVEAAORme

Last edited:
Middle slot. Ran the Porsche, Qualy was good and I started Q2 behind a Lexus and just in front of a Merc.

Merc got off the line so fast it was 1st by T1. I slot in behind the Lexus and we run that way until the back straight on lap 2. The Lexus gets a terrible run out of the right hander and I get alongside on the inside going into the hairpin. We both leave plenty of room and I make the move stick. I’m right on the back of the AMG by the end of the main straight. Mr Lexus is not too happy about being passed and tries to chuck it up the inside into the first part of the chicane. I hold my line and leave him room. As we leave the chicane he runs me wide (unintentionally I think) and gets a 1sec penalty. I’m a car length in front again by the right hander.

I spend lap 3 all over the back of the AMG and the Lexus serves his penalty. As we go into T1 on lap 4 I brake a touch early to account for the slip and then turn in. A different Lexus appears from absolutely nowhere and slams me into the sand on the far side. No penalty!!! I drop to P8 as I try and get back on track. By the end of lap 5 I’ve worked back to P5 and pit to put on mediums. Return in P8 and set to work trying to make up positions on a few running very second hand softs. By the end of my 3 lap stint on mediums I’m P5 again and I put along with 4 other cars. I come back on track in P8 again but I’m back to P5 by the end of lap 10.

The gap to the R8 in P4 is 9 seconds but I’m gapping P6 at about a second a lap. At the end of lap 12 P4 pits and comes out 0.5 seconds behind me. I hold the gap through the entire last lap and as I enter the final chicane I’m 0.4 seconds in front. That’s when the guy decides he will just outright cheat and pushes me off as I start to turn for the left hander. Again no penalty :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I finish P5 and as angry as I have ever been playing this game. In the chat afterwards I call him out and get called a sore loser. Zero self awareness from the king of sore losers.

If I can work out how to share and post video I will upload the final chicane as it was absolutely heinous behavior.

I went one and done because I was too angry to try again.

Ran again. This time I "made love to the dog" in qualifying and spun on the curb on that hairpin at the end of the back straight. Starting p17 of 19.

Get an ok start, manage to clear the chaos and start working my way up. Starting lap 5 I have just been 'aggressively' passerby a known Karen and I try to make sure not to flip their switch. Umm, failed, broke too late with slipstream and push them. I ease off to let them back in but they start trying to take me out. I figure I will fight them hard after that, but again brake too late and run off a touch. P17 again.

But from there I just drove smooth and hard, no real run ins and managed to bring it home p12. Should have been p10 but I had a 0.5 to serve on the last lap and it stopped me from passing the car I had set up and let another car pass me. They also got massively loose i the last chicane, but when i tried to pick a line past them to the finish they were wiggling so much they ended up blocking me by luck.

Improved points, overall improved drive. SR down but I have to own my mistake, also got an SR down while following someone closely as they lost it on a curb.
Although Karen still wants to call me dirty, funny after they took me out twice in the main season and once last exhibition season.:odd:

Had @ShiftingGears in there as well. They seemed to have a solid race, but were at the point end so I never even glimpsed them:lol:

:gtpflag:keep it fast and smooth and elbows out this round. :cheers:
Good Luck

Middle slot. Ran the Porsche, Qualy was good and I started Q2 behind a Lexus and just in front of a Merc.

Merc got off the line so fast it was 1st by T1. I slot in behind the Lexus and we run that way until the back straight on lap 2. The Lexus gets a terrible run out of the right hander and I get alongside on the inside going into the hairpin. We both leave plenty of room and I make the move stick. I’m right on the back of the AMG by the end of the main straight. Mr Lexus is not too happy about being passed and tries to chuck it up the inside into the first part of the chicane. I hold my line and leave him room. As we leave the chicane he runs me wide (unintentionally I think) and gets a 1sec penalty. I’m a car length in front again by the right hander.

I spend lap 3 all over the back of the AMG and the Lexus serves his penalty. As we go into T1 on lap 4 I brake a touch early to account for the slip and then turn in. A different Lexus appears from absolutely nowhere and slams me into the sand on the far side. No penalty!!! I drop to P8 as I try and get back on track. By the end of lap 5 I’ve worked back to P5 and pit to put on mediums. Return in P8 and set to work trying to make up positions on a few running very second hand softs. By the end of my 3 lap stint on mediums I’m P5 again and I put along with 4 other cars. I come back on track in P8 again but I’m back to P5 by the end of lap 10.

The gap to the R8 in P4 is 9 seconds but I’m gapping P6 at about a second a lap. At the end of lap 12 P4 pits and comes out 0.5 seconds behind me. I hold the gap through the entire last lap and as I enter the final chicane I’m 0.4 seconds in front. That’s when the guy decides he will just outright cheat and pushes me off as I start to turn for the left hander. Again no penalty :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I finish P5 and as angry as I have ever been playing this game. In the chat afterwards I call him out and get called a sore loser. Zero self awareness from the king of sore losers.

If I can work out how to share and post video I will upload the final chicane as it was absolutely heinous behavior.

I went one and done because I was too angry to try again.

feel sorry for you. Hate it when people can not accept that someone is in front of them and do things like that. Hope you can share the video of the moment.

Well I was Q11 and came 11th, can't keep tyres long so I ended up doing a 4s/5m/4s and it all sort of didn't work. Passing is hard and I was always with slower cars (yes me with people worse than me :crazy:) Then I had one idiot, you know so slow that he's really slowing you but drives all over the road so you can't pass and any contact made will give you the penalty :banghead:. Nevermind I did OK but still lost DR and SR when there were 6 B's and I was just above 4K so my door No. 8 must have been wrong.
Hopefully my Brit will do a better job, decided to stick with the same car across accounts this time and it's the Mustang, I was fairly consistently bad in all the cars I tried.

****ing shambles. Started 9th, got spun at the first corner where I'm pretty sure at least 3 other people left with penalties. Was running fairly quick compared to the cars around me before I got stuck behind a Spaniard in 14th who defended every corner with his life, including going off track at the hairpin and still squeezing me when he came back on. This was an omen of things to come, in my final stint I got stuck behind a German in a Porsche who came out the pits on mediums on lap 10 and was defending everything. I think lap 12 I ended up getting spun out by him the corner after the first sector split. I think I'll go again but I'll need a Dragon Trail race to get my SR back first.

It’ll maybe be vette or Walkenhorst for me.
The AMG was a bit better than vette last time I raced here, but I do better on the other 2 with worn tires.
The driving line is very helpful here, imo excepting the hairpin. Jmo best to take it super tight. I basically aim straight for its inner edge braking in a straight line, slow pivot and with tcs step on it. In race, it’s generally fastest and safest plus it messes up anyone behind.
Lotta people gonna get tangled there trying to sweep it from wider.
Should be fun...

Last edited:
2572BB71-6EAD-4CC2-85C4-D757FAF29D3C.jpeg

Don’t normally do Nations but it’s GR.3 and I need to carry on building my DR back! Hate this track too but had to be done :lol:

Could only manage 1:45.9 as a fastest lap in free practice so wasn’t expecting to qualify as high as 5th. AMG was quick off the line and I was into 3rd down the straight with the leader sliding off at T1 so was then up to P2. I got dive bombed on lap 5 with the bomber picking up a 2 second pen so was briefly in 3rd until he served it. Pitted for Mediums lap 7 and I really struggled from then on, losing 2nd place straight away and only just holding on for 3rd. Still hate that track!!

Well I was Q11 and came 11th, can't keep tyres long so I ended up doing a 4s/5m/4s and it all sort of didn't work. Passing is hard and I was always with slower cars (yes me with people worse than me :crazy:) Then I had one idiot, you know so slow that he's really slowing you but drives all over the road so you can't pass and any contact made will give you the penalty :banghead:. Nevermind I did OK but still lost DR and SR when there were 6 B's and I was just above 4K so my door No. 8 must have been wrong.
Hopefully my Brit will do a better job, decided to stick with the same car across accounts this time and it's the Mustang, I was fairly consistently bad in all the cars I tried.

Under 10k DR and the door number accuracy doesn't hold up, so pay no attention to that.

And Catalunya is a tough track. Try to line up your entry into the turns so that you can lift and coast a bit going into the apex, it'll really help with the tire wear.

The driving line is very helpful here, imo excepting the hairpin. Jmo best to take it super tight. I basically aim straight for its inner edge braking in a straight line, slow pivot and with tcs step on it. In race, it’s generally fastest and safest plus it messes up anyone behind.
Lotta people gonna get tangled there trying to sweep it from wider.
Should be fun...

I fully expect someone to spin and not ghost from the left curb there.

I wish track limits would be adjusted here. Any wheel on the other side of the curbs is a penalty. The fast way now is to essentially launch off the left curb. The right is more stable, but still you’re cutting it hugely.

This is seemingly a decent combo. A lot of competitive cars.

Last edited:
Nations Cup round 5 - Catalunia in the Vantage

Did not know what to choose, I was between choosing Aston Martin or the Viper. Went with the Aston in the end, but this is a track I like only in high downforce cars.

Did a messy lap for quali, 44.5 - good enough for P17 on the grid. Managed to get a good start where I gained up 6 positionsbecause other mistakes, but I managed to throw that away in the penalty zone same lap when I misjudged the speed of a Lexus who served a penalty and rammed into the back of him in the braking zone of the hairpin. No major impact for him as he managed to keep it on the track but a 1s penalty for me. From there on, my typical Catalunia Gr.3 race, bad pace and only able to pickup stranded cars. P16 and 98p

Wasn't too bad after the horror of the previous round.
Qualified P6 in my 911. Everyone was within a few tenths (at least at the front of the grid.) However Pole may have been someone reset as they were 1.9 seconds quicker than P2.
Got a decent start. First corner was mainly fine, one person was shoved wide but no massive punts or dives. Some people went wide at turn 4 on cold tyres. I found myself 4th after it settled and on the back of 3rd. However I mucked up turn 9 slightly cutting it and earned myself a 0.5 second penalty. The guy ahead somehow got away with going wide at turn 9 a few times with no penalty.
After my penalty I fell back towards a Fin in a Supra. I was better through turn 1 and 2 and they were better in the final chicane. But I kept him behind and after a lap or two caught back up with 3rd. I was aiming to pit on lap 6. By this time the pole sitter had come back through the pack and was behind me. By his qualifying I knew he was quicker so I wouldn't hold him up. However he caught me at the final chicane that lap. I was struggling on tyres a little so broke early to try and stop it. He tapped me. (He could see he was faster, just be patient through there. But then he was French. :rolleyes:)
I knew I was going wide so I thought I'd let him know I didn't appreciate it. I came back on and side tapped him after the right hander. It put him in the gravel but he still made it to the pit ahead of me. I went for 1 lap of mediums. Did the lap no issues. Went back in for softs to the end. Came out and had 0.5 seconds flashing on my screen. I guess 2 stops are illegal then. :eek:
Once I served then a South African put himself up the inside into turn 10. So I followed him for a lap. Then he outbroke himself at turn 5. I almost followed as I'd normally do. I just kept it on the track whereas he went for a drive along the gravel. This got me past and I quickly caught up the guy ahead. This Russian must be testing a new KGB device. Coming through the final turn he just ghosted. Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth I drove through him which must have surprised him as he jerked right. Either way I drove off and gained another couple of places due to quitters. Last lap I swapped places with a R8 a couple of times. (Some good cutbacks from us both) But he just managed to beat me to the line. So I ended 7th. Without my 1 second penalty I may have started where I finished. But still a nice load of DR and back to S SR. And my biggest points haul of this Nations.
So not bad. Good luck everyone.

P9 but only just held on. Beetle behind tried something into T13 on the last lap but gave me the position. 93 points.
Kept my nose clean at the start there, only screw up was on pit entry on lap 8, clipped the sodding inside wall and a 1.5 second penalty. AMG has a good launch on it aswell, even in the medium tyre.

I fully expect someone to spin and not ghost from the left curb there.

I wish track limits would be adjusted here. Any wheel on the other side of the curbs is a penalty. The fast way now is to essentially launch off the left curb. The right is more stable, but still you’re cutting it hugely.

This is seemingly a decent combo. A lot of competitive cars.

Yeah. You don’t wanna bite curb there. Just tight entry. So many get anxious and run wide or make I’ll timed overtake attempts. Better to brake early slow more but cover minimum distance and throttle out hard imo. You really can’t cover it well though without TCS. The vettes a MONSTER there with TCS. Great car in slower technical bits imo.
It’s a very balanced track. More driver than vehicle here imo.
Course I haven’t driven it in forever. I will probably qual poorly. Love the track though it really flows...

Last edited:
Great my rating is so low that there are a massive 8pts for winning this. Going to just try and repair my rating here and run again. So decided to start on Meds and see how far I can take them. I'm not significantly slower with them so a one stop might work for me. 7th on grid due to my second lap being spoiled, but 5th was about best I would have got anyway. Scrappy race, why can't people play nicely? 7th place giving a 4th place due to idiots.
7 points but 1k DR and a little SR might put me in a better match.

Last edited:
Grrrrr (I'll get to that later)

ran the Atenza in the end, got a track limits penalty in qualifying navigating the chicane on my outlap (dufus) so only had one lap that counted, qualified 12th.

Managed to get a pretty good launch off the line (which I was not expecting!) and managed to keep my nose clean through the first two corners (which I was also not expecting!). Guy in a Peugeot in front braked SUPER early into turn 4 (after the bridge) so i sailed past for p.8. I'd started n the mediums planning a two-stop but by the end of lap one I was 6 seconds ahead of p.9, figured I was in clean air and I didn't want to pit myself into the bun fight behind so switched up to a one-stop, everyone ahead pitted and I was up to 6th, which was when I managed to just, sort of, forget to turn into the left after the hairpin which meant my line was all wrong into the right hander, tried to coast round but touched the gravel so obviously spun (grrrr!) which put me down to 14th, just before pitting. So furious with myself! :banghead::banghead:

Came out 16th, couple of spinners ahead got me up to 13th, had a really good clean battle with a French guy/girl in a viper over the last two laps, eventually got it done into the first hairpin on the last lap and finished 12th. By my reckoning I would have been 8th if I hadn't spun all on my own.

8152149750815131160_0.jpg

8143142559613452816_0.jpg

8143142560150324760_0.jpg

8295701986787983896_0.jpg

8295701988935467536_0.jpg

8295701986251114008_0.jpg

More points up this time....12 :bowdown: Q8 with a fairly good time for me so hoping for mid finish. First corners and somehow I'm in 2nd :drool:. I'm on meds, but keeping up with 1st and staying about 3 secs in front of 3rd till about lap 5 when 3rd changed and speedy gonzales was after me, he got me at the start of lap 6. I should have pitted but since I go M/S/S having a 3 and 4 left to do gives some leeway. Come out in 4th, but pass skaterboy without losing much time and when the front 2 pit, lap 7, I'm in 2nd and pass on the front guy while he's warming up. Seriously both those guys were better than me so it was just a matter of time. Pit from 3rd on 10 and am 10 sec in front of 4th and 10 secs behind 1st. End in 3rd still 10 secs down and over 20 secs in front of 4th.
Give me an open track and I'm fine, it's just racing others I have a problem with. Another 1K DR and because it was all fairly clean 48 SR points sad that only takes me to A with 65 points. Enjoying this and 3 races left I could be back to C/S

Nations - Catalunya Gr.3

I initially settled on the Porsche, but I found myself struggling to consistently tackle the god-forsaken final sector. I probably would have skipped this race if it weren't for @05XR8 mentioning the Citroen. I chopped 4 tenths off my TT after working out which gears to use.

Race 1 would be a total trainwreck. I started 9th on Mediums expecting to do a 2 stop, but I got sent to the back in all of the jostling on the opening lap. The 2 stop proved to be a mistake, as I kept running into traffic all race, taking SR drops for running into other drivers, before taking a 3 second penalty for accidentally punting off an AMG at La Caixa. I finished a dismal 12th, with all but 4 drivers in the lobby losing SR.

lwkRROo.jpg

Race 2 strategy: 7M-6S, BB -2

CYaRon itasha by UMYONGE0926

Qualifying was a disappointment, as I tried to slipstream a WRX ahead, only to get a lap a full second worse than Race 1's qualifying. At least the points were worth something even in this low S SR lobby.

I had a good launch off the line, which was helped by an AMG in the back braking too late and pinballing a Lexus into me, allowing me to close the gap to 7th and 8th in the first sector while the AMG was rewarded with a 2 second penalty for his selfless sacrifice. I dove up the inside of the WRX in 7th at Repsol, but my cold Mediums ended up sending me on a wider line than expected, with the WRX forced into an even wider line as a result. Despite this mistake, we both stayed on track and I made the move stick. I was briefly up to 5th by lap 3, but my degrading Mediums meant that I gradually dropped to 8th as my stint progressed, putting me behind the WRX that I had sent wide on the opening lap.

The WRX blinked first, diving into the pits on lap 6 to switch from Softs to Mediums. I followed suit the next lap, with the opposite tyre strategy.
I leave the pits in 9th behind the WRX, but we both gain a place from a different AMG that stopped on lap 8 for Softs. As time passed, it became evident that the WRX was struggling on its Mediums, which culminated in a track penalty at Wurth and an easy pass for me. I pulled away from the WRX, with the latter succumbing to the aforementioned AMG on lap 12. While the AMG had fresher Softs and was gaining on me, I had enough of a lead to drive conservatively to a comfortable 7th for 111 points. A good result, considering how much I despise this track.

sckQVF8.jpg
B14sM6S.jpg

Race photos:

TgHzHI0.jpg
BSp68St.jpg
AYqVnbZ.jpg
WTnMsB9.jpg

The purple WRX is a different competitor that had started 2nd, but inexplicably started on Mediums. Unsurprisingly, he tumbled down the order in short order, before getting into an incident with a Porsche. Which leads us to:

Poor Racecraft

Incident 1: The purple WRX has a track penalty, but stubbornly holds on to 12th. The Porsche could have simply waited to pass him on the back straight, but instead tries to go 2-wide into Wurth. The WRX responds by shoving the Porsche off into Campsa, sending the latter spinning into the gravel. The WRX ends up taking an additional 4 seconds on top of their track penalty, dropping to 16th.

Incident 2: 2 laps later, a black/blue NSX tried divebombing the same purple WRX into Repsol for 15th, only to outbrake himself and spin out, taking a 1 second penalty for contact with the WRX. To add insult to injury, the NSX goes on to bin it again by going too wide into Wurth.

I did this in the V12 Vantage, did 30 minutes free practice beforehand and qualifying 11th. I did the 6S/1M/6S pit strategy and as usual with these races I just do my best to stay out of trouble and put in consistent laps.

Had a few good battles in the opening three laps with a French and German driver and they did take me but in fighting each other they wiped themselves out. So I just sailed by and that was basically my race. I just drove at a comfortable but consistent pace took advantage when folks got penalties or ran off track.

Finished up in 8th by the end and I am happy with that considering I don't know track too well and didn't really practice.

I think I'll just keep away from nations for this season. Ran a few dailies with no issues.

As soon as I tried to enter the nations, I was disconnected. 2nd nations race day where this has happened. My network isn't the greatest, but literally only getting disconnected from these races.

I'll stick to the manufacturers. Waiting for interlagos then I guess.

Good luck to all of you.

Back